Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

todays posts have included death to putin ,misogyny and ass licking …The watch forum has it all today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭micks_address

I wonder with the new Batman movie will Rolex batman's go up in price...just to round it out swartz :)

Anyone know how that particular Rolex got the nickname Batman? Batman isn’t black and blue ( maybe after a fight …Sorry Dad joke ) anyway , I can see how the nickname , coke , hulk etc came about but blue has nothing to do with Batman , If one was to be called the Batman you would think it would be the black gmt .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Is that a Barton canvas strap? Thinking of getting one to try on my own flieger maybe green or a leather nato. I'm going to pick up a spare brown strap from Stowa too and I might get the black one to though I'm usually not a fan of black leather always preferred brown.

Probably more to do with the original comic book versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah if you watch the new movie it would be red and black

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Finally pulled the trigger on this Black Bay Heritage 41mm last weekend. Weirs we’re out of stock and Sheerans wouldn’t budge on the price so luckily Dawson Jewellers had a practically new watch!

I’m already on the hunt for a nice nato and rubber straps for it so any suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

A beauty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I’ve an Everest rubber strap, wasn't particularly cheap, but very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

I treat this like the ugly duckling of my watch collection. It’s the watch that when I don’t wear for a few weeks I forget how nice it is and toy with selling.

But it is lovely and fills a “manly rugged steel sports” gap in my small collection and the only bracelet watch I own.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

100% spot on. Got a seamaster pro a few weeks ago. Almost new. Think the guy bought it in AD in Caens in France September 2021. Issue with the clasp last weekend. Brought it into AD in Cork today. Flashed the warranty card from the AD in Caens. No problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Crafter Blue straps look good.

The Pelagos rubber strap would be worth trying, if it fits the Black Bay end links. The height and lug design of the Tudor mean that chunky rubber straps like the Isofrane don't suit it, in my opinion.

To see if a nato works visually, you could try a velcro strap from Amazon, something like on my Garmin here:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

@893bet thats a fabulous watch, classy without being brash. @893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Pablo_Fox: that's very nice.

However, every time I looked at the dial, I would not be able to stop the refrain in my head — "Nevermore"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

New strap for the Seiko arrived yesterday. A Barton cordura / silicone hybrid strap. Looks nice, comfortable as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great post. That said I heard the other day on one of the watch channels that AP are now going to do exactly that: go boutique only. AP is far smaller than Rolex so that move would make a lot less sense as their costs / overheads etc. per watch sold would be many times higher?

They must reckon they can get 3-4 times the margin per watch if they go it themselves (and significantly up the prices of the watches over the next few years). I doubt they will be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Well that depends on if AP decide to massively increase their retail prices, selling in or around current RRP wont do anything more for them.

Of course. No reason why they couldn't up the retail prices to the current grey market prices. That's what I would do if I owned AP 😁

So a 30k Royal oak will jump to 130k.....think that through and its effect on the secondary market, how bad that would be for customers, the drop in demand (you can have any watch you want tomorrow if you will pay anything but the number of these buyers is limited) also think of the non hype watches, the women's watches etc they cannot offload at the moment....there is a litany of reasons they dont do it, and its not cause they are not as smart as you They creep prices up slowly so as not to shock their customers, but the grey can react faster.

Why dont all companies providing a good or service increase their prices up to the level of the most expensive provider in the market? Its because either the market will not withstand it or because the product of service is not worth it, or the number of people willing to pay the premium for say faster delivery is small.

Ah of course it will take some time, but there is no reason the likes of Rolex should sell a Daytona for €10k when they can get €30k for it, up the prices by about 8-9% twice a year and it won't take long

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nail on head. It's already happened in the vintage world*. Prices increased and were selling, then the prices hit a point where the majority of the market pretty much said nope, prices remained high, but few were buying and the market stagnated.

