Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

That was a shocking display against a fairly mediocre Tipperary side mostly carried by Conor Sweeney.Then again they probably think we're carried by Gearoid, as once he didn't produce the goods nobody else stood up and kicked scores.

I don't know where we go from here now, our tactics particularly going forward are awful. Handpassing sideways, no rhythm to it. Our refusal to let the ball was obviously under instructions, then inside forwards wandering around midfield when we needed a goal.

Safety first and possession football that goes nowhere. And this against very poor opposition. I seriously fear for us against Antrim, even winning a league final the way we're playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Our transition play is too slow and has been for a long time. Even if we don’t want to kick the ball, we need to run it faster. There is still far too much sideways and lateral play.

Just read the RTE match report - imagine we have lost to Tipp at home 3 times now since 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Were just a poor team 3 relegation in a row is no fluke.

There’s no consistency to our results when you are losing to teams like Fermanagh, Tipp & Clare over the last few years.

It’s Mickey’s fourth year and, bar the Ulster win, which was huge, you would have to wonder what the trajectory is for this group of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Tipp was always the game we were likely to lose and to be honest if we learn from it, it might be no harm

I didn't make Breffni today and went to Sligo v London instead, bad and all as we are London won't trouble us they were awful today

Sligo on the other hand were very impressive particularly Murphy and Carrabine and I'd be quite happy not to be meeting them In Croke Park in a final

I listened to the Cavan game and it seems nothing went right for us when it came to goal chances

If we can't win the next 2 games comfortably then we are where we belong but let's hope there's a kick next week from today's result

• Advertisement

I don't know all the teams in this Division are looking at big beatings against any Division 1 or top division 2 team come championship and here we are just about doing enough most weeks and after getting beat today.

The performances haven’t been good. We’re very flat. You’re waiting for things to click and it isn’t happening. I was hoping after an impressive win over Sligo, in terms of on the scoreboard and the second half, that we’d kick on this week and move up a gear but that gear seems to be reverse!

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I'm usually a glass half-full kind of supporter, but you'd be hard pressed to see the positives in that second half. First half against the wind, i was happy with going in a point down. Plus with a lovely goal right on the stroke of half time the crowd were up and really behind Cavan. Second week on the trot that a team playing with the breeze allowed us the ball and crowded out the scoring zone. Was expecting us to kick on in the second half not unlike last week.

Did we just assume that we had the game for our taking? Simple matter is Tipp worked harder in the second half than we did. We had no one on the shoulder making runs and were incredibly shot shy with the breeze. Gearoid had a very bad day at the office and not only missed that goal (he had to pass it) but he slowed down a lot of attacks by not laying ball off. But he was one of many, Gunner aside and a lovely cameo from TED who forced at least two turnovers.

Let's be honest, Tipp are no great shakes at all but in Sweeney they had someone who nailed almost all their frees. We missed three or four, and a criminal mark into the keepers hands as well as some slack wides. That said we should have had at least two goals in the second half, hit the bar and i thought we could have had a penalty as well.

Final word, I thought the ref was awful and how did he not award a black card when Finnegan was rugby tackled in front of him and the linesman at the end of the first half. There was also a bizzare moment when he let one of the Tipp players take an eternity for a free, have him about to take it and when the runner did move, solo it and the re-take it which almost led to a goal. That was a farce. It didn't alter the course of the Cavan and we were architects of our own downfall but he was just terrible.

I do think that there was an element of "we are home and hosed" at half time, as the energy levels were so poor when we came out. To be outscored by an average Tipp side against a strong wind in the second half was shocking. Did we win any breaking ball in the middle today? James Smith did okay breaking lines but he never had anyone on his shoulder to release the ball to.

Nice to see Caoimhin score 1-1 from play. Looked a real threat in the first half.

I was a bit far away but it looked like Cormac O'Reilly was dragged down and a definite penalty.

After being stuck in the "let it in ta fck" section in Sligo, I was happier to have a few people round me today who actually realised that it isn't possible to kick it long EVERY SINGLE TIME. :)

• Advertisement

The might be more hope in letting it in than running around in circles between the 45's waiting to be turned over!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

The let it in brigade might have a point when the 2 long balls we played in at the end created more than all the lateral, slow awful football played today that went before. I see our forward coach is now a selector (according to the program) which might be as well as our attacking play is getting worse with every game. 3 pts in the 2nd half with a gale, pathetic stuff. I'm glad there was a GPA media ban after this game to be honest. I honestly don't know what are trying to do in matches, why we are farting around with the ball allowing opponents all day to filter back and why our forwards seem too scared to shoot and instead pass the buck on and on. Also any chance, for once and for f'ing all we can decide who is taking frees.

It was woeful stuff today. Three points with a strong wind, nothing from play.

the worrying thing was that there were a fair few times that we worked into scoring positions and lads were shot shy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Re Donohoe and the U-20s? I he a full time commentator/pundit or does he have a "regular" job on top of that. I believe he does, or at least did have. If hes a full time commentator/pundit, surely the County Board should have realised that there may be potential issues? Training young lads at 8am on a weekend morning is hardly fair? Im not asking for him to be sacked, but at the same time were issues not foreseeable when he got the gig? Or was there nobody else going for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Personally I dont think it is our place in an amateur association to be even bringing the mans employment into the conversation. I have coached senior teams and I know there is a huge amount of time involved and you wouldnt take it on if you didnt feel you could do it. Once you take it on you do need to move set your sessions up around your work and I am sure he is no different to anyone else. Lots of coaches have early morning sessions, lots of teams have 2 sessions in a day too. The pitch being frozen, well I think he would've been better to keep that stuff off the airwaves as it came across as making excuses. In fairness he got a good reaction from his players the next game which does tell me they are on board with him. Damien is in there now so I think let him have the season before further opinions on him. I think the other question that needs discussion is the overall state of the youth structure in Cavan which doesnt seem to be delivering the goods anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I find it more a generational thing to be honest. I remember Parkinson reviewing old games over the lockdown on The GAA Hour and being amazed at hugely heralded players like Martin O'Connell and just how often they got the ball and leathered it down the pitch straight back to the opposition. Looking at the ''let it in'' supporters, the majority of them are those who grew up watching that football and the years before it, and every county has them from what I've seen.

