Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

No let up apparently...

The days of "Yellow Journalism" may no longer exist, yet "fake news" remains very much a problem – especially on social media, where there continues to be a spread of misinformation and even disinformation. The issue has only worsened in the past two weeks following Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine...

Cyabra, a disinformation monitoring platform, announced that it had tracked more than 115,000 Twitter and Facebook accounts that it alleged were spreading Russian propaganda. According to Cyabra, negative content against Ukraine on Twitter increased by over 11,000 percent on February 14 compared to the days previous, while it also found that much of that content came from inauthentic profiles.

www.forbes.com/sites/petersuciu/2022/03/10/russian-sock-puppets-spreading-misinformation-on-social-media-about-ukraine/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Someone earlier said Russia is not the super power they are made out to be.

Well America were seen not to be in Vietnam and when they attacked Iraq and Afghanistan they were fighting an enemy with primitive weapons. They did not get free advanced weapons off wealthy European or US states to use to fight against America.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@[Deleted User] l - Just to make it abundantly clear, I don't in any way support the war and despite multiple false accusations, I'm not a Russian shill and I believe people should examine multiple sources before making up their mind. But if you wish to just see the pro-Ukrainian side that we are getting over here in the west then by all means ignore the pictures and videos that I have shared or put me on ignore.

You may not be a shill but the first 3 letters are correct. You're a shite stirrer, and have been since the first post you made on this thread.

We don't need to see "both sides", and yes we are pro-Ukrainian.... for the simple reason that they are the ones who have been invaded. They are the ones where a million women, children and elderly men have been displaced and had their lives ruined. And they are the ones whose country is being shelled into oblivion and countless sons and husbands will never see their families again. Now what part of that is difficult for you to understand?

You're another one who's lost his way. Allow me to also help you out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Well considering Russia launched 8 cruise missiles at an Ukrainian airport and none actually struck the runway (the most important target)

We've seen the nose cone footage from cruise missiles and smart bombs from the US war in Iraq etc... pretty much through the window of a target.

It seems the likes of the US and NATO have learned and advanced with any setbacks, Russia seem to be stuck in the soviet era.

I don't think anyone on here or around the world expected Ukraine and Kyiv to be still holding strong 2 week into this war.

Advanced weapons play a part, but the lackluster Russian army and absent airforce play just a significant role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

| didn't think it would lead to death and refugees situations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

No you've made it more than abundantly clear all the same. You say

The one positive thing about the Facebook story is it seems no matter what side you are on...

Ah I see "Sides"! Please let me quote another poster here who has perhaps expressed it more succinctly and politely than I ever could

We don't need to see "both sides", and yes we are pro-Ukrainian.... for the simple reason that they are the ones who have been invaded. They are the ones where a million women, children and elderly men have been displaced and had their lives ruined. And they are the ones whose country is being shelled into oblivion and countless sons and husbands will never see their families again. Now what part of that is difficult for you to understand?

To add: The Ukrainian armed forces are defending their country from an illegal invasion of their country by the Russian Army and you somehow reckon it's surprising that they have to defend and fight for their cities and towns or god forbid occasionally use hit and run attacks against a vastly more numerous enemy who have made an unprovoked attack on Ukraine and the Ukranian people? As you said you've made yourself abundantly clear already.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

He's a Russian stooge, check the early posts from the early AM, Mar 11.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ronald McDonald is a very well respected children's charity, actually. They have facilities in Ukraine.

I wonder will Ukraine do a deal with Poland, allowing Poland to formally annex its Western provinces. These lands were Polish for centuries and i would assume there is significant amount of ethnic poles still left despite the ethnic cleansing of the 20th century. Lviv the cultural capital of Ukraine is a Polish city. It would at least give Russia some pause in capturing the whole country.

I fear no matter the how brave the Ukranians are, this war is a numbers game and Russia will eventually conquer them. That said Russian birthrates are well below replacement rates and a victory over Ukraine with heavy Russian casualties will be a pyhric victory, hastening the demographic demise of a transcontinental Russia. In 50 years i see a russian rump state centred on Moscow with the majority of its asiatic land ssallowed up by the likes of China and japan, who are hungry for resources and living space( i know). I suspect a bankrupy rapidly ageing Russian state will sell the land a la Alaska

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did all three of the Lads sign off and sign on at the same time.

That's odd.

• Advertisement

Is just like politics.ie back in the day. The posters supportive of the Islamic Brotherhood and hard left parties worked shifts using the same username

It’s not Ronald McDonald helping the kids- it’s the doctors and nurses that do that work- you’ve just proved my point

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

No. He didn't prove your point at all. Don't be ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭html6

Kiev, Sumy, Konotop, Kharkiv, Mariupol(incredibly), Chernikiv, Mykolaiv all still in Ukrainian control and the many of these areas are ethnic Russians.

Russians are good at cowardly shelling civilian areas, maternity hospitals and shoe factories. Kidnapping the mayor in Melitopol(it took an armed unit to carry this out).

Judging by reports the Ukrainians have defeated the Russians in Mariupol and the Russians are awaiting more cannon fodder.

Russians unable to take any cities. Forces are paper thin. Supply lines stretched. Is this as far as they go?

