Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2022 - England v Ireland, 12/03/22, KO 4.45pm - RTÉ2, RTÉ Player, ITV1, ITV Hub

Options

Comments

You can not play a structured game if your scrum is being pinged every time, for an illegal opposition move.

I'm amazed we were able to hold them off when we had no attacking platform all day and they milked penalties from their own scrum.

How do people not realise just how hard the game becomes if the ref does that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Where did I suggest we didn't deserve to win the game? I didn't. That's your strawman.

We played dreadfully at times against 14 men, scored 4 quality tries (2 of which came when as Eddie said they were out on their feet due to a numerical disadvantage) and we won fair and square. If you are happy with that performance that's up to you. I am not. I celebrate the result but I am pretty disappointed in how we performed for much of that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Andrew Conway did so well with 4 English lads facing him to be able to retain ball for Murray to get pass away to Conan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think another ref would be looking at Genge boring in which resulted in the scrum wheeling around repeatedly. Also worth bearing in mind that we were missing key players in the front row.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Advertisement

He had a brilliant game. Two world class kicks, some important fields and carried well throughout. Got into plenty of rucks too, defensively and offensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Getting a mortgage on Monday. When the bank manager asks for surety it’ll be “Keenan under the high ball”.

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The comment was made at half time.

Henderson got worse in the second half, possibly his worst ever showing, yet he was still better than POM.

Beirne also did pretty much nothing all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That is one of the most stressful games I've ever watched. Felt like we got totally dominated for most of it despite winning 4 tries to nil and by more than double scores.

Clear as day we need some changes for next week, POM was a non-entity and Healy just can't play at this level now. Losing 2 of our starting front row has been an even bigger blow than anticipated really. Beirne will get back in because Ryan will be out but he's fortunate as well, our best back 5 is the one that played NZ which is Ryan/Hendo/Doris/VdF/Conan. Henshaw also had a huge impact so I'd expect him to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Itoje was the best player on the pitch imho. With Ryan gone the Irish locks looked second rate.

tiredness crept in and England wilted. Irish bench was very good and made a difference.

France will only lose to England in Paris if they choke. I personally think it’s good for the 6N to have France win a tournament for a change.

POM was pretty much anonymous but I can’t think of anything he did wrong.

If "damning with faint praise" was in the dictionary I think this would be the definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We didn't see him attacking their lineout or competing for poaches (that I can remember), so what's the point of him?

Easy to avoid doing anything wrong if you don’t do anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well that last quarter of play of the match was absolutely remarkable. I am absolutely relieved that Ireland have got a BP win while playing against England at Twickenham.

But it had to be said, my god, that game was a hard hard slog for the regular rugby fan to watch at home. It was intense, it was fraught with so many unforgivable mistakes from start to finish.

And the state of the horrible gameplay from Ireland's numerous errors had the potential to allow the match to go England's way. It was clear to see that as the match wore on England were given all of the crucial advantages from the referee with possibly some big indications that they were able to go on & win it.

Although England did not have the clear head at all times with trying to keep composure in the whole match. Having them kicking penalties all throughout the length is not really a good trend to see in them. If they play other teams in the Championship; they do not sit idly by with winning the match by just scoring penalties. They go out & score tries whenever they nab the chance to get a few of them to get on the scoreboard.

That is what makes England so powerful when you go up against them in the 6 Nations. They produce the power & score loads of tries. But in this game against Ireland today; they produce the power on the pitch but only score penalties? That is not a normal trend from the likes of England at all. They certainly cannot risk doing that when they go up against France for the final round of the championship next weekend. England are going up against a team who are eyeing up a GS. France are going to have their eyes set on demolishing England from all angles if their French team watched the against Ireland at Twickenham today.

France would see England as being a much weaker team now who are not ready to take other teams on when a GS is there for France for the taking.

I would have thought it would be a clear & easy thing to say that England were going to score more tries to keep Ireland at bay today while they playing in this whole match. But England seemingly didn't cop that notion on in their head while they were playing against our lads in green. Ireland seemed to have a much smarter game plan in the final quarter with bringing on Conan, Murray & Henshaw etc to eventually see out the final result.

It was a real strange one tbh with it fraught with so much tension and lack of direction from Ireland's point of view. But I'm glad that Ireland finally won out the game to see England behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I was scaring my cats, and I didn't want to see them terrified, so I just left, in the rain and the dark and left the phone behind.

I know Ireland are a good side, one of the best in the world, but Heaslip suggesting if England had beaten Ireland at twickenham, it would be a scalp, is ridiculous in the extreme!

We’re often told (England) no one likes us because of our arrogance…..!

To come away from Twickenham with a bonus point after having pretty much no set piece is fairly amazing. England never looked like scoring a try today. They capitalized off our errors and some very generous refereeing at scrum time.

We were very headless at times today and forced things when we shouldn’t have. A lot to learn. But getting that kind of result shows how far our attacking game has progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Doesn't offer a carrying threat

Did nothing in the lineout, why was Henderson jumping at 2?

• Advertisement

He had one kick straight to touch but was absolutely flawless otherwise. The entire back 3 were brilliant. No question they are the best trio we have imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

A word for our defense. We gave them nothing, they didn't look like scoring a try the whole match through open play. Smith was a non-factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We genuinely missed Ryan. He's not as big as Henderson but I think he's every bit as physical and also tidier at the lineout, which definitely struggled in his absence.

Beirne at lock just doesn't do it for me. I've seen it in games against Leinster especially where he just just doesn't have the mass to impose himself in tighter areas. He's a backrow forward for me. Excellent at running those shirt lines and busting a tackle. But don't ask him to get into an arm wrestle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

no this is exactly what he said….

“Yeah….like…yea you know…at the end of the day you are playing England in Twickenham..right, that’s going to be difficult”

what the actual F?

”going down to 14 men yea and Ireland in the past have probably been more ruthless in the past” ….

that’s when I posted my comment. Embarrassing

he went on to say

“the fact that they (Ireland he’s talking about here!!!) stayed in fight that long”

“shows to me a real good mindset”

“They trusted the team and trusted the mindset”

that we went to say

works ons

bonus point win

itll stand to them

It seemed like an even more strange selection decision. In light of the fact we clearly decided not to target their breakdown.

I assume Henderson was calling the Irish line out when he came on.

Henderson's stats: 2nd most carries in the pack (only VDF with more), 3rd most metres (Doris and VDF more), a lineout steal in there as well.

2 penalties conceded, which is the worst on the team if you exclude Furlong for his scrum penalties (he had 4), equal with Sexton and Lowe who also conceded 2 each.

2 handling errors. Worst on the team, but again level with VDF.

Compared with Cian Healy, who carried for a grand total of 2 metres today. Who also missed 3 tackles, the worst on the team. There are no other stats worth talking about on Healy as he did nothing else.

All the talk is about Henderson. He was far from the worst out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think France will crush England, they'll be much quicker then Wales and Ireland to spot where England is abusing the rules to grab penalties and lock it down. It took us 60 minutes to realize that we needed to avoid scrums because England were scooping up all their penalties from there. The key detail of the last 10 minutes was there were no more scrums at all and we pulled out 2 tries. I also think the penalty we gave away at the lineout with the players locking was intentional, Prior to that it was flagged to the ref that england were constantly doing it all the first half but never blown up for it and England were very much enjoying have slow line out ball that they dragged into an eventual scrum. After Ireland got caught doing the same thing England also stopped and suddenly all of england's lineouts were quick ball which were less reliable for them and gave us more opportunities.

France will not let that run on for near as long and once you remove those scenarios, England are individually great players but not a great team and holes start appearing.

On this match, yes Ireland had a fair bit of handling errors and yes playing against 14 men should have arguably been a cake walk. But I think the disallowed 2nd try sums up what it was like playing this england team, they took every opportunity to throw a spanner. Individually england has great players but are actually not very impressive as a team. While I think Ireland has good players, some over rated players but we are a better team, I think Lowe was fantastic all match but I think he was fantastic playing in his position and off the results of irish tactics, he was rarely out of position or showing up in unexpected positions. In contrast I think Maro Itoje is also a fantastic player, but he's fantastic because he individually is a huge pain in the arse to play against because he can potentially show up anywhere and deliver that key tackle or pick up a pass and run with it, even if some people feel he leans heavily into Jones's fishing for penalty tactics a bit too much you still cannot deny he is a great player. But I rarely seen an english setpiece that creates opportunities for Itoje. thats the difference between the two teams and one man down England players individually played harder and Jones's penalty seeking tactics kicked into overdrive. But I do feel we were the better team on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

We will not go far in the World Cup. Still lacking power in the second row.

I think Killer and Herring brought added value to the packs. Our back three was first class. I will hold off on criticism of players until I watch it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It will certainly be a very strange day to analyse.

Scrums a disaster, a **** tonne of infringements all over the park and yet a win by double scores and by 4 tries to zip.

Has a scoreboard ever betrayed the on field visual so much before?

There's got to be some consequences for what happened. Surely Henderson must bomb out of the 23 in favour of Baird, though I acknowledge that will be difficult if Ryan is ruled out for that head knock.

Conan and Henshaw surely deserve to open against Scotland? Kilcoyne ahead of Healy also perhaps? The experience of Herring to start? We absolutely must see more of Carbery too?

Advertisement