Cavan do need to vary our play however. The odd long ball in would keep the opposition guessing. I'm not sure why we aren't breaking at speed either when we have players more than capable of doing it.

We are missing a Mackey type player who isn't afraid to take on a defence and draw markers towards him making room for others.

There are to many lads there at the moment who are happy to keep recycling the ball and keep possession.. The full forward line can make runs all day but I think the lads out the field are afraid to kick it in incase it's intercepted and it's a black mark on there stats and next thing there taking off.

It doesn't matter who we play if Gearoid has an off day we are going to be there for the taking.

The question you need to ask though is why they are afraid to do that. It's up to management to instill the confidence in them that an error where they were trying something won't be held against them.

Hopefully that loss be the kick up the arse we need. I had an Armagh man consoling me there telling me it doesn't matter how great they are at a time or how terrible Laois are, they just cannot seem to beat them.

We have players like Gerry Smith that can break lines at club level but they don't seem to be encouraged to do it at intercounty.

The thing is we have been successful (if not spectacular) in playing controlled football when against the wind (Leitrim, Carlow, Sligo and first half against Tipp) and staying in touching distance to kick on in the second half. We just didn't do anything in the second half to build on a decent enough first half. It wasn't just that Gearoid had an off day, it seemed the tactics mostly were about finding him and hoping he would do something. I was watching Lynch and Caoimhin in the second half (much like the first half), their movement was good but the ball wasn't being played in- it was as if we had our stall set out to solely look for Gearoid. And even if we did find him his role isn't about bringing other people into play, it's about being the focal point and kicking scores. We definitely need to show some variety there or our goose is cooked in Ulster.

• Advertisement

I would definitely say its relevant. Managing an U-20 side especially where lads are at college etc, the main collective training would be at weekends. County Boards are there to look after the players as well as get the best out of them. Im not saying the guy is/is not good enough, but the profile of the man, in that hes generally involved with the media side of football, as well as having another possible fulltime job, and has a young family, the question Do you think you would be able to allow the (say 10 hours a week ) required to be an inter county manager, should be both a valid question, and the manager should be able to provide an answer which would give some detail re how he would balance a weekend where hes on media duty in say Waterford on a Sunday

Lay off the man it's with the county board who knew off his other commitments prior to appointing him.

Are you his da? Im not getting at him....what Im trying to say is that questions should have been asked by the County Board, that obviously werent asked. I would criticise him on his 8am training session on a Sunday morning. I think thats a bit much to be honest. A lad from Templeport/Swad area would have to be up at 6am to train. Its crazy IMO to expect that level of commitment

In fairness early morning Sunday sessions aren't a new thing. I have heard of club managers getting Cavan club players up to places like Bettystown at 6am on a Sunday morning. It's one way of keeping lads out of the town on a Saturday night!

I see Paul Fitz has retweeted comments from John McGrath re nobody batting an eyelid that Tom Parsons said players could be training 5,6 or 7 nights a week. There is a real argument there that commitment levels are gone through the roof. For example, even outside intercounty setups which all copy each other, clubs hear county teams like Cavan trained 28 nights out of 30 and you have lads think they need to replicate that at club level to compete.

But at intercounty level? And under 20? Lads possibly coming home from college during the week and then up at 6 on Sunday....where does player welfare, and rest and recovery come into it. Ive heard the DCU guy Niall Moyna (if thats his name) in the past on Off the Ball saying intercounty teams are doing way to much training.

And then you have the GPA who are supposed to be looking out for player welfare looking for expenses for players for all training sessions.

The county players are annoyed about it. They knew nothing about it and they don't care about playing in Corrigan. I did have a chat with one yesterday and explained its for supporters like ourselves but the general feeling I get is they are miffed about not being consulted on it.

Is The GAA Hour back now? I thought it had been dropped when Wooly left. Parkinson has his own show now that you have to pay for.

I blame Kildare for this sort of nonsense. Home draw being sacrificed has happened before due to pitches or grounds being unavailable (we used Brewster in 2018) and there was none of this hysteria.

I had a quick listen to the clip there on Twitter. Not surprising Eamon McGee put a note up on Twitter about this at the weekend to drum up interest ahead of the podcast going live. The GAA Hour have lost Parkinson as a host so they'll be doing their best to get some controversial opinions going and what better than to get their pundits to disagree with The League Sunday lads. It'll die back down after a day or two when they'll have got the few likes and listens they wanted.

It worked in fairness to them because I hadn't even noticed they were back online until you mentioned it and I was a regular listener the past 2/3 years!

McGee doing his best to get a boot into Cavan re playing in Division 4 too. That 2020 Ulster final loss still hurts obviously!

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me the full backroom team that Graham has with him this year?

Advertisement