Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

China selling arms to Russia wouldn’t be a “moral” issue for China.

As the saying goes, guns don’t kill people - people kill people. China would shrug shoulders and go we haven’t bombed maternity wards, go talk to Russia.

yeah but they have been stealing tech and IP left right and center too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah, genuine fakes everywhere.

They are knock offs of western innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

China are not going to risk getting sanctioned to help the Russians. More than likely they will string Putin along for a while whilst making the West second guess them.

It suits them more to have a weakened Russia next to them. Makes the resource rich country far easier to manipulate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Of all the empires currently available, which would you rather have the upper hand in global affairs? I'll tale the least worst option every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

21 sick Ukrainian children flown to the UK for treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Been hearing that for weeks, but if so what will they do different that other divisions. Also they will be minus tanks, more slaughter for Russian soldiers most likely

Been wondering that too. Not a techie either, but according to this CNBC article there has been a major surge of VPN interest in Russia:

Russians are turning to virtual private networks to bypass the country’s tightening internet controls following the invasion of Ukraine. VPNs can mask an internet user’s identity and location to help them access blocked websites and services. The top 10 VPN apps in Apple’s App Store and Google Play Store in Russia collectively saw nearly 6 million downloads between Feb. 24, the day the invasion began, to March 8, according to data from SensorTower compiled for CNBC. This was up 1,500% when compared with the top 10 VPN apps in the previous 13-day period.

According to this expert quoted in EuroNews, it depends on the VPN:

At the time of writing, it is still possible to access banned social networking sites via VPNs in Russia but Migliano cautions that even while using VPNs, there are ways that states can still try and block websites. "The Russian government will be desperately trying to block VPNs. It is possible to identify VPN traffic at the network level and block it. And what that means is that your VPN will stop working," said Migliano. What happens in this instance, Migliano says, is that the biggest, paid VPN providers with lots of budget end up constantly hiding the traffic and performing what is known as "obfuscation". "This is what works in China. This is why there are VPNs that still work in China, despite China being the most advanced nation on Earth when it comes to censorship," he explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Since I've read that the Ukrainians only have (or had) two warships on the go, I had been wondering what exactly could be done if a group of Russian destroyers were to sail close to Odesa and just start pounding the city with ordinance. Could those Russians ships essentially smash the city unmolested?

It's crazy to think that Kyiv and Odesa were/are two jewels of European cities. Two desirable modern destinations to travel to. Both could end up smashed to bits by the end of all this. Absolute madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 allgoodboss

Long time reader, first time poster. Apart from the shills, angry trolls and uneducated conspiracy theorists with no friends or sex lives, this has been a mostly excellent thread for information and insight.

Superb piece below on potential outcomes and the choices China now has, written by a Chinese foreign policy think tank. I can't post links as I'm not here long enough, but if you search for the following it will take you to the article:

"uscnpm hu wei ukraine China choice"

Key points are this war will eventually lead to a resurgent and unified West (already being demonstrated) and China fence-sitting or backing Russia will only lead to their isolationism (doesn't align to their long term strategy). The advice to Xi to cut ties with Putin now is clear and rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Looking forward the st Patrick's day parades etc. It will be an opportunity to display our support for Ukraine and its people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭threeball

The quicker they actually move into Kiev the better. There's two possible outcomes there.

1. They get absolutely hammered with javelins, nlaws and molotov cocktails from every conceivable angle.

2. They make slow progress and putin loses his patience and starts shelling which will end up killing his own too. The already terrible morale will plummet.

Not even close at this stage and probably never

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

How original

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Other than testing new military tech in an actual warzone, remember china has gone through a massive military modernisation program , but very little of their own built designs stolen from other countries,has actually been fielded in actual combat

It would be a gamble. I'm not sure they want to align themselves that strongly with Russia. They might not outright condemn Putin, but I doubt they are happy with the way things have gone. The invasion is having an impact on the Chinese economy, too.

It's in China's interest to keep trading with the West as their economy is reliant on it. Risking sanctions by supplying arms to Russia for a war they care little for would be a strategic blunder.

