Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service Mileage Rate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Do you really think the private sector get automatic inflationary pay increases like the protected sector? You're even more institutionalised than I thought possible.

Rhetorical question re "evidence". As you know, it's impossible for anyone outside the protected sector to prove the mass abuse of their publicly funded expenses. It won't be tackled fro m within either lest the union fury be unleashed on any hapless manager that makes an accusation of financial abuse.

"The banks" were only indebted because their debtors were't paying back the loans they voluntarily took out to buy their homes, holiday homes, foreign investment property, new cars et al.

It might've slipped your mind that the debacle of benchmarking happened during the credit bubble-permanent increases for already overpaid jobs in the protected sector, many which had no private sector equivalent to "benchmark" against, with no provision for retraction if exchequer returns reduced; permanent increases based upon temporary revenue. i don't recall any public servants offering to surrender their "benchmarked" increase. Cosmetic measures such as the PRD and pay reductions were minor and temporary and have now been reverted with back pay. All funded by revenue generated by the private sector and state borrowings adding to the national debt.

These contracts are publicly funded and need to be overhauled. The government could legislate to change them and could well do this as was done before in 2009 but this time make the changes radical and permanent.

But public servants getting even more tax free mileage expenses is where the mood music is at right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Prices have been rising in this country hence inflation running so high. Private businesses aren't afraid to put their prices up.

I fully support the PS getting a pay rise, most of them work hard. The current pay deal is coming to an end and thankfully the people who will be deciding on these matters don't have a gripe against them. They are grateful for the work they do.

What are these automatic inflationary pay increases you speak off? Already overpaid jobs before benchmarking?

You aren't half talking an awful load of shyte.

We didn't have to "offer to surrender" the meagre increases granted under benchmarking - they were stripped away by a round of "emergency financial measures" (when according to you those increases were permanent and retraction couldn't happen) and then took over 10 years to restore and were certainly not back paid.

(If they were, someone forgot to send me that cheque).

Honestly, with these comments, I doubt you would have passed the competency tests for the civil service.

Maybe thats why you're so bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So many factual errors here, it's really getting tiresome to be correcting you. Do you not get tired of embarrassing yourself in a public forum?

1) I got pay increases every year during my private sector years, including the bad times of the 80s. Pay increases are normal in many jobs, public and private. Incremental pay scales are normal in many jobs, public and private.

2) It's not hard to get evidence at all of public sector activity. I recall full detail of FAS staff expenses being released under FOI at one stage. I picked through it to see what trips a relative had been doing. It is remarkably easy to get evidence, if you bother your ass to look.

3) If you're no evidence, how can you stand up here in a public forum and claim something to be a fact. If you're no evidence, it isn't happening. It is just your bitter and twisted imagination.

4) If you think that 'union fury' creates a veto on matters being investigated, you're living in dream world. There are many, many matters investigated by HR teams, regardless of whether unions are furious or not. You'll also find that unions won't stand behind any abuse of public money.

5) The banks were indebted because those in 'the real economy' to use your own phrase gave loans to people who hadn't a snowball's chance in hell of paying it back, to get their short term bonuses and stock options. We're all still picking up the bill for 'the real economy'.

6) PRD has NOT now been reverted. If it has, someone owes me a sh1t load of money that's been coming off my payslip every fortnight for the last decade. It has merged into the ASC deduction, a 'permanent and radical change' that you don't seem to have noticed. For the reductions that were reversed, there was never any back pay as part of the reversions.

7) Governments are not 'funded by the private sector'. Everyone pays tax, PAYE, VAT, Customs and more. Many people have both public and private sector income. You don't have any monopoly on Government funding or any special claim on how it is spent.

8) All mileage expenses are tax-free up to the Revenue limits, for public and private sector. Why would you end up being paid tax on reimbursements for out of pocket expenses?

You really should do some little bit of research before you post.

Said no-one in the real economy ever.

You evidently have a vested interest.

• Advertisement

Public servants get automatic incremental pay increases based upon time served regardless of performance or lack thereof.

Benchmarking increases were exorbitant (to the private sector funders) and far from meagre.

