Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Just this week and in theory good idea but most stock farmers know little about growing crops ….we do know how to make grass silage but lots need to change approach from smiling at a harvester puffing smoke crawling through a swath of heavy poor quality silage …..quality silage gives u more wiggle room …poor quality silage needs meal to bridge the gap ….that meal will be a crazy price and in tight supply ….I’m working off that

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

The fertilizer companies did just that last autumn when they saw it wasn’t viable to stay making fertilizer at the time ( yara )

I’m tightly stocked and feed fairly heavy …feed levels will be back a bit and anything not responding to feed will be out the fap some of these will be replaced more won’t …reference year still at back of my mind and I won’t be dropping numbers drastically with it in Mind ….I’m thinking twice now about keeping my beef calves …looking into beet and a oats peas clover combo crop

s d stitching in redstart after it…..if ever a year to have a bank of quality feed this is it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

Teagasc advice is to get the urea out because the tips of the grass is going yellow. It's out of nitrogen they say. I thought it was the weather myself. Better pull the spinner out of the shed for next week I suppose.

I will cut down stock numbers to as low as I can so as to preserve forage. From all I have read of farmer experience with drought (not the piddly dry spells we get here) those who de-stock first in order to preserve their land health come out better the other side, both financially and mentally. With all the buying in of acres, be it through fertiliser, ration, or fodder purchases we may experience some effects of a drought if you get me. Where I don't want to be is keeping X number, graze the place to the scut, and find I have no options left to buy in possible non existent fodder at a time when stock prices may have become depressed.

Should we experience a bad harvest/Winter or Spring along with all the rest it'll make for interesting times. Pretty confident if I pull my finger out and manage my grazing as I plan to I'll have enough to get me to Summer 2023. Probably my only weak spots are a protein source as a rumen aid and should there be an issue with medicines supply, but I would hope (always a bad plan) that implementing better grazing will increase animal health as a bonus.

Mend and make do comes to mind, I wouldn't gamble on this war ending soon, great if it does but better idea to prepare for it to drag on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem.is lads that love the rations. They look at sage as a cost never factoring in the ration cost. Until lately the rag was still advocating adlib feeding to finish cattle. They be out doing the cost again in 2-3 weeks.

There is a lot of farmers out there who's silage plan is slurry, a bag of CAN and a bag of 18-6-12. For quality you need N especially and you P and K need to be right. How many lads were going to let P&K slip this year.

Those lads that spread minimal fertlizer are more likely to cut fertlizer back than spread more of it... And you have to factor if they can get it.

The only problem I see is the ability to source seed for all these forage crops. On the combo crop I would use barley and peas, forget about the clover or even barley by itself. Advantage of barley by itself is you can whole crop it and you have a high fiber and high energy crop at a competitive cost. Adding in peas and clover means protein but you energy's level will be lower. I think Proteins may not get overly expensive this year as loads of soya grown in the US and Brazil. Energy will be the real issue.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Ah Reggie!!

It’s guys like you fcuk it up for everyone else!!!

Whoa there Lad!!!

Talk like that?? Clean out your mouth with some soapy water!!🤣

Why is there such a push back against growing some tillage? Tillage will pay much better than any other enterprise this year.

Surely it’s better to duck and dive with what’s the most profitable rather than sticking both heels in the ground…or are farmers expecting to get bailed out by gov if the proverbial hits the fan?

Im going to cut back numbers in a substantial way..because it’s a no-brainer. The market was never as good for cull cows, and the price of grains are reaching historic highs..you don’t have to be an accountant to see that.

I already have a sizeable bank of feed in yard as of now ….grass silage is all more than adequate dry cow grub ….pit of maize just open and wheat for wholecropping already in and for harvest in summer….concentrating now on filling grass silage pit with decent quality stuff cut mid may high quality light crops of bales ….a combi crop or beet most likely combi then dd redsrart into it ….westerwolds in after wheat ….most likely no young stock bar fr heifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭alps

Could badly do with letting cows off here, but this dairy quota threat is playing on us.

However, after this year, will we see some touch if an exodus from the game. So many are totally **** sick of it, and very little will now entice them to pull the plug.

There probably is no risk in reducing numbers now...but still not sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

2022 won't be a reference year, department are making noise of 2018/2021, 1kg meal is looking like it will pass out milk price per litre, fertilizer if you haven't got it in the yard our ordered mighten be got, 21 as a reference year would be preferable, theirs no way national milk production will increase in 22, a betting man would probably predict a drop of over a billion litres easily if the doomsday scenarios play out

So many if's..

Legality of a milk quota may keep that at bay, butbthere are so many ways that theybcould bring in a stock/numbers/carbon/emissions quota.

Applying such a quota retrospectively will be hotly contested, and the dept may just be saying to themselves right now, that 2022 will see reductions anyway, so why not drag the decision out a little and apply limitations after this year's pain has been experienced.

A qualification that 2022 will not be a reference year, shold any ever be applied, would be really helpful right now..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,607 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My dad was just saying in all his years farming this is the most uncertain. At least in bad weather years you can get meal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

I know people are worried about reducing stock in case of quota. But like the famine maybe the first year is only a taster. Won't be worrying about milk quota if there is no change the 12 march next year. How about not starting breeding till the 1st of June. Cut a lot of the meal out

Thought that myself the other day, I'd swap present day today and go back to a 2016 type scenario in a heartbeat, doing the sums on 1000 euro a ton can and going with a bag to the acre on a 21 day round, a 100 cow farm on 100 acres, grazing 5 acres a day will be spending 250 euro a day on fertiliser to keep grass into cows, the sums don't make sense given all other inputs are skyrocketing on top of this, glanbia shamefully using the elb bonus to mask paying 2 cent below lakelands base price has me seriously questioning will they step up to the plate and pay the prices needed to survive this year and I'm doubtful they will

• Registered Users Posts: 29,607 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Yesterday's milk price announcement the usual crap, masking a miserable base price. 41.58 cpl, should be at least 45cpl base price atm

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Could they use it to put lads under pressure and get out, save them having to run another retirement scheme and then what's left will be the few big lads tied into them with so much debt they will have them by the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Reference year for CAP or reference year for potential milk quota?

Scale isn't going to save anyone in the current environment, it's quiet the opposite, the smaller set-up with moderate to no debt and cut back numbers and tip away, the bigger lads are the opposite and if production costs exceed output costs they are goosed, you have to remember theirs a significant amount of debt to be paid down by the co-op a dwindling milk pool is nightmare stuff, for Jim and his groupies, with the only way to finance commitments been to hit milk price further then they already are ...

They have rightly messed up with their peak milk supply rules, it basically renders msa void and it won't be a surprise if neighbouring co-ops start recruiting glanbia suppliers to shore up their own milk pools

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I was thinking along the same lines, I was restricted in the quota years

Didn't want to see that happening again, but talking to alot of lads, their sick of it

We're finished with reference years for CAP.

The plan (I reckon) was to be off entitlements by the next review and payment flat to whoever is farming the compliant hectare.

All current plans are for payments on environmental targeted measures.

Those plans might just about be reviewed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Yeah that's what I thought in that there would be no more reference years for CAP. Would be more in their line to use the land to become more self sufficient rather than keeping 5 meter margins for a few frogs and birds.

Apologies, I obviously miss-spoke what I meant to say was triple stock, build a new grant spec shed, let go any leased land and to compensate cut hedges down to the nub so the cows can see the neighbours place better to break in, and tell the herd daily, live cow and you may eat!

Better? 😀

Don't know about possible new quotas tbh so won't can't make much comment

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I think it all come s down to land quality.despite persisting for years I came to the conclusion that we are we don't have the land good enough.there is no field that we have that you wont meet rock when ploughing,added to that most fields are on slopes and some steep sections,soil depth is poor and average field size is 1 hectare which makes operations very slow.added to that we don't have the infrastructure to handle the grain at home.my thoughts are the machinery and infrastructure to handle grass is there and we will make the best use of that.during the quota years long dry periods and low ration usage were a feature and we survived.the comment about fr cows hanging upside down this autumn is a very real possibility and maybe now is the time to think about it

If current political conditions persist, just wait for the shouting and screaming for special grants next Spring, particularly if the weather goes against us. Thing is, after Covid expenses, possible wider societal expenses due to supply interruptions of "whatever", will they have the will or money to fork (grape, pike....) out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

Deffo JK s calculator. And there’s a few buttons missing too….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

It's not about bailing out the farmer, it's bailing out the whole industry that farmers are keeping going.

Advertisement