Guerilla tactics by Ukrainians are effective and increasing daily.

Russian convoy repelled advancing to Brovary a couple of days ago. Russian general killed. Russian tank convoy fleeing with tail between their legs.

Russians unable to take any area of note.

How many energy bars to sustain a Ukrainian fighter for 1 year?

Protest in Melitopol to effect the release of kidnapped mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

That's the weirdest response I've every heard.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Are Russia pulling back forces as they cannot afford to lose many more? They need reinforcements from the central and eastern parts(hopefully this will allow the Japanese to retake the Kuril Islands). Syrians will just be cannon fodder.

Seems 130,000 conscripts in Russia will be called up on April 1st. Ah well at least Tatu made lesbianism more acceptable. Don't know what all the childless Babushkas are going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's simple in my mind: politicians are sold to the highest bidder, and US Energy companies have the most money. Buy the politicians, buy the country.

Likewise with the rise of ultra-rich tech companies, lots of politicians are owned by them as well.

Their crowning achievement was the Citizens United decision, which until undone will affect American society forever.

It's been very refreshing to live in an EU country like Ireland after growing up in the US and seeing what it's like to deal with a society and infrastructure that are not wholly corporate owned. Just got back from a trip to London, no problems or surprise charges on my Vodafone phone. A trip to the US a few years pre-Covid, I couldn't use one phone throughout the freaking Seattle area because it was always 'roaming.' And, here I have a phone, 20 euros/month and I get more than enough data and texts and calls. In the US I doubt there are any plans like that, at all.

I could go on and on; certainly since GWB the US has been wholly corporate owned and it impacts daily lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The doctors and nurses who do the work are funded by....

I dont think anyone said the mascot Ronald Mc Donald is staffing the 300+ Ronald Mc Donald houses worldwide...for one thing I am not sure his red wig would be hygienic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There’s a couple of unthinkable reason why they might pull back forces, I really hope it’s just to regroup.

This is just another example of RUSSIANS COWARDLY SHELLING CIVILIAN TARGETS. Am I right in saying this is actually a famous hotel in Chernihiv DESTROYED BY COWARDLY RUSSIAN SHELLING.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

That's actually how they work at the troll farm in St. Petersburg. They work in pods of three in the same discussions.

https://www.rferl.org/a/how-to-guide-russian-trolling-trolls/26919999.html

Burkhard: Our department commented on posts. Every city and village in Russia has its own municipal website with its own comments forum. People would write something on the forum -- some kind of news -- and our task was to comment on it. We did it by dividing into teams of three. One of us would be the "villain," the person who disagrees with the forum and criticizes the authorities, in order to bring a feeling of authenticity to what we're doing. The other two enter into a debate with him -- "No, you're not right; everything here is totally correct." One of them should provide some kind of graphic or image that fits in the context, and the other has to post a link to some content that supports his argument. You see? Villain, picture, link.

RFE/RL: So all three of you sit together, agreeing on who's going to do what in this performance?

Burkhard: Yeah, that's the kind of absurdity that goes on. We don't talk too much, because everyone is busy. A single comment isn't supposed to be less than 200 characters. You have to just sit there and type and type, endlessly. We don't talk, because we can see for ourselves what the others are writing, but in fact you don't even have to really read it, because it's all nonsense. The news gets written, someone else comments on it, but I think real people don't bother reading any of it at all.

So in this way, our little threesome traverses the country, stopping at every forum, starting with Kaliningrad and ending in Vladivostok. We create the illusion of actual activity on these forums. We write something, we answer each other. There are keywords, tags, that are needed for search engines. We're given five keywords -- for example, "Shoigu," "defense minister," "Russian army." All three of us have to make sure these keywords appear all over the place in our comments. They can't even be conjugated or declined. Sometimes it's very hard to write when you can't use any declensions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

What stands out from all this, everyone in Putin's circle seems to be absolutely loaded beyond belief along with their mistresses and daughters and anyone else connected.

If Lavrov, can give money to his wife who has the money to purchase her daughter a 4 million pound flat in Kensington his real wealth must be insane.

Surely the Russian people must wake up to this. It's their wealth.

Army generals and politicians worth tens of , even hundreds of millions. It's rotten.

False information should always be banned, it's why swathes of Russians believe Putin is right to have engaged in his 'special operations'.

Do you think Goebbels should have been allowed to preach his hateful lies?

And, as I have you, you never replied to say sonething disparaging about Putin.

This may be easier for you to say (less consequences) - Do you agree with Putins Action in Ukraine since they sent troops into Ukraine?

Sort of like the proposal Putin put to Tusk years ago, Don't see it happening for a number of reasons.

labaik I had assumed the poster was being sarcastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yep. Literacy has never been a strongpoint of the dunce trolls.

The amount of times the link actually disagrees with the diarrhea they dribble is hilarious. Generally they just about manage to read (and understand maybe half) the headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Bien seems foolish to me .He keeps broadcasting weakness by saying we must avoid WW3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

It's estimated by serious observers that the regime has stolen almost a trillion dollars worth over the last two decades. Putin himself is estimated to be worth about 200 billion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement