Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I shall let the Minister know, he'll be delighted to have your blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

How will a crew of 20 odd work. I'd have thought there would be 15 ratings needed between seamen, mechs and comms. Doesn't leave a lot for supply, NCOs and officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Minister Coveney described their purchase as an interim measure.

The above is from the rte article. Are these just till we get the MCM vessels?

According to the media release, there is a year of remedial work and certification to take place in New Zealand prior to handover. That gives Naval operations more than enough time to make decisions and get facilities in place.

I don't see what possible value a Mortar would offer. The two 12.7mm and maybe an added 20mm up forward, taken from the Peacocks or Eithne, or maybe even a 30mm Bushmaster, which the Royal Navy have modified for service on the River Class PVs with remote fire control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Thank you. He rang me a couple of days ago about this and I gave him the nod to proceed.

Like I said, there is no mortar, that references the earlier Lake class not the current ships we are talking about.

I’m going to go with, we aren’t getting the MCM vessels tbh.

I dont know i think the russians have changed everything esp with the public

Ideally you are right, but even if we move to anything close to LoA3 I see a few major issues, first is of course everything else, particularly the AC capital needs are going to be weighed against further new investment in the NS, second the relative youth of these two hulls are going to be held up as reasons why they can stay in use for 15+ years, thirdly even assuming the DOD manages to start managing multiple large scale procurements at the same time, by the time the MRV is now likely to be delivered, the 50s replacement will need to get underway (so can the NS/DOD manage two classes at the same time as well as the Army and AC projects?) and lastly for MCM duties that’s experience and a knowledge base that needs constant training, just look at the NATO standing groups. Even with a shift and talk about moving from our current farce of neutrality, NATO is still very much opposed, yet virtually everyone else will be focused on NATO activities.

no I think like many Irish “interim” solutions, this might end up a permanent solution to the Peacock replacement.

• Advertisement

Hope we drop this daft idea of namin them after poets etc. I suggest LE Erskine Childers and LE Michael Collins. Doubt if anybody here will agree with me on that! Otherwise how about Irish Rivers or Cities?

I think we should call them after landmarks in Northern Ireland.

LÉ Lough Erne and Lough Neagh.

Or LÉ Enniskillen and LÉ City of Derry.

Maybe that would be too much mischief.

Rivers and lakes aren't too controversial though, call them Liffey and Shannon or Corrib and Sheelin

If they were to call them after people, it would be nice, given the week thats in it, to call them Tom Crean and Ernest Shackleton, both great Irish seafarers and explorers.

Love to see Jeffrey’s response to that, it perhaps it’s a bit too much mischief alright. I’d prefer if the MRV got the Tom Crean or Ernest Shackleton name tbh, but rovers or lakes would be fine I would think and be a nice connection back to their New Zealand days.

Make a shortlist and get the public to vote online? Quite like the explorers idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

New Irish Research ship to be called Tom Crean. Already in late stage of construction in Spain.

Ernest Shackleton is currently available though, as the UK Antarctic research ship bearing his name was sold and renamed in 2019.

I dont think naming a Óglaigh na hÉireann vessel after a Knight of the British Enpire would work!

Maybe something modern for the 2 IPVs such LE Podge & LE Rodge😁

They now have a year to get a base operational for them. It should be enoght time!

I am going to go with the glass half full and hope they will make the right choices

I’m going with glass half empty and will be pleasantly surprised if I’m wrong.

We named our only military airbase after a CMG holder, so why not?

I'm quite keen on Larbres suggestion of fitting a bushmaster chain gun on the Lakes. God knows they need some weaponry as the have bugger all at the moment.

Ah but he was a hero in irish folklore.

It would be easier to go back to irish female names.

Could we see irish crews going out to NZ to get experience with the two boats they still operate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

fitting them with a decent drone to extend their ISTAR capabilities and patrol range would be far more beneficial

Irish female names were boring and meaningless to most.

We could re-use Setanta and Ferdia, the most noble of Celtic mythology figures.

Or perhaps Ireland's great Kings, Brian Boru and Rory O'Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Disappointing to see that millions is being spent on these boats at the other side of the globe, i presume that there will be a team from the irish navy based in new Zealand for the year to oversee the work?

