Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We're talking about October '15 and were now into march ,

Not that it makes a difference , with the classic deflection and whataboutry for one particular poster .not the first time either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

October 2015 is 6.5 yrs old. No where near 8.

No it doesn't make a difference but weakens your argument when silly mistakes are made.

Take 2022 and subtract 2015

And the answer 7

Any way this has absolutely nothing to do with Russia bombing a maternity hospital in Ukraine ,or Russia bombing a childrens cancer hospital

In relation to the ignore function, I prefer not to use it as to see who is making any idiotic statements, it also means that when they rereg/sock puppet they are easier to spot.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This is the bit that boggles my mind the most about this war - Putin, supposedly a master strategist (how else would he have out-manoeuvred everyone else to become the one to succeed Yeltsin?) who has spent the guts of the last 25 years tightening his grip on Russia, had no idea of how much Ukraine would resist, and how ready his own forces were for an invasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

A singular incident versus years of deliberate targeting. Jog on

That's because he's never actually Been challenged like this ,he flatten Chechnya and put a loyal Muslim in power as his proxy who gotten very rich ,in Syria he got a port all while killing tens of thousands in indiscriminate bombings of cities and towns ,go back to Georgia after the first day of the surprise attack ,the Georgians took out and aircraft and putin backed off ,

But when he took Crimea without a war he must have believed the hype of everyone was going to welcome Russian troops with open arms, instead he's getting a very public bloody nose and there is no way to turn it around ,he's turned Russia into a global pariah protests are going to increase in Russia and he won't be able to arrest the whole population

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

I think we can infer that he is surrounded by cowardly yes men.

• He wanted to believe various fictions (Russia mighty, west cowardly, ukraine weak, over by sunday)
    • no one had the courage to tell him it was folly

His position now

• Russian armed forces humiliated -
    • economically toxic
    • Currency destroyed
    • Credibility worth less then the ruble
    • Long term EU to find new energy sources
    • EU unity
    • NATO unity with possible membership from Finland/Sweden

Its the equivalent of a top half premier league team, some how ending up in League one - in the space of two weeks. It should be impossible.

And that is all it has been - two weeks. SO now to save credibility he is thinking of leveling Kiev with either strategic bombing, artillery, or chemical weapons. seemingly

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The EU announced a commitment to phase out the use of Russian gas, oil and coal by 2027. Smart move, though not sure how they intend making up the shortfall.

Whatever becomes of Ukraine, Putin may have severely crippled Russia's medium to long term soft power because of this invasion. Can't threaten to turn off Europe's heating any time he feels annoyed with the bloc, not if Russia loses major leverage

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

American bombing of civilian facilities isn’t a one off.

It can be very difficult for us in Ireland to view the Americans in a bad light. To believe they could be a bad actor. Almost from birth we are fed on a diet of pro American soft power and it is very effective. We like them. We believe them. We give them the benefit of the doubt. Hell, I like Americans. I find them friendly, generous, a lot like us. Ireland has huge cultural bonds with America. We benefit greatly from our relationship with America with foreign direct investment, jobs etc. However we should not lose sight of the fact that the US state can also act abominably.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Which has zero to do with Russia committing war crimes in Ukraine. No matter how often you repeat it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Sorry, but that's a load of crap. Show me evidence that the US has persistently targeted medical facilities in a deliberate fashion. The incident you referenced occurred during a battle, at the behest of Afghan forces. It was a terrible mistake, that the US investigated and made restitution for. That you want to hold that in comparison to the numerous incidents of Russia's indiscriminate attacks on civilians and medical facilities, from Syria, to Donbass, and now further afield in Ukraine, is pathetic. Your entire line of argument is an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Selective reporting is done by both sides

Western Media currently selectively forgetting the War crimes carried out by Ukranian military against Ukranians in the East, they reported on.

NEWSWEEK 9/10/14

Kolomoysky’s Battalions Shell Civilians In Donbas

The Luhansk and Donetsk regions comprise a larger region known together as Donbas. In May 2014, shortly after the Obama administration’s Maidan-coup, the two regions held a referendum on seceding from Ukraine, in which 96% of Lukansk and 89% of Donetsk voted for the creation of two new independent entities in eastern Ukraine.

Moscow said the vote reflected the "will of the people," but the European Union called the elections "illegal and illegitimate", which quickly turned violent and descended into an all-out conflict between Russian-backed separatist forces and the Ukrainian military and pro-government militias.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Isn’t Newsweek western media? What about Reuters? Quoting western media doesn’t support your agenda.

The War in Donbas has continued to this day killing an estimated 14,000 while tearing eastern Ukraine's Donbas region into shreds.

Human Rights Watch reported on July 24, 2014, that Ukrainian government forces and pro-government militias had indiscriminately used unguided Grad rockets in populated areas, which violated international humanitarian law, the laws of war, and constituted war crimes.

While the Ukrainian government officials denied using Grad rockets in Donetsk, a Human Rights Watch investigation on the ground strongly indicated that Ukrainian government forces were responsible for the attacks and earlier in the month, Al Jazeera journalist had even filmed Ukrainian forces with Grad rocket launchers on the road to Donetsk.

HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH

Ukraine: Unguided Rockets Killing Civilians

Jul 24, 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I was replying to a different poster but thanks for the back seat moding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

What's your point again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

This is made up bull. Irish people in general have largely opposed a lot of US wars. From marches against Iraq war to increased drone strikes from Obama to hiding drone strikes under Trump. Hits on civilian targets get widely reported here when found out.

What is also present is a sense of scale. Certainly the war in Iraq was wrong but there is a big reason that the Iraq forces didn't fight as hard as their Ukraine counterparts. This is down to the regime in Iraq vs the government in the Ukraine and how loved they are by their people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Well, this Guardian article is fairly hard hitting, And for once, the Graun have opened up the comments section.

I have yet to digest it all, but, what do you think?

I do have to love that opener though: Just as a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut, so Liz Truss has put her finger on something true. 😝

It’s not a load of crap. I said US bombing of civilian facilities is NOT a one off.

The US have targeted civilian facilities from Iraq to Serbia to Afghanistan and beyond.

https://theintercept.com/2015/10/07/a-short-history-of-u-s-bombing-of-civilian-facilities/

I was comparing the reaction to the deliberate US bombing of a hospital with the deliberate Russian bombing of a hospital.

One president, a Nobel peace prize winner, the other a war criminal.

You said the request for the air strike came at the behest of Afghan forces.

This is NOT TRUE.

“U.S. and NATO Commander John F. Campbell later confirmed that a U.S. AC-130 gunship made the attack on the hospital and that it was a US decision, contrary to earlier reports that the strike had been requested by local Afghan forces under Talibanfire.”

You say the US investigated without questioning the impartiality of their own investigation. Of course they can investigate themselves, they are trustworthy, they are the good guys. Aren’t they?

Would you accept a Russian investigation into a Russian bombing? Please answer honestly.

I'm genuinely surprised by how many long term posters here appear to have been working from troll farms in Russia all these years.

I know boards.ie is a big site in an Irish context but this level of dedication to building reputable personas online is actually pretty impressive. честная игра, ребята

Remind me who is the only foreign power allowed to move troops through Ireland, even during their multi wars? Almost 3 million US troops have passed through ireland under many different governments, representing all but a handful of political parties.

US wars are simply not a big issue in Ireland. Obama, who was president when the US targeted that hospital was treated like a celebrity when he came to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just me or is this a terrible article from RTE? Not only is there grammar mistakes (Russian forces are bombarded cities) but I fail to understand what is meant by turning point? From the headline I'd have taken it to mean Ukraine are taking control but then it says Russian forces are moving in on Kyiv.

According to our government 30 + countries use shannon for military flights including Russia ......

Again nothing to do with ukraine

RTE don’t even pretend to be a news outlet anymore.

On RTE radio today it was stressed how dangerous it was for Russia to seek volunteers from Syria to come to fight in Ukraine as they were untrained, unvetted and would likely commit war crimes.

All the while having spent the last two weeks celebrating the brave non Ukrainian, untrained, unvetted volunteers heading off to fight in Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Downing a drink everytime the US got brought up on thread would not be smart. You'd rapidly die of alcohol poisoning!

I think we receive the message, Putin deserves his 1 x free devastate Ukraine card + certain allowable numbers of civilian deaths and refugees driven into the EU in his special operation because...USA. Oh no, you would not wish to be called a (gasp) hypocrite by some-thing on boards now.

Advertisement