Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

First quote in,

•  8 Hyundai 400-Watt Panels (3.2kWh system) 
    • Huawei Hybrid inverter and the Eddi hot water diverter -
    •  price is €6,719 after the SEAI Grant of €2,160. This system would produce approximately 3,000kW units per year
    • --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • If you wanted to add a battery,
    •  5kWh Huawei battery and Power Module - €4,900 additionally 
    • 10kWh Huawei Battery - €3,400 additionally to 5kWh battery 
    • Other details - 
    • For an isolation switch to be fitted for use in a power cut - the cost is €1,600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

For 8 panels, just get the solar as a service deal for €3600 net (or should I say €30 per month for 10 years). You then own it.

You could add a separate Storage inverter a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Hi. Many months back, a poster shared a Chinese (Yangtze solar) quote for a 5Kw system (parts only).

I can't find in searches.

Would appreciate knowing the outcome in terms of quality, Vat, duty.

To add, if anyone can share good experiences re any other parts only supplies.

Going a DIY route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mytime

Would have a name of the company that offers this service.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MatureCheddar

Hi guys, I'm looking for some recommended suppliers to get quotes in Clare. I've been reading through this thread and some of you guys have been getting great quotes. I'm looking for a system along the lines of a 5kwh system, battery, Eddi, and possibly an EV Charger. We have a south facing house with a slate roof, so if you guys can recommend me anything then all feedback is welcome.

Sent to both of you there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 quizzical96

• Registered Users Posts: 2 quizzical96

Hi I'm new to boards and new to researching Solar PV. All I've been reading is very informative and would appreciate some guidance in the direction of reasonable Solar supplier's in the South East. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 giannidtz

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TimToeTwo

Hi Guys Great info here. I've had 2 quotes

1. 24 x 370 Kw for total 8.88 Kw panels, 5 Kw Hybrid Inverter ( tells me 6 Kw Solis too close to max input and might shut down in summer - any thoughts ? ) 2 x 5.2 Kw Battery ( 10.4 Kw ) Eddi . 16,080 , 13,680 net of grant
    2. 22 x 405 Kw for total 8.56 Kw panels, 6 Kw Hybrid Inverter , 4.8 Kw Battery , Eddi . 14,350 , 11,950 nett

Seems like I am quoted too expensively - can I have pm names of better value companies - am Wexford based

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Those quotes look ok to me. Quote 1 is slightly better value than Q2, but even that's on the money.

It's not so much that the 6Kw will shut down, but that you'll be capped at 6kw. As in your 8.88Kwp in panels might be producing 7.5Kw of power, but the inverter will only take down to it's max which is 6kw. that's ok - many people do this. It also depends on your roof orientation. If you are all south facing then yeah, it could happen, but if you are split east/west, then it's less likely to happen.

Hi, can I have peoples opinions please. Our electricity bill is about 300 every 2 months. We have gotten a quote for the following:

20 PANELS 370 WATT 7.4 KW JA SOLAR

6KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER

5 KW PURE DRIVE BATTERY

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WIFI DONGLE

PRICE 12900 EU.

GRANT 2400EU.APPLY TO SEAI.

TOTAL.10500 EU.

My question is that it's such a big layout of 10.5k we're unsure if it's worth our while? It will probably take 10 years I imagine to make that back via what we save on our bills? Should we go ahead?. Thoughts much appreciated

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The quote is good value. You are a high user of electricity and a system like that would make a sizable dent in that bill.

Have you looked as your usage to see what is driving your high electricity bills? Do you have a heat pump?

That looks ok. Haggle and see what they come back with.

I don't have a heat pump..not sure why bills are high tbh...we're not home during day and fairly careful with turning off lights etc

Also if the bill is 300 every 2 months ....with the above quoted system what is out bill likely to be would ye estimate? Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You need to work in kWh rather than in Euro.

Plug your details in here and you'll get a pretty good idea of what such a system could generate. https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

You obviously need to use the energy as it is generated to achieve any savings.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, so here we go, this is very much non standard, so I'll start from the incoming supply, and see where this goes.

Incoming supply is 3 phase, with a day / night meter, at present not upgraded to smart meter. Meter, and other controls are in the garage, so readily accessible for any changes.

Next item in the chain is a large standby diesel generator that goes back to the days when there was a computer in the garage that had to be able to run if ESB went walkabout, which a while back was not unknown, as it's paid for, and runs on green diesel, it was retained when the computer went.

