Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Tend to agree, WI V Eng overwhelmingly likely to be draw, England will probably bat for an hour or two and then put Windies in and try bowl them out but on that pitch with England's bowling line up it's hard to see them forcing the win.

Sri Lanka have bowled quite well against India, but India have been able to score but no one has made a substantial big score yet.

Australia V Pakistan has been a bit like the EngWI match, slow and attritional. Khawaja has scored another century, he's had a great few months. Smith missed out on a century once more, for someone who have a brilliant 50 to 100 conversion rates, he's struggled to do that in recent times. Australia well on top though.

Post edited by MFPM on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Imagine. Boards.ie and someone having an 'opinion'

Given the way the game has panned out.. the game situation... pitch, teams I see only one result being possible...a draw...

Do bookmakers, winviz believe a win for either side is possible... not really..

Eng 11% Draw 87% WI 2%

England will have about 3.5 hours play on a road of a pitch in the West Indies to bowl them out.. it took 157.3 overs in the first innings... them doing it in 50 maybe less overs I don't believe it's possible .

You can argue the semantics of the English language but that's my opinion...if I'm right... fine.. proven wrong the same...

You reference someone's opinion as 'absolute rubbish' doesn't however leave much room for open or respectful debate so I'm going to leave it and you here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Nice innings all told by Dan Lawrence. Not secure in his spot in the team but he was willing to give his wicket away for the team and managed a decent 37. Root hit another century and he needed that after a fairly quiet Ashes from him.

Not sure what England need here as the West Indies in all honesty could slog and then put up shop if they got 5 down as you won't get wickets on this pitch conventionally.

Root goes, cracker of a delivery by Joseph.. a vicious in swinging fast yorker… Jesus some swing, set off well outside off stump and ended up clipping middle and leg , virtually unplayable.

may not be a bad thing for England…a valuable and excellently watchful 109, but used 204 deliveries to get there in an innings where time was of the essence.

Is a bad thing as Stokes goes trying to go big over long on but only finds the fielder.

Foakes goes second ball… England making a bit of a mess of this…but good bowling. 295/3 to 314/6 in no time.

Post edited by Strumms on

Good declaration this, it's gettable at just over 4 per over but in going for it do the WI run the risk of losing? It's not a great England attack so the WI may gamble but I think they'll play it safe...

• Advertisement

England more attacking, good to see, three close catchers for Leach.

i must say I like Curtly Ambrose’s commentary…

Crawley drops a medium difficulty chance off Leach. Not exactly the first drop of his career or this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,999 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Northamptonshire legend Curtly. I quite like a few of the West Indian commentators/former players.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

yep, him and Bishop are good.

Run rate of 1.9 after 11 overs.

but West Indies looking more in a hurry with some more purposeful and arial shots but hmmm.

England appeal for a stumping… decision of not out given, Brathwaites foot was behind the line but it didn’t look grounded… close but no interest in exhausting technology to prove either way… just ‘not out and get on with it’….

England making a good fist of this...WI will be livid if they lose this..

• Advertisement

Massive appeal for LBW, umpire says no… players around the bat including the bowler implore Root to review with 1000% enthusiasm … Root refuses even though he was not in the best position to decide… adamant… review shows it’s out, hitting leg stump three quarters ways up… Joe.. tut tut…you need wickets, those placed better were convinced..that has to be good enough to check… poor captaincy yet again. Got to listen to lead.

Gas, every member of the England team went up for lbw against Holder, not out, but despite their appealing they don't review! He was out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The DRS ball tracking for that shout looked wrong to me. Umpire's call at best I thought. Only having one review left does that. Haven't been watching all day so don't know how bad the other reviews were to lose them.

Campbell and Blackwood tried to make it semi exciting with those terrible shots. Needed more rubbish cricket like that on this pitch with no Mark Wood to avoid a draw.

I’d guess a handshake around the 66th or 67th over.

bowlers looked cream crackered

funny captaincy, 5 close catchers for Leach yet fûck all support for Stokes… amazing.

Root has more interest in getting the ball changed with a few overs to go then he does checking DRS for a wicket. Brain dead stuff.

Harmisson calling Roots captaincy as relates to his use of Stokes and not offer the handshake as ‘madness’ , as a bowler he is perplexed…he’s hammering Roots captaincy..correctly

6 wickets needed in 7 overs, give it up Joe.

root now arguing correctly with umpires, DRS shows a catch but the 3rd umpire reckons it’s bat hitting ground, it’s not..bat hits ground and ball hits bat. Clear deviation

6 wickets in 4 overs and still…and bowling Dan Lawrence hahaha

6 wickets in 3 overs and still…and bowling Jack Leach.