Why is it disappointing? We are picking up two very good boats barely used at a very good price that are ideal for the irish sea

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ancientmariner

Nice to see the acquisition of two IPC's taking the slapstick approach for some. We had the experience of going to Gibraltar and bringing home Banba and Fola ( CMS's). The IPC's are to undergo refit and possibly re-arm before being transported home from NZ. The duration of refit could be more than 6 months and a further couple of months to work-up crews. Initially key personnel will have to be there from the outset to supervise refit and get to grips with the General Arrangements and ship systems. Transported implies that they will be freighted home on a submersible transporter . The GUN is mentioned as an Auto 30mm or 40mm. We shall see in due course. The big adventure is to come home on their bottoms East or West with a few RNZN embedded.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The second of Norway's three new coastguard vessels has arrived from Romania for fit-out at a Norwegian shipyard. All three are expected to cost $617m, but are ice strengthened and designed to patrol and operate in the very worst conditions possible.

Design and features of Jan Mayen-class vessel

The coast guard ship will feature an ice-strengthened hull and will have an overall length of 136.4m, a beam of 22m and a draft of 6.2m. The full load displacement of the vessel will be 9,800t. The ship will have the capacity to accommodate up to 100 people.

The vessel can accommodate a AW101 size rotorcraft on stern deck while its hangar can house two NH90s. It will also feature hospital facilities and operation rooms for supporting both military and civilian operations.

A telescopic TBD-10000L davit system and two PLR-5003KV units will be installed on each vessel. Both the units will have the capability to handle fast rescue boats (FRBs) of up to 8.5m-long. The davits will be winterised for full functionality in lower temperatures up to -25°C.

The ship will also feature a wagon-based boat transfer system on deck-mounted rails, which integrates components of the MissionEase multi-boat transfer system. It will also have the ability to house two special-purpose rigid-hull inflatable boats (RHIBs).

The Jan Mayen vessels will incorporate a 9LV fire control system (FCS) which helps the vessel to detect, monitor and combat threats, with unprecedented accuracy.

Weapon systems

The multi-role ship will be equipped with a main gun and machine guns. It can also provide storage support for torpedoes and mines for anti-submarine warfare (ASW) helicopters.

Navigation and communication systems aboard Jan Mayen-class

The Jan Mayen-class coastguard vessel will be installed with a range of navigation systems, including Marins Series inertial navigation system (INS), Quadrans gyrocompass and Netans navigation data distribution and computation system (NDDCS).

The navigation equipment will allow the vessel to continuously receive reliable navigation information and address the cybersecurity challenges faced by the naval forces.

The ships will feature a TactiCall integrated naval communication system, which will enable the crew to control both internal and external communications.

Sensors/radars

The coast guard ships will be equipped with SS1221 sonars which will have the capability of detecting torpedoes or other small objects.

The vessels will be fitted with TRS-3D radars that also include a secondary radar MSSR 2000 I for identification-friend-or-foe (IFF). The three-dimensional TRS-3D naval radar can locate and track both aerial and sea targets and safeguard on-board helicopters.

Engine and performance

The vessel will be powered by a diesel-electric propulsion system which will allow it to sail at a maximum speed of 22k. The endurance of the ship will be more than 60 days.

https://www.naval-technology.com/projects/jan-mayen-class-vessels/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Disappointing that some of the work cannot be done in Ireland 16 to 19 million nz dollars being spent to bring them back up to scratch, at least 12 months before they are shipped to Ireland.

Superb ships in my opinion. Would be a great addition to the Irish Fleet. Two would be fabulous. I wonder would these be classed as frigates?

Who would do the work here? We have no shipbuilders, let alone those who have built ships from Aluminium. They have the original builders nearby. Better off let them look after reclassification. Its not something you want someone to "have a go" at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ancientmariner

A couple of comments. The Norwegian CG ships are built to a standard to withstand extreme arctic conditions up to the ice line. Their general outfit is a modern version of the Phillips- Signaal system on the abandoned LE EITHNE which was the DA-05 AWR and the Thales LIOD Mk1 including Infra red feature, IFF, and Laser Range finding. Israeli attack craft had the LIOD Mk1 later upgraded to Mk2.

The Lake class are biggish boats for their stated tonnage. The clue is in their Friction Stir welding construction meaning they are of Aluminium or Alloy construction. We shall see and must learn to take care of SW and dissimilar metals and metal nobility. The volume per tonne could make them noisy pounders.

Advertisement