Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No cars like speed, it's not just EVs.

They all get less efficient the faster they are driven.

Hence the reason all motorists are being advised to drive slower now to save petrol, and why Germany is considering putting a conservative speed limit on the autobahn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I found with the Leaf24 there's a massive jump in consumption going from 110 to 120. I'm not sure how the newer one is for aerodynamics but I imagine it's roughly the same

The Leaf is also annoying because it'll start to rapidgate at the fast chargers. Sounds like @innrain is already starting to see that

It's fine for Ireland because you can get to most of the country with 1 rapid charge, but going across Europe would get a bit annoying

Still less annoying than the rental desk charging for petrol in an EV. Nice bit of price gouging going on there 🙄

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

The old adage of ‘never blame on corruption what you can blame on incompetence’ is more likely at play here. The vast majority of people know less than zero about EVs.

True enough, I'm guessing it's something they try to add on to every rental like the reduced excess

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This is true for all EVs. That said, some manufacturers appreciate this and have made their cars extremely aerodynamic, so the reduction of range is far less (Tesla / Hyundai, etc.). Others seem to have ignored it like Nissan with the Leaf, resulting is such bad range reduction that you will see most Leafs driving on motorways at speeds far less than the speed limit. The term LeafSpeed (about 88km/h) has been coined more than once in the EV world 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Are there any Genesis Car models on the road here? Do they even sell them in Ireland?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Genesis are Hyundai (same relationship as Lexus/Toyota), none here officially but you can UK import if so inclined

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

GV60 for the win....... not sure if Paddy gets any.

Saw one on the road midweek. Very nice. Premium quality noticeable even at a glance. Raging now didn't take any pics.

You could import a G80 Sport 3.3 V6 twin turbo. Imagine the range anxiety with that bad boy!

Post edited by Busman Paddy Lasty on

@Busman Paddy Lasty - Good looking motor, I bet the one you saw was on UK plates? Over here it would cost the same to tax as 20 Teslas. And about €10k per year in petrol at €3 per litre (2023 prices) 😁 And that's after you paid the €10k VRT bill for bringing it in 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

The G80 I took those pics myself. The GV60 was on blue licence plates which is what BEVs get over here in good Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just watched the above on the Nio ET7. Rumoured to be €57K in Germany and that looks great value to me.

I know they're coming to Norway first but I wonder when we will see any in Ireland.

Just watched that too, @TitianGerm , great minds and all that 😁

Deserves it's own thread:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's probably to big for me but assuming that's €60-65k here then maybe the ET5 comes as well but at €40-45k? That'd leave room for an ET6 in the €50-55k range.

I'd be all over the ET5 at that sort of money.

If they released a small hatchback at €30-35k it'd fly out of showrooms.

Please, please please come to Ireland and be reasonably priced. It would be a serious market disruptor and would force Tesla, Cupra, VW etc all to reduce prices which would be brilliant for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I have ordered a home charger and is to be installed well after next. But I'm wondering if it's worth the cost to me of 800 euro + electricity usage or cancel and use the public ones?

I bought an Ioniq 5 58kw on Thursday and have charged it at lidl for free (20%) to see how to use it and today at esb 50kw charger (50%) The duration was 00:53:11 and the energy consumed was 10.270.

The cost for the energy was €(2.75. In addition, a €4.60 overstay fee was applied.) I won't go over 44 mins again. I usually comute between 350 and 400km a week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If your doing that much a week, Yes get one.

Also get a day/night meter. Charge on night rate. at 9-10c/kwh. Also then its charged and ready to go in the morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Did you apply for the €600 grant?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

You loaded 10kWh in 53 minutes? I'm afraid you plugged in the wrong connector, you n00b. Sorry, couldn't resist 😂

You connected the AC fast charger instead of the CCS DC fast charger. Your car can only charge at 16A on 3 phase, so max. 11kW. On a 50kW CCS charger, your car can charge at 50kW.

You definitely want s home charger, cheapest EV night rate is around 6.9c/kWh, less than one quarter the cost of a DC charger

At those rates the charger will pay for itself in no time

There's also a major convenience factor to charging at home, you know the charger will always be there available

If there's a free charger nearby that's convenient then by all means go for it, but I'm not sure I'd want to depend on it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Quick question, are electric bicycles & scooters road legal in Ireland?

There's my electric bike thread on this forum that explains it all. TL;DR - all scooters are illegal on the roads in Ireland. All electric bikes are illegal on the roads in Ireland with the following exception for bikes that have all of the below:

1. a motor of max 250W
    2. are only propelled once you pedal yourself (no throttle is allowed, only pedal assist)
    3. have a maximum speed of 25km/h at which the motor is allowed to help. You can go faster if you like, but the motor is not allowed to help anymore

The bikes you buy in shops conform to this. On paper at least - most have will show more power than 250W if you would test them, but they won't get you into trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Perfect, thanks.

Getting loads of them being advertised on the Irish EV Owners Buy & Sell page but wanted to be sure they're illegal before I cull the ad.

They are not illegal to use on private property, so I'd be careful to remove any ads. Also there are thousands of technically illegal scooters and eBikes on the roads and the Gardai are not enforcing any of this, with new legislation probably in the pipeline to bring the law up to more modern times. If I were you I'd take a relaxed approach here too...

I did, I got 3 quotes and all in and around 1400 (originally had 1500 by mistake). The one in going for had a 2 week lead time and the other 2 were around 2 months here in Sligo.

Post edited by T-Bird on

Thanks, makes sense. To be honest I can't comprehend the numbers yet, hence the post. It's all happened a bit too quick for me lol.

🤣🤣 I'm certainly a nOOb but I thought it was the right one and thought it said ccs dc and used up all the charger port including the section not used when using type 2. I'll have to have another look next time.

CCS is the right one, and indeed it uses up all your charger port. If you were only getting about 11kW from it, there is something seriously wrong though! Try another one if you can find one near you and report back.

Well wear on the Ioniq 5. The base model is one of a handful or so of EVs that are actually good value right now. My sister in law got one at the start of the year.

Thanks, I'll check out next time and will report back. I wanted the base model but there were none left, so got the next one up and it was there the next day. It's a best of a thing and is a fair jump from the Kona and Leaf I was looking at the week before.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

For reference this is the one you want to use when DC fast charging

I used another one last night whilst on way to Dublin

Your charging session at Applegreen Enfield Services, M4 (Eastbound, 2km before Jnct 9), Kildare has ended. The duration was 00:24:53 and the energy consumed was 22.790.

The cost for the energy was €(6.11)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'd be interested to hear more people's experiences on charging.

T-bird, was that a full charge?

What is the best way to find prices of a charge at home and on the road?

Advertisement