Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It's all about name calling and boogy men coming to censor your speech because you're not woke.

A constant regurgitation of right wing talking points

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I did enjoy the left wing ultra conservative bit. It was like a satire from Brass eye.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

remember when Brass Eye was first shown and we used to think how ridiculous and overblown it was? good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The freedom to rip stupid people off with terrible scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Oh no a cartoon! Well that's me shown the error of my ways. To hell with reality ,verifiable facts and basic cop on; I'm on the tangerine tinted MAGA grift train now. Take my money God King Trump and protect me from whatever I think is after me today or whatever it is you tell me is after me today.

Post edited by relax carry on on

• Advertisement

how does that saying go? "Accuse others of that of which you are guilty"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump saying that supporters of his should be ready to lay down their lives to stop critical race theory being taught in schools!

In the land of freedom and free speech, the potential GOP candidate for 2024, is asking his followers to fight to the death!

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1502811357535776772?t=WAQETnQ0FH2AuN7vs1zRdQ&s=19

he doesn't even know what critical race theory is. neither do his supporters

I know, but he is asking them to fight to stop it, whatever it is.

To the death. Teaching people ideas is now so dangerous that people need to be willing to sacrifice their lives.

This is a country that apparently has free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭rolling boh

might be better in the long run let him run next time and lose again so hopefully that is him done . He has lost the popular vote both times so very hard to see him gettting votes outside his base which is large enough but not big enough to win out .He lost last time to a very poor canditate .

• Advertisement

Freedom of speech =freedom to tell lies is the motto of the Putinistas. That’s exactly their rationale for censorship also.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You mean the GQP? As they are the only ones actively supporting Putin and his lies. They're experienced at it of course after doing it for so long with the former guy.

Not exactly related to the thread, just a vague statement. Meanwhile Trump constantly derided the mainstream media, used accusations of fake news and continues to praise Putin. Meanwhile Russia equally derides western media and pushes the fake news claims.... You don't seem to want to address any of that though.

In fact Trump won't say a bad word about Putin. Any reason you won't discuss the fact he continues to fawn over Putin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If people spent their time calling out Trump's lies, there'd be no time to do anything else. You could actually create full-time employment for people out of that one topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

That statement is too broad and doesn't relate to anything I said. We are specifically discussing politics here so stay on topic. Everybody would agree there should be consequences for extreme hate speech or whatever.

The issue here is Trump faced "consequences" because left leaning big tech weren't happy with the sheer popularity of the podcast or the demographic it was reaching. So they pulled it. Thats not consequence for free speech. Thats straight up hard-line conservative censorship.

You either believe in the first amendment / free speech or you don't. Everybody has the right to say something moronic. You have a totalitarian attitude about what should happen to a person who utters something you don't approve of. Im certain you never even watched the podcast but are fine or even approve that it was deleted , am I right?

Expression of thought is so valuable because what are we are but a collection of thoughts. When we are forced to conform to a norm and become a nameless faceless sheeplike drone, its stripping us of our individuality and our humanity. Politically correct word policing is destroying the very lifeblood of who we are, and with it democracy, because it inhibits people from acting the way they would normally act, and being themselves, therefore robbing the very essence of freedom. Telling people what to think and how to act is Conservative, allowing people the freedom to make up their own minds and act and think the way they want is Liberal.

Whatever mutation has occurred among people who identify as left these days caused them to be brutally anti -free speech and thus they ceased being the good guys a long time ago.

Or, the platform has rules about disinformation, and his answers blatantly propagated those rules and the hosts never pulled him up on it.

The channel has a duty of care to the users of the platform to not willingly and knowingly spread disinformation.

They failed, by bot calling Trump out on the lies, and so the video was removed.

Nothing to do with free speech.

The video can of course be posted elsewhere, like Truth Cental or whatever his platform is.

So their free speech is perfectly maintained, just not on the private channel.

He has expressed these thoughts before, and even his own DOJ head, and many in his own party, notvto mention the states themselves and the courts, have throughly debunked them yet he continues to spread the line. So either he is lying or he can't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It does seem to be a trait of those who remain loyal to trump that they won't or can't defend any of the lies but get offended by others who are doing something about the lies.

It's really pathetic and easily seen through.

