Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2022 - England v Ireland, 12/03/22, KO 4.45pm - RTÉ2, RTÉ Player, ITV1, ITV Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

When did wheeling a scrum stop being an offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

Has Kilcoyne trimmed down a lot recently? He looks particularly small these days for a prop.

Did his usual job of collapsing the scrum. I feel LH more than any position is very bare at the moment for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Whatever happened to the excellence that used to be Jack McGrath?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

A bizarre game. Lots of talk about how the scoreboard didn't reflect the game, which I think is waffle. England dominated us at the set piece but scored no tries and never really looked like doing so. How many line breaks did they have? They disrupted our game big time, and stopped us playing for large parts of the it, but ultimately didn't do much with the ball they had, where as we did. Lots of ifs and buts I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I honestly dont know how to quote a specific section, I just wanted to address this bit:

"That is what makes England so powerful when you go up against them in the 6 Nations. They produce the power & score loads of tries."

that's not been England at all this six nations, they have the 3rd lowest number of tries in the tournament, with only Italy and Wales behind them and lets be honest, Wales is behind them only because they are the only team not to play against Italy yet.

They are though the team with the most penalty goals of the tournament (15 with France being the only other nation in double digits with 10), this feels a little like the England of 2003 (who relied heavily on kicking but went on to win the world cup) right down to them having a star player the media is all fawning over. Its a bit different because the nature of the game has changed, but I don't think its for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Heaslip, and most of the Irish punditry are an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

No it’s not just of Henderson

beleive me I was going mad at Healy!!

are you really trying to defend Henderson by using poor old Healy as a measuring stick?

come on now. We expect impressive and dominant performances from Hendo. Ireland needed him today and he did not deliver on his basics.

now the stats you quoted: that’s his job! To be the third most m, 2nd most carries in pack. that’s a minimum.

Ireland don’t ask Beirne to do that or POM

certainly not Healy

what was killer was his basic errors,

in his defence he wasn’t match sharp.

We need Henderson but what to do about Healy? and POM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I though Kilcoyne did well. It was the fella on before him who did not have a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A lot of his generation of Irish rugby players are horrendous bores

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’m not defending Henderson. He was crap. I am however taking issue with how much heat is directed at him when there were others who were either just as bad or worse than he was.

Furlong probably had his worst ever game today. Obliterated in the scrum and no carries worth talking about. Not a mention of it here of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Seriously it's a game thread and Ireland scored a bonus point try in the last 3mins when they looked like they could have even lost the match......

I had to watch the second half on +1, as had a communion mass, and even though frustrated throughout the game, still punch the air with they last try, here at home......

This post, when I finally caught up on the tread, perfectly summed up that emotion and was a perfect post...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Henderson gave away a few silly penalties today and probably should have had a yellow for the one before halftime but credit to him as he also put in a huge shift and was in the middle of a lot of it. Don’t think he’s quite match fit yet because if he was he would have started today. As it was, he had to play 80 when we were probably hoping for 35 out of him.

He’s held to a higher standard than both Healy and POM as we know both of those are on the way down and should be bench options at most at this stage of their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

People spamming threads that takes an age to scroll through ruins boards.

Irish team performance on par with Russian army

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

1 of Sextons penalties was absolutely brain dead. Don’t know what the second one against him was don’t remember it. I remember one against Lowe which was a turnover penalty when the support failed to protect him. Henderson’s penalties, jumping across in the lineout, stupid penalty to give away. Totally on him and totally unnecessary. Then playing the ball on the ground right in front of the posts and the ref. That’s one of those instances when stats can show what you want. They don’t reflect the full story at all though.

A good snapshot of how Genge was scrummaging all day and why the scrum kept wheeling around. Raynal didn’t pick up on it at all. Kudos to England for taking advantage as it kept them in the game but concerning we couldn’t make him aware or find a way to counter it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lowe's metres carried stat is monstrous. He made more than twice as many as our second highest carrier. Had a very big game this evening.

He’s genuinely up there with one of the worst pundits I have ever heard, we have plenty in England too but he is different level of awful!

oh. ok. That puts a different slant on your post.

imo Furlong was unable to lock the scrum out because of what was happening to Healy and the pressure (legal or otherwise) from Genge.

it will be very interesting to see the technique of the second rows behind. Because it was also off kilter v France. Bad angles.

I think it’s fair to give Furlong a pass. We know he can be dominant in scrum and around park.

he had 2 important and dominant carries that I am recall and a few nice switch passes. One did go to deck.

Strange that Sheehan came off early because he was having a good game. Maybe they spotted something in the scrum with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Great game

Ireland should have fought fire with fire on the scrum, if Genge was illegal then Furlong fight back

The problem for ireland is now England are exhausted and France have 24 hours on them. I can’t see them winning in France

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You have literally no idea what you are talking about.

Firstly you're blaming Furlong not being able to 'lock the scrum out' because of Healy who was more than holding his own.

And then you give Genge the benefit of the doubt.

And then you talk about giving Furlong a pass.

You are all over the place.

Look at the image posted above. That's what was going wrong with the scrum. Not whatever weird vendetta you have against Healy.

Have you heard Gordon D’Arcy?

Thats a special place of cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

We conceded 6 scrum penalties with an 80kg winger on the flank. Given we held our own against the French scrum (arguably the best in the world atm), what does this mean?

Porter (and Kelleher) indispensable?

Healy no longer up to it at this level?

Furlong just had a bad day?

Genge boring in and wheeling all day given as penalties?

My gut says the latter and Raynal interpretation.

We tried to win the game in the first 20 mins when they lost a man. We forced so many passes in the red zone that weren't on when composure was needed.

Really disappointing display from O'Mahony. Healy, Henderson & Beirne poor too.

Keenan, Lowe & Conway phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

His catching and kicking were excellent and that second 50:22 swung the game in our favour. The missed tackle on Nowell at 21.55 wasn’t a great attempt. Anyway, we’ve got good problems on the wings at the moment with excellent players vying for a place.

Post edited by Ardillaun on

Another image from Twitter of Genge driving across

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

Srcum is crucial against , Eng, France and South Africa away, we need to cultivate a big lump of a tight head lock for these matches, by far the better team , nearly undone by one facet of game, and its many a match to these 3 teams that we have lost primarily because rhey get a squeeze on in d scrum, thought we wud lose some was relieved but disapoointed our achilles heel was exposed so vividly.

Advertisement