All of the "stripping away" (aka a little respite for the taxpayer and national debt) was a tiny fraction of the benchmarking largesse and were only temporary. The gravy train has been full steam ahead for about three years now.

And nobody lost their jobs regardless of whether there was a job for them to do.

"Competency" in the public sector means duping the hapless taxpayer into thinking they're hard done by and having an unending capacity for propaganda so you're right, I would fail the tests miserably.

A friend joined the public service relatively late in their working life having always worked in the private sector; they were initially outraged by the waste, inefficiency and incompetency of the public service and worked diligently in their role, compensating for their long-service coworkers. Now, after several years, they're as institutionalised as the others and have lost their work ethic completely.

Bitter=Realistic (unless you're a public servant)

Do you not get tired of making absurd claims which would make North Korea seem open and honest in comparison?

1) Pay rises in the private sector are no problem-that's the free market economy, not funded by the taxpayer, flexible workforce, accountability, dismissability. All of these are a laughably alien concept to the public sector.

2) You're right-I can't bother my "ass" to look as there's no point. No accountability and unsackable remember? FAS was the tip of the iceberg and those people got public sector "justice"- tax-free severance packages/superannuation/promoted/moved sideways.

3)Ok

4) Haha Ok

5)"The banks" cost a one-off €60Bn. That's less than 2.5 years of the public service pay bill at today's cost, which will rise exponentially.

6)PRD meant that public servants paid a small additional contribution to their DB scheme but still with the majority paid out of day to day taxation instead of funding essential services such as medical procedures. (pre-2013 entrants are also on a final salary scheme meaning they get a "promotion" in the last couple of years before "retirement" and their entire package will be calculated on that)

7)Public servants paying Income tax, PRSI, VAT et al is just a small rebate to the taxpayer who funds their salary in the first place. The private sector don't get a salary from the state, funnily enough.

8) Out of pocket expenses LOL-if only that was the case. T&S payments would still be profitable to the recipient, even if they were subject to income tax, PRSI and USC.

You really should stop trying to defend the indefensible and enjoy the lavishness of the public service while it lasts before market forces and public opinion precipitates radical reform.

Yawn.............. another private sector hard working oppressed pay for everything vs the wasteful public sector.

Another Boards.ie school debating thread with an I'm smarter then you theme etc.

Not to mention the old ......my neighbour knows a public servant hasn't worked since 1979 etc..... 17 hour tea breaks etc.

Never gets old you cant manage a country without a public service. Plus it's open to everyone to get hired if they apply.

Though the lack of respect in society plus the loss of bonuses, overtime, and general frills the private sector get like nights out free xmas parties etc puts people off.

Should public servants get mileage. Yes they should if they use their cars for work end of.

Yawn indeed.

I'm not aware of public servants not working since 1979 or 17 hour tea breaks but it wouldn't surprise me.

Of course the country needs a public service but increasingly the public service is moreover about the public servants.

You're suggesting that objecting to the endemic structural problems with the PS are simple begrudgery and if one was benefitting from its largesse personally these issues would no longer exist..That is a pitiful way of thinking.

The lack of societal respect is entirely self-inflicted. I don't know any of the "frills" you mention but I know all about the incremental pay, superannuation, 6 months sick pay, job for life "frills" of the public service.

Out of pocket expenses only in the course of their work. End of.

You should get a job in there Yorky and sort the place out.

I know someone personally in there who is in the same profession as me.

There is no comparison hands down the public sector employee at my job in the private doesnt have the company car. Diesel card. Finishing bonus. Paid for CPD training. Promotion opportunities. That I have.

Its horses for courses.

If you have an issue with the structure get a job there sort it out.

I am grateful for them and the work they do. Try an underdeveloped country for a few weeks with a poor public service see how that goes

The simple fact there is waste everywhere public and private.

We dont do to bad in this country with the PS so why not support it.

• Advertisement

"Public servants get incremental pay increases based upon time served regardless of performance or lack thereof.

WRONG.

Increments are not automatic, they are performance based, and are also limited by number of points on a scale. Once you hit the max for your grade, you stay at that rate until promoted. No more increments.

I didn't bother reading any further than that. I mean if you don't even have the most basic information right?

You really need to fact check before spouting nonsense on the internet making yourself look utterly foolish.

They will get a pay rise because they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

A friend of mine in the private sector doesn’t even get an incremental pay increase or any pay increase. Pay was frozen indefinitely.

1) Who do you think pays for the 'no problem' pay rises in the private sector? We all do as customers, every time we pay our broadband or buy our groceries or have a meal out or takeaway. It may be no problem to you, but inflation is definitely a problem for me. And I know you're going to come back with the snappy 'but you have choices' as it that makes it OK. Try choosing between the 'great' customer support of Eir and Virgin, for example, in terms of call wait times and competing to find cheaper and cheaper countries to outsource their phone calls to, regardless of the impact on customers. You DO have choices of course when it comes to public services. IF you don't like things here, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

2) There's no point because you've nothing other than anecdote. You think the entire public service should be outsourced and Toryified because of what your mate told you in the pub, regardless of all the evidence of positive citizen experiences and strong performance of international comparisons. You throw out complaints about 'lack of flexibility' after two years of the public service turning itself on its head, changing services, roles, structures, and staff paying for the heating and power of their office locations. You're not very good at facts, are you?

3) and 4) Funny how quickly you run out of anything factual to say when challenged.

5) Do you actually know what 'exponentially' means? Perhaps you're more optimistic about the outcome of the next round of pay negotiations, but I'd be really surprised if I get an exponential salary increase. And yes, public services require people to run them - it is pretty difficult to run schools, hospitals, social welfare offices, libraries, parks without having actual humans paid to do a job. That's just a fact, regardless of how much you want to whinge about it.

6) So you were wrong about PRD being reverted and you were wrong about back pay for those cuts that were reverted. And yes, public sector pensions ARE paid out of current expenditure, same as in many countries around the world. Again, that's not a criticism of public servants, who don't get any choice in the matter. That's also why there will almost certainly never be a switch to DC pensions - because the Government would be funding BOTH DC and DB pensions for about 50 years before the savings kick in. That's a hard sell, politically. You were wrong about 6 months sick pay too.

7) There is no 'rebate'. Public servants pay the same taxes as everyone else, and MORE in fact, with the ASC. And private sector people get lots of benefits from the State. The vast majority of households in the country get child benefit, or older person pensions. Lots of households got their PUP subsidies, as did their employers. Lots of employers are happy to suckle at the tit for a wide range for grants and subsidies. And then there is the wide variety of tax reliefs availed of by many, especially by the middle/higher income earners. Let's have a close look at all those before you jump to too many conclusions.

8) Yes, out of pocket expenses, fuel, tyres, servicing, tolls, parking, insurance - all rolled into the single mileage payment - but I tell you what, let's do away with all of that use of private cars. Let's just rent cars for public servants where necessary, or let's do every trip on public transport, turning a one-day trip to Ballina or Belmullet into a two-day or three-day trip with overnights instead. ILet's not have public servants getting up at five am or getting home at ten or eleven pm after being flexible. We'll do all the trips in working hours on public transport, and see how that works out for you. Be careful what you wish for.

One of the things you learn when you get into policy development is to ignore unsupported anecdotes, like the 'my friend'.... stories. Direct personal experience is a valuable input to policy development. Second hand stories from down the pub, not so much.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

It's not that I can't answer every one of your points rather I can't be bothered-you just come back with predictable institutionalised PS employee guff. It's an unwinnable argument-all I can hope for is for the general public to eventually wake up to the reality of the pubic service money pit and the cost of which is depriving them of vital public services and how much the beneficiaries get out of day to day expenditure when they "retire", which they never do as that suggests they've paid in to a variable value pension fund when in reality they just go on to reduced pay in addition to a tax-free lump sum. It's reprehensible that public monies are used to make the protected sector wealthy.

And you do get six months sick pay-three months full pay then three months half pay unlike the private sector who get a maximum of €208/week (I do realise you know this but your denial is just semantics about it not being "full pay" for six months). And that is aggregated over five years. Oh and not forgetting sick leave is treated as annual leave by many PS employees, planned in advance each year and taking the maximum possible, to the last day, over the aggregated period. And before you predictably protest, this is obviously anecdotal but the sick leave statistics in the public service speak for themselves. They are just unbelievable compared to the private sector. But don't tell me, it's from being overworked😂

Public servants and performance-based in the same sentence 😄

If there were performance assessments, with actual consequences, in the PS the numbers would be decimated.

You really need to stop spouting guff in a sad attempt to defend the indefensible.

Just carry on enjoying the largesse and ignore my posts (you're untouchable remember?) while the rest of us contend with the vagaries of the free-market economy, working to pay your wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If your performance isnt satisfactory in thebcivil service you wont get your increment. Again another BS statement you have made. I'd hate to have someone like you working for my team in the civil service. A negative horrible little man.

I think we should start a drinking game.

Everyone take a shot each time Yorky repeats were "defending the indefensible" when someone correct them on yet another thing they've gotten completely arseways.

🥤

It is an unwinnable argument when the facts aren’t on your side. It is an unwinnable argument when all you have is the kind of tired oul guff you get from the pub bore that you can’t wait to escape from. It is an unwinnable argument when you have to make up your own definition of ‘retirement’ different to the definition used by everyone else, all over the world. It is an unwinnable argument when it relies on pretending that sick pay doesn’t exist in the private sector. It is an unwinnable argument when you speak about ‘many PS employees’ based on what you admit is purely anecdotal. It is an unwinnable argument when the actual data on public sector absence rates tells the complete reverse story to what you claim.

Tell you what - tell us where these ‘many PS employees’ who use sick leave as additional annual leave, and I’ll do the FOI request for you to see the exact data, so we can see exactly what’s going on. You’ll find that the most of the leave absences are taken by a relatively small number of staff, those who face into cancer, stroke, serious injury or other conditions that require months of absence and rehab to recover. But you won’t be happy until you downgrade the terms and conditions of every public sector employee to that of the worst of precarious employment provided by your heroes in ‘the real economy’. Unfortunately for you, the trend is going in the opposite direction.

• Advertisement

Great post Andrew, I’d encourage public servants to continue on with the good work they do and don’t give a moments thought to the likes of Yorky. Like the rest of us he has one vote come election time. That’s his only change to influence how the country is run.

How’s that “working to pay our wages” working out for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Ooh touched a nerve to the extent you had to go looking for other posts in an attempt to discredit me eh?

Quite pitiful really and just shows how aware you are of the validity of my points. Not everyone in the private sector is ignorant to the public service debacle, unfortunately for you.

Apropos the post you quoted, being in the real economy (you know the one that pays your wages?) my employment was ended due to the pandemic. Unfortunately, unlike many public servants, the option of 18 months holiday on full pay wasn’t open to me so had to rely on the PUP.

All you’re doing is further highlighting how completely out of touch you are with how the economy works while you’re smugly sitting in your ps bubble

Nearly as classic as the PS getting paid whether they work or not.

No LOL

You’ll be giving this more than a moments thought when public opinion eventually turns against you and reform foisted upon you.

Nothing lasts forever, even the PS

Negative horrible little man aka someone who knows how the ps works😆

Just ignore me, sure you’re unaccountable to anyone especially non-ps plebs like me

The public service put their shoulder to the wheel after the crash of 2008. Paycuts and reforms were implemented without too much complaint. Some of those were reversed over the years and rightly so. More to follow. The government haven’t forgotten the cooperation of the PS when the chips were down. I don’t see them shafting the PS now. Especially after the work many did during the covid pandemic. I believe a pay increase will be paid out in the next round of negotiations.

Yorky don’t give up the dream of joint the PS, do a course and prepare well for the interviews. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Exaclty. Will enjoy my next 4000 kms @ 85c each.

• Advertisement

You’ve some neck, still banging the “paying your salary “ drum while you were drawing the PUP, still banging the “public service doing nothing “ when that was precisely what you were doing yourself.

It really is starting to look like the green eyed monster has gotten under your skin.

So are you actually contributing to the State now?

Advertisement