Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 2) Carton House Montgomerie Golf Course (12th March 1130 hrs.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Snackbox20

Really looking forward to playing this course today. Mental week in work, had a few pints last night and now the getting ready begins before hitting the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

Special thanks to @benny79 for organising the perfect weather window yet again….:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads ...I don't know about Saturday....

But Maynooth took me 15mins to pass the other day...

Is a spot in last group if you've an issue...but appreciate if everyone gets there with 30 mins to go.

Decent walk to 1st tee and estate is massive...

Think last groups will catch a bit of rain...but overall a great turnaround again...

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Nice and sunny in the southeast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

Enjoy the day lads. Weather looks class for ye!

Absolutely, glorious weather here in the sunny south east, I'll try and bring this with me on the way up

@bakerbhoy view from the hotel window in Waterford 👍👍👍😎😎

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Always enjoy waking up on a boards golf morning. Unlike a regular Saturday when I tip out to my own course, always rushing late to the first tee, I tend to make a proper day of it with the birds crew. Even better when I’ve only 20 minutes to travel😎 it’s even nearer than my own club.

i predict big scores today, weather is lovely. Enjoy the day folks, safe travels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

An FYI, the academy is blocked out fir the day, so you won't be able to hit any balls in you're planning on early warm up

Lads in courtyard

No-one at the tee

Enjoying the round....but bad rain now on 15

I enjoyed the day - the weather made life difficult for the back of the field - but still great scoring out there. I know it is a sort of Love hate course - But I just love the green complexes out there. It seriously rewards 2nd shots.

Thanks to Seve - for having everything ready for me as I arrived in . Had an enjoyable day with the cork Lads Boccy23 and Kevin - some good golf by all at times - but the rains came in and killed what could have been great scores.

So

1st Break 80 - 39 pts

2nd Bakerbhoy - 38 pts (Back 9)

3rd Postpunk - 38 pts

4th Boccy23 - 37 pts

Gross FixdePitchMark 35 pts (6)

NTP ---- Bobster453

Long Drive Golfgraffix

2s

AlanM

Golfhead

Thanks to our sponsor ClubNet who made an INCREDIBLE contribution to our society and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭tigerwood1

Just back home waiting on the indian gives me a chance to put up a quick post. I Hav'nt played with Bobster in years but as usual he provided the banter all the way around. I reckon he was shoe in for the most bunkers visited prize but now after winning the nearest the pin with his sweet 7iron to 3ft on the 17th he won't qualify😉.

It was great to play with some new members Richie and swedish monkey. Both good golfers with richie finishing with a nice birdie in tough conditions on the last. Swedish monkey hit some lovely drives but just couldnt get it flowing on the day.

I probably played the best golf since St andrews today with 34pts even after scratching the last felt like 44pts so i have no complaints.

Thanks to lads for great company and congrats to break 80🎂(great way to celebrate for 60th with super 39pts🤣).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Well done to the organising group. Had a great day out with roadrunner, luckycharm and Alanm.

Great company, decent weather for the most part, matched by some of my golf after going for a swim with my first swing, and just got to the car in time to listen to Michael narrate the game until i got home.

Well done to those in the winners circle some great scores out there, forward tee's were a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭swededmonkey

I was texting the Mrs walking down the 10th saying if I was playing with some dry shites I'd have chucked it in 4 holes previous. My golf was terrible but thoroughly enjoyed the round with the lads.

I won't make Nenagh but it's a very underrated course. Raging I'm missing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Just about got the blood back flowing in the hands enough to post a report. Very much enjoyed the round of golf today. Played with golfgraffix, jarietta & bigchap1759. The gentlemen. GG was superb off the tee but the bunkers killed any chance of him getting a score going. Bigchap1759 played the best golf of the fourball I thought picking a few holes apart very nicely. Jarietta can seriously swing a golf club, some lovely shots off the tee and hybrids off the turf were let down a little by the odd three putt.

As for myself, again didn't get it going. Very solid bogey golf most of the time. Finally got some rythym around hole 13 and 14 but then came the heavy rain which killed it for me.

Biggest compliments again to the lads organising these outings. Another fantastic effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Also... The course is such a good design. Every green is pointing at a bunker or cluster of bunkers 100-150 yards out. Rewards good, brave play. Punishes bad, brave play. No real fear of losing your ball but if you are on wrong side of fairway you are losing half a shot. I'd say some of the bunkers are a full shot punishment

Home now a while, clubs and gear drying out for tomorrow. Had a great day on another first time course for me. Great company and chat with Robbok Mark {Young Prospect] and past captain Ballyk who filled me in on the drive to make the jug team and forecaddie for the bunkers.They took their toll. Managed to avoid the bunkers until 16 and 17 green side but got away with two putt bogey each time. Lost ball on 15 only bad hole in the cold rain, Second rain glove the culprit for two bad swings. Again as has been mentioned before ,big shout out to Seve , Fixdepitchmark and the committee for organising things. Nenagh awaits , see ye there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Had a really great day out yesterday, fantastic course along with some great company and a lot of good golf played. Was nice to meet more new people, and again the organisation and preparation from the committee/organisers was excellent.

Teed off bang on time, and promptly hooked my drive 40 yards low and right into the water. Reloaded and made amends but wasn't enough to stop me having a 7 and a scratch to start. Improved from there, that was my only poor hit with my driver all day, it really was the highlight of my game in both portmarnock and yesterday. Iron striking was decent, but was let down a little by duffing wedges on 3 or 4 different occasions. Putting was better yesterday, and didn't cost too many shots.

19 on the front 9 had me set up well going into the back 9. Very good driving had me within a wedge of most of the par 4s but this is where my wedges let me down. A few too many cases of finishing with a bogey having been within 100m of the green, very frustrating but solid scoring.

Into the wind on the way down the back 9 made the course play long, and the advantage on the way back was negated by the driving rain. Finished the back 9 on 14 points for a 33 (if I remember rightly!) and was relatively happy with that. I can't give out too much about loose play when I'm only out once a month for the boards outings.

I managed to avoid bunkers until a fairway bunker which took two attempts to get out of, and again on the second last par 3. I tried to chip over the bunker and chipped into it close to the face , which meant coming out sideways.

There was some very good play from my playing partners also, spudsy kev and didn't catch the username of our last player, not sure bout using real names. Everyone drove the ball very well for most of the day. Company was an absolute pleasure and a great day had by all. The rain dampened things but we were blessed to stay dry up to the 14th, so can't complain too much.

Thanks again to fix, seve and the rest of the people working in the background to make sure that we all had a great day.

Robbok asked me to share this.

The Golfers dilemma

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭spuddy4711

A round of two halves, before and after “The Fall”. Started well, a pleasure to play with VW1, KEV-s88 and Concerned2, but avoided two few bunkers and managed just 10 points on the front. After slipping and landing on my back beside one of those bunkers, things could only get better, I parred the last and had 17 points on the back. Tried to hand in my card at the main, very smart, restaurant, Maitre D was diplomatic, it wasn’t my muddy clothes, it’s that my name wasn’t on the list. Thanks Fix, Seve and all involved in making this a most enjoyable day. Concerned2 spoke well of Nenagh, thought it would suit players like me, so looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Well another brilliant course behind us in this great society, I dont think there is another society in the country that has the list of courses that we play and thats down to our hard working committee that runs the whole show and a big thanks to them all. Anyway back to the game and one of the aforementioned committee men Seve was one of my partners yesterday and having known him and shared a few pints with him on a captains w/e in Kerry a few years back it was the first time id played golf with him and this is where the WHS system is a mockery as Seveob got 18 shots yesterday which is outrageous for the big hitting Greystones/Castleknock man..(lets get the elephant in the room out ) only for the near 5 hour round and this was not our societies fault which meant we caught the wind and rain and dropping temperatures im sure he would have left the field in his wake as he couldnt feel his hands with the cold and didnt score on a few of the last holes.. scoring 35 was respectable as was a 36 from Pakman who I played with yesterday for the first time since we were both newbies a few years back in Portmarnock and boy has his golf game improved so much since then and im sure he will see a win in the not so distant future.Another first time playing partner Ssob from the other capital city or so they like to think was a solid player and his 35 points was a magnificent score and only for a slightly skyed tee shot on the longest drive hole and having watched his driving on previous holes I think if there was a Paddy Powers on the tee box id have backed him, Finally my own game which at the monent is slightly better than being in the gutter, 29 pts probably didnt reflect the way i felt my game was as I got a decent start but my oul nemesis The driver let me down badly and put me behind the 8 ball (bunkers ) too many times and as luck would have it when I absolutely smoked one on 15 we couldnt find my ball but hey thats golf and Carton (monty) is some course but I got a 2 so all was not lost, onwards to Nenagh

Post edited by Golfhead65 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Really enjoyed my round, which is odd as I normally don’t when I score poorly, have a tendency to get a bit “thick”.

Im trying to play with people I haven’t payed with before and it was a pleasure to play with my old buddy Bigchap, Willabur and jarrieta. We all played some good abs some bad golf, Bigchap being the most consistent of us all.

I drove the ball really well and was delighted to pick of the Long Drive win, I’m sure there were guys linger than it but with the camber on that fairway it can be hard to hold. 5 iron into the green side bunker nullified the good drive though.

The course is really growing on me, it’s very clever off the tee. It’s wide open and quite easy but the alignment of the fairways with the tee boxes makes you question the line, added to that the positioning of the bunkers in relation to the shot line is not traditional. The up shot is you can get wayward very easily.

Great turn out again.

My one normal gripe is pace of play, for what was an easy course in relation to loosing balls we as a group (all of us) were very slow. Something to keep in mind for the next outings !!

J

So - a big long day.

