Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Was on The Journal.ie for the first time in weeks just now. Looked at the article relating to "da dreaded covid numbers", and it's actually hilarious reading the comments from the same bunch of finger waggers and perpetual hand wringers who, I bet, have been commenting on every single article since Day 1. It's actually a sad indictment on my part that I recognise some of the usernames, but even sadder that they are still obsessing over this thing as if it's 2019. Meanwhile, back in the real world, pubs are packed, stadia are full, music events are driving forward, and NPHET are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Don’t forget Pat Kenny’s new toy that he’s latching on to. ‘Deltacron’. Pat is awful worried that it could be as transmissable as Omicron and as sickening as Delta.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The real world where the EU decides to maintain the circus for another 15 months at least

• Registered Users Posts: 38,344 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

One thing I learnt from all this is that some users here won't give in and will still pick on people

In very happy all this is over and we can live again. Few stuff personally going on and the last thing I need is the bullying here esp in this fourm. Look I got things wrong because my head was melted by many things like the media with all the fear mongering and the mixed messages from 'the experts'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

My daughter is watching Dancing with the “stars” on RTÉ right now. Yep, you guessed it! Audience all wearing masks. None of the daaahlings hosting or the judges are though, just the peasants. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

A lot of the fear mongering on this thread was generated by you. Own it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Flashing your Covid pass when travelling in the EU is a roll of the dice now. Sometimes you get asked, sometimes you don't.

I’m just trying to understand why the people who are responsible for most of the nonstop fear-mongering in this country for the last 2 years are perpetuating the wearing of masks while almost everywhere else has dropped them. It’s almost as if they want to keep it going. If you can think of any justification for it let me know. Address the situation not the fact that you think I just shouldn’t be watching, that doesn’t help.

I really don't give a fúck what RTE are enforcing on their studio audience. You shouldn't either.

Here's a justification though - perhaps the demographic attending such recordings falls into the 'at risk' category and RTE are worried that, in these litigious times, that their risk assessment deems mask wearing as a suitable control measure.

• Advertisement

As I’ve said before if these people are so “at risk” maybe they shouldn’t be in the fcuking audience in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In fairness that's a minor inconvenience by comparison to others

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Because there are certain people who if they catch this virus they will get very sick, maybe even die, I think these messages are for them

My wife and daughter currently watching the Swedish Eurovision competition for picking their song. Thousands in the arena not a single mask in sight and no social distancing nonsense. I guess Sweden doesn’t have any at risk people or they just want them all to die?

It's an utterly bullshît justification though.

What are the chances of every member of every live audience on RTE being "at risk"?

You need to get over yourself.

You think after two years of the "message", some people still need it reiterated by those on a dancing show?

Who are you to dictate what people should or shouldn't be doing?

It's not for me to justify RTEs risk assessments. I agree that it's bullshít but I was asked for a reason and I had a stab at it. I need to get over myself? Really? Why?

I'm done with you. It’s exhausting arguing in circles with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's an interesting statement considering that this entire forum is filled with posts of people being told to mask up, protect the vulnerable, follow the science, listen to NPHET etc etc over the last 2 years.

But the poster is entirely correct. If someone is medically vulnerable to where sitting in a studio audience for several hours may risk their health, they probably shouldn't be there in the first place - or at least recognise that that decision is on them and they have no right to expect others to do anything because of that choice.

Take risks, live with the consequences.

• Advertisement

Lads. It appears it's the rules if you want to be in the RTE audience that you have to wear a mask. It's not the big fúcking deal that you're making it out to be.

Ok I’ll have to put it another way so that you can understand. What’s to stop other organizations or businesses or shops just making up their own ludicrous rules that have absolutely no justification and people like you just going along with it like you have unquestioningly from the start? Most on here have been calling for personal responsibility with masks from the start, which we now have but that is not good enough for the self appointed guardians of public health RTÉ. It doesn’t matter how small a crowd it affects, the message is clear they want this to continue. Why are you ok with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

If an organisation or business or shop decide on a rule I don't agree with I'll simply not use them. From my point of view it's their loss, not mine.

Yeah but most organisations don't have the same reach into the private home like RTE do.

Will you not pay the TV licence now?

Kill the sky/virgin sub?

Disconnect your TV?

Well yeah you do.. why are you contorting yourself to the extent of making up justifications, that you yourself don't even believe to be credible, so as to justify our state broadcaster mandating masks?

I thought you were done with me? Appears not.

There's a lot in there ^^^ There's absolutely nothing to stop other organisations, businesses or shops making up ludicrous rules with no justification. Not sure how you've come to the conclusion that I've 'gone along with it unquestioningly from the start'. That's simply not true. It may surprise you to know that I ignored the 5km thing. Also, I'm not 'okay with this'. I just don't give a shíte what RTE are asking their studio audience to do. It has absolutely no effect on me.

I was asked. 'Contorting'? No. I really don't give a shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

To me though, it's not the same thing.

In the comfort of my living room I don't have to wear a mask. I know that to some this comes across as an "I'm alright Jack" attitude, but that's my opinion. I had the same attitude when the certificates where used domestically, I wouldn't go anywhere that required a certificate, we instead end it up going to each other's houses.

I honestly think you overthink it and I'm not saying this to wind you up 🙂

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say I'm overthinking it. Just pointed out a clear and obvious false equivalence.

Advertisement