Generator is 30 Kva 3 phase, fully automatic with a Deep Sea control panel that also deals with the changeover contactors, it's auto start on mains fail, and then shuts down a short time after ESB returns.

Not currently in use, but connected to the house only is a 16Kva UPS, needs 3 phase input, but is single phase output, it was got for the right price a few years back, but the crash meant it never got fully commisioned, it used to run a server with appropriate size (large) batteries, but they got recycled a number of years ago. It was originally designed for much smaller (alarm size) batteries, but they had 150Ah batteries on it, due to the extended run time requirements for the server it was in use for. The UPS is also in the garage, so easy access to it and related wiring.

House is dormer bungalow, 70 Ft length roof, approx 20 Ft from eaves to ridge, flat concrete tile roof, it has a chimney in the middle, and 11 small velux windows, but there's a lot of space for solar panels, and I am thinking along the lines of possibly electric and water panels, as there's enough space for them. Orientation is SSE, and full sun for long periods with no significant shading issues, and that's the back of the house.

Heating is at present kerosene fired traditional boiler with steel radiator heating, and a non standard external heat exchanger on the water tank for the hot water. I don't have an accurate usage for this year, as we had to move the tank, and there have been other issues, so my records are a bit messed up for the last while, my guesstimate for this heating season is that we've used about 1200 litres, but that's a bit light because of the trips away.

Original construction is brick external solid block internal wallcavity walls, cavities were polystyrene insulation (1990 standard) but they've been filled in recent times with SEAI approved fill.

Roof was foam sealed in 2021, throughout, and we've noticed a massive improvement as a result, the draughts have gone, and there's a significant improvement in the heat retention, the fibreglass in the roof was dire, despite a lot being done after we moved in and discovered just how bad a job the builder had done, and there were ongoing issues with massive air draughts until the roof was foamed.

Windows are 1990 standard double glazed, which are not bad, but we had one window replaced, and new glazing fitted in the aluminium patio door, and that's made a difference, so the remaining windows and doors need to be upgraded to improve the heat retention.

Cooking is gas hob, electric oven. All lighting has been upgraded to LED, with the exception of 1 office space and the garage that are still flourescent tubes, but they're due for upgrade this coming summer. There is a twin element immersion heater, but it's not used unless there is an outage, we've tended to use the oil boiler for hot water in the summer months, it keeps the boiler running, and used to be cheaper than electric costs. That may be about to change, but for now, we're still using oil. The storage cylinder is recent with a spray foam jacket on it.

Annual electric usage per 2 months is around 450 Kwh in summer months, and around 680 per 2 months in winter, though due to trips to UK for family issues over the last 12 months, the figures are a bit distorted.

Current BER (2020) is C1, but that does not reflect the changes as a result of the foam in the roof, and the window and patio door upgrade, which have made a difference. It was done with a view to installing an air to water heat pump, but with the result we got, we decided that it was not an appropriate upgrade at that time.

So, given the push to make yet more changes, and the recent astronomic increases in energy costs, what's the best options with Solar. The UPS I have here is capable of running the entire house, and the generator is also well capable of covering any outages, so it's a question of what the best options may be for solar to help reduce our costs, and what the right direction would be with the UPS, do I keep the one that's here, given the capacity of the thing, or do I sell it on and get a smaller unit that could also be then allowed to benefit from feed in to the network, given I have 3 phase to play with.

Underfloor heating on the ground floor is not an option, as the entire floor is tiled, and ripping that out to put in pipes is not an option. It's concrete, and some insulation was put in during original construction.

The UPS is in the garage, and as it's already wired, replacing it with a smaller unit would be simple enough, and as it's in the garage, any wiring changes would be simple enough.

I'm not convinced that we will get best value for money by going for a SEAI scheme, in that there are a number of very much non standard things here that could confuse the issue, and finding a contractor that understands what's here may not be straight forward, as it's not a normal domestic environment.

So, any suggestions on the best path forward, and suitable contractors who might understand what's already on site.

Thanks

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 kvnt

so i got another quote today

16 370w ja solar pv panels

5kw Givenergy hybrid inverter

5.2kwh Givenergy battery storage

pv protect/shunt switch

AC/DC isolators

AC/DC cable

renusol mounting kit

11,726 before grant 9,300 after grant

to add another 5.2kwh Give energy Battery the price goes to 11,869 after grant

what are your thoughts on the 2nd battery is it worth it ?

is givEnergy a decent product ? does it compare well to solis and purdrive

Thansk for any input

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement