Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They already have Baikal which is pretty decent

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The UN is hobbled because Russia is permanent member and can veto

UAE are a bit funny, they see to be on the fence here a bit, but at least they are opened up the oil reserves to reduce global prices

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Perhaps. An arms-length Wagner mercenary op with not-so-plausible deniability would be the most likely method of sabotage.

Being flown into countries like Poland, then come across those their border with Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I don't believe this fantasy every one is spouting about Putin using Nukes. If Russia uses Nukes so do Nato and game is up for everyone but Russia will be in the process wiped off the map of the earth. I wouldn't even be surprised if Russias Nukes actually diddn work when you look at the state of some of their military equipment and tanks. Russia will be beaten also in nuclear war if Putin goes down that road but it doesn't matter to anyone at that stage as we are all dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yup, crashed mere metres away from a student accomodation building in Zagreb, the Croatian capital, at 11 pm. Very lucky it didn’t kill anyone as it crashed down. The claim is it is possibly Ukranian as it the type of Drone TU-141 Strizh, and that is being used solely by Ukranians - allegedly. But could be Belorussian as well, according to its range. It flew over Hungary to end up in Croatia.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Unreal the Russia is bullying the west, '' don't interfere of else'' while Belarus is like, '' sure we'll join in and attack Ukraine too''

While Russia is like '' we'll attack convoys supplying weapon''

WTF

West should be in there defending Ukraine, on Ukraine soil only! It should never leave the battlefield, this talk of Putin leveling New York is bull, it's a war he could NEVER win. If anything the west would wipe tho whole of Russian off the map

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Indeed, you'd think that Russian forces on the ground in Ukraine must be feeling very exposed and a bit paranoid. To not only have to advance on an army dug in and determined to resist but to know that sophisticated intelligence forces are watching you and advising said defenders from afar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

A wild guess but I reckon Biden probably knows what Putin had for breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Looks like Russian and China's media might be turning against Putin. Russian TV pundits [2 of them] are publicly sounding out against the war and in China, the state TV has started calling the Russian invasion a 'War'. Putin's days are slowly been numbered.

As for what our TDs are saying, we could sound out a lot more against Putin. Ireland has a horrifying history of dealing with Terror and we know more about Terror than most. We should start calling Russia a state sponsor of terror. We also need to start talking much harder line with the arrogant and haughty attitude of Russian politicians to the world.

Anyday now I half expect some Russian to start dotting out lines like 'what are you afraid of'

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Hardly surprising. The Russians nickname for London is laundry. I saw David cameron this week defending a tennis match he played with the wife of an ex Russian minister under putin. Boris was at it too. David assures everyone russia wasn't mentioned during it. She paid 160k for it. Also making a Russian businessman a lord against security advice, lord of siberia is one of his titles.

In July 2020, Lebedev was nominated for a life peerage by UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, a move that drew criticism. British security services warned that granting Lebedev a peerage posed a national security risk, but Johnson went ahead with it despite the security service assessment.Lebedev has sat in the House of Lords as a crossbench life peer since 19 November 2020. The New York Times wrote in 2022, "nobody is a better example of the cozy ties between Russians and the [British] establishment than Mr. Lebedev.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The UN needs to adapt then doesn't it or become redundant like the League of Nations. Where there's a will, there's a way.

In my opinion, he has a stronger hold on effective propaganda than any of his predecessors, especially since 2011. Polls have shown that Russians, by a large majority, support his manufactured narratives. This is a man who openly poisons people with trademarked Russian nerve agent. His grip is extraordinary.

The average Russian seems to be either helpless (arrested if protesting) or apathetic or supports Putin. Of the two key groups, the oligarchs and the strongmen, the oligarchs have shown they are impotent, their fate is entwined with Putin's. The strongmen support the war. Maybe the economy crashing down the line will get normal Russians to wake up and risk 15 years in prison for protesting about it, but I don't know. Perhaps something in the mid-level (with the military) could happen. Not holding out any hope for either really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭corkie

US is said to believe Ukraine can keep control of Kyiv for another 4 to 6 weeks, according to NBC News

US intelligence believed the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, could hold out for at least another month.

The official said that Russia's troops were considered capable of encircling Kyiv in as little as a week but that the latest estimates by US intelligence — subject to change — were that Ukrainians could maintain control of Kyiv for another four to six weeks.

I assume that the convey of vehicles, now disperse to shelter has sorted out there supply chain?

CNN 'Staggering': Retired general on Russian convoy's tactics

Yeah but it would involve removing Russia as a permanent member, which China would not allow to happen. The UN does do good work around the world, but in these types of situations, it has bark (for global optics) but not much bite.

