Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I can see us bearing them at the Etihad but losing the Premier league somewhere else. Possibly goal difference.

If we go 100%. From here until the end of the season, I'll be amazed. That's not a comment on us, it's a comment on the schedule.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Amazingly I somehow forgot we are playing them at their place! So Wednesday is the second toughest away game we have left.

I agree though, to go through the rest of the season winning every week is a very tall order but we've done similar runs before in other seasons so let's hope we can do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

2 goals conceded in the 8 match league winning run and we still have pundits droning on about high lines and Trents poor defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder has Salah and his agent already got a deal in place with PSG for a move in the summer to replace Mbappe and maybe Messi.

It's the most probable move for him tbf. Whether it's decided or not it's another thing. Hopefully not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The diaz signing indicates that mane or salah are expected to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

If he's watching the game today they might have second thoughts. Open revolt from the stands for the club leaders, Neymar, Messi and weirdly, Gini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Coady with the Wolves goal at Goodison park:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

High profile players go to PSG, then regret it even though they get huge money. They'll walk the league, but struggle in CL due to lack of competition in French League. Repetition forms habit, and they play at 55% in League and win 5-0, so the lack of commitment in CL is evident year in year out, they have no resolve, no steel when the chips are down.

If we sell Salah we don't have to field 10 men, some make it sound like it weakens us, we'll bring in a 30m pound player who will fill that role, and put away the same chances that fall to Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Everton now level on points with third from the bottom Watford, they're in serious trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Over the last 10 years or so, we’ve lost Torres, Gerrard, Suarez & Coutinho, yet we kept improving. Mo will be 30 this year - if he goes, we’ll be fine.

Everton really needed to win that game today. Looks like they are going down. WH away next, then Man U, then Liverpool, then Chelsea, then Leicester, then Brentford, then Arsenal, Game Over . Can't see them winning any of the remaining games, while Watford and Burnley have a better run in.

Gerrard took over Villa in a similar position as Lampard took over Everton.

Rafa had them at least safe, but that wasn't good enough it seems. Enjoy the Championship , shame

Mo has been fantastic. Klopp had a part to play in him being the player he has become. He'd be top notch for another two years.

But, I'd not break the bank for him. I also believe (like Mo) other players would expect more. Its human nature.

Sucks, but they need to hold the line

If Salah does go in the summer that money needs to be used to get Saka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Absolutely.

I mentioned it here a week or 2 ago, he's been brilliant. His side constantly gets targeted due to his perceived weakness and the fact that Virgil is on the left mainly, but his defending, especially in 1v1 situations, has really been very good in the last while.

Not bad for Engerland's, is it 4th choice RB 🙄.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Arsenal away on Wednesday is gonna be difficult. They are in great form now. 5 wins in a row.

Has there been any update on Salah today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭antimatterx

He's the replacement. The man is going to be unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭antimatterx

What is Sakas contract situation like?

• Advertisement

He signed a new deal about 18 months ago. I think it was running out at the time too Liverpool were linked at the time and there was talks that Klopp really likes him.

It expires in 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Diaz, Jota, Sako would be a frontline to frighten any defence, just thinking about makes me less concerned about Salah leaving, but only slightly.

If there is a plan in place to sign him, what manager would not want to be in charge of that team? Please Lord, make Klopp stay, I’ll go to church every Sunday if you grant me this wish.

Saka's contract ends in June 2024

So far he and his representatives haven't enggaged with Arsenal who want to tie him down according all the pods I've listened to over the last while.

There is talk he will wait till the middle of next season to make his mind up and see what progressing Arsenal are making and to see what kind of offers come as Arsenal at the moment don't want to offer him to much money after being stung giving out big wages to keep players.

FSG again looking to buy a Brazilian club team after losing there last bid for a team to the Real Ronaldo.

They are also looking to buy an NBA team

I've got one sell Salah to PSG for £100m then use that £100m to pay Mbappe £500k a week for then next four years 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Makes the chat around Liverpool being sold less likely. They're building an empire.

Some folks online with a 1000 subs make 100k a month, we have 100m fans and make zero from them through social media. Such a huge untapped source of income, we need a social media marketing expert on the team, not a throw in expert. Need to hit up Neil Patel, or Ryan Deiss, get us taking a pound a month of these 100m fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

That club is in trouble, no matter who the manager is. The team is a mess and to compound the problems they allowed Rafa to take some control and get rid of people, only to fire him. Then they appointed a manager who has not earned the job in any way and he was seen as better, only because he wasn't an ex-Liverpool manager. To think they got upset when Benitez criticised Moyes for playing like a small team, which they did in that match. They sat back and played for a draw like a minnow.

