Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No

Yep we are now into phase 2 of wrecking the economy using the Russian invasion, can you see where this is going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

Still 50/50 in any shops I have been to so far. I no longer wear mine in shops but when visiting clients homes I still wear it. Some expect me to have a mask entering their home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

No

It's a recommendation. The previous wording:

It is now a legal requirement that all passengers wear a face mask or appropriate face covering throughout their full airport journey. Passenger should come to the airport with their face masks, but if new or more are required, masks will be available to purchase from vending machines and other outlets throughout the airport. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

No

less and less masks now here in the big smoke, even the diehards in the office have given them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No

Mandate is now gone in my office thankfully. Huge celebrations in here today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,825 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No

One person on the lower deck of the bus, and one person on the upper deck of the bus wearing a mask this morning. Bus was packed. Normality is back thank god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No

It was expected after a week or two, covid superstitious people would eventually calm down and ditch the mask.

Some people are slower to change than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭feelings

No

No chance I'll continue to wear a mask. Back to normal please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

No

It's pretty obvious isn't it?

Again though, a COVID infected person mask or no mask is a bigger risk than a maskless person who is not infected with COVID, correct?

This is how it has always been but I think you, like many others, can't see the wood from the trees. Maskless alone does not equate to a COVID risk, remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I intended to keep wearing one but now I look like a tit doing, none of the staff wear them & neither do the customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Still quite a lot of masks in the local SuperValu here. Mostly older people and middle-aged women it has to be said. Was in last Thursday morning about 11am and about 90% of the customers were wearing one. A lot less worn in the evening for the wine run though.

Was at a kids' birthday party yesterday indoors, big playspace for the kids. Quite a few adults wearing masks at the start, very few wearing them by the end. Staff were all wearing masks, presumably an employer thing.

I do think we're still in a bit of a transition phase where people aren't sure what contexts it's appropriate to wear them, so when doing something new they'll stick them on until they know the lay of the land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No

But here's the thing.. none of what you mentioned there is doing anything "new" - these are normal everyday activities that prior to 2020 no-one would have thought twice about.

Covid thankfully turned out to be nowhere near as deadly as was initially feared and even less so since Omicron became the dominant strain. That's why even the conservative and slow-to-relax-restrictions NPHET agreed that masks were no longer required.

I think what's going on is some people wanting to be seen to be doing the "right thing" - until they realise no one else is bothered anymore and then the masks are quietly put away. Masks have been an excellent exercise in social engineering if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's "new" in the sense that it's a change in routine. For those who would have spent a lot of time wearing masks; either in work or because they spent a lot of time going in and out and putting masks on and off; then the wearing of masks became normalised. And thus, doing the same activities without a mask, is new sensation.

For those of us, like myself, who probably would have had to put on a mask no more than once or twice a week over the last two years, then the transition is a lot more straightforward. But we humans are adaptive machines, we tend to find ourselves getting used to things very quickly. As such, wearing a mask indoors would feel normal.

Ask a motorcyclist if they have ever ridden without their helmet on. And they will all tell you that it feels really weird, like a form of nakedness. Even though they spend the rest of their lives without one, the association is there; on bike = wear helmet. So it's the same with masks. Indoors = wear mask. People will get used to not wearing them indoors again. In a couple of months if you go into a hospital and have to put on a mask, that feeling of weird discomfort will come right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

No

Big drop in people wearing masks so far this week from what iv seen.

Slowing returning to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

No

I've a friend who thinks nothing of being in a packed pub (maskless throughout) from 7 in the evening to closing time on a Saturday night - but who then deems it prudent to wear his cloth mask while popping into his local centra on the Sunday to grab some milk. He will also use his mask outside when at GAA matches but then discard it altogether to visit the local pub afterwards. I've softly queried him on this a couple of times and his only response was that the mask keeps him safer. Behaviour and a line of thinking that defies any sort of logic whatsoever.

• Advertisement

No

Not his fault to be fair - it's the same "logic" that was pushed all along.. OK in restaurants/pubs but you better mask up to go to the toilet!

I think the biggest "benefit" of masks was to be seen to be doing something and following the herd. We didn't encourage them in the initial stages (NPHET actively advised against it), but then other countries started to push them so we got on board too! Then when the UK (England specifically) relaxed the rules and mandates, it was OK for our shower to do it too.

The confusion, fear and anxiety caused by the last 2 years of our inconsistent, often illogical, "covid response" is huge and some people will probably never fully recover from it. Then you have those who just want to be seen doing "the right thing" and tut-tutting those who don't. There's a (thankfully) much smaller group who are actually vulnerable, but on the whole it's been a very illuminating (and disturbing) exercise in social engineering as I said earlier - it's frightening how easily most people handed over the decision-making of their daily lives without question, and continued to fight against taking that responsibility back even when it became very obvious that Covid was nowhere near the threat we initially feared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

No

But in the real world we don't need to wear masks any more.

It's over... look at my naked, maskless face, just look at it 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭prunudo

No

Weekly mask observations, 95% people not wearing them in smaller shops, convenience stores etc. Dunnes still at about 50% although generally it appears to be older people wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No

Never ever underestimate the capacity for people to lie to themselves or at least convince themselves of what's illogical if it means they look less foolish

Next time you are medically unwell, are you going to go to a mechanic?

Or will you trust the medical profession view in that instance?

It's over

Except it isn't.

See the way deaths are trending since August of last year?

This is a reality. I'm fine with restrictions being lifted, but I wish people were proactive and considerate towards others and would do something that doesn't really negatively impact them in instances where they are more likely to mix with other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

No

Sorry, but it is over, back to 2019 behaviour we go.

If King Tony says the restrictions can be removed, then that's fine by me. He locked us down for long enough, and I completely intend to ignore any "advice" and carry on as I did before all this started.

• Advertisement

No

Not long back from the weekly shopping trip to Dunnes myself.

I'd say mask wearing is down to about 25% at this stage in Dunnes itself, less in the smaller shops. Most seem to be middle-aged/older women and most of those with unmasked partners.

Good to see to be honest. People exercising their own decision making process.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement