Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Can anyone recommend any place around McCurtain St./end of Oliver Plunkett St. that's good for a quick lunch? (Toastie/soup/tapas or other small dish etc. Not pre-packed sandwiches.)

I've been going to the Moody Cafe but it has a limited menu and I've been overdoing it. The 5 Points place might be good but always looks very busy (hate places that are too busy, especially if I don't know the menu and am holding the place up trying to look for something).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had a lovely brunch in Naturally Nourished (Alfred street, I think) a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

The 5 points is nice, their menu is online of you want to have a pre read

They had run out of the bread I wanted it on when I went but they just made the sambo up in another

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Are you looking for eat in or takeaway lunch? I get the sandwiches from the sandwich stall in the English market, or a salad box from them. The beetroot and feta salad, and the butter bean with pesto are my favs. I like the Reuben they do too. Jos and bros was recommended to me for take away hot sandwiches, but I haven’t tried it myself.

Went to the Dean, Sophie’s for dinner. The views are absolutely gorgeous there. The whole place is stunning inside, brass fittings, marble, colourful. Bathrooms are good, staff are very responsive, friendly. Drinks were pretty decent , not a bad wine list, cocktails were good.

Food: I got prawn tempura, it wasn’t tempura, more like battered deep fried prawns. Don’t get me wrong, still tasty, but not tempura. Had a spicy mayo with it. Ordered pear and goats cheese salad and “dirty fries” for next course. The pear salad was fridge cold and fairly limp because of it. Dirty fries were chips with the same sauce that was on the prawns. Ie, Not half dirty enough! They need to be filthy! Tossed in chilli, flecked with bacon or crispy onion , cheese on top… you know. Anyway, those are really minor quibbles, we ate and enjoyed it all.

id recommend solely for the view tbh, it is a lovely spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I've had lunch in Nectar a few times, at the end of Maylor Street. I've only had sandwiches there but they were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check 5 Points menu, though it does seem a bit busy. Naturally Nourished is a good shout, I used to go there for a takeout when the weather was good, need to check it out again now that sitting inside is an option.

Nectar I hadn't thought of, do you know if they do the pre-prepared (wrapped) sandwiches or freshly made?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Re: bottom of Oliver Plunkett St - https://www.cameronbakery.com/menu Cameron Bakery do sandwiches.

We had brunch recently in 51 Cornmarket and it was FAB. I'm a massive brunch snob and this was probably the best brunch we've had in a long time. I'm hesitant to recommend it because I don't want it getting so busy that I struggle to get a table, but I'd also hope that it would inspire other places to follow suit. To me, brunch should be decadent and luxurious, which 51 Cornmarket definitely is. All I could wish for would be the addition of chicken and waffles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Does the one on Oliver Plunkett street do them? I know Washington Street does, but OPS is considerably smaller.

No savouries in the Parnell Place outlet. Just cakes and pastries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ah, my bad, I’ve only been in there once briefly so wasn’t sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

They have some baguettes as well but just to buy as bread, no filled sandwiches.

Re: Nectar, the sandwiches were premade sitting in the glass counter but not wrapped in plastic or anything so they might well make them up fresh if you wanted something in particular. I'd say they're made in store rather than bought in. I've picked one out and they wrapped it in paper for takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

loved that place when it was The Parlour.. staff as well as food wer fab... found staff of the new place (51) not so fab.. put me right off.. don't even rem what i had

Speaking of Cameron, they are opening a third shop in Blackrock village, where Stanley signs used to be. Opposite the natural food company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Saw this - perfect location and a bit of healthy competition for Natural Foods! The Pier Head is really coming on as a place to visit on a nice sunny day :-)

umm fair play to em - not a lover of Cameron though I have to say, confectionary wise.. find their stuff OTT.. too sweet n heavy for me.. though I know its popular.. esp for sambos.. do they do salads or just sambos? (non confectionary wise?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Just sandwiches.

I love Cameron. Parma filling in garlic/tomato baguette,a pastel de nata /Madeleine or 2 and a coffee. That's a great lunch right there 😁

Their chocolate royals are also *chefs kiss*

I wouldn’t call Cameron heavy myself… what did you have? Their chouxs are like little puffs of air.

I love NFB (that oaty biccie with coffee walnut in particular) but their baguettes are nearly double the price of Cameron.

have shared an assortment of them.. we get boxes of em at work as pressies.. dunno the names of em.. some mousse like - v chocolatey and luscious.. some with a lot of creme anglaise/heavily sugared fruit etc.. not my cuppa at all.. too sickly sweet/heavy for me..

OMG - the coffee oatie is my no 1 fav from TNB too.. have had so many of em over the last 2 yrs.. I actually get a hankering for em from time to time.. love em.. I much prefer confectionary like this - lots of crumbly texture.. the coffee buttercream is delish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Mind boggling - according to Just Eat Awards, Jump Juice in Douglas is the best place in Cork for lunch. Who votes in these things?

• Advertisement

People who use Just eat I guess... so time-pressed people who don't get the chance to go into places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Aside from the city centre, Douglas has far and away the most options in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Dukes do lovely sandwiches and you can get in and out quickly.

what about Crust on MacCurtain St? Fab toasties.. they butter the bread on both sides.. hmm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Went to Istanbul for the first time in ages. Still good!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Is Crazy Kebab still open? Went there to get kebab around 6pm Saturday evening and it was closed. Just wondering if they are gone

Seen it open pretty recently.

Had lunch in Da Calf Corn Market Centre the other day - fab food - it really is - quality tasty food.. none of your processed crap - home baked goods.. staff are lovely too.. and while there is not much natural light in there, one can still sit by a window and see life in the centre... lovely spot.. open till 5pm every day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Benny McCabe owns it, you'd expect nothing less than excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Was actually in there on Saturday morning for breakfast and I have to agree, it's a lovely place with really nice food.

Advertisement