Carton House is growing on me as a place, I do know (and knew before) the Monty is not for everyone, I love hearing the variety of views on it. But, I guess, I was looking out for venues a little left of field and engaging. As I've said to people, I don't do wet shoes and mud balls - I hate placing , so being March, I was looking for something that may hold up. But, the weather we have had the last while, nothing could hold up. There probably is a case to start on a Links in March - or have two Links courses if Feb and March - but that is for someone above my pay grade.

Our group - boccy23 and Rally23 were a 3 ball at the back of the field, so we were facing a slow day in the worst of the conditions. I know I go on about it too much , but pace of play is a big focus for the year. But, the weather, the course design and a full course was always going to be an issue. Some of the walks from green to tees are simply too long, you genuinely could fit a par 3 at least, in the gaps from green to tee.

Yr weather was watched all week - and as the day approached it was saying the rain is coming in at 1600 hrs - with 5mins to go, the rain started and it was not pleasant for the first 3 or 4 holes. We were cold , wet , and only turning for home with a full course in front of us.

On the golf - there was good golf from the two Cork boys - both having their own Cork twist on the game. A hurling grip and a remarkable high ball, both lads had very strong aspects of their games. I can see boccy picking up a win this year, very relaxed controlled swing, making great contact with ball. Rally has a great short game , but will have to pull back that ball flight.

My own game has been poor for a few years , but have put a good bit of work in lately, I feel I've turned a corner. I'm still not happy , but - felt I could easily score over 36pts yesterday (something I didn't do) , just one bad 9 Iron on 16 , cost me.

The course , I just love great green complexes. I remember reading on here, that if you give golfers great greens it can make a course for them. You aim at a green, you finish on a green. But , I get that, that is not enough. The course is a bit open and whilst there is constant variety in shape. There is little dramatic change on any hole.

So you will be glad to hear that - we will not have as big a course again this year. I'm still delighted we went there. It was a great sense of occasion being at such a top level resort. The match after - the living it up for a day.

Cork is a place very close to my heart , some of my best friends are from there. The people have a great sense of adventure, enthusiasm , competitiveness. They call out bullshit and fake loftiness. When I got into the clubhouse , I could see a glow off Break 80. He told me how he had a great round including a run of 3,5,4,5,3,3 - that is serious golf in them tough conditions. He was quick to take the 5er off me - but the same guy, gave me a prize for the society and a 4 ball at my spiritual home, Enniscrone. Very generous.

As Ireland won the rugby - we wrapped up. I could have stayed there all night.

Another day for the society, that makes no sense. Travelling Ireland to walk a field in the rain with strangers. It was a tough day - But I think golf needs to test you, it can't be short sleeved and smiles all year round. If golf is a part of your life, like it is for us. It has to have every part of life in it. The ups , the downs, the great , the bad, the fast, the slow ----life.

Thanks to all, who made it a great day.

Finally getting to put my musings together following a brilliant weekend. Glutton for more punishment as just in off the course at the home club and playing the Sunday singles. (Very happy with how I played today, must have been the practice from yesterday 🤣)

Yesterday started walking very early in a hotel in Waterford and a quick glance out the window at 7:00am it was sunny and I said the golfing god's rewarded us and we are going to be in for a great day in Carton House. So being in the sunny south east I was hoping that the sunshine would accompany me all along the way. Drive up was perfect and then Delores my Google navigator told me to take the road to Kill/ Straffan. Outside Barberstown there was fierce traffic congestion, but there was some charity event and I was let through the traffic by former Ireland international Niall Quinn 😁. Unfortunately he didn't help as my lucky charm for my golf on Saturday.

Got parked up at the academy which looked very impressive and I could see a few boards members, some I remembered and there was some new faces, had a quick catch up with CharlieIRL and Kieran who was one of my playing partners that day It was gas that the driving range ran out of balls and was completely booked out.

So onwards to the main carpark and use the practice area. What a setup Carton House, I didn't know what to expect but it was wow. When I went to check in it was great to see more familiar faces and I must apologise to the captain I said hello Fixed 🤦🤦, I knew I got it wrong. Apologies again.

Onto the golf, I had the pleasure of playing again with Rainbow warrior and Benny79, and it was my first time playing with Kieran. There was some great shots played by the guys. Great chat and golf from all the guys. Big thanks also to Benny79 for the little motivation after the 7th or the 8th and change the way I was recording the score and app, it was a huge help on my back 9. My first shot on the 1st drive, whooosh splash!!!! Only scoring 9 on the front but starting putting a few pars together on the back 9 gave me 18 and delighted to finish with 27 for such a unique course. I probably could claim the most visits to the bunkers as Peter Cook once said, you know you're in it, when you are in it. Lucky some of the craters didn't have a stira lift out of them. Monty must have been inspired by the moon.

Huge congrats to Captain Fixdepitchmark and the committee for running such a brilliant outing. March is the month of many weathers and our sun god couldn't shoo away the clouds and the rains came on the 11th. Thanks a million again to RainbowWarrior, Benny79, and Kieran for the company and the golf. Still making adjustments to my game and hopefully can build in that going to Nenagh, looking forward to it and seeing you all again.

• Advertisement

Just realised that it should have been waking and not walking 🤦🤦

Advertisement