Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Base PS4 is apparently ‘fine’, albeit at 30 FPS and bad frame pacing (par for the course for From and PS4). If you don’t have another option and don’t think you will for a while, it’ll apparently do the job. Base Xbox One is the one to avoid apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

Has anyone had a situation where they’ve gotten multiples of the expected runes from an enemy?

This morning I took out an enemy that usually gives around 3k but got about 16k from it - not complaining at all just wondering if anyone knows why it happens!

Took out the Valiant Gargoyle. Summoned for it in the end, very manageable fight up to a point but got sick of being blindly cheesed from behind after the 6th attempt. First time my Mimic tear really let me down, wasn't connecting or doing any damage at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Was the sky raining golden leaves? It's a random buff that can happen that ups rune acquisition. Similar to the golden foul foot item.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ugh, I've got two weeks holidays at the start of May.

I could wait and get a PS5 then (hopefully) but I need to play this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kotaku linked to a Twitter thread of people giving out about missing the tutorial section and it's hilarious. One guy said he found a ghost telling him to jump down but then another ghost appeared and he ran after him, didn't know where he went but 20 minutes later he was killed by a giant crab 'what a stupid game' :D

Up on a ruin and am about to hop off and charge into battle against a Crucible Knight when I stop to read a message that simply said "sniping spot"

Yeah what was I thinking riding towards that asshole. Torrent doesn't like getting her hoofs wet (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it) 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I read somewhere that some regular enemys can randomly get glowing eyes, and those will give you a lot more runes when killed, so might have been that?

Oh my god a fully upgraded Mimic Tear is something to behold. I just let mine knock the snot out of a Crucible Knight while I sat on Torrent watching 🤩

Should have done that to the earlier one, I'd have saved arrows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

for such a challenging game i find it an incredible ' chill ' game .fair relaxing exploring and dying ( well to a degree 😅)

• Advertisement

Explored the lakes (thankfully poison doesn't affect you on torrent), killed a fire monk and got his armour which is class. Found a burnt out village which is like something out of a horror game and damn, i do not like fighting enemies using magic. The Omenkiller came out of nowhere and hits like a truck. Only had a couple of goes off him but had me down to a cm of health left so I'll get him soon. Bloody Slash is such a great skill with the uchi.

Jaw on the floor stuff having finally forced myself to press on into the capital. A bit overwhelming to say the least in terms of directions to go and corners for loot to hide in.

Love how bloodied you get the longer you go without resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah enemies with gold glowing eyes give 4 times as many runes as normal. And it's also true that sometimes there's a light gold rain and it increases the runes you get (there'll be a gold hue coming from your character when it's active).

Picked up the very cool jellyfish greatshield but it's skill has overridden my bloody Slash, can't seem to even change it at a site of grace. Any idea how to get around that?

Ignored advice on here and continued North west above the raya academy. Went into a castle place that was choc full of wtf, got outta there quick as i could. Gonna try the academy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm enjoying this, it's Skyrim but with Dark Souls enemies and combat. I've beaten the Valiant Gargoyle and one other boss in 2 hours of playtime. I've played a lot of Dark Souls 3 and the combat is basically the same, bigger enemies vulnerable to parries etc. Looks great and I haven't noticed any bugs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I just hit level 36 so I think I might be a bit over leveled to head to Stormveil Castle now. I've basically spent 25 hours riding around Limgrave, Weeping Peninsula and the forest area to the east of Limgrave (f**k those massive bears).

Raya Academy was actually handy enough compared to my first attempt. Some great loot in there is you're a magic build.

As for the boss, 1st phase is dead handy, 2nd phase destroyed me in my 2 attempts. Route to her is weird. Either a long staircase with no enemies or the unlocked 'shortcut' running past multiple magic throwing enemies which takes about the same time as the normal route.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Did you have the No Skill ash of war applied to your previous shield? Might just need to put it on the current jellyfish shield to get the weapon skill back on L2. If I understood you correctly that is.

I went to a site, opened ash of war to see if i could unequip the ash but the shield wasn't even selectable but now I'm thinking is that because i unequipped it before hand. Will try again today as it meant i had to stop using it as Bloody Slash is dragging me through tough enemies and bosses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had an absolutely rotten time in siofra river. I've not levelled up once in hours but have managed to lose a levels up worth of runes three times last night.

• Advertisement

There's a guy who sells Ashes of War (think he's in the Warmaster's Shack in Limgrave, though he's since moved elsewhere for me). If you buy the No Skill AoW from him you can apply it to your shield at the smith back at the Roundtable (or maybe from site of grace too). It means then you can use your weapon skill while still holding the shield. Might be worth duplicating the skill too in case you need if for another shield later in the game.

Post edited by Penn on

Aw perfect thanks, i thought the 'no skill' was just an option you could choose anyway, good to know! I don't even know what the jellyfish rage skill does but you should be able to choose which ash you want if you have multiple ashes from equipped items.

I bought the glintstone pebble to see that so the fuss was about. Oh, i need 10 int, ok, sacrificed a level for it, oh I need a staff? Ok, Google where i can find/buy a staff. Found merchant selling a basic one, oh i need 15 int to wield it, ah feck this. Looking forward to respeccing, gonna go full str/vig with though endurance. Just not sure if it will be wasted on my uchi. I'm not a fan of the slow big/great swords.

It's a unique item, those can't have their weapon skill / ash of war removed or changed.

Yeah good point. That could be the issue alright.

I did the No Skill thing on a shield to remove Parry from it, but it was just a normal shield.

Yeah, seems to be unique, should still be able to select what skill you want active though. Anyway, the jellyfish rage gives you a physical attack and defense buff, might be worth giving it a go, see if it damages as much as bloody Slash.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

Which of the summons is best to upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

In Dark Souls 3 if you saw a foggy gate you knew it was a main boss. Is that not the case in this game? I've killed two tougher enemies that were behind fog gates but it turns out neither of them was Margit which is apparently the first major boss you come across.

Gold fog gates are always bosses (main and minor). White/Grey fog gates are usually only openable by using a Stonesword Key, and aren't always bosses. Usually tougher enemies protecting a decent treasure/reward, or maybe a shortcut to a different area.

• Advertisement

Depends what stage of the game you're at. Mimic Tear seems to be one of the best in the game, but you get it mid-to-late game. If you're still early in the game, I'd recommend either the Lone Wolves (three wolves who are great at taking enemy's attention away from you for a while), or the Jellyfish (fairly tanky jellyfish who can spew poison at enemies).

Advertisement