Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling with a difficult co-worker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭n0minus1

I agree, you don't have to prove anything.

I'm sorry if I upset you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Apologies. I didn't mean you to cause drama. I more meant your colleague does.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dasdenny

This does seem to be getting to you OP, I'd say let it go if you can. No need letting other people live rent free in your head. That said it really doesn't seem like your co worker is the one being difficult at all. Good advice from others to have your Manager actively step in and advise in these types of situations in future though. Above all else mind yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The co worker is trying to inflate his role and diminish others. Some people here are falling for it hook line and sinker.

It's office politics as old as the hills.

You have to learn how to push back but look good doing it.

You could equally argue the OP is trying to diminish the role of this other person. It seems everyone in her work apart from herself is onboard with how it has been approached though. All the more reason for her to get her managers opinion directly AND make sure she isn't seen as the bad person

• Advertisement

Probably because they they know that can acknowledge the request but have no intention of actually helping or working over time.

The other worker should get his manager to arrange cover based on the managers knowledge of the teams workloads and associated metrics. Seems to be an absence of management here.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

-

Post edited by TheGlossy on

You could simply push all his emails into spam folder and ignore them. That would clear your head space. Out of sight out of mind.

Also length of time spent in the office isn't a good metric of productivity. One of my tasks used to take the previous person half a day to complete. When it was given to me I automated it and now it takes around 15 mins to run unattended. I'm sure the other guy looked busier though.

At the end of the day you need metrics to quantify output. Cuts thorough all the BS.

-

To be honest I can see why some people are challenging you. The post title blames a single person and you've repeatedly blamed that same person even when you eventually admit a much larger management issue. The latter is the problem you need to focus on. Anything else makes it look like you have a personal issue against this one guy. I've seen people be called bullies for less so just be very careful. Mind yourself

• Advertisement

You can't fix someone else. Trying will only make you look bad. You need to cut them out of your head.

What you have to do is focus solely on yourself and work smarter not harder.

Sometimes being smarter is not delivering (or being very slow) on the work you don't want to do, while knocking the ball out of the park on the work you do want to do.

The nature of boards is to to attack the poster not the content of the post. Because that's they come here for. If you have a problem with a post, report it, or it's a poster put them on ignore. Then move on..

-

Be careful, what you consider to be facts can be seen very differently by others. Normally others won't give you the benefit of any doubt, less so judging by what you've said here about your workplace. You can be 100% right and still be made out to be the bad person. Just some advice, focus less on that individual and more on the overall issue itself

-

Venting is all well and good. However, opinions will be challenged. By the way, its the people in your work who won't give you the benefit of the doubt. Its sounds like you have made up your mind how you are going to approach this situation. Best of luck with it

It's always interesting that if someone else asks you do to something for them, ask them to help you with something else first. That usually shows their true colors.

I've always been very cordial to everyone at work and that's why so much work has been piled on me because I'm a "yes" person who never complains or says anything bad out of fear of losing the job. It's pretty clear from my thread. If I was a bully going around complaining about co-workers, do you think I'd be treated like a doormat?

If the managers have a problem with me saying no to absorbing more work at this particular time, then they can go ahead and check everything they've staffed me on. It's the result of their own doing at the end of the day.

This person has been well-known for creating drama in the workplace and someone warned me about their behaviour way before this incident. There's been complaints from other team mates about him, long before this. There was an incident last year involving him and someone else which ended up creating some severe tension in the team for a little while. It was bad.

I think I've made it fine with close to 10 years of work experience, so I'm not a newbie who doesn't know how to operate in a corporate setting.

Also - no one is a saint. Everyone has had a couple of co-workers whose way of working / work ethic didn't align with theirs. It doesn't mean you'll go around bullying them at the office. I'd be very suspicious of anyone who tells me they've always liked every single co-worker they've ever had.

That's it. A couple of my co-workers are quick to ask for help but never return the favour. So you end up trapped in a cycle where you are forced to help them out but when you need help, there's no one there. That's part of the issue. My performance review is filled with compliments about me being a "team player" and how "enthusiastic" I am to help others, but no one has ever returned the favour. When you ask for help and you're told "I'm too busy for this" or "I have other priorities", that's your answer.

Do you think you are 100% in the right here OP? Genuine question, just a yes or no?

If a mod drops by here - appreciate if we can now close this thread. I think we've covered it all.

• Advertisement

Your logic that you should say yes to all requests, even where its a vexatious request, is nonsense.

That wasn't the logic...clearly you missed it ;-)

The OP is too proud to admit to the possibility of any fault on her part.

Unless we aren't allowed to call this out for fear of hurting feelings?

There was no logic to miss.

The thread is about how to deal with a difficult co-worker. Not to psychoanalysis the OP.

Nonsense, challenging an opinion in the first place does not equate to psychoanalysis. How dramatic

The challenge and opinion should have relevance to thread subject. If someone keep hounding someone for help, when #1 they shouldn't need any and #2 the person can't help them. The problem is not the people they are asking. But the person asking the question.

Completely relevant in every case. Uncomfortable? Sure but relevant and in the long run arguably more helpful then just telling someone what the want to hear. And incorrect, the problem is the overall process not the people. Processes are there to manage peoples expectations in the workplace. It always amazes me to see how some people seem to take things so personally while looking to blame individuals instead of taking a look at the larger picture.

The larger picture is there no process, no management, no metrics. Ironically you're trying to blame the individual (the OP) here and make it personal. Certainly the OP should learn to not let the attention seeker trigger them.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

Agree, a management & process issue. If anything is irrelevant its blaming her colleague in the first place.

Nonsense, I've challenged the points made and in no way made this personal. But I understand how that can be misunderstood when emotions come into play.

Totally agree on your last point, all the more reason not to just appease the OP.

• Advertisement

The OP is not blaming their colleague. They want to know how to deal with the nuisance of their colleague.

Appeased the OP lol. Almost all (if not all) can have told the OP they need stand up for themselves.  

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement