Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nadal has pulled out of Miami, presumably decided one hard court tournament is enough for March.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

He might be out of Indian Wells today as well if Korda can hold his nerve here.

Korda chokes. 5-2 up in the third and loses in a tie break.

Can't not admire the way Nadal gets himself out of these holes time and time again.

Bad loss for Korda, but at 21 he still obviously has lots of time to achieve big. He's lost three matches in a row after serving for them though, so that's something to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,013 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Petra Kvitova won in three sets tonight. The heat seemed to get to her near the end though. I’ve always like her as a player. Maria sakari won in straight sets but sabalenka lost in three sets.

• Advertisement

Watching the Shelby Rodgers Jenela ostapenko match and Rodgers won the first set in kind of a weird way. Rodgers hit a return that Ostapenko felt was going long it didn’t and the Latvian was taken by surprise.

it was a strange night on the woman’s side at Indian wells.

amanda anisimova retired in her match against Leylah Fernandez when it was cone set all going into the deciding set.

Then Naomi Osaka was brought to tears early in her game against Veronica Kudermetova because a woman in the crowd shouted “you suck” at Osaka and she wanted to address the crowd mid match but didn’t and then after she lost she asked to speak to the crowd.

I mean you suck is fairly low on the totem pole of things fans in sport shout at players.

I read about this this morning. The report read it seemed Osaka heard something shouted in the crowd at her opponent who is Russian but then it turned out it was shouted at Osaka. How was Osaka doing at the time the comment was made? I'm just not sure Osaka is really interested in playing on the tour anymore.

What ever about Osaka and her problems, Anisimova is another. She had 4 match points in match against Fernandez and couldn't convert then retires due to illness in tears.

When I see Fernandez playing and I often think would it have been better for Raducanu if she was the runner up. Fernandez seems to be able to go about playing in tournaments without the hype and circus that there is around Raducanu. She is at a nice seeding, has entry to all the big tournaments, little pressure and I often think would this have been a better part for Raducanu? Then again Raducanu has a slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think your final line answers the question, she may never get that opportunity again, plus she's still young enough that she can afford a few tough years learn from them and comeback stronger still in her early twenties. Fernandez may never win a slam, she could go on to have a better long term career but not win a slam. Raducanu is already light years ahead of where she thought she'd be at this stage, financially secure for life and can walk away at any time as a slam champion.

• Advertisement

She was down 0-2 and lost the set 6-0.

well she’s been quoted as saying the tour is too long and she’s trying to play as little tournaments as possible which is hardly breaking news.

I watched some of the Fernandez and Anisimova live this morning and AA was the much better player and she won the first set and it was looking ominous for Fernandez. It wasn’t the fact that Fernandez won due to her opponent retiring, but it was how it happened. If she was ill as she claims then call a MTO, but she just walked off the court.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

I read that the umpire wanted her to take a medical timeout but she just left the court.

I can kinda understand Anisimova doing this been a tough week with Cahill ending their coaching relationship this week and losing the 4 match points proved too much but Osaka I am having a hard time understanding. I really think she doesn't want to play the tour, look at the abuse other players get and continue on. She needs to walk away if it's too much for her mentally.

I think she needs to take an ash barty like break from tennis and decide if she wants to play tennis. Osaka tired to compare herself to to the Venus and Serena stuff in 2001 at the same event which frankly is a ridiculous comparison to make. They aren’t the same thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Is she trying to bring racism into it with the Williams sister comparison?

I think so. I mean what other comparison could she be drawing ? Match fixing ?

It was my impression but not overly familiar with the original incident so was just making sure.

I'd have little time for her general antics over the last year or two but playing the racism card because somebody in the crowd told her she sucked would just decrease my opinion of her even further (not condoning the heckling at all either).

Osaka is making a rod for her back with these ridiculous comparison. Someone shouting "Osaka you suck" is nothing compared to what happened to Venus and Serena. Just thinking of the abuse that the likes of Djokovic and Medvedev get and how they handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Osaka needs to either grow a pair, get back to basics and commit to a proper schedule or else retire. It’s patiently obvious she’s not interested in the grind of the tour and has made enough money to last a lifetime. Fair play to her for that and if she can’t take the stresses and pressure then just walk away. I wonder how long her extensive list of sponsors will stick with her though, they can’t be happy with the level of exposure they are getting.

Playing the race card is not on though and speaking after she lost the match was disrespectful to her opponent who didn’t get major support from the crowd, it must be very difficult for the Russian players in general as the level of crowd support they are getting is very low. That’s a topic for another time though.

Animisova seemed to have a total meltdown after failing to convert the four match points, Darren Cahill opting out of their coaching agreement has led to a lot of speculation and she seems to be very mentally fragile, her Dad’s sudden death has obviously had a huge effect on her career and hopefully she can get her head together as she is a very exciting talent.

I watched Saville/Jabeur and was disappointed with Ons level, however she is only back from injury and Saville is like a Duracell bunny on court and willing to stay out there for 3hours if needed. It’s good to see her back after Achilles surgery and she has already made her way back into the top 300.

Quick mention of Marie Bouskova the nicest girl on tour beating Pegula in 3.

Osaka's already taken like two or three breaks from tennis, how many more can she take? I know I'm sounding harsh but I'm just bored of her theatrics now at this stage. No player should be abused on court, and I hope the woman who did it was ejected, but asking for a microphone to address the crowd and trying to bring the Serena/Venus Indian Wells debacle into it is just delusion of the highest order. She's not forced to play tennis and she can retire at any stage she wishes and live a nice life. "You suck" is pretty low down on the spectrum of abuse that players would generally receive, so I'm finding it difficult to sympathise with her 'plight'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

I don’t think anyone has sympathy for her any more. There’s far worse things said and most players just shrug them off, Osaka comes across as very needy and frankly with everything that’s going on in the world right now her pampered prima donna act is nauseating.

I don't know, I had a quick look on twitter this morning and it was the usual outpouring of support for poor Osaka. I'm sure she reads that and believes that's how the entire world sees her plight.

The Twitter echo chamber will always be on the side of people like Osaka. Most of the most vocal support I see for her is from people who clearly don't actually follow tennis. In tennis communities/forums the feelings tend to be far more mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

Is it very common for someone to shout at a player that they suck during a game? I would have thought that it was a very rare occurrence myself and not the kind of behaviour that would, or should, be tolerated at a properly run tennis tournament.

Doesn't happen often in tennis, but not a totally rare occurrence either. I'm sure we all remember Nadal being heckled and given the middle finger by a drunken woman last year in Australia. No one is saying that it should be tolerated, and I think the offender was removed, but to spend most of a set crying about it, asking to have a microphone to address the crowd (!) and trying to draw comparisons between this ugly incident from 2001 is quite the stretch.

I had a look this morning and similar. I also saw Venus and serena trending.

Anisimova I can have some sympathy for with the loss of her father and then Cahill dumping her at the start of Indian wells, I'm sure she wasn't in the right frame of mind and losing those 4 points was the straw that broke the camels back. I was laughing at one of the reports saying the umpire was asking her if she wanted a medical timeout but she had already left.

As for Osaka, I think most folks are getting sick of this crap from her and using the incident with Venus and Serena which was totally different as an excuse is a joke. Next she will asking to play behind closed doors. As I said I think she should step away if she can't handle one idiot saying she sucks.

So prime video are showing Emma raducanu today after all. In fairness in sport momentum and confidence are huge.

I'm almost tempted to write a complaint to Prime Video at this stage. I stuck the highlights on this morning and was forced to watch first Cam Norrie (where the commentators moaned about how disrespectful it was to put him on an outside court) and then Dan Evans. They then showed one point from both the Medvedev and Tsitsipas matches and did the same with Osaka. Didn't so much as mention the heckling incident afterwards either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Osaka really cant help herself.

She seems to bring racism into everything like all virtue signallers.

Pro athletes get heckled all the time. That is the nature of sport in front of an audience.

It has nothing to do with race or gender.

Osaka has just perfected the art of playing victim at every opportunity.

Poor me boo hoo.

Advertisement