Whilst it’s encouraging that Russians are using VPN’s, let’s not assume that all of them are doing so, because they are interested or give a sh1te about what their government are doing in Ukraine.

By now, I’d say most Russians in the main cities have a fair idea what’s going on in Ukraine or at least have seen alternative viewpoints. It may not translate into mass demonstrations by millions of people as we’d hoped it would.

Hard to see China completely cutting off Russia for now if Russia prostrates itself to China in terms of natural resources. China will be sternly warned, I expect, by USA on Monday about offering military aid to Russia, and I don't think China is going to break its back in that regard, but my feeling is that they may at least offer Russia enough rope to continue hanging itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The consensus amoung ordinary Russians is we know whats a happening in Ukraine but we are powerless to stop it .

yeah, I've definitely lost optimism regading an uprising in Russia. Things will have to get a lot worse for that to happen. Huge admiration for those that spoke out. 14,000 arrested so far was the figure I saw. But protests won't do it.. they are almost always proven to fail in Russia. I almost feel bad for cheering them on. :/ Only violence could overthrow the Russian state, and that capability would have to come from within some part of the state itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What about Moldova? Are the West rushing aid and weapons in there in advance of any incursion or attack by the Ruskis?

Those planes they can't "give" to Ukraine? Why not send them to Moldova at least

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I've heard that there was a tactic of 'holding your enemy close'. Especially if they have better artillary and air support. Mixing it with the Russians inside Kyiv would mean that they can't deploy mass bombings/barrage as it would kill many of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Has that been sitting in your drafts since Friday haha

In glad to see they have not taken it also

Nope, like yourself I can view my notifications :-) but for sure I had your post in mind because I thought it was very pessimistic going by the experience of the disasterous Russian ground campaign so far. Kyiv will be a graveyard for Russian soldiers be of no doubt of that

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

I would bet there is a very well placed leak in the Russian command which has been passing info on to the US. The US press publicising this will continue to make Putin more isolated and unsure of his position. It does seem to lend credence to the leak that Putin was furious that cruise missiles had been used on an airport.

Even in this dire situation you have to laugh at the prospect of Russian tank drivers trying to read Chinese instructions ‘if only green light show, press red before but not. Put foot on leg to go under from top side. Pull pleasant chain with soft hand.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

China abstained on the UN vote. If I remember correctly Syria, Belarus, North Korea and someone else backed the Russians so North Korea might be a better bet for them to head to with the begging bowl.

Edit: the other country was Eritrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Seeing reports that Kadyrov is in Ukraine. If that's true it presents a massive opportunity to take out a very visible ally of Putin's and maybe destabilise the pro-Russian regime in Chechnya. Wouldn't surprise me if there are some operatives without flags on the ground tasked with removing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

An interesting article here on the current situation with Russia in an interview with the former NATO Secretary-General

Putin won't stop in Ukraine:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That's one move , but that leaves the yanks free to focus on south east Asia and the Pacific , without needing to look over their shoulder at Russia as well ... or they keep Russia in the game - Russia is under their thumb ,and desperate to "get back at the west " ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

This article claims that the pro-Russian region of Moldova - Transnistria - is taking a neutral stance on the conflict for now because the quasi-state also has links to Ukraine. Interesting situation in Moldova, but I don't see Russia pushing into it in any meaningful way. Maybe Transnistria would elect to join the Russian federation if Russia could carve out a swathe of territory along the south of Ukraine and geographically link up, I don't know, just a thought, but if it were to occur, it wouldn't even necessarily require an incursion as Transnistria de facto controls its own territory. As for going into the rest of Moldova, it's more culturally aligned to Romania, as far as I know. It wouldn't line up with Mad Vlad's current idea of uniting the Russian peoples of Great Russia (Russian Federation), White Russia (Belarus) and Little Russia (Ukraine).

As for why they don't move planes through Moldova, if they could they probably would. I'm sure there are reasons and not that those of us on boards have considered something they haven't. 😉

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement