Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FROM Covid or WITH Covid Sean.. there's a very big and important difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

A lot of agenda driven misinformation from some dangerous individuals on this thread. The virus is still out there. It is still making people ill, and that fact plus the behaviour of some people on this thread, means that i'll be wearing my mask for quite a good while yet! By dropping social distancing and the requirement to wear masks, NPHET and the government are quite clearly opting for a herd immunity strategy. They just don't want to admit it.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

No one has denied that the virus is still out there. It probably always will be in some form or other.

No one has denied that it makes some people sick either, however in the vast majority of cases that illness will be mild to moderate and only last a few days. There will be some who are greater affected and a small number who may require hospital treatment (the case numbers in that setting cannot be taken at face value as they include significant numbers who were admitted for something entirely different but incidentally are covid positive, and people who caught covid while in hospital).

No one has denied that some people will unfortunately still die - again, with covid or because of covid is an important distinction - but this is the case with every disease. However we now know who is most vulnerable to this extreme risk and have 2 years of data and treatment to call on to help but covid restrictions are not a path to immortality either. Thankfully, this outcome is far from certain even among the most vulnerable.

No one has said that you cannot wear your mask as long as you want to or distance, however even the ultra conservative and slow to relax NPHET have agreed that the threat is no longer serious enough to retain the mandatory requirements, but rather leave the decision to individuals based on their own risk assessment and medical circumstances. This is entirely correct incidentally and indeed long overdue.

However, the problem I have (others here can speak for themselves) is the "agenda driven misinformation" still coming from some quarters that suggests there's still a "lethal virus" circulating that poses a significant threat to the majority which was thankfully NEVER the case, and certainly not since Omicron became the dominant variant.

I also have a problem with the effect this can have on vulnerable people - not necessarily medically vulnerable, but those generally anxious or hesitant - as the effects of these scare-mongering articles and the narrative therein has had a very real impact on the mental health of such people and society as a whole. The fact that we are still having this debate despite all the above is evidence of that.

I really have a problem with the notion that not only should everyone retain mask wearing (under threat of jail time or brain damage!!), but that not doing so will lead us back to restrictions. Such arguments do not tally with where we are now, the huge numbers of vaccinated people, nor the universally acknowledged milder strain of covid (omicron) that is dominant.

So who are the ones with the dangerous agendas? Those encouraging people to look at the reality of the situation, balance it against their own circumstances and decide for themselves what the right course of action is.... or those still acting as though it's March 2020 and calling for the reinstatement of authoritarian restrictions and regulations despite the huge damage they caused to mental health, the treatment of other health issues, jobs and business and the economy and wider society as a whole, and for no other apparent reason than their own fears and anxieties?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Incorrect, he's been calling for a cluster randomised trial, which this "study" clearly isn't.

You should be embarrassed at the guff you post on here, especially in relation to masking kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ben Gilroy just put this up on his Facebook . Don't think he fully understand the statement.

FACT — Face masks do not protect you from receiving a virus. People who are sick are advised to wear a mask to reduce risk of transmitting a virus from their mouth. People are more likely to receive an airborne virus through their eyeballs and skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Great Post. But in terms of a certain poster my advice is to ignore them. Nothing you say will change their somewhat warped frame of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I have managed to catch covid - not recommended.

Hopefully the exceedingly minor inconvenience of having worn a mask means I won't have passed it on to the guy I was playing chess with a couple of days before symptoms kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Or if you did pass it on to your friend, hopefully you lessened the viral load that they got so they don't get it as bad.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Ah, Away With The Faries. Always looking on the negative side of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

It was exactly this study that Prasad called for. A mask required versus mask optional policy.

But like him your throwing yoru toys out of the pram.

Maybe you should write a follow up paper to his "The Cult of Masked Schoolchildren - History will not look kindly on our evidence-free decision to make kids suffer most."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

To say he's less than impressed with the "study" would be an understatement:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

So who are the ones with the dangerous agendas? Those encouraging people to look at the reality of the situation, balance it against their own circumstances and decide for themselves what the right course of action is.... or those still acting as though it's March 2020 and calling for the reinstatement of authoritarian restrictions and regulations despite the huge damage they caused to mental health, the treatment of other health issues, jobs and business and the economy and wider society as a whole, and for no other apparent reason than their own fears and anxieties?

Why? Do you think he might be referring to you? His post was focused on "agenda driven misinformation".

Not sure why you would go and divide that up into "those encouraging people to look at the reality of the situation" V "those still acting as though it's March 2020". But I will entertain you.

Let's put this "encouraging people to look at the reality of the situation" to the test.

In post #6695 you encouraged @apache to feel better by looking at a graphic you shared. You also included a tagline under this graphic "You've more chance of dying from the flu than Covid at this point. It's done now."

In the very next post #6696 I encouraged you to look at the "reality of the situation"(your post) by showing you that the graphic had been thouroughly debunked.

You did not accept that reality, you dismissed it and went off on in another direction.

So the real "reality of the situation" is that @apache was directly given misinformation by you, you were informed of this and took no action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Omicron covid is still serious enough to put people in hospital though. I feel with social distancing abolished, that mask wearing is even more necessary. As i say herd immunity is obviously the strategy here, and i think that's a dangerous game NPHET and the government are playing. I'm not saying we go back to 2020 now. I'm saying though that encouraging others to stop wearing face masks, is very sinister and dangerous behaviour imo. Saying covid is no worse than the flu, is also sinister and dangerous behaviour. People on this very thread boasting about deliberately trying to infect people with covid, is sinister and dangerous behaviour as well.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Yep the media and government never give misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Yes, but only so I could get the covid pass for travel. They could have injected me with holy water for all I cared, anything to get away from here without the risk of being trapped abroad by a positive covid test.

I'll dodge getting the booster if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Good old newstalk.. reading out texts from people who decry those who don't wear masks in a shop as "hypersocial"..

New one on me that.

Come back to me on why you think there's (still) a "lethal" virus circulating and what you're so concerned about that you would call for the return of restrictions and mandatory mask requirements despite the overwhelming majority being double or triple vaccinated, a significantly milder variant being dominant, and even our conservative "expert" body (NPHET) having agreed there is no longer a basis for the restrictions

Then we can talk.

Apache's hesitation and uncertainty is certainly understandable after 2 years of restrictions and constant coverage and scaremongering, but it's thankfully no longer something to be overly concerned about - unless actually medically vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wear the mask nobody is stopping you but you don't get to tell other people what they should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Well that's not what op was doing in his post.. Some of you guys are really missing ability to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

In Moscow, from March 15, fines will be issued for wearing masks in public places. According to the decree of Mayor Sergei Sobyanin, the mask regime is canceled, as well as a number of anti-Covid measures for business.

In Moscow, from tomorrow will be fined for wearing masks (panorama.pub)

COVID: Moscow mayor ends mask requirement | CTV News

I must start using boards.ru so...

At least then you can't be accused of trolling when you complain about mask wearing & covid (did I say that right, you know, the non-trolling, politically correct way?)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I have left this bit purposely out from that article, I am sure the true meaning got lost in translation... maybe 🤐

After the mayor's decision to abolish the mask regime, doctors found that masks not only do not help protect against Covid, but also pose a danger to health, as well as to public safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, because information coming from Russia is 100% correct these days... You know it's bad when people are using articles from a country that's currently invading another country...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Translation we want to be able to see the faces of those protesting our illegal war so we can arrest them. Thats the kinda thing that endangers public safety in Putinland.

So much for the masks foreva nonsense and that masks were a plot to strip us of our freedoms when a gangster dictatorship sees them as a threat!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It would be great to see you heading that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

If you wanna wear a mask FIRE AWAY. The last few months have shown that this variant is nothing more than a snotty nose to 99% of the population. I remember well 10/12 months ago putting people of all ages into bodybags and bringing them to the mortuary, it was scary, having said that, they were all either 6 stone or 30 stone...there wasn't many in-between, we're talking extremely unhealthy people, but it was still nerve wracking, the thoughts of passing that on to another unhealthy individual.

Unless there's a serious mutation, don't waffle on to me about masks. Nobody's stopping you from wearing a space suit if you want.

Oh, working in a literal covid ward since March 2020, never caught, not boosted, so couldn't give LESS OF A SH1T.

• Advertisement

Aww, you say the nicest things, thanks babe. XXX

Advertisement