Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

1850 if he did not get the AA bonus 4.15 base (weight cut off 370 kgs). If he got the AA bonus it would have been 37 or 80 euro extra depending on whether it was 10 or 20c paid

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Ok, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Any movement on prices at the factory thus week....heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

What sort of quotes are bullocks on? €4.55 is the best I heard of locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

465 to be got. Going to throw toys out of pram looking for 470 and I'm going to be more independent, smug and condescending than any percurement manager ever was on a wet week at the end of September with cattle backing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

4.70 got here beginning of week with good bargaining power in Foyle meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It's now at a stage of 2-3 rises a week. Numbers are a lot tighter than people think. €5/kg by easter. The rule book has been thrown out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It's gas, we eat a lot of beef here and burgers/steak/ and mince prices haven't went up so much as a cent in the local Dunnes, they'll make Hay late summer/autumn with a glut of cattle to be killed including alot of dairy and suckler cows getting the ramp aswell, but it will be slim pickings after that for them I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

What do ye reckon the base price will be come the end of next August early September?

I see there is an extra 25000 cattle gone through the system so this far compared to last year,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Are 2 year old cattle hard to get? There was only about 50 bullocks and heifers in Elphin yesterday which would be very strange for this time of year I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Very and the price being paid for what's being showed is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I have a 2 pens of Friesian Bullocks in the shed All Jan to march 20 born. All reasonable good bullocks. First time fattening these types of stock. Got about 2kgs of meal with silage this winter. I uped it to 4kgs two weeks ago and gone up it to 6kgs today. Some not far off from finishing with other needing more time. I have however noticed a big improvement in them in the last 6 weeks. The meal cost is high but I am hoping we will see €5kg base price by Easter. From what I hear finished cattle are scares with that to get tighter in the coming weeks. Anybody of the same opinion or am I way off in my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Far more cattle being killed now than was though would be Last December. Prices rising weekly but they’ll use every trick they have to keep it below €5. Have a lot of cattle to kill in the next few weeks so would probably be happy with €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Took a hit on the hoggets myself more or less the same as yourself. Can't win every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

You can talk a lot of rubbish Jj. By your reasoning Larry etc have been conspiring (in their cartel) to INCREASE the factory price for cattle for the last six months; otherwise how could the prices have gone up??? Which is an absurdity.

Get this, the beef price paid to farmers by the factories is dictated by SUPPLY and DEMAND, just as the price of stores is and the price of calves. It's that simple.

BS processor's were dropping priced continually to producers but holding priced to smaller sized buyers ( Pat MacDonagh of supermacs indicated the same) was there that much of an over supply that they needed to drop prices to that is extent. There was indications that processors were increasing there margins substantially.

Since then not only has the price increased but grading has increased substantially on plainer cattle especially in the big three plants.

We were told there was only a minimal margin that processors and retailers shared. However beef had dropped from a base of 3.9-4.2 to below 3.5/ kg or about 250/ carcase with no drop in supermarket price.

Now we are heading for 5/ kg and guess what there is not a significant difference in supermarket prices either. All that happened was processor's got very greedy.

I actually think when LG gave over control to his son the issue started. From about 2015/16 on there seemed to be more and more attempts to increase the profitability of the processing sector mainly at the expense of producers

This was carried out by using contracts for a small sections feedlots at the the expense of smaller producers. The light that was shone on the industry by the strike was not wanted.

There is still a battle for the NSAI to take over the monitoring of the grading machines. Lately I got a survey for the trading practices within the industry. There seems to be a push for to get farmers to start using the unfair trading authority to look at processors methods of controling supply and implementing price controls.

Slava Ukrainii

Did they remove Larry's young lad as a result of the protests?

Larry was always the chairman. Mark was over Asia sales and now has his own restaurant/hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That post is a lot of BS too, I cant believe anyone would believe such rubbish, It's none of our business what processors sell our beef for, same as when you trade in your car it's none of your business what the dealer sells it on for.

I can't believe you think processors are one bit worried about farmers, They'll carry on their businessno matter what farmers think of them.

Price is based on supply and demand, simple as that

You're well able to call BS but that post takes the biscuit

• Advertisement

Why is it. It's a fairly accurate analysis of what the reality is. Why is it not our business to ask questions about margins elsewhere in the chain. Margins at producer level are tight. We are not trading cars we are dealing in an industry which is worth nearly 25 billion 90% of which is exported. The total value of new cars sold last year was 10% of that and they were all imported. Well over 100k people from farmers, those working in the processing industry, agri feed sector, merchants, agri machinery all depend on this industry. The farmer pays them all in one form or another.

It's just been proved that price paid by consumers is not related to price paid to farmers. That margins within the processing/retailers industry seem to have been inflated fir the last 5+ years. But the gombeen men do not want to admit it.

No business wants competition and regulatory authorities looking overs it shoulders. Just this week the competition authority pulled up fuel suppliers over market signalling. The EU has bought market imbalance legislation I to place. The processing and retail industry do not want it looking into the way they work too closely.

I afraid it is you who is at your usual BS routine.

Slava Ukrainii

You may just start a beef factory to show you how stupid your conspiracy theories are.

Everyone is entitled to the best margin they can make, if you're not happy with that you sell you own meat...... plenty thought they could do it.

Your standard BS reply again ''start a meat factory'' blah blah blah. You cannot even counter my points as they are all correct and proved correct so give up your blah blah blah reply.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Leave down the shovel Wrangler, if you keep digging you’ll never get out of that hole.

Your argument is well lost and the last 6 months or so only look worse and worse for your argument with every passing day.

I don’t doubt that you’re an intelligent man so I suspect you already know this but I suppose you have to try keep face somehow.

it's a bit sad and begrudging for anyone to be criticising the beef processors making a their profit when they haven't the balls to do it themselves, childish even

Making up these stories as well is a joke, you could make up plenty of stories about lazy farmers too that couldn't be bothered getting the fiinger out and doing it for themslves. or even manup and do somethingelse to make real money if they want it. whinge whinge whinge is all some can do.

It's not shite either baas to tell begrudgers to cop on and do it for themselve.

Price of oil has doubled too, are you going to make up conpiracy theories about that too.

It's the market boy, nothing else, supply and demand, whether manipulated or real

So you think that people should advise beef processors how to run a business or wade in with criticism when factories are doing grand without them.

Drystock farming is an absolute joke compared with the margin these beef processors are making, yet the begrudgery continues....... and advice pfft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Lads is it not time to draw a line under the beef protest debacle .We are all sick of that shlte .Its well time to move on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Any quotes for the week ahead. Sorry I will correct it. Any quotes for the start of the week🤣🤣

It's not just beef protests, It's the attitude that any business that is doing better than their own,( and there are many such businesses), have to be belittled even to the extent of bringingthe targets family into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Robson99

Its amazing where the demand has suddenly come from and yet the price stays the same in the supermarkets.

They are crooks who are untouchable following years of buying their way.

Advertisement