Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardwiring for backup generator

Options
  • 10-03-2017 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

After my third power cut of the year, I've decided to get a backup generator.

I'm having a manual change-over switch installed at the fusebox to isolate the mains when the generator is connected.

My question is about the 32amp connector that's being attached to the wall outside. Should this be a male/plug or female/socket? I'm inclined to thing that it should actually be male (ie with prongs) because if it's female, it means that the cable coming from the generator will be a shock risk if it became accidentally disconnected while the genny is running?

A male connector on the wall can't be a shock risk as it can never be connected to the mains, as it's only connected to the change-over switch..can it?

Comments anybody??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Your thinking is correct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yep it should be male.

The c/o switch should also be appropriately rated - i.e. a mechanical interlocked one that can't permit the opposite contact to close if the first one welds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The c/o switch is rated 125 amps, which i assume should be fine for a 6.5kw genny....

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

exaisle wrote:
    The c/o switch is rated 125 amps, which i assume should be fine for a 6.5kw genny....

More than adequate

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭slystallone

Hi,

Would you have a picture of the connector attached to wall outside?

Thinking of getting generator myself for same reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭jmreire

So (if I understand you right ) you will be using the 6.5 Kva Gen supplying the fusebox, and therefore the whole house. Do you think that it will be able to handle that kind of demand???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

He'd probably be switching a few things off before changing over

Ev charging shower ,immersion

The price of these as i wouldn't be using a cheap generator

I have a Honda/ Stephill 6.5 kVa, and I run it in the shed with a heavy cable supplying the house but then through extension leads to the individual appliances that I need at the time. I would not trust a 6.5 to power the whole house,,,,maybe something like 20 Kva would be OK, but to be sure, you would need an electrician to check it out.

You won't need 20kva as most supplies would be 12/16 kva and you won't even need that with a backup genny

I wouldn't be doing much more than you without the right equipment anyhow

Connect up essential appliances, well pump and freezer etc. and a bit of DIY emergency lighting is easy done these days with all the battery stuff on the market

As I mentioned, its possible to calculate to the exact Kva needed by having an assessment done. And that will take the guesswork out of it. But sign of the times is the nr of people now buying generators, the SIL is building an extension to his house, and there will be provision for a 15 Kva diesel generator built in, with automatic switching. He's in the IT business, and a blackout could mean serious trouble for him. To date he uses my 6.5 Kva set whenever needed. But a few years ago, when their Baby was small there was a power cut, and no way to cook baby food ( or anything else, that required electricity ) so it was a god send back then.

• Advertisement

What do you mean "sign of the times "

I thought the network was a lot more reliable these days

I suppose WFH could change things if IT equipment needed , another hidden cost there for workers

You can still run the IT off a small inverter generator

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No, the chances of power cuts are now at an all time high.

Intensive pressure on the stability of electricity supplies has forced market regulators to prolong the use of coal and oil to generate power. The move will compromise the State’s ability to meet ambitious climate targets laid down in law. But it is the inevitable outwork of supply struggling to catch up with surging demand, an act born of the simple need to keep the lights on. 

From this link:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/the-irish-times-view-on-ireland-s-electricity-supply-bracing-for-a-blackout-1.4688945

Ah ok wasn't aware , is this due to demand

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A number of factors including demand and moving from fossil fuels. Wind turbines are all well and good but they don't perform when the weather doesn't suit.

Also this makes for an interesting read:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40708817.html

Sure you can, and he had an inverter, but Murphy's Law being what it is, it would not work when he needed it, and so he borrowed mine, and all was well. But as I mentioned earlier, when the extension is being built, it will have provision for a 10-15 Kva diesel Generator. He is pretty clued in regarding electronics, and this is the Kva he reckons he will need, with built in excess. And yes, it does seem like blackouts for what ever reason, are becoming more and more frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

An obvious call-out, but an important one all of the same.

If you going down the genny route, make sure that the unit has a good quality sine-wave and regulation, preferably generated using an inverter and not the cheap and nasty middle-aisle or bottom of the import barrel rubbish which has a 3-step sine-wave and voltage-drop of ~30% under some light load.

Quality costs in this respect, but you won't thank us if you're wondering why your dishwasher bailed out on you in a puff of putrid smoke when you fed it wibbly electrons.

Advertisement