6 wickets in 2 overs and still… Jesus.

joe shakes hands needing 6 wickets with 5 deliveries remaining.

It looked like a draw from very early in the test match...the declaration was bold but partly the pitch and England's attack meant the WI would have to have a shocker to lose today. On to Barbados...

India firmly in control in Bengaluru, Sri Lanka batting was woeful - 109 all out.

Australia putting on a big score v Pakistan, Kwaja eventually out for 160, Carey has hit a half-century, he needed those runs.

Carey misses out on a century, Australia close on 505/8, looks like a good pitch for batting, will this be just another bat dominated test, interesting to see how Pakistan get on in their first innings.

India are in complete control against Sri Lanka...leading by 342 with 5 wickets remaining in their second innings and it's only day 2. Kohli is still struggling at this level, over 2 years since his last test century, yielding the captaincy hasn't resulted in more runs as of yet.

The wait for 71 has turned into a long one for Virat hasn't it. Lean time for Smith as well. Williamson is injured a lot nowadays. Root has been piling up hundreds, think it's 7 and 8 since Kohli and Smith respectively.

Big turnaround in two years. Root needed one in Australia, it's something people will always be able to say about him. Like they do about Ponting in India for example. Although Root has done a lot better in Australia than that.

why are Australians leaving it so late to declare 505/8 after two days play … they can’t lose, why the fûck was Cummins not wanting to have 10-12 overs at Pakistan last night.. inexperienced captaincy ? A strange one as you’d think as a bowler he’d see the importance and value of that..

you’d have to presume Australians will bat on, otherwise why not put a tired Pakistani side in for a few overs batting last night….makes no sense

• Advertisement

Bat once and hope the pitch comes to them I guess. Especially with a proper leg spinner in the team now. Its hard to see them getting into a position to make them follow on given how comfortable batting looks currently.

In the first test Pakistan scored 728 runs over two innings and lost a total of 4 wickets over both innings…252/0 in the second…

I like an optimistic outlook but Cummins has made an error here…

Is that not an argument then for batting on and taking time out the game. Its not a straightforward decision. If there's turn later it will be fine.

My position around declarations is give the people making the decision the benefit of the doubt that they might know a thing or two about the game. And not get too upset about it. So often I've seen contentious declarations turn out fine and you wonder what all the fuss was about.

40% of the game time expired… but going into day 3 and not a single innings completed…Australians have the runs, they hold the aces but Australians they are burning their chances.

odds are a draw 4/9 paddy power has it….

548/9…

Only tactical ambition here I can think of is Cummins trying to tire the Pakistani team out, all this time bowling and fielding in heat around or over 30 degrees… cannot be easy..

declaration at 556/9… Pakistan look relieved…

Some performance by Bumrah even allowing for the paucity of the opposition.

Australia in total control v Pakistan, they've a huge lead and highly unlikely Pakistan will get the runs but i assume Cummins caution is primarily around so much time left on the game.

Pakistan going alright this time round. Four sessions left, two down and 400 still needed. From the bit I've been watching spin looked a lot easier than pace to deal with.

Terribe decision for Azhar Ali. Can't be too upset at the umpire when he didn't take the option to review it himself.

Pakistan only need 3.4 an over,,, so they don’t need to go anything approaching aggressive… they don’t need boundaries..

the pitch in Karachi is batting friendly, always has been… day 5 spinners get some assistance.

Nathan Lyon however looks like his goose is cooked, he never was a prolific wicket taker, he averages only 3.9 wickets per test, a great economy rate, 2.96… He has taken 4 wickets in his last 6 innings in international and domestic cricket ….. might prove me wrong but looking like coming up to 35 his goose might be cooked.

Pakistan milk the quicks without risking it, three or four singles an over, and punish the odd bad delivery is all it will take… be interesting to see what field Cummins chooses, stuck between a rock and a hard place… should attack from the outset..too defensive is not the way..

Babar and Rizwan will run out of overs to win this. Thought they've been positive and tried to score, it hasn't been all out blocking. Scoring at the rate needed just wasn't possible I think. Make no mistake batting all day and saving this was the aim and they've been excellent.

• Advertisement

Australia need 3 wickets with 17 deliveries remaining in the test… everyone around the bat…. Hovering over the pitch.

kawaja drops rizwan, a pretty simple chance at this level, a tired looking effort.

Rizwan gets his hundred, chance to run him out previous delivery, sent upstairs with a soft signal of out, he safely home by about two feet ffs… soft signal out ? Where are they getting these umpires.

Advertisement