(and of course the absolute sticking fingers in ears and covering of eyes of his putin support).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Complete horse radish. Politicians on both sides have and will always peddle some sort of misinformation. You act as if people have never questioned authority and called out lies , well they have , for many decades.

People are free to think for themselves. Coddling them from and controlling what they consume is the very definition of pro-censorship and and anti free speech. You are the very essence of an ultraconservative censor.

• Advertisement

this whole post is a lie of trumpian proportions.

So you think that YouTube, a private company not owned by the state, should be forced to put anything on their platform,

In terms of political lies, yes nearly all politicians will lie. But when they are caught in that lie they either retract it or resign.

Trump is doing neither. He has been asked not to peddle these lies, even by his own party, yet continues to do so.

YT have made it very clear that they deem the pushing of these lies to be a breach of their terms of use. Trump knows it, and the podcasters know it. Yet they failed to point out the lies during the interview.

Trump always seemed very upset about the press telling lies, even calling them the enemy of the people and refusing to answer their questions or appear on their channels. Do you deem Trump and these podcasters, do be the enemy of the people then?

Strange that both he, and you, seem to suddenly have such concern for this open ended freedom of speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Why do you keep bringing the First Amendment into a discussion about a YT video? What part of it do you not get? You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I feel like I’ve responded to this already.

Youtube, facebook and Twitter don’t have an ideological bias. They make money for their shareholders through advertising.

They don’t censor people, because they can’t. They ban people or remove content from their platforms entirely based on what will affect their bottom line.

On top of that, spreading lies isn’t protected by the first amendment. Libel and defamation laws still exist.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Cody montana

They said Covid was a hoax.

They said Russia would never invade.

They say climate change is fake.

They say vaccines don’t work.

They say the news is fake.

They praise Putin.

They attacked the Capitol.

They ban books.

The Republican Party is on the wrong side of every issue.

Fact check, True.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, you're o.k with teaching CRT in schools in the US? Because what more is the essence of coddling than banning books and teaching materials? And doing it by law, which makes it censorship.

As for politicians that lie, umm, this is the Trump thread. Now, he lied before he was a politician and now that he holds no elected office (you do agree he lost in 2020, right?) he's still lying. Care to take a go at this subset of the lies he told while President? https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/list/?speaker=donald-trump

That's just one of several sites. I think I recall the total number while in office closer to 30,000.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Why do so many of the people that prattle on about "Free Speech" and "The First Amendment" not understand what they actually mean?

The 1st amendment does not apply in any way shape or form to ANY decision taken by a private organisation about what rules they choose to have on the platforms they control.

They have terms and conditions that you agree to when you create an account with them , if you fail to adhere to those terms and conditions then they can decide to remove your content or suspend/cancel your account.

That's it , no more no less - No "Censorship" no "1st Amendment violations" or anything else. You failed to adhere to the private rules you agreed to when you signed up , end of story.

As others have said - It can be posted on Truth Social or Parler or Gettr or wherever they wish as long as it does not breach the rules of that platform.

Why is the concept of "following the rules you agreed to" seemingly such a complex idea for some people to grasp?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Always relevant. Repeatedly posted. Yet somehow it doesn't seem to sink in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump continues to plumb new depths when it comes to his utter obsequiousness for Putin.

Former President Donald Trump said there is "a lot of love" behind Russian President Vladimir Putin's efforts to make "his country larger" on Sunday as Russian troops continued to invade Ukraine.

Trump discussed the conflict during an appearance on Fox News host Jeanine Pirro's radio show Sunday. He said he believes Putin's ultimate goal is to eventually rebuild the Soviet Union, and he went on to explain what he believes to be Putin's mindset.

"You say, what's the purpose of this? They had a country. You could see it was a country where there was a lot of love and we're doing it because, you know, somebody wants to make his country larger or he wants to put it back the way it was when actually it didn't work very well," Trump said.

Aside from the comment making absolutely no sense whatsoever , where exactly has Putin shown "a lot of love" for anyone or anything?

Would that be the indiscriminate bombing of civilians ,or perhaps the murdering of Opponents and Journalists was really an act of love?

I genuinely cannot even begin to fathom how that mans brain functions , it is truly disturbing to imagine that he once led the United States and that there are those that want him to do so again.

• Advertisement

No only that but the same people admire Putin who does practice widespread censorship. Said censorship occasionally involving defenestration of those who speak out against him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement