Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

28 ton total fert usage for arguments sake , last year a mixture of can/compound at circa 450 euro 12600 euro, let's say a even 1000 a ton given current prices today so 28000 euro

80 cows doing 6000 litres 480000 litres, his fert costs alone have gone from 2.5 cent a litre to around 6 cent a litre, that's 3.5 cent, meal last year at 265 a ton this year will be 465 if it stops their, say a ton a cow feed so 200 odd euro a cow extra that's another 3 cent a litre.....

Contractor charges arguments sake he makes 600 bales a year, you can tag on a fiver a bale ballpark between increased contractor charges and plastic, 3k on this bill, electricity/diseal you'd in a normal year be talking 1.5 cent a litre, will be nearer 2.5 cent a litre this year conservatively....

Your silage and diseal/electricity bill has tagged on another 2 cent, we are up to 8 cent a litre now in extra charges, and theirs another plethora of variable costs that have increased, but the most pressing issue will the supply of feed and fert even be obtained like a normal year at the above prices to produce the same output as other years that's the great unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭alps

Not miles, but he needs to add in electricity, contractor, parts/repairs/maintenance....all taking a serious hike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Did you not move to France so you could farm the way you wanted to or at least in a way you couldn't see working here. Sell the cows and set the farm to tillage, at majority of scales in Ireland won't provide a consistent income swinging back the other way not so easy either.

What works over there may not here. Sure look at everything but not as straight forward as you make out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Yes land type is vital…but it always was before quotas were abolished.

All this talk of milk quotas being reintroduced has me mystified. Firstly, milk quotas can’t be introduced without EU saying so. Secondly, if ‘quota’ is reintroduced, it’ll surely be as an environment protection policy of some sorts…ie, stocking rates or the like. Thus why worry about reference years etc? For argument’s sake, if a stocking rate is introduced, it’ll always be that rate whether you had 5 cows/ha or 2.5 cows/ha. Am I missing something?

It'll be farmers doing the shouting. If the political conditions persist things may not be so rosy economically and strategies that (?) worked previously may not be as well received. Particularly is other sections of society need bailing out also, and Covid hasn't been paid for yet. As I said, I don't want to be in a position where I'm caught out so I plan to act now. If I'm wrong, no harm done to me, if I'm right I'll save myself much ballache.

• Advertisement

I moved because of land/conacre price, and land availability. Reducing cow numbers and increasing tillage is a commercial decision…a decision that I wouldn’t have to do too much consulting with my accountant about…in fact it’s a no-brainer.

On Tuesday sunflowers for next harvest were €600, Wednesday €700 and €805 on Thursday…and I took a nibble on Thursday. I took a plunge on 30% of estimated yield. There isn’t a cow in Europe that could compare with that. And it’s not just in sunflowers, it’s across the board in all commodities. The farmers that are sticking their heels in the ground are either depending on Gov bailouts/supports or are on land that’s not fit for anything else. (IMHO!).

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Interesting reading all this, has anybody considered moving to holistic management?

Looks like it could be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He might not be assuming he has acted fast and bought his fertlizer already. Total fertlizer cost assuming he bought it 7+days ago for 80cows @6k litres is 4.6c/ , last year it was1.9c/ L. However last year was an anomaly with cheapest fertlizer in 6-8 years. With fertlizer at 400/ ton average it would cost him 2.3c/ L.

If he has acted in time extra fertlizer is 2.3c/ L. If he was doing his sums like that I imagine he has already bought it. If he is down your direction and grows 8 acres of barley and whole crops it he is home and hosed.

4c/ L may be optimistic but he be below 6c/L at a guess. That on a 6k L cow. He is not overstocked so he has a great fighting chance

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

But is there a scale limit where that would be viable or doable in terms of providing an income not just for the current year but following years also? Continental Europe and America have a lot of farm's where crops are grown and harvested to feed cows, or sell grain due to their scale or indeed systems that can cater for both. Someone milking cows on 100 acres with accommodation for em but not much else and a 100hp tractor and fert spreader isn't likely to be able to switch to grain to make a living in similar fashion, particularly after contractors are paid for, etc

Dero farm's also have limits in how much land can be under grain currently afaik. We must all check everything out but wholesale changes may catch you out just as much

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I know what you mean, what Im getting at is maybe smaller lads with little or no debt have the option to get out, whereas as the bigger and heavier borrowed are tied in and its in the coops interest to keep them going...I'm thinking along the lines of NAMA and the developers, bank bailout type thing..thats in the doomsday scenario and I could be talking pure crap.

• Advertisement

Good point.

l wouldn’t be encouraging anything drastic. It would be crazy to suggest an instant radical change from dairy to tillage.

Fertilizer and feed are exploding right now and they’re the cornerstone of your enterprise…it wouldn’t be drastic to cut back in 10-20% of the free loading cows and plant a few acres. It’s a small hedge against things getting complicated like severe fertilizer restrictions next year or crazy feed prices. I’m not saying that it could happen, but anything seems to be possible right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Unfortunately the main industrial farming lobby groups simply want to double down on the current high input system and ignore the the many elephants in the room in terms of the uncontrollable costs of this approach and how the narrow focus on one particular sector for the last 10 years here has left farming here very exposed to outside shocks. IFJ in particular spinning its usual sh*te on the subject via its current editor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Great insights on here.

Not sure if it’s useful but a local independent merchant here in south-east of the country has stopped quoting for fertiliser. I ordered mine last week so just got it in time. I’ve no insight - I just got lucky! I think!

I actually bought slightly more than I need and paid €745 for 18-6-12 and €800 for 27-2.5-5. Time will tell if I’m a genius or the opposite…

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Government want a stop put to any more increase in Dairy emissions.

From a political point of view, and for public perception reasons, they cannkt have a scenario of a increase in emissions from an increase in numbers.

Even if we put every cow in calf to a beef bull this year, we will still see an increase in dairy numbers in '22, '23, and '24 due to the extra young stock on the ground currently.

All these stock were planned and acted upon before any climate bill or any sectoral targets, so impossible for farmers to have planned any different to the original development plan gov had in place.

But gov need action now, and Minister McG has "set up" (being the operative word) farm orgs and industries to come up with a plan to stop increases. Department' suggestions are

1. Milk Quota..(probably illegal as you say)

2. Cow Quota..referenced in the number of cows you milked in a particular year (suckler payments are based on an average of 3 years which you can pick from

3. Carbon quota.

Yet the Chair of the group (Boyle) maintains any decisions here will be voluntary..

A bit of a **** show will be the result of this forum, me thinks..

So...in light of the above...would you move to reduce cow numbers right now, to offset risks from fert, fuel, feed etc, or hold numbers high.?

Stocking rate "quotas" are elsewhere in the manual..

I would agree about half. If he bought 6 pallets last October it was probably near 50% of this year's fertlizer@500/ ton or less. That would drag his overall fertlizer costs down by a fraction.

Even if he never sowed barley,.he is in a.gresy position to buy it straight off the combine, whether as whole crop, for crimping or getting it dried.

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks for that Alps, it explains why dairy farmers are acting like the American NRA.

My main job is to minimize risk, whether that means having several streams of income or even shorting a commodity. If some type of restrictions (let’s not use the word ‘quota’) comes in, it won’t be on a regional level, eg, in Wexford there can’t be a rise of cow numbers etc etc. It’ll probably be at individual farm level. To make it fair on everyone surely a stocking rate limit will be put in place? However that doesn’t do anything for emissions…hmmm. Presumably they’ll lean on the Coops to put a cap on new suppliers? Or is this already in place?

Personally I’d fight any restrictions from ghg emissions tooth and nail. Farmers/cows didn’t cause this mess, so if they’re going to be part of the solution, then the chèque book will have to be brought out. Any company/enterprise that have ‘solutions’ to emissions are getting very handsomely paid indeed, so why not farmers?

I’d support stocking rate controls. Farmers had plenty time to show that they could manage high stocking rates by exporting slurry etc, and they didn’t, so restrict the stocking rates. That’ll go a long way to cleaning up the environment, and the eventual removal of the derogation should copperfasten the results.

It is a rather tricky dilemma considering the geopolitical situation we’re in atm. Personally I’d play what’s in front of me…and I am. As cows become fit for the factory, up the ramp they’ll go. It’s easy for me because I’ve this years fodder already in stock. You lads are dealing with this years fodder on an ongoing basis…as the markets go crazy, on a daily basis. Not easy in an extremely volatile situation.

Traders are extremely bullish on wheat because China, the world’s largest wheat producer, came out saying that they could have the worst wheat harvest in decades…even though they’ve massive wheat stocks (if you could believe a word that comes out of China). Putin will use fertilizer as a weapon of war, that’s a certainty. So if this war drags on we will be looking at severe fert shortages which will create a grains shortage…but if there’s peace, the world will return to normality with plenty cheap fert and grains. Imho, it’s a matter of take your pick, but I’d be reacting now to the immediate crisis.