When Benitez left he said the problems are severe, add in funding problems and they may just become a small club with a "new" stadium that only had foundations laid.

We have won 8 in a row in the league. Yes we lost against Inter but the achieved what we needed, to progress. So it is going to be a tough game, but this is still the same Arsenal team that is young and learning and have shown that when they come up against better teams they tend to be a bit brittle.

What Arteta is doing is ensuring they win against teams that are worse than them. The next step will be competing against the top 4, which they are still struggling with. They are in a good place, but we should have too much for them with a extra days rest as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I know its obvious but first goal is absolutely vital ,

If we get Arsenal will think here we go again if we get it they will have a huge boost & can think they can shut us out,

I predict Jota & VVd to score ,2-1

Pearce is reporting that FSG are prepared to make Salah the highest paid player in the history of the club however they will not demolish the clubs wage structure for one player.

He say Salash hasn’t had his head turned by a premier league rival it’s about money, respect and Recognition for Salah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

So £300k a week as opposed to the £400k he wants?

If it doesn't affect his form on the pitch i think we'll be fine.

Some big calls for Wednesday

Who do we go with as the front 3, Frimino been out of form & Jota has had dip in form since his injury but both of them always score v Arsenal, Mane been playing very well as the CF

Id also play Konate instead of Matip if he is fit, Arsenal will try overload the gap between Trent & Matip with quick agile players ,Matip really struggled last time we played Arsenal away & when Konate came on he completely nullified the problem ,

Hoping for a Midfield of Fab, Hendo Thiago, but also think Naby in decent form ,

The weekend great time for Firmino & Elliot and the likes to get game time ,

That sounds like PR from the club

Is he not already the highest paid layer in our history ? if not he must be only 10 or 20 k a week off,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Or just the truth? Liverpool have been successful in the Klopp era because of the system that's in place. We should protect the system at all costs. No player is worth breaking it for. If Salah wants to go elsewhere for more money, sell him for the highest amount possible and reinvest in the squad like we did with Coutinho, Sterling etc. I hope he stays. They should make him the best-paid player at the club. But he should not be paid two or three times as much as the likes of Allison, VVD, Fabiniho etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Personally I'm comfortable enough with the Salah contract situation.

I would be devastated to see him leave but I understand the stance of the club. Clearly the club are not trying to force him out and assuming the reports are true he is being offered a very good wage. If he is given what he wants and I assume it is much higher than what other players are earning then it sets a dangerous precedence. We want to attract and keep the best players and that involves paying them top dollar but if we go too far we end up being like Man Utd & Arsenal and end up with a bloated squad full of overpaid and overrated players who are not motivated and impossible to move on. It is hard to see that happen under Klopp but what happens when he moves on in a couple of years as is his plan?

Mo Salah is our best player but I'm sure even he will agree that is as much of a result of great manager and a system/teammates that get the best out of him as much as he natural talent. He is much more replaceable than Luis Suarez was when he left. Suarez was a level above where his teammates and the club was at that time and it was a massive blow when he left because it was always going to cause the team to regress. With Salah, it would undoubtedly weaken us but not catastrophically.

He is clever enough to know that the grass is not always greener. Where would he go? The only clubs that could afford him are Man City, PSG, Newcastle & maybe Real Madrid. I'm sure Real are probably attractive to him but they will surely get Mbappe. He'd probably go to PSG but he only needs to look at Messi to see that probably isnt all its cracked up to be either. He surely wouldnt go to Newcastle would he? That would be just purely for money. Hard to see a move to City happening either but you never know. I would give him the benefit of the doubt and say it is as much to do with status rather than money. He is within his rights to say if so and so is on this much then surely I am worth this also. Fair enough but I am content enough if the club decide not to start paying out £400k to any player at this moment in time. Things can change quickly in football, just ask Man Utd.

I hope to God that it does get sorted and he signs a contract and we get to enjoy a few more years of a top class player but the longer and more public it starts to get the less expectation of have of it getting sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Salah won't replicate that magic elsewhere. Like alot of our players, he fits our system like a glove.

Our team is better than the sum of its parts. Gini found out the hard way that his effectiveness was magnified within Klopps system.

