Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling over Paint

Options
  • 13-03-2022 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

I'm getting mixed messages on this one. I plan to tile the bathroom walls in two small domestic bathrooms, currently the walls are painted with emulsion and are a mix of plastered blockwork and plasterboard, most tile sellers and most tilers advise that I will have tile adhesion issues if I tile over the paint and suggest that the paint layer be scraped off before tiles are applied, any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I think that the fair answer here is that you either will or you won't have issues due to adhesion. Nobody can answer that to be frank - and it's a wall too. Best scrape it back to a sound surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You've been given an answer by people experienced in the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Perhaps but not every tiler I've spoken to agrees with the others

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

Have you been told to paint a primer from a tile shop onto the painted walls. Then just simply tile straight onto that.

No they suggest stripping back the walls to the original surface and tiling on to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

Ask about primers in a tile shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

The emulsion paint is bonded on to the plaster. The paint is only capable of holding itself to the plaster. It is not capable of carrying the extra load of the tile adhesive and the tiles.

Take off the paint. Ensure the tile adhesive is on to the clean plaster surface.

Many thanks for all the replies

Advertisement