A UK farmer sent this to me just now…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Good loser

Justin McCarthy, the IFJ editor, is an outstanding journalist and has served this country and it's farming sector well since he took the job. He was specifically headhunted by Matt Dempsey the previous editor and that itself says a lot. His editorial in Jan1 this year was particularly apt advising against the dangers of compromising food security as energy security had been.

The article in the IFJ on the composition of slurry on the Tullamore farm this week was a very useful piece of journalism, based on facts, and relative to our current predicaments.

On the feed issue it might just be short term. Assume the Russian farms produce their usual crop and Ukraine is back 50%. Grain is not (usually) a perishable product so there will be a 6/12 month window after harvest to disperse. Both countries will be anxious to sell their crops for economic and logistical reasons.

The Russians hopefully will be beaten in 2/3 months - I sincerely hope they are made to pay for the restoration of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Russia made about 12 BN from grain last year it is under no urgency for a moderate sum, given the leverage it gives them.

I View it as their real weapon, their global game changer.

The Ukraine is not exporting grain this year, due to shortage fears.

Food supply and production should be treated as a strategic national interest by countries. The most important one.

Until that happens Farming is in big trouble in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

What has happened to all these so called food mountains that existed in Europe. I remember a stage when it was ever second week there was some one on the media giving out about over production in Europe and that we had massive wheat, butter and meat mountains. I bet there was some fucker at the back of it trying to make money out of getting rid of them.

I have a bad feeling that the EU has forgotten why CAP was set up originally, and that was for food security. I think they've dropped the ball maybe not as badly as the energy sector, but if it continued for a few more years the whole food supply chain would be gone to a just in time system, which yes is very efficient but no it's not practical and dangerous in the world we live in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Restricting sr and making assumptions come very easy to you dwag ….especially when it comes to cows and dairy farming which u seem to have a real bee in your bonnet with ……easy talk with a huge scale and multiple enterprises ….lots of us here constantly outline how we manage with high sr and be enviro complient ….of course there are those that don’t give 2 shites ….

Those folk that don’t give 2 shites are ruining it for everyone Mahoney.

Anyhow disregard any comments I’ve made about dairy farmers ducking and diving to prepare for market distortions…Charlie is riding to the rescue like Joe 90.

Robbed from Twitter.

I have a stitch in my side after spending the last twenty minutes laughing about what you wrote about the bold Justin. Just this week again they have a piece of propganda about convergence. It was the worst decision the board of the FJ made putting him as Editor. After all he was going running to ABP form his job in the FJ to become there PR guru before Matt the magnificent decided he need to retain him. Justin has repaid Matt by paying him each week for a bit of drivil, the same as goes on in RTE.

Justin was running away for more money, it means that he will leg it at some stage again for higher pay.

Slava Ukrainii

From Twitter you say, well that'll be disinformation then 😄 Does this mean lads selling fodder will need to provide recipts, crafty those Govt buggers.

This one won't cover the cost of a ski trip..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭green daries

That's the point 2/3 of Ireland is not suitable for corn growing for various reasons.your old enough to remember that it was tillage. beefs. sheep. nearly anything else. .....or go dairy farming pre quota times it was usually the marginal land that was under dairy.

Edit to say I have absolutely no idea How I have quoted all these posts 🤣🤣🙄🙄🙄 ould fellas and technology 😬

I wouldn’t be so pessimistic Alps. The fact that they’re going to step up to the plate is surely good enough for now. They’re hardly going to go the full Draghi now with ‘whatever it takes’!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Carefull what you wish for - it was those "mountains" that crashed margins across many farming sectors from the late 80's onwards. Also the cost of maintaining those "mountains" was massive and become unaffordable as the EU started expanding to the East. In any case the current issue is with grain supply to North Africa and the Levant rather than to the EU. Its the price rise for animal feed is where the pressure is coming from on the back of the latter and as I said before the quickest way of dealing with that is ending the biofuel scam that has millions of acres of the best tillage land in the EU locked up

Post edited by Birdnuts on

Let the biofuels stay in place. Feedlots that buy in 70-80%+ of there feed will suffer. The rest of us need to just adapt.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What's going to biofuel is not going to change anything in this crisis. End it, don't end it, no real difference.

Advertisement