Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

panasonic dmr hw150, hdd recorder issues

Options
  • 11-03-2022 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi does anyone here have similar panasonic hdd recorder used primarily on saorview, these are twin tuner hdd recorders that up to recently allowed the user to watch one mux and record a second, or record 2 channels at the same time, they are getting on a bit now and have provided solid service, funnily i have 2 of them now from different users with the same or similar faults, the machine will record perfectly from one mux at a time, if you try and record 2 muxes at the same time then the machine records for 10 minutes then shuts down, can i aske if anyone else uses similar machines and can confirm they can stii record 2 channels on different mux at the same time, eg rte1 and rte 2.

i have factory reset both machines, format the internal hdd, and updated the software online, my signal is perfect and i have tried them on 2 different locations on different transposers, any help appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I have 2 Panasonic Freeview HD recorders, one of them the model you are having problems with but have had no issues re recording. But I will set 2 timers to record at the same time and see if there is an issue and report back.

I have just tested out my hw150 recorder and when trying to record 2 programmes simultaneously, one from Freeview and the other from Saorview only one records but when recording 2 channels from Freeview both on different muxes recording is fine.

My other older Panasonic HD recorder which is a more expensive model with Blu ray disk player records from both Freeview and Saorview simultaneously without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pegasuspub

Hi is there any chance you could try record both rte1 and rte2 at the same time, i am too far south to get any freeview signals, thank you very much for your help, i wonder has there been some change to the saorview signal that could explain this, there has to be some logical reason, that seems to be the third machine that i know of that seems to have an issue with 2 saorview recodings at the same time

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

In Northern Ireland, all the RTE/TG4 channels are on the same Mux (NIMM) https://ukfree.tv/article/1107051947/Northern_Ireland_mini_multiplex_NIMM_

Down here, RTÉ One and RTÉ2 are on two different Muxes (MUX1 and MUX2) which might expalin why there's an issue with recording both stations at the same time

I have now sought to record 2 Saorview channels on different muxes and for some reason it has now recorded both as well as a combination of Saorview and Freeview channels which it didn't do yesterday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 jack12a

Hi, I’ve been having the same issues with my Panasonic freeview dmr 520 recorder for the past week, and like the OP I factory reset / defragmented the hdd all to no avail, however I found that when selecting a program to record on guide if you advance start time by one minute this cancels the guide link which is shown on the right of the timers, I’m pretty sure the programs will record ok ??. Or if you manually set two programs they will record ok ?. I know this does not resolve the issue. I believe that the units are receiving a corrupted start record signal from saorview on one of the two muxes via the guide link on the unit which is causing this issue, ?????

I think you're spot on here as my recordings that did record yesterday unlike the day before were set after programmes had started and so were not linked directly to epg.

Hi i tried setting the machine to record 2 programs yesterday, one on rte 1 and one on rte 2, so using mux 1 and mux 2, i went into the guide and pressed ok on the first program then edited the time by an extra minute to start just before the time on the guide and end just after the time on the guide, i repeated this process for the second channel or event. when both times came the machine seemed to be performing 2 recordings as i had two red REC symbols on the front display of the recorder, i left the machine proceed and checked the hdd afterwards for content, same result as before i am afraid, the machine had recorded on program correctly but selecting the second event on the second channel the display gave me the name of the program, the start time etc but the recording time is 00mins

so the machine registers second event on the second mux correctly appears to record it but in fact it actually does not, so from what i gather now we have four separate machines that are having issues that started about a week ago, if i set the guide to record multiple programs on any single channel the machine operates perfectly all day, i have 2 of these machines showing the same issue, i suppose my next step will be to try two recordings at the same time from channels on the same mux, thanks for your help

Hi , just to advise I sent an email to Saorview help desk seeking their assistance and outlining the issues we are experiencing with our Panasonic freeview hdd recorders at the moment.

I will update as soon as I receive a reply

Have you tried manual recording rather than recording linked to the guide and see if that works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Don't be surprised if they fob you off with "we dont support Freeview devices" that was their attitude in the past when they broke things.

Hi if you manually set any stations they will record perfectly with no issues,

if you set record via guide and move record time forward by one minute, say guide start time is 20.00 move it to20.01 it will record perfectly but obviously you may miss the very start of the program, the reason this works is by moving start time forward by one minute you disable the guide link so you are in fact manually setting recorder, this would indicate that the recorder is working properly and the fault is being caused by the guide link settings and or signal/code received by it.

Lets hope Saorview help desk can assist us and resolve this issue

Hi thanks for the advice, i will try that tomorrow, i will see if that will work with 2 programs at the same time, i found a single recording using the guide would work for me, it seemed to only falter when a second program was recorded at the same time,

will let you know,

Have manually set recordings on 2 Saorview channels on different muxes and this works fine so will ignore epg recording from now on.

However I do agree that something must have happened recently to corrupt recent recordings from epg and it does need to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

To be fair, if the product is not Saorview Approved, they can't do anything to help really

Hi I followed the advice on and tried two manual timer recordings and as stated the machine works perfectly and can record 2 programs from2 channels on 2 muxes at the same time, so at least that is something, whatever changed recently the guide based recording function seemed to work perfectly up to approx 2/3/22, thanks for your help all.

Hi, good to hear the workaround cumbersome as it is has worked on your device, setting recordings via the guide link was so much easier

It is strange that the guide link recording’s fail when two programs set for in and around the same start time on different saorview muxes as you said say Rte1 and Rte2.

I was wondering if this fault was also showing up on other devices say dvd recorder’s or television’s using record facility

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Split47

Just found this thread and joined to make a comment, same thing has happened my Panasonic HDD recorder this past week or so. advancing the start time by 1 minute has cured it but it's a pain in the whole!!

Advertisement