Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I agree that a lot of the episode was just filler, his job as a teacher was in no way relevant to the build. The house they visited in Donegal was fab, but they spent too long showing it. A lot of focus on their families and history. They stated that a good lot of their budget went on heating, insultation etc upgrades - but I couldn't tell you what measures they put in place for this - was there special insulation in the walls, roof, certain windows selected for energy efficiency, flooring - I've no idea.

What I did like was the house itself, they did a great job on it. The QS seems to be doing well on the show and it was great to see a build coming in just under budget. I quite liked the couple, they came across really well, and I liked at the end how thankful, grateful and complimentary they were to everyone involved in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The "coming in under budget" is totally misleading imo. There is no chance that they're paying what you or I would pay Rationel for the aluclad windows and doors. Thats just one example. I would guesstimate that the windows and doors for that spec of house would come to ballpark €50-60k (before the Bannon / TV advertising discount was applied). There is no way they'd have fitted them into their actual budget.

This TV show is entertainment and soap opera first, facts/realism a distant second. Which is probably the desired aim.

I'm getting really tired of the fluff of this show. I don't want to go to the G Hotel and see someone dressed up in a shiny dress eating afternoon tea. I don't want to go to school and do "show and tell". I don't want long back stories..... I just want to see the house and how it's actually renovated. I'm also very interested in the actual spend, the amount of grant money and whether it was difficult or straightforward to get those grants. Also I thought to get full SEAI grant funding of €25K you needed solar panels, didn't see any??

I used to love Room to Improve. I don't any longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The formula is the very same as a lot of other reality TV shows. You're going to get as much constructive real world advice on the practicalities of building a house on this show as you'll get on weight loss/fitness from Operation Transformation your singing career from X-Factor or motoring advice from Top Gear.

Having gone through a self build recently myself, I don't find any of the interactions with the QS realistic in any way. So the budget figures bandied about through the episode by the narrator are mostly totally meaningless. Every episode wraps up the same way regardless. No matter what the budget, the build always seems to go from a fella kango-ing a wall to Dermot sipping champagne in the flash new kitchen (that couldn't possibly have fitted into the mythical budget) within 5 minutes. Last night we were supposed to believe that they were clinging onto the hope that they might get the 20k insulation grant. This isn't realistic.

They've probably dumbed it down even more this season but I don't recall it ever being anything other than entertainment first, aimed at Joe Public who just wants a bit of soapy drama, a peek into how the other half lives. Its aired on a Sunday night on RTE1 after all.

but it wasn't always about "how the other half lives". It was normal houses with normal rooms getting a renovation or makeover. In fact there were a few houses here in Drogheda that featured on it and they were very ordinary by today's standards.

Why do production companies assume that we all want reality TV shows? Is there a survey done? Do they not take into account feedback from many people who say they don't like the fluff?? Or is it just a " tried and tested" formula that always worked previously and they are too lazy to give us something different?? The X Factor has been shelved for this very reason!! The formula is tired and done to death ! Considering the boredom of 2 years of Covid and now the threat of WW3, could production companies not shake things up a bit and move the the evolution of the world . The Celtic Tiger Days of afternoon tea in a horrible shiny dress in the G Hotel are long gone. Reality is what matters now. Most people cannot even afford an ordinary 3 bedroom semi in the sprawling suburbs of Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

They need a boots on the ground programme about retro fitting houses. Do an 12 part series with two examples each of the main types of houses in Ireland; bungalows, semi-D's, bedsit houses, apartments etc.

Show us typical issues and how they can be solved on a budget, but properly done. Show advantages/disadvantages of triple v. double glazing and where the former is useful. Show the advantage, but costs and mess involved in removing a chimney. Air source heat pumps, solar heating, solar lighting etc. etc. etc.

Show the process around applying for grants and how that works, or getting credit etc.

Also of use to small shops and commercial premises such as your typical office in small town rural Ireland. And community energy schemes.

They touch on this occasionally with Eco Eye, but at this stage they badly need a programme dedicated to this. It's becoming more relevant every day.

• I just find I’m fast forwarding to the last ten minutes in the last two shows…and I used to love this show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

You just know the parents are getting shafted. Probably a Portacabin or a converted shipping container.

I'll never forget the Room to improve episode where the couple were going to live with the mother and it was her house that was being renovated.

The only thing the aul dear asked for was a window of her room to look out over the church next door.

Boom, the mother didn't get her one and only request. The couple got everything they asked for but not the poor soul giving them the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I remember that episode. From the very beginning that lady was being pushed aside.

I don't think that was happening here. It took 8 months to get planning permission. I know there was abit of a budget rejig in favour of the main house but that's not to say the money won't be "found" now they are not paying rent etc.

I honestly got the impression that this couple were very decent and appreciative of what they were getting. I don't think they'll treat the parents poorly.

Room to improve needs to keep up with it's schedule too ,which is why I presume they are looking for projects that don't need planning permission.

It would be nice if they did a "revisited" episode to show the new build though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I don’t think the parents were as badly shafted as that (I hope) . I’m hoping that it wasn’t shown as they wanted privacy or that it wasn’t fully finished. They seemed like a v close and happy family.

I agree with everyone who says it’s gone too soapy and I’d love to see proper details on energy efficiency and how to properly retrofit etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I see that Channel 5 licenced RTI last year. It'll only get worse so because they'll see no point going into the intricacies of grants if it's being made with an audience of another country in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

That was a bizarre episode. I wonder was the planning permission delayed more than they had anticipated on the parent's house so they had to fill the episode with stuff not related to the build? I think that episode might have set a record for time spent with the wife's family, the husband's family, the show-house up the country, even the husband's day job got a good 5 minute segment. I was half expecting them to show the wife's job as well.

Does it bother anyone else that these house renovation shows like this and Grand Designs, for example, always have couples who are struggling for money and on a really tight budget, but then think it's a great time to have another child? Like, could you not wait a year or two until the house is built and you're out of a financial hole? Always seems a strange desicion to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I imagine that’s an age consideration rather than a financial one.

Dermot was on today fm this morning and said parents are getting their own show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dermot was on Six O'Clock Show earlier, there's this weekends show and then a special next week and that's this series over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Next week.

Room to Improve: Constructive Criticism

Dermot Bannon invites three people to judge some of the most memorable builds from 2018 and 2019 - including a previous client and a superfan of the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bannon was on Ray D'arcy during the week where he admitted that the show has transformed more into a program about the lives of those building rather than the actual build itself, he said thats what people want to watch 😑

How many eps in this series? Something like 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Fair enough if that's what their market research shows.

I maintain more than ever, that there's now a space to show a programme on retro fits that deals with the more practical side of it, with a very strong emphasis on retro fitting, insulation and renewables, all done at a modest budget. More so in the light of what's happening to fuel prices the past few weeks.

Your move, RTE. And no, I don't want Lottie Ryan, or similar, presenting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

DOG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

When he laughs as he describes a € 140000 budget as " Tiny" is annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

140k to 200k+ . madness . he should be fired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Oh look another budget blown but the money found nonetheless

The weekly dance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

€70,000 over budget. It's getting more and more ridiculous. €210,000 would surely buy a decent house in Thurles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Here we go again.

Budget is 140,000 or 150,000 max.

They have decided to go for most expensive option budget increased to 210, 000🙄.

At this stage, anyone participating in this has loads of money and just want to be able to say Bannon designed their house. What other reason is there to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

An outdoor room?? Is that what we're calling Patios now Ted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

And we haven't hit any overspends yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

RTE have a program similar to what you are describing in production but it got delayed due to Covid. Its more to do with building a cheap house for 150k-ish by some lad who did it himself. Indo says he is an Australian eco-builder

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/rte-looking-for-participants-in-new-build-your-own-house-build-programme-40164156.html

Anyway I see Bannon has blown the budget again, from 140k up to 210k in a minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I’m sorry I didn’t have the accountability of a tv show to monitor some of the cowboys who worked on my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Well to be honest if I was getting Dermot and had an actual budget of 250k I would tell him 150k max knowing he would come back in the region of 200k and I still had a buffer for overspend.

Advertisement