Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

At least the ships are distinct now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Gotta say I like the new intro!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

I haven't been down to that metro station yet, but the painful Trek-pun advert had started appearing on busses, so I took this on the way into work:

It's just...I know they're jokes...and they are supposed to be funny but...no.

It's kind of like when you watch the filler-acts on Live at the Apollo. They are technically comedians, and they are telling jokes, but...no.

It's not bad, and has some good stuff going on. However, I find myself preferring the sweeping nature of the Season 1 theme. That said, just like the Season 1 intro I find myself not wanting to skip over this, unlike the Discovery intro which I started avoiding after Episode 2.....Season 1.

The silhouettes aren't even Star Trek themed just generic stock images

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oh no way. I much prefer this season 2s theme over season 1s theme.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

And not even all in the same style of silhouette as you would normally see on transport signage (which is the thing I think they are trying to emulate). Smacks of a rush-job at Prime-Video's marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭flazio

During their review of episode 1 of season 2 Trek Culture's Seán Ferrick mentioned an audio tie in that was released earlier this year. Now normally I don't bother with Star Trek audios as they just tend to be Robert Pekoff reading a tie in novel but this latest one "No Man's Land" piqued my interest as it was Co written by one of the show runners Kirsten Beyer and instead of it being one reader reading prose it was actually a full cast audio drama. Anyone familiar with Doctor Who might have heard of the audio company Big Finish who make new audio stories with the older Doctors without having to worry about the actors looking much older.

So I decided to give it a punt and.....It's not great, I'll be honest.

OK first off Patrick Stewart is not in this one. Michelle Hurd and Jeri Ryan are the only actors from the show in this. It's set after the season 1 final episode but before the events of season 2. Bit of an adventure and a bit of exploration as to where the Rafi/Seven relationship is going, nothing vital for season 2, just a couple of nods. The adventure didn't really capture me to be honest. 3/5

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Thanks.

Strange New Worlds and Yellowstone (I’ve only seen a few minutes - Costner has a confrontation with trespassing bikers) are the reasons I will sign up to Paramount+.

I have a lot of shows to watch at the moment and if Picard was was going to be on Paramount+ anyway I would wait to watch it - drop Prime for a while, sign up to Paramount+ at launch and lather ate every few months.

But if Picard will only be on Prime I might as well watch it there.

<deleted debunked rumour>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

3d printed Picard is a show made by damaged nihilistic people who must hate the franchise. Does nobody remember Agnes murdered Maddox. I dont believe that anybody actually likes this show. It's objectively crap

I didn't like the first season at all but the first episode of the second season is a huge improvement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Season 3 wrapped BTW; so presumably, all going well the final(?) season will air around the same time 2023.

Ms

It's a hell of a lot better than that Discovery rubbish. Now that is crap. Season 2 of Picard has been a big improvement on season 1 and while there were parts of season 1 I liked there was lots I did not like.

There is only going to be 1 more season of Picard after this anyway so I am going to watch it all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,600 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's just the usual old gaslighting bllsht from grumpy old fans informing us that we don't like the show despite what our brains say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean, it has its flaws, big ones at that (JFC that finale in season 1) but does people a disservice to denigrate their opinions that - oh - they don't really like the show. Objectivity isn't a concept with art or media. It's possible to have conflicting opinions, or feel the good outweighs the bad - which would be where I sit along the fence.

There absolutely can be objective criteria for art and media. There's no objective standard for liking something but there are for the mechanical aspects. Asspulls, for example, are objectively bad from a writing point of view.

A look through Brutestocks posting history shows them to be a far right troll and is better off getting ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yup I'd be in this category as well. Season 2 actually feels like Trek and is pretty much a soft reboot from what I've seen so far.

I just wish American dramas weren't so tied into contracts or, whatever it is that forces characters, whose stories are done, to return ad nauseum.

Jurati's tale was told, completed and hers was the weakest reset of the core cast; oh, alien induced madness, please. To be fair, probably a common event in Starfleet that it would be a legal exemption... but we didn't need her back. And while I like Allison Pill, her performance is all over the place.

• Advertisement

What makes you think they were forced by contract or whatever to bring her back.

Personally I'm delighted she is back. If there is anyone I was hoping we would lose it was Elnor. Raffi I could probably take or leave too but Jurati and Rios are the best of the new crew.

Just the precedent of other shows; it's incredibly rare main cast ever leave a show - and if they do it's cos the actor themselves is leaving, or it's to kill them off for dramatic purposes ... or both.

Jurati just feels like a character who had a very specific purpose in season 1 and that purpose seems done now. We'll see but so far I'm left feeling a little disinterested she's back.

Grand you don't like her that's fair enough. You seem to think everyone agrees with you and that the show is stuck with her. Nothing to indicate that's the case.

I don't think everyone agrees with me? Not sure where that hostility came from. I do understand how opinions work, and that mine is not an absolute. So back off a smidge.

What raises my eyebrow a little is the fact that Alison Pill is *second billing* behind Patrick Steward. What is going on there, where the 2nd spot in the credits goes to the comic relief scientist character who doesn’t appear on promotional materials. Either she has an excellent agent, or something is planned for her. The whole thing with the Borg Queen might be interesting.

I really don’t like her character. Even in season 1 I was barely able to tolerate her and now in season 2 they seem to need to crowbar her into a plot a little. It makes some sense to have her there for Borg stuff, but they could have cast someone else. The one who played Shelby for example? My main issue with her is that she feels like the most «Discovery-ish» element of the show. An intentionally awkward copy/paste of something you’re more likely to find in the hospital of Grey’s Anatomy than on a Trek set. Extract her and then you’ve got a much more solid cast.

I am frustrated that they also wedged in a relationship between her and Rios. It was enough with Seven & Raffi, we don’t need the whole show filled with Ex’s fighting with eachother.

Sorry it's just you get a lot of this with Star Trek these days. People claiming that Discovery is contractually obliged to show Burnham all the time or that poster a few days ago telling us how much we hate modern Trek.

The whole contractual obligations thing gave me that impression.

I don't see how they'll work Soji into the rest of this season outside of a coda so the contract thing doesn't seem to hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Last season is a distant memory I'm not sure I want to recall too much but I'm actually enjoying Jurati so far this season. She is a bit scattered and out of place and even a bit unlikable and annoying, but all that seems like the character rather than just an out of place performance. It's some comic relief but not annoying so far, imo. Or like, yes she's annoying but only in the amusing way she's supposed to be.

Other characters on the show seem to find her a bit annoying too, if you look at how Picard reacts to her or reacts to hearing she's onboard, it seemed a bit "ugh :-/" compared to the love and warmth toward the others.

Unlike the simpleton murder child Elnor who gets to slice off heads and more without any self reflection, and still gets treated like a little lost puppy. Definitely the weakest character for me at the moment.

Tell you what though. It's pretty nice to be taking about actual characters who's names and personalities I actually remember :)

Ya Elnor has less personality than all the androids on the show but still more than the Disco crew who are just there to spew dialogue

• Advertisement
    Ms

Yes I just think Elnor is not a great character and it's a crap name for a Romulan too.

I am not keen on Jureti either. I would not miss either of them charathers if they got shoved out an airlock.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement