Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2022 - England v Ireland, 12/03/22, KO 4.45pm - RTÉ2, RTÉ Player, ITV1, ITV Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Pack wasn’t battered, the scrum was illegal and we made lots of silly silly mistakes. Hendo seemed to decided he had a challenge for giving away stupid penalties and I would expect POC is giving some speech after we made the same error in each match at the lineout and been offside

England made huge hits all day but Ireland threw sloppy passes and left 3-4 tries on the pitch. The maul was stopped when it mattered and ireland held them for 30+ secs and they never moved

we also had lost our first choice front row, our first choice second row was knocked out and Hendo was not 100% match fit, but still some silly penalties

If the scrum was reffed correctly that would have been a totally different game, I think it was BOD before who said when the scrum was creaking all the players would have in mind not to knock on which of course meant everyone would knock on.

Even with all that we won with a bonus point away from home against a team ranked higher than ireland

plus, one thing we cannot accuse ireland is that we haven’t peaked a year out from WC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

We didn't adapt at scrum time. It was up there with the two worst in my living memory at Twickenham, 2012 and 1986.

It's a lightweight pack. You can't carry two as light as POM and Van der Flier in a backrow in Twickenham. I don't agree with the consensus of Sheehan having a great game. Herring was a big improvement.

It's a great result. A triple crown would be a decent reward. 50/50 we could have a championship. Yet there's a general feeling we are nowhere as strong as we thought we were in November.

Tector, from the U20s, might need to be fast tracked and see can he backup Sexton. Joey Carberry isn't the solution for me. Even in temperament I don't think he has the fire in the belly of a Sexton or O'Gara. Leadership wise I don't see us being where we were around 2009. We had O'Connell, O'Gara, O'Driscoll, Rob Kearney (his famous Carton Hse speech as a 22 year old in 2009 saying the Munster lads gave more effort with the province) etc. Bar Sexton who are the leaders now? Henderson? No. The great white hope of the past decade who never really reached his potential. James Ryan? No. He's just a nice big chap. He's no O'Connell, Itoje, Martin Johnson.

O'Mahony is hardly worth his place. Josh V is technically excellent, a leader? Teams that win tend to have several leaders. England 2003, Johnson, Wilkinson, Dallaglio, Hill, Dawson etc.

Lightness in the pack and more importantly Leadership are my worries for Ireland.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Healy made a vital turnover but that was the sum total of his contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We were awful! Yep, awful. Handling errors, discipline and in general, panic!

But, we won! I couldn't believe we finished that strong. We were 2nd best for periods. Regardless, if England didn't breach our lines, the match was played at their tempo. We couldn't fix the scrum and shame on us for not boring in! Really, if Genge is boring in, do likewise!

I thought JGP was good except for the quick tal penalty in the 2nd half. We needed to slow down and get some composure.

Healy is not at the level. He should be dropped after this 6nations. I think Herring was better than Sheehan. Furlong had a bad day. It's on him to fix the problems. Beirne and Henderson were poor. Outshone by Itoji, who I think was the best player on display. POM was a passenger. He should not start again. VDF and Doris were decent.

Well, I think that display shows what James Ryan brings. The pack in general were poor. Conan was a big upgrade when he arrived.

Next week is no easy win either. I think we've seen very little to suggest that we're a top side. There are significant shortcomings in the team, that need to be addressed.

The backs were decent. Sexton was average, imo. All in all, more questions than answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

So if Connachts pack are getting battered by bigger better teams in Euro 15 v 15 its Cartys poor game management ? but when a better irish team with a man up dont control the game until murray comes on it has nothing to do with game management ?

• Advertisement

If Carbery played like sexton today everyone would be saying he lost control of the game.

Sexton had a decent game today, bar one silly penalty. The backs were put under pressure by the coughing up of penalties by Iain Henderson and the scrum. It's like saying your wipers are faulty when the car battery is down.

Carthy and Connacht have nothing to do with the game in Twickenham. There's too much provincial BS on here. You were screaming for Carberry. Against 13 man Italy he was very poor. Who'd trust him several notches up in Twickenham...

Post edited by _NAGDEFY on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think this was very much the case, I think knowing both sides had lost their locks with Ireland bringing up from the bench right away and England being forced to juggle their pack he was probably very uneasy about the scrums in general and didnt want to start making them worst by throwing out yellow cards or declaring uncontested scrums again (saw how that went down vs italy). I also think his attention was mostly on the second row, which is probably why Genge got away with so much

This clearly seemd to be the case as the game progressed, especially with the scrum right in front of Ireland's try line late in the first half where even the ITV commentators were wondering what was going on.

Do I feel one team more then the other took advantage of this ease? Yes, england clearly set on a gameplan with the scrums from the get go either looking for that yellow card to even the numbers (which considering it's what Eddie Jones moaned about after the game I am thinking it was intentional) or to grab penalties to create scoring opportunities.

Again it needs to be stressed England has among the lowest number of tries this season and the highest number of penalty goals. So getting easy penalties suited them.

What did sexton actually do today apart from easy passes to the man beside him or a loop around? He never kicks to touch in fact he rarely kicks at all, lowe, conway and keenan did the kicking. He doesnt do open field running. He never took control of the game through playing phases or kicking. Ireland had no direction from 10 no game management.

It doesn't deserve a reply but here goes.

He linked well inside and out was central to our attack. His defence was very good. Sexton is a stronger and better tackler than Carberry. The kicking game plan involves using Lowe's left boot and Conway. Sexton didn't lose ball trying to offload in poor situations. Lowe, Furlong, Beirne did off the top of my head. Blame Sexton for that?!

Why the focus on Sexton when the problems were elsewhere?? It's ridiculous. You can't generate momentum with the scrum penalties given away and all the other ones.

You'll be jimdemp, I'll be NAGDEFY and Johnny Sexton will go down as our greatest outhalf. Throw Carberry in there and you'd soon see that Sexton was more than adequate.

• Advertisement

You just agreed with what i said but added sexton is a better tackler. You should not be so worried about a 10s tackling ability when they are favourite's and playing against 14 men. Sexton was poor and lost control of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

He left Itoje off the hook too for a blatant yellow so it all evened out in the end.

Quick look and I see you have a history for trolling. We'll leave it there so Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Sexton didn't lose control! Sexton doesn't scrum! The pack was floundering. We saw what Carberry produced v 13 men, on the front foot and........ yea!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'll have to rewatch the game, but my initial view of England is that they've a big issue with their backplay. Right now it appears the strategy is to hope Marcus Smith makes the killer play out of nothing.

They're getting very little from Slade at 12, which to be fair to him, is not his natural position. Their back three were barely a feature in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 inbloom427

I think the fact people were criticising Hendy for Beirne’s poor offload attempt says it all…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Thats not a “problem” for Ireland. They have no control over that. Just make sure to beat Scotland and get a chance of the Championship and then see what happens in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That move they had in the first half was excellent in fairness. Deep screen pass, which isolated Healy in space. They really had to work hard not to score from the break

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Can we agree right now not to blame the ref if our scrummaging goes pear-shaped against Scotland? England’s scrum dominance today did have a peculiar rotatory aspect to it but we should have been able to cope with the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

How do you cope with blatantly illegal scrumagining from your opponent? How do you make a ref who has already made up his mind change things?

• Advertisement

Furlong : England are boring

Reynal : I am a referee, not an entertainment critic

I’m a fan of POM but I don’t think he had a great game, along with a number of players.

I said it before but a backrow with POM and VDF is too light and not balanced, we again had that issue yesterday. For me it’s either POM or VDF, not together against the big team

Against the smaller pack it might work better

Be illegal back, if the ref allows it then fight fire with fire

On our own ball just get it out straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

VDF had 11 carries for 39 metres. Too light? That's BS

The pack wasn't floundering. The scrum issue gives England field position and possession. There was some very good performances up front beyond the scrum. Doris, VDF, Sheehan and pens aside, Henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

When Connacht are getting beaten up front, they have had a tendency for years to still go all out harlem globetrotters. So yeah you can lay some of the blame at Cartys door for not being a little bit more game aware/pragmatic

Yesterday beyond scrum time (Nigel Owens thinks we got screwed over and the pen count should have been 3-3 as England were wheeling it by stepping left), our issues were more to do with individual errors, knock ons which gave England a scrum which in turn meant penalty which in turn meant field position and possession. Sexton wasn't the one dropping the ball up front.

One thing I felt we got wrong yesterday was when we got Lowe away down the left in the first half, felt he could have tried a chip over the top instead of taking contact all the time. Ultimately the tempo we played at meant England were always in trouble in the last quarter if they didn't have a lead to defend.

VDF is in the form of his career and probably Ireland most consistent player for the last few months. He has to start. Can he keep the form up to the WC is the question and having a POM behind him fighting for that position is a great option

• Advertisement

Read my comments, I didn't say VDF was too light

Advertisement