I think Salah will go on a free, the days of big names going for huge transfer fees (especially when into last 3 months) are gone. If I'm his agent, there is no benefit to him having some club spend a massive fee to Liverpool, when the bulk of it can go straight to the player/agent in 12 months.

Saka is a good young player, but we will need to replace Salah's goals.

If he wants to leave I won't be too upset. Fantastic player but we'll be fine without him.

Once Klopp is staying I'll be happy enough.

The Athletic reporting we are signing Celtic 16 year old wonder kid winger Ben Doak who has already made his senior debut in January for them

No Salah in training today, so the injury must be somewhat significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Sadio was making comments recently about the greed in football isnt for him or his beliefs,miles away from how he was raised etc, i wonder is he fed up with mo's stance of gimme more dolla..or footballers in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I don't think the club should break the wage structure for Salah, but, they've also gotten him on the cheap for the last few years. I honestly think Salah wants to stay and some deal will be worked out to keep him without breaking the wage structure, maybe some kind of once off payment or massive incentives to hit certain realistic targets, might even have it written in his contract that he stays as highest paid player by a certain %. There are a good few players at United, City, Chelsea and a few other clubs who are on significantly more than Salah, but, aren't fit to place his boots.

The club will go on without Salah, as it will without any player or manager, but, Salah's goals are going to be difficult to replace, similar to when Suarez left. Where would we be without Salah's goals this season, if he's not there who's scoring the goals he normally scores. Mane and Jota might add a few more, Firmino doesn't really score heavily and while Diaz looks great is he likely to match Salah's strike rate or is any player we sign likely to match it.

Post edited by Girly Gal on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mane definitely doesn't care to much about money and from what I've read about him he gives most of his wealth away though projects in Senegal.

Torres goals would be difficult to replace.

Suarez goals would be difficult to replace.

But we keep doing it. I'd have faith in Klopp and Co to keep signing players to fit the system.

Ftr, if Salah leaves I doubt he'll ever match the football heights he's hit for Liverpool.

I think £300k a week a fair weekly wage a for Salah it makes him the hightest paid palyer at the club no doubt.

Then add the bonuses to make up the other £100k a week that will be paid at the end of each season depending.

£1m for a 20 goal league season

£1m for a title £800k for second £700k fir third etc

£1m for a Champions League, £750k for runner up £500k for a semi final etc.

£1m for Ballon D'or.

£500k for a FA Cup

Continue to earn it on the pitch.

Torres goals had dried up by the time he left. Suarez 's goals weren't replaced, it's the main reason we finished 7th or 8th the following year. It wasn't until Salah arrived that Suarez's goals were eventually replaced, that was a few seasons later. If it takes that long to replace Salah's goals, Klopp will be gone and this squad of players will be gone past their best.

But they were replaced in time. Tbf, the club was in a different place, so it's probably not a fair comparison.

I think between Diaz, Mane and Jota we'd score plenty. Diaz for me looks the real deal. If Salah leaves there's a fair chance someone else will come in too.

We're not a one man team thankfully, like we were under Rodgers for example.

A lot of people were questioning City not replacing Aguero. They like us, have a style and system. Good recruitment and a proper manager and things fall into place. I won't lose sleep if any player leaves. When Klopp goes though I'll need to sleep with the light on for a few weeks 😄

Suarez goals were replaced when Klopp came in and bought Mane whose goals got the club Champions League football and then Salah came in.

Rodgers replaced Suarez with Mario, Rickie Lambert & Benteke what kind of manager picks those 3 players to replace the best player in the world at that time.

Bobby was only signed because Edwards thankfully ingored Rodgers and his coaching staff didn't rate Bobby as a footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Besides the goals & assists from Salah, he is very rarely injured. Should he miss the Arsenal game then it is the first game he has missed since 2019 because of an injury.....that is worth a lot given the number of games we play.

Arsenal will be really tough, they have won 5 on the spin, Arteta who apparently was closed to being fired twice now has a young, hungry team and should have plenty of money to spend in the summer.....at least it will make it much harder for Utd to get top 4 going forward:)

C'mon Zaha.....

Another point about Salah that shouldn't be dismissed is that other players will get more opportunities to score as the opposition try to focus more or Salah, also the psychological effect he has on both our team and the opposition, these are difficult things to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I want Salah to stay, but Klopp is more important. If breaking the bank for Mo upsets the squad, I can deal with getting a good fee for him and replacing him.

Advertisement