Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Clique

Options
  • 29-12-2021 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

There's a strong clique in my work place made up of mostly women who are very vocal about empowering women on one hand but do their best to avoid doing any real work and instead spend most of their time trying to make names for themselves by posting clichés on the internal work "social media" platform. Most people see through this including other women who do incredible work on its own merit.

I try to keep a wide berth from these people but inevitably our paths cross with work tasks.

I'm finding it increasingly increasingly difficult to tolerate them without them spinning it like I'm the bad person

Any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭champchamp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Ignore them ... life is full of people / situations which you are better of ignoring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

Keep your comments to yourself because the alternative will bring you nothing but regrets that you opened your mouth. I can guarantee you that nobody else in your workplace is going to rush in to back you up if you wade into battle over this non-issue. Workplaces are filled with people who just want a quiet life and have no desire to get overly involved in office politics. If these women are slacking off with their work, it's up to their manager to do something about it. Other than that, learn how to ignore people who annoy you at work. There is no coming back once you open your mouth and start to criticize.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Just ignore. Tune them out. You can train yourself to do this quite easily . Part of their objective in this schoolyard behaviour is to illicit a hostile response from colleagues who aren’t on the same wavelength as them.

I wouldn’t please them to give it them. Are there opportunities for promotion/ups killing your can focus on? Move up, move on whatever. Leave them at it. Whatever you do don’t be tempted to draw the bosses attention to the lack of production. Unless it’s impacting on you of course.

He/she doesn’t want to have their poor management skills pointed out to them. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,471 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Work hard, well, efficiently and smart… the empty vessels make the most noise… they seek confrontation, validation and attention to establish relevance… don’t give it to them.., attention seekers like these are toxic, tune them out… smile at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

In general - these cliques as mentioned above are toxic. If something is time bound maybe ask - "you are a life saver, when would you have this piece of work for me" or something to that effect. Cushion the question and appeal to their sense of helping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I've had that experience recently. I stood up to a bully at work. There were a few in the room who I'd heard give out about that particular person before, and they said absolutely nothing to help me. And I think if anything I nearly got the sense that they'd have taken the bully's side!

There have been times in life when I haven't had the courage to stand up to the bully, but if I ever saw anyone else who took the initiative, then I'd be ready to have that person's back at any moment. However this wasn't the case the last time it was me who took the initiative!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,942 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Start a burn book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Are they good looking? Do they know the manager well, or suck up to them? There must be some reason why they manage to get away with doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Manager is probably afraid of them and getting slapped with sexual harassments in work. Its easier to let it slide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

They say "give them enough rope they will hang themselves" when your working with them give no info of your knowledge just get the job done...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Augme

Haha, says a lot that you automatically assume their managers are men.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭n0minus1

SupaCat95 actually didn't assume their Managers are Men, if you re-read their post

You did though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Augme

If you believe that, you must still believe in the tooth fairy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭n0minus1

Its there in black and white ;-)

You are aware that female managers can have sexual harassment claims brought against them too by female employees right?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

It doesnt matter the gender of a manager. Managers/HR (which is mostly women btw) job is to protect the companys interests, not the workers/individuals. I only heard of it last week, a manager threw a "floor walker" under the bus because the employee was making a false claim of injury. Both individuals were female. Now I didnt see the incident, I sided with the manager because the employee was going to be let go anyways when this happened. I learned LOADS about making a personal injury claim and how to defeat a fraudulent claim. There will be no claim and the worker will go away quietly because she committed some very serious fraud on her own.

Ever see a worker or manager speak out against the senior management or ownership in Ireland? Think of the examples that do it, where do they end up? Sugar Canned, sacked and unsuitable for industry. That is how we deal with snitches in Ireland.

Advertisement