Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

Greece is quite decent. Could do well for them.

Austria seems to have been well-received but I don't like it at all. Sounds really dated to me, and very repetitive. Plus it's one that's gonna be tricky to stage and the live vocal could be a disaster.

I'm not sure what to make of the UK yet. He seems to be a great singer, and in that sense it is a step up for them, but the song doesn't do much for me. Again, "dated" is the word to come to mind. But at least it won't be another double zero for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I wouldn't rule out Italy winning at all, their song is one of the standouts in a fairly weak year and they've got an excellent pair of singers.

There's zero chance it'll get cancelled imo, unless an actual WW3 breaks out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i'd say there's a high chance it could be cancelled, genocide on a daily basis in one part Europe and in another part they're having a big televised party - be very insensitive don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Greece is my bet at the prices. Ukraine are getting large chunk of popular vote no matter what happens so to beat them you'll need a great jury result.

Ireland are too late with this song as usual after Netta and then Malta last year. We did something similar with a club song way after Euphoria had won.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

No. They didn't cancel it in the '70s at the height of the Troubles in the North when there was a huge death toll and bombs were going off here and in Britain as well, or during the war in the former Yugoslavia in the '90s when genocide on a massive scale was happening. Unless it breaks out into a wider European war I'd say Eurovision is safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

That was public information film from Ministry of Health, Serbia, for make education. Now, dear viewer, stay with us for part 42 of very fascinating series on history of famous Javnoc polymer synthetic factory in Bakovic region. Please to enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If that was the case they'd be cancelling everything from the Oscars to the Champions League. I just can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Are we moist for Melodifestivalen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

And now to finally add my thoughts on the weeks selections:

Switzerland: I think this is actually quite decent, and will do better than the somewhat muted reaction suggests it will. Should qualify easily enough, but certanly won't be reaching the heights of Luca Hanni or Gjon's Tears.

Belgium: This is good but not great I think, maybe a top ten contender. I agree with some of the Labrinth comparisons, this could've easily slotted into the soundtrack of Euphoria. Qualification from the more competitive second semi-final should be relatively straightforward.

Georgia: Not really sure what to make of this? Especially since we've no live performance or even a video to go on. Overall I think this is gonna be too polarising to garner any kind of solid support and will probably be staying in the SF's.

Cyprus: Well at least they've seemingly moved on from trying to recreate Fuego again. Unfortunately Ela is a standard fare ethno-pop song that is, bar Fuego-esque staging, far too lightweight to challenge at the top. Could qualify, but I can't see it finishing much higher than about 20th

UK: I like it! I think this is the strongest song the UK have sent for years, although that is admittedly a pretty poor measuring stick. It's definitely overrated in the bookmaker odds, but if he sings the hell out of it coupled with great staging he can possibly finish in the 8-10th range.

Greece: Not sure that a song called Die Together is what anyone needs in a still-ongoing pandemic and with war having broken out in Europe 😬Overall though I think this is decent and will sail through from the much weaker first semi final. Surprised this is currently the 5th favourite to win though, I think 6th-10th is its peak range.

Austria: The exact kind of throwaway EDM that you'd have found on one of those Clubland compilations, staging will make or break this. A possible qualifier, but not much else to say about it right now.

Hoping they make the right decision and send Cornelia! I actually think Hold Me Closer will likely win the whole thing if it's sent, nothing else has emerged in the last few weeks, and a possible sympathy vote for Stefania will only take it so far.

The general consensus seems to be that the Swedish televote will vote for Anders, which I don't understand, but I imagine the juries will do their jobs and get Cornelia through thankfully. There's also an Irish international jury tonight, I wonder who our spokesperson will be.

• Advertisement

Cornelia is getting all the attention in the forums and on Facebook from the Eurofans. I have not listened to the songs deliberately so I can give myseolf some fresh perspective. I think it will be Michael Kealy. Have they got Wiwiblogs squealing out the votes for a UK jury tonight? Cornelia does appear to be the fav

Sweden

Phew! The juries did their jobs. We might be heading to Sweden in 2023.

Iceland and Portugal to come later!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Hope so. For me, it is by far the best song of all the selections to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It doesn't scream winner to me...maybe need to listen to it a few times.

That is definitely Sweden's strongest entry since 'Heroes', imo. I just love her voice. There's a strong chance this will be the year thar Sweden finally equals Ireland's record of 7 wins, which may be the kick up the arse RTÉ needs to take Ireland's selection up a level (one can dream!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I assume Ukraine will sweep the boards this year. They have always done fairly well in it

No way Ukraine will be sweeping the jury vote anyway. If anything I reckon they'll be marked down to try offset some of the potential sympathy vote they may get from the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,930 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Eurovision was conceived as a cold war tool so I doubt it will be cancelled. More likely Ukraine win than a cancellation.

Here's the Icelandic song:

I think this is very nice. It's great to have some indie-folk and the lovely Icelandic language, but it's hard to tell how it will do at Eurovision. It could stand out strongly as something different (like the Common Linnets) or it might just get lost in the shuffle (à la Latvia 2019). Am hoping it does well though.

Portugal:

Probably not gonna win....but I love this. A beautiful, dreamy, hypnotic feel. This is exactly the kind of music I love.

All three songs chosen tonight have gone straight into my top ten. This Eurovision was looking like a weak year but the later reveals have really brought it to life imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i'm in love 😘

I cant get into the Icelandic song no matter how much I try

The rubbish so far

Bulgaria (especially) , Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Moldova,Switzerland, Croatia, Denmark, Greece, Norway, Georiga, Malta, Serbia (especially), Finland, Armenia, Austria

The Im not so sure about

UK, Sweden Iceland, Portugal, Ukraine,Australia,

What Im loving so far

Spain, Italy (despite my misgivings),Netherlands, Albania, Slovenia, Israel, Montenegro ,Romania, Belgium ,Czech Rep and my definite favourites Cyprus, Poland and my number 1 is France

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

I was quietly confident after the Late Late Euro Song that we could break our 2 contest streak of coming last in the Semi Finals and actually make it the final. After hearing some of the songs, my god it makes our song look incredibly amateurish. I can see why we are currently 2nd last in the odds. If Sweden don't win this year they will certainly win soon and then we can't trot out the old we are the greatest as we won the most contests. I doubt that will spur us to try harder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Russia's entry was very catchy. Unlucky for the boys..

Yes. Remember the Bosnians making it out of their war torn country to Millstreet in 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Unless there is a major escalation into World War 3, I think the Eurovision will continue as planned. Eurovision has only ever been cancelled once. Wasn't cancelled while the Bosnian war was going on.

Because in a sense it's letting Putin win if cancelling a major European event that celebrates diversity etc. Everything he doesn't stand for.

Malta have changed their entry, because apparently you can just do that if you feel like it.

Meh. It's catchier than the first one in fairness, but the lyrics could have been written by a 10-year old.

Also Israel released a revamp of their song that, somehow, made it even worse than it already was so I'm not gonna bother posting it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Is there any hope that Ireland’s entry could be disqualified? I absolutely hate it.

• Advertisement

Jeez lads, no posts in almost a week!

Iceland: It's... alright? Just plods along aimlessly I think. Quite the comedown after two years of Dadi Freyr. Could qualify from the weak first semi final though.

Portugal: Much the same as Iceland to be honest, there's little for me to get excited about here. I wouldn't rule out qualification.

New Maltese song: I actually kinda like this! Head and tails above they originally sent, although not that that would've been hard. Gives me some Dotter 'Little Tot' vibes, which makes some sense I guess as Dotter provides backing vocals on the song.

Also, since Homer J Fong didn't want to post the Israel revamp I thought I'd do the honours 😛

The only difference I can hear is they've tried to lessen the very obvious similarity to Katy Perry's 'Swish Swish'. It's still utter shite though.

Advertisement