If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turntable options

Options
  • 15-02-2021 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am a novice in this area but recently picked up some vinyls although I don't have a turntable.  I'm interested in picking one up and wanted to see the feasibility of connecting it to what we have currently.  We have this old Denon RCD-M39DAB (picture attached) which is mostly used with an echo dot on the analog in so we can make use of the speakers.

Could you recommend a turntable that I could integrate into this system?  Would it make use of the analog in meaning I have to disconnect it?  Perhaps the alexa could be moved to the usb port with an appropriate cable?

Also my brother in law mentioned a pre-amp.  Would it be needed with this setup?  Have not budgeted for the pre-amp currently but was thinking £2-300 on the turntable.

Thanks in advance,

Woden

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Woden wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a novice in this area but recently picked up some vinyls although I don't have a turntable.  I'm interested in picking one up and wanted to see the feasibility of connecting it to what we have currently.  We have this old Denon RCD-M39DAB (picture attached) which is mostly used with an echo dot on the analog in so we can make use of the speakers.

Could you recommend a turntable that I could integrate into this system?  Would it make use of the analog in meaning I have to disconnect it?  Perhaps the alexa could be moved to the usb port with an appropriate cable?

Also my brother in law mentioned a pre-amp.  Would it be needed with this setup?  Have not budgeted for the pre-amp currently but was thinking £2-300 on the turntable.

Thanks in advance,

Woden
    Hi Woden.

Thanks for the post.

The DM39 is a great little unit and you can still use it as long as the turntable has a built in phono stage.

You would get a decent turntable for £200-£300.

You could check out the Audio Technica LP120XUSB priced at £249 (Built in pre amp)
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-205133-audio-technica-lp120xusb-black-usb-direct-drive-turntable.aspx

Denon have the DP300 priced at £299 (Built in pre amp)
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201864-denon-dp300-black-turntable.aspx

Without a Phono stage there is the excellent Dual CS440 priced at £279
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14257-dual-cs440-black-fully-automatic-turntable.aspx

A separate phono stage would cost £64.95
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201010-project-phonobox-mm-mm-phono-pre-amp.aspx

These would connect into one of the phono input on the DM39, this would mean that you would have to disconnect Alexa each time to use the turntable.
    You could also maybe use a Phono switch (Not something that we stock). You would connect both the turntable and Alexa to it and then one phono cable to the DM39. This would then allow you to switch between the two.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hi Kenny,

Many thanks for this. Will read some reviews on the  items and come back to you cheers!

Woden

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Woden wrote: »
    Hi Kenny,

Many thanks for this. Will read some reviews on the  items and come back to you cheers!

Woden
    No problem at all Woden.

Let me once you have done some reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Folks this is well out of date but just to say thanks and my partner ended up picking me up a the Denon from one of your London stores as a gift a while back. Vinyl collection is slowly expanding...

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi woden,

Thanks for letting us know! Delighted to hear you got sorted in the London store.

Hope you're enjoying your vinyl collection!

David

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.