Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Aki was picked today because the English centre pair are smaller and him bashing them up all day would have worked. Once England lost a player all the plans flew out the window as England just wanted to defend and not attack, something they could not have done 15 v 15

i think it’s great we have 3 excellent centres and can pick and choose with some great back up

I expect Farrel will mix and match based on opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Aki is the best option at 12, he has proven this in November and hes been right up there with Irelands best player this six nations.

Henshaw is a better 13 than Ringrose in my opinion, just injuries haven’t been kind to him the last few months. Ringrose form hasn’t warranted dropping either

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Has Ringrose ever not started when available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Henshaw is a better rugby player and 12 than aki. I'd prefer to see the likes of Hume come off the bench than aki v Scotland if a centre was picked in the 23 Jersey again.

6 metres, 6 passes and 2 tackles from aki today. I'd say the only person with worse stats was o'mahony who had minimal impact on the game bar chatting to the ref a few times when it's not even his role.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Aki was one of the better players today when Ireland were under pressure unlike ringrose who knocked it on twice in a row and butchered over lapses like always due to his limited skill base. There is a reason Aki and Henshaw are lions and ringrose is not. Ringrose was very poor today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jim is upset we won.

Remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Would be great if Jack McGrath could get back to some sort of consistent form after the serious injuries he’s had. Not convinced it’ll happen at this stage unfortunately.

Wonder if we might see Jack Boyle fast tracked with a view to making the World Cup squad as a 3rd choice LH a la Furlong in 2015 now that you can choose 33 players. Looks a real talent at U20s. Might be a little bit soon for him but reckon he’ll be in the mix by 2024 anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'll answer that now - no.

Tadhg Furlong was the most dominant prop I've ever seen at U20 level and an absolutely banker for the pro ranks. His first cap was still three years after that ludicrously dominant performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Fair enough, might be a bit early with the hype train :) slightly different positions mind you. Loose heads tend to come through a little earlier like Healy and Porter although both were physical outliers for that age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Backs were fine, starters and subs. Forwards, we need to find a couple of players who have the ball playing skills and the muscle. 6, 4 and loose head.

No need to panic, we have a tour to NZ to find them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Got to be concerned with Ryan's head injury history. This one looked flush on the cheekbone. He probably has a fracture . His season should be put to bed. Let him recover and get healthy.

After a 2nd watch, I think missing Kelleher was big. Sheehan did well enough but, I think Kelleher would have added to the team.

If I'm Farrell, I bring in Treadwell to start and Berne to 6. Conan at 8 and Doris on the bench. I don't really think Baird is at the required level, yet.

The Conway kick near the sideline was fuckin brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

To be fair to Healy on that second carry, it was a no arms chop tackle that wasn’t penalised. England went rogue with the offences in that passage of play there must have been 3 or 4 chops and a neck roll before the tap and go, all unpunished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think we're entering Mike Ross territory with Porter now, i.e. we're f**ked without him.

Maybe Healy just had a bad day at the office, and to be fair, Furlong was the bigger issue at scrum time IMO. At his age though, the graph is only going in one direction. Unfortunately Kilcoyne isn't the solution either and I just don't see anyone coming through that can step up. I see Peter Dooley's name being thrown around now, that would be quite the turn around because he's miles off test level as of now. EOS hasn't really progressed, Loughman, Ed Byrne...

Our best hope may be Jack McGrath doing a Lazarus on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

To be fair Dooley is being touted by one poster really. Dooley couldn’t get past Ed Byrne in Leinster I’d see no reason to think he’s going to push on too much, although I do see him being Connachts regular LH starter so will get plenty of game time.

I think the team went well in Autumn and even against Wales and to a lesser extent against France with a backrow of VDF, Doris & Conan. I think that backrow works as a unit. I’m not suggesting it’s the reason we didn’t play well against Italy or England but I do think it’s contributing. Back rows need balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The lions? Did you want the Lions play v SA? Talk about the worst display of rugby from two teams. Only Wales v SA could rival them

Ringrose would have walked into the centre if it was the season before his form was so good, last season he spent a lot of time injured and totally lost form. That’s why he dropped out.

Henshaw this season has had a similar run and hasn’t been really fit all season

Aki is a great player and he gives Ireland a huge advantage of a big players in the centre but he tucks and runs a lot, his pass is not great

Ringrose is a top quality player and Willa least be

Henshaw of the 3 is the best, his lack of form jnto the last WC was a huge loss

To me, our best combo is Ringrose and Henshaw as they compliment each other, but I can see games when a Aki combo with one of the other guys will be best.

So they all are quality players but the management need to make sure to mix & match to get the best out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

I would have big hopes for Josh Wycherley - but unlikely to be an option for 2023.

Really hard to know in the shorter term- Healy and Kilcoyne do seems to be off the pace and are only getting older. I guess if someone steps up at provincial level we do have a whole of players who seem decent at URC level and theroetically have the potential.

Could be someone like McGrath, O'Sullivan, Buckley, Dooley, Loughman, Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Beyond Porter, like at 10, we have a load of options but they are all somewhere between URC and HC level.

EOS or Wycherley seem the best bet long term right now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wycherly is buried behind Kilcoyne and Loughman, atm. It would be great if he was able to step up. I haven't paid much attention to Loughman and I have no real clue as to how he's playing.

EOS has been benching at Ulster. He's not improved enough. Healy is just old and past it. I would bin him this week and give Loughman the opportunity.

Going into the summer tour, there's a last possible chance to try other players. We will go nowhere at the world cup with Healy and Kilcoyne in the mix.

It's a pity that Milne has been injured the entire season. He could have perhaps been an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Pale Caucasian

Ringrose was quiet all game. He marshals his channel well but being a 13 is so much more than reading the game. Essentially people tout him as a starter for intangibles which aren’t measurable. POM gets hammered for it -Ringrose gets lauded - go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Ya probably - like the look of Jack Boyle in the longer term. Have been a big Denis Buckley fan but guess its too late for him now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thought Murray did well when he came on, quick and unfussy. Henshaw tòo. And Conan. The bench turned the game from one we were really struggling in, to one we got a TBP from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

For everyone giving out about healy.. was it not Furlongs side of the scrum which was under more pressure from genges illegal scrummaging??

Healy had a lovely intervention v Jamie George early in the first half.

I think it was a poor decision to start healy and o mahony together when Porter was missing. Hopefully the management learn from it

I think the entire front row struggled to be honest, but the bulk of penalties came through Furlong.

I think Healy is still playing absolutely fine, I just don't think he's a starter against a top 4 team in their own backyard (let's not forget England were 4th in the world until we beat them).

Reflecting on this forum yesterday, a lot of over reaction (mostly driven by the usual cranks) but there generally seems to be a lack of acknowledgment of how difficult a dominant scrum platform is to play against.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

It just shows where Irish rugby is now when we go to Twickenham and beat England by 17 points and we are dissecting it like we lost. And that's good.

Scrum was terrible, but most disappointing of all for me as the amount of penalties conceded. The count was way too high. Needless mistakes too were irritating

That said, we left points on the field, frankly it could and probably should have been 50

England has some good performances and team spirit, but they never threatened the Irish line, so if we lost, it was from the boot. The RTE post match presenter Joanne (think thats her name) made the point England were the better team and lost. She was watching a different game. How you can not threaten the opposition line, spend the entire game on the back foot and lose by a bonus point victory and be a better team baffles me.

Englands scrum was effective, spirit was high, but ireland ground it out without being at out best. We were pretty poor against Italy but frankly with Italy with 12 men on the field at one point the game wasnt a contest, but overall to this point, looking at results, being pretty consistent

If france win next week they deserve the slam. If France lose and ireland win, Ireland deserve the slam, while France have been good, they are less consistent, their match in Friday being case in point and the number of bonus points we have compared to them would vindicate my point I'd like the think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭Augme

I think what's far more telling is the underreaction the fact we played against 14 men for 78 minutes.

I disagree to be honest. Good teams can go down to 14 and still make it a game. Take out the scrum penalties yesterday and Ireland's 17 point margin widens on the basis of territory if nothing else.

I've said it in this thread already but worth repeating - I would rather a team play with 14 players and an utterly dominant scrum over 15 and the scrum giving up 5 - 7 penalties.

I would say we completely compounded the situation by playing so loose in their 22. Every turnover was a knock on by us - which gave them an automatic out through a scrum penalty on their own scrum. We played into their one strength on the pitch by trying to force things and I think we went into the game gunning for a bonus point to give us a shot next week and when we saw the red we tried to force it.

Having built a score and then allowing England back into it, Ireland teams of the past would have dropped their heads. I'm quite pleased that we went the other way.

I think a completely objective view of the game throws up plenty of positives and some qualification for the negatives. Big concern is the scrum and whether that was a once off or we have a targetable weakness there without Porter / Kelleher / Furlong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We need to find a place for Gavin Coombes in the back row. I prefer him at 8 but he needs to be there somewhere. Nobody matches him for power in that role. He's going to be in the world cup starting 15 (injury permitting) so we need to get him up to speed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I like Coombes as a player, but there's absolutely no way you can say for certain that he's going to start for Ireland at the World Cup. He's a good player, but currently lagging behind Doris and Conan at 6 and 8.

The fact he isn't getting much gametime at all when Farrell is all about bringing young players through, suggests to me that the coaches see issues with his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Going down to 14 men in Rugby Union has nowhere near as big an impact as some would have you believe (especially when the teams are evenly matched) and history shows as much. In the Wales match last year we played most of the match with 14 and lost by a score and should have won. When we won our first ever game in SA, we played the vast majority of the game with 14. In fact very often the team with 14 wins. I don't know about anyone else, but I became way more nervous when England got the red card, because I knew just how much emotional energy it would give them and their crowd.

If anything, the red card psyched England up way more than they would have been. They fed off the emotional energy it gave them and used it to play a forward orientated pressure game by kicking and forcing errors, hence them scoring in 3s. It was peak England/Saracens 2016-2020. But ultimately, for all their screaming and shouting when we made errors, they never created any try scoring opportunities or looked like threatening our line. Whereas whenever we got the ball in their half we looked like we'd score. It was just poor decisions and handling errors that let them off the hook. We were always going to put them away when we cut out the errors, and that's what we did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭Augme

While you might prefer to play with 14 men for close to a full game then 15 men and a dominated scrum I doubt any player or professional would. The reality is our inability to adapt to being dominated in the scrum is also a huge negative.

I honestly don't know how you can say a completely objective view of the game throws up more positives then negatives either tbh. Even saying the fact we built a score, allowed them back into in and our heads didn't drop is a positive is about as green tinted as you can get.

Again, our only big concern is the scrum? Yep, let's just ignore out in gain decision making and on-field leadership.

Advertisement