*even Hodinkee who are more insulated because of brand buy in have seen this and adjusted a lot of their prices downwards. Big name auction houses are even more insulated, but hammer prices softened even there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Because the number of people willing to pay 30k for a Daytona is very small, far smaller than the number of Daytona's. They already up the prices slowly 5-6% per year.. Also if the resale market is destroyed with RRP increases it kills the "investment" bit of the watch,l kills demand, kills the flipper market.....it is a nice idea, but the devil in all things is the nuance. You start making a stainless steel watch that costs 1k to manufacture into a 30k watch and people will soon loose interest. Rolex is mid tier stuff, aspirational brand. Kill the hope of having one...kill the brand.

But sure if you want to buy a Daytona, there's no way around paying €30k for one? It's irrelevant that the RRP is only €10k. Yeah the flippers lucky enough / knowing or bribing sales staff, etc. will lose out. And the very rare genuine buyer who just got lucky and bought for themselves from the AD at retail, but will never sell. But no one else will lose out or have their expectations shattered 😂

Every Rolex Daytona ever made was sold at retail once to somebody..... Make it 30k and a lot of people simply wont be able to afford it or see the value in it. How many datejusts would Rolex shift without the Daytona et al in the background as the rewards? You can avoid paying 30k by having the patience of Job and being willing to take dozens of small losses on other watches.

AP is the same they use the hype models to shift code 11.59, remasters Jules Audemars and millinaries. It suits them to have ungettable cheap investment hype watches. Remove the low price and remove the incentive. They already double their profit cause they make you buy a couple of Chrono 11.59;s to even go on a list for a Royal oak. I can walk into Weirs tomorrow and buy a 150k complicated patek out of the case....People want these watches because they are cheap, ever considered why people want stainless.....its cause its cheap, its attainable. AP likes the stainless models to by hyped and cheap...builds recognition for the gold watches and the turbillions, and the iced out stuff where they actually make their money. Why kill the goose selling the golden eggs.

In business you can skin alive customer once or work on the repeat business model. These old watch companies think more about the long term position than eeking a few extra euros of profit out today and risk destroying the market or loosing position. Its a carefully thought out strategy. It would be myopic and dumb for them to case grey market profits. That is a unsustainable model for a manufacturer.Crying laughing emoji's aside I think you are missing the bigger picture here....the watch market for manufacturers is not Hyped stainess sports watches....those are the entry level watches, the good will builders and the lures to get people to buy the stuff they actually want to sell, that has massive margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Having a few beers in Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Hate this new quote format but anyway... "the watch market for manufacturers is not Hyped stainess sports watches....those are the entry level watches, the good will builders and the lures to get people to buy the stuff they actually want to sell, that has massive margins"

I'd disagree with that. Product tiering and artificial scarcity are common models across many types of products and industries. In all cases, the key market is always the entry/lower-mid tier because that is where volume sales are. Unless you are operating a model where you are a tiny volume self-producer with no concerns about consistent supply chain, then any business needs turnover more than it does margin. Consistent, stable sales volume allows a manufacturing business to maintain supply chain, staff, production facilities etc. Occasional high-margin sales is never sustainable and is actually why so many luxury brands go under.

A "halo" product such as a 150k Patek exists not to be the prime sales goal for the manufacturer, it exists to persuade the volume buyers that your lower tier models are something worth buying, and maybe pay a smaller premium over what the market is set for similar volume pieces from other brands. You can look at any market and see the same thing - a silicon chip manufacturer spits out hundreds of thousands of the same chip, separates them by quality, and sells the lowest quality at high volumes at lower prices. The best performing chips from the same batch could be 99% the same, but exist in smaller quantities, and may be many multiples of the price of the entry level to create a "halo" product which hypes the brand. In some cases, the "halo" product doesn't even exist (various GPU launches over the last decade have been nothing more than "paper" launches with no physical product ever shipping except in SEC-satisfying "we didn't technically lie" ghost sales).

Nvidia may sell the biggest and best GPU, but its margins and market dominance is all based on its entry level cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

added a new watch Ive had my eye on to the collection today after a visit to weirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Beautiful, congrats!

congrats , can’t go wrong with a speedie . What else is in the collection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Advertisement