Maybe some new global group will emerge out of the ashes of this conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

“I don't think anyone is claiming it was deliberate. It's possible it went out of control. Seemingly the Tu-141 surveillance drone is Soviet built, but Ukraine is the only known operators of them. Given that it's a surveillance drone, the mere fact that it crashed anywhere indicates a severe malfunction.”

(The quote function not working for me for some reason.)

From what I understand from Croatian media (and being an absolute army missiles ignoramus), the crash itself needn’t be a malfunction as such, it has to do with the drone’s range or something. The malfunction happened when it went out of control in the first place. I wonder how that happens. And I wonder which side it was!

We don't know if they have sorted it out, but they are moving again. There's always a chance they could be a "ruse" to deflect attention away from the south (although Kyiv is definitely a key strategic goal of Russia) but indeed I reckon they will try to make moves on Kyiv in the coming days. The Ukrainians are pulling counter-attacks, so this whole thing could be slow. The Russians seem to be terrible at doing anything fast, but are having more success taking it "slowly", however the slow approach is heavy on morale, attrition and logistics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Goes against my better judgement but I'll respond.

Sure, Russia are shouting everyone down and handing out threats to the west. But in reality, the West knows they are all bark and no bite with those threats. The west is still supplying Ukraine with state of the art weaponry by the plane load.

Make no mistake about it, Russia are struggling here. They are inching forward due to brute force but they won't be able to keep sustaining these losses. Putin thought they would have control of Kiev weeks ago. He's not even reached the city, is struggling to get control of others and when they do get control they are struggling to keep it. They are getting a little desperate, hence the increase in 'noise'.

The West cannot get into a direct conflict with Russia for very obvious reasons.

Lavrov is a head the ball. In almost every Ukrainian city except for Lviv, the preferred language of the street is Russian.

The Ukrainian Orthodox church split from Moscow, and when you see how the Patriarchate of Moscow has been completely hijacked by the Putinists and the Russian nationalist agenda, it's easy to understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The question I have is does “stop the war in Ukraine” mean the same thing in Russia and

China?

Like Are they saying it from a “Russia must stop the war” or kind of a “somebody needs to stop the war” (like a “can somebody please think of the kids” statement that doesn’t blame russia).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Everything on Russian state TV is prerecorded, if they're changing the narrative it's because they've been told to. They could be building the offramp that the Yanks always go on about.

Ignoring the tweets of flavour-of-the-week Foreign Ministry crazies like Zhao Lijian, I think in the inner-sanctum of Zhongnanhai and the Standing Committee of the CCP are very thrown by this war. If Putin starts to look like a winner, they'll start throwing their weight behind him more overtly. But it's very very unclear that he'll end up anywhere on top when the cost is counted. China can't afford to have their relations with the West get any worse.

Secretly, many at the upper echelons of the Chinese political system miss the high-water-mark days of the early 2000s to early 2010s when their political transgressions were more or less ignored and the economic going was good for them. There is political capital to be had from the West for taking the right line, but the West also needs to make sure if there is a re-set with Beijing relationships, some of the activities of the last decade or so since Xi has really tightened his grip won't be tolerated to the same extent.

We don't get to see it that much, but palace intrigue in Beijing is very real, and this war will have implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭cmac2009

It's even worse than that, apparently. When the security services came back with their security risk assessment, Johnson took a personal interest in the case, and I assume after some coaxing by him, the security services changed their position. He somehow was no longer deemed a security risk after looking at it again!

Also, he wanted his title as 'Lord of Lebedev Moscow', but the Tories thought that was a step too far so Siberia it was. The Times had a good article on it last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

What is Russia’s end game? Even if they overcome a city, they will not be able to maintain control of it for any long period…

Also, Russian influencers crying about their lack of McD’s, designer boutiques and ‘gram is very maladroit. Hmmm, dying children in a hospital don’t know how hard those young people in Russia have it; no more Big Macs, or Louis Vuitton. Sickening!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Without a doubt they would. There is an immense amount of western hot air and bravado insisting Putin must not be allowed to succeed, etc, while not saying how that can be achieved via pacifism and inaction. Sanctions take too long and are impotent against rapid military action.

I know it's doomed to failure, but my suggestion to politicians is to ditch the hollow platitudes and false bravado and only say what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Are all those weapons and humanitarian aid nothing?

The West is doing what it can, without blowing the whole mess into WWIII (though sadly, the Gremlin seems to have its sights further afield).

People like to bitch at the West. We are damned when we intervene and damned when we don’t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Only the fat, balding, little old man with the bouncing moobs on horseback knows what the end game is.

Normal people on the street probably just want a Big Mac.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement