Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Even if nuclear weapons didn't exist, war with Russia wouldn't be a small matter and victory wouldn't be guaranteed.

If nuclear weapons didn't exist NATO would have likely enacted a no fly zone. In open conventional war the Russian airforce would be a smoking wreck within 48 hours, their radar sites and artillery craters, their logistics burnt husks and their army in rapid retreat within a week. They are so far behind the NATO forces and especially the Americans the outcome is barely debatable. If even a batallion strength of British or American marines crossed the border today, I'd bet they'd be noticed pretty quickly on the Russian side.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Invading forces don't usually have to literally control every bit of land. The main thing is putting boots in the major urban centres - the places of economic and political importance. And Putin's forces may be able to take those in time - how much I have no idea, but what a headache it'd be trying to hold onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

If anything this invasion has put to bed the myth of the Russian superpower. Its a country run by d1ckheads who happen to have nukes.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Advertisement

So looks like we're seeing the M.O. for Russian occupation of the country. They kidnap local mayor of town/city, accuse him/her of "terrorist activities", replace with Russian puppet mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

RTE platforming Irexit activist Karen Devine on the Brendan O'Connor radio show, hosted this week by Dearbhail McDonald. Devine talking absolute drivel, claiming there is a "partition between Ukrainian speakers and Russian speakers" in Ukraine and referencing the discredited fools Jeffrey Sachs and John Mearsheimer in admiring tones. McDinald did not challenge her.

Two weeks ago Brendan O'Connor platformed David Horgan, who argued against sanctions on Russia and trotted out the standard pro-Russia tropes. Horgan is an energy industry corporate type who was involved in setting up a LNG terminal in occupied Crimea. O'Connor never mentioned this.

Is it any wonder that pro-Russia propaganda spreads in society when you hear this absolute bollocks going without challenge on the national broadcaster's main weekly current affairs discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

Victory wouldn't be guaranteed, is that a joke?

NATO would decimate Russia's armed forces in about 48 hours in a conventional war.

Nuclear weapons are 101% the reason there's no intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Russia will back off this unwinnable invasion and claim they achieved their objectives or some rubbish. Not after a massive amount of indiscriminate destruction though. They will keep forces in donbas and crimea.

Western sanctions will continue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There have been a lot more public demonstrations against that gobshíte than seen in Russia against putin. I get the strong impression far fewer support him than support putin and this war will harden that further. Lukashenko in the last few years has lost all of his curated facade and looks and acts like a joke puppet of putin. He didn't even make his pet a general in the Russian army. 😂

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah, the yanks have such a surplus of military hardware their national guard (reserves) are better equipped than most standing armies, even their police forces have more military hardware than many armies have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭wandererz

Ha!

Not sure what happened there.

Corrected now.

I meant to say:

"This is so surreal, it's like watching the series "Colony" "

So your usual anti vax conspiracy theory "news sources" have started providing military assessment now, with the same level of accuracy.

Surely unless you have a plan and possible means to eliminate every single person on the entire earth belonging to the group being targeted then it can't even be considered an attempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I didn't hear it but I assume B O'Connor did challenge them somewhat.

Totalitarian information control is not interesting to free peoples regardless of how 'wrong' minority-opinion oddballs are considered to be.

People can get Al Jazeera TV through Sky packages, so why should RTE be exclusively sanitised?

In practice no, thankfully, though Native Tasmanians came very close. It's more about a stated and attempted aim IMHO. Hitler and his goons stated quite clearly their intent and attempted to wipe Jews, Gypsies and other 'undesirables' from their lands and the world. In Rwanda the Hutu attempted to kill all Tutsi as an aim. At no point has putin come close to stating or attempting such an aim, even in his spin and rantings over the last decade. He wants them to continue to exist, but as vassals as part of his renewed Soviet Union pipedream.

Yep. Pretty much their game plan since Soviet times kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'm not 'anti-vax', I was against covid passes and scapegoating of unvax.

Is it any wonder that pro-Russia propaganda spreads in society when you hear this absolute bollocks going without challenge on the national broadcaster's main weekly current affairs discussion.

No wonder to me tbh. On a few matters our national broadcasters supply of absolute bollocks shows no sign of running out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

If Putin was so very concerned about becoming ill or dead from Covid, then can we infer he cares about his life and is therefore unlikely to use nukes which would definitely result in his death?

He would be safe in a bunker complex somewhere, Russia is a vast, vast country. During the Soviet era they had a full on prepped underground city ready to go in case of all out nuclear war, it's likely they'll have some version of that today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Putin had ludicrous notions of Ukraine being a deeply divided country, full of Putinists, many of whom would welcome a Russian invasion with open arms. They honestly thought defeating Ukraine and installing a pro-Russia puppet regime would be a piece of cake, that it could be done in a couple of weeks.

Goodness knows what the end game is now. The Russian media and pro-Putin part of the public appear to be little more than fantasists, who got sucked into believing their own state propaganda and lies about Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Is that who she was? Basically got stuck into a narrative that this was all the fault of Ukraine and 'the west'. And was not challenged by anyone in the studio, just a txt or two. I thought maybe she was a spokesman for the Russian embassy.

I very much doubt Putin had the same notions as his carefully manufactured propaganda, but as a dictator is probably surrounded by yes-men who gave him wildly optimistic predictions that Ukraine would collapse very quickly. Many Western analysts also thought the same. Ukrainians have surprised everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

These "puppet mayors" must be dangerously stupid.

How long do they think they are going to last?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

That is my question about the whole invasion. How long does the Russian occupancy think that it is going to last?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Safe until you open the door. The fallout of a full scale nuclear war would render the planet uninhabitable for a solid 10,000 years.

I'm firmly of the opinion there would be no half measures, if there is a nuke landed in New York or Moscow there would be a full onslaught from either side. I think it would be ultimately all or nothing. Some think otherwise. I'd love nothing more than to be wrong

And you're the poster who was schooled by greenpilot about the difference between the EU (that's the European Union by the way) and Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This appears to be the bould Karen! https://www.dcu.ie/lawandgovernment/people/karen-devine

A doctorate in politics and lecturing in DCU. Her views maybe fine in a political essay but she can f**k right off in reality with her victim blaming speel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement