Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just got the Mimic’s Tear, looking forward to experimenting with it a bit. Nekron - so far anyway - seems like a pretty gentle area difficulty-wise for this stage of the game. I’m not complaining, though - had to take yesterday off playing after Radahan made my Friday night unnecessarily stressful, so a more gentle session or two isn’t unwelcome 😅

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Im still in the mid-game, but the upgraded wolves have continued to be super handy for many encounters! They’re great for attracting aggro or picking off some supporting enemies. They’re not great for bosses with big AOE attacks, but a solid choice otherwise so far.

It’s only now I’m going to invest some resources into the likes of Mimic Tear as well as I’ve just unlocked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Banished Knight Oleg was doing great for me, and I'd upgraded him to +3, but after getting Mimic Tear to the same level, there's no comparison. Now have Mimic to about +9 and it just wrecks. I've also started upgrading Latenna the Alburinac to be more of a ranged summons if required.

Did three duels in front of the Great Jar. Two of them used the moonveil katana skill and insta-killed me. Gotta say, not a fan of being on the receiving end of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Spent a few hours today just farming runes up at Farum Greatbridge - circling around killing those little vulgar militia dudes - 1k runes for each is ok esp since they're pretty easy to sneak up on and kill with a backstab now I have the uchi up to +9. Didn't realise but I must've jumped 20 lvls just from the farming alone, up to lvl61 now with ok stats - going to go get the Moonveil and see if I can follow Fextra's build guide for it (although I can't get some of the talismans just yet though).

I must say, I love the voice acting and dialogue in this game - dude that sells the prawns: "Marika's tits, you must be 'ungry". 🤣

Finished up Ranni's side quest. Final boss put years on me. An exercise in pure frustration for a melee player. You can't be near it, the camera will kill you if the AOE doesn't. Another boss I was swinging and hitting nothing, deployed the Mimic and got my bow out, dead in the next attempt.

Very frustrating to have a window for an attack thats small but then swing at air when the boss isn't even moving is annoying as hell.

Finished up in the Capital, in terms of the bosses still have some areas to explore but those bosses fell on a first attempt either they were weak as or I'm over powered for that point of the game. Lvl 99 with a lvl 20 greatsword.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭McFly85

The amount of content really is staggering. 80 hours in and I ended up spending the afternoon exploring a massive area I had no idea existed yesterday. I have no idea how long it will take me to finish but if I get another 80 hours out of it I won’t complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Yeah not sure how to stop that at the moment. Currently rolling over stuff. 50 hours in low 80s level wise running a +10 mimic, +17 twinblade or +9 bloodhound fang depending if I want a fast or slow swing. Not feeling aligned with the content level. Just finished fia quest and now in lake of rot for ranni. I don't feel like I've don't anything excessive to out level the content but coming from sekiro this is different.

Anyway perhaps I'll come back crying shortly that something is wrecking my face

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

At Limgrave in the beginning is it worth exploring around the lake? At level 19 I feel like I should level up a bit more before attempting Margit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Yeah I would. Head south and such you've got all of the weeping peninsula and a mini dungeon down there to do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I fought Patches and now he wants to sell me things? I guess I'll head south and find the weeping peninsula.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Got the Moonveil up to +5 now and yep Transient Moonlight is great alright. Also got a better staff that has S scaling with Int so the glintstone pebble is much better now. Making my way north, took forever to kill a dragon I didn't need to and then managed to transport myself to

Nokron, Eternal City

and got smashed by a lesser crucible knight. What an incredible looking area that is. Headed back to Raya, not in the mood to inch my way around that place so headed east and now trying to dispatch a pesky sorcerer dude that keeps disappearing - exact same thing they had in D3.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Beat the game. For the last set of endgame bosses I just spammed summons, cause I was getting a bit worn out by learning all their mechanics and delayed attacks. I saved that energy and interest instead for the secret boss you can fight, and finally beat it just now. No summons, but Moonveil is the most busted weapon in the game right now with its posture damage scaling

The flurry attack it does requires such an arcane dance of shield usage, iframe dodging through attacks and repositioning as the camera goes crazy as I've never seen in a souls game

I'm currently in Elden Rings version of the depths, it doesn't disappoint. I do love the freedom of having no souls or not enough to care about if you die to embrace suicide runs to get back to places quickly and see whats around the corner or with luck unlock a short cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just die already Ranalla! So ready to move on from this loop.

Edit: finally, on we go.

That was a nod to very similar fights in Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne but that fight was a bit less on the trivial side than in those games.

Wanted to leave a massage saying praise the / prepare for death stranding.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Beat Godrick.

Easier to beat solo than when I was helping people.

Have to say these are quite difficult main bosses so far for this early on the game.

Tho I have beaten a couple of optional ones in various smaller dungeons.

Stormveil was an incredible Dungeon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finally made it into the Capital. Have also been wandering into even more underground areas that I had no idea existed. The scale of this game is insane, and every time I enter a new area it feels unique, or even when it doesn't, the way it links to other areas previously explored is just incredible. And I still often see items out of reach and know I'll probably later end up finding a completely different path that takes me to it.

I still don't feel "overpowered". Mimic Tear definitely makes most of the bosses a lot easier, and spamming the weapon skill of moonveil katana takes care of most things. But at the same time, mistiming the skill or getting too greedy still means getting slapped down hard.

Have also taken my Demi-Queen staff from +8 to +20 after finally finding some more Smithing Stone 6's. Rock sling starting to do decent damage again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beat Godrick last night. Got teleported to the arse end of Caelin which has enemies that give 1000 runes which makes losing a levels worth of runes a lot less frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Finished it over the weekend and spent hours on trying to get as many endings as possible - I am going to do a new game or NG+ because I think I missed 1 ending/fcked up some sidequests.

All in all, best game of the decade for me, I havent played a game this crazily (just around 100hours) since 2006 lmao (every day at work in the past 2 weeks most of the time my brain keep thinking about ER - should have taken a week off for this ha).

From has truly outdone themselves and god I wish the game industry learns something from them - designing a game (let alone an open world 'sandbox') should never be mundane - ER just keeps on going on and on after 1 surprise after another - I truly did not expect so much contents. For the value (and it doesnt even come with those crazy AAA 70e price tag, i paid 42e for it, this game is average at 50e) and entertainment, i recommend everyone to get it.

BUT bloody hell, as a melee str first playthrough, I didn't enjoy those endgame (and 'super' endgame) areas, and that final boss is just pure frustration lmao. For sure From overtuned the melee build for whatever reasons and I seriously doubt that did they QC on the other builds that I have seen people doing.

For example watching some streams, some builds can pass through everything easy pesy around 100 levels (Dex/Int build like moonveil) while I was struggling at 150 levels killing myself to go through the same bosses/areas. I understand sure most of the builds cant even take more than 2 hits from the enemies (when I could take 3-5 hits), but those end game bosses hit so hard it doesn't matter anyway - and the worst thing is that I cant even go near the bosses to hit them lmao. And omg don't even get me started from the crazy input reading from late game enemies, absolutely messed up.

I read an interview basically Miyazaki saying he usually plays str melee build - so ya it really could be that they overtuned that lmao. And...not surprisingly apparently the DS2 director plays a big part in ER - no wonder the enemies design do give me DS2 vibe - most noticeable feature is that the overall satisfaction from defeating ER bosses somehow feel worse than DS3, it just doesn't feel as rewarding due to not well designed (ie lots of BS moves).

Let's see how will the game gets patched next, I hope they spend more time on testing other builds and also I heard quite a bit of items not working well (or it is intended lmao). I am going to start Int/faith with Astrologer this week ha.

Yes Mimic just dies and not much helpful with that final boss...and same ye I even tried to equip bow and summon mimic and then swap back to my greatsword lol. And bloody hell greatsword +25 is a trap, +24 has better scaling wtf lol, ya something is not right. TBH game is 'suitably' challenging when i got +24 (except the few bosses...) so i can totally see in your case at lvl100 and greatsword+20, game is hard - and ya you beat the game with that, fair play to you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

I got stuck, a bit of help anyone?

I beat Rhadan, I finished Ranni's quest (I think, I put the ring on her finger and I got a farewell cutscene), I went through the capital and got a sh1tload of golden rune and a got to a sealed portal. What next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I don't know about Ranni's quest as I still haven't completed that, but in the capital you need to make your ways up the buildings towards the erd tree and fight a boss there. Is the seal you're talking about on a big door towards the east of the capital? Beating the boss removes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Quick question from someone who is new to the From Software style game....

How are people keeping track of "side quests" or the pieces of clues the NPC's give? Im finding myself talking to someone, they might mention "look west beyond the gate once you get to X area".

Fast Forward about 5 hours of random exploring and I totally forget what that NPC has said. Or I might find an item and I was like....oh yeah someone said something to me about this. But have forgotten who. I take it there is no way in game to see these bits of info? Im genuinely considering taking down notes in a doc so I remember.

Also Im level 55 and still using the same gear I started with. Samurai build with my +8 Katana. Am I doing it right!?

Ah Ranni's request:

Technically you are done ye but did you meet with Blaidd again? Go to Ranni tower

And then where to go - welcome to 'late game':

Use your medallion and go via the Grand lift to open up the portion of map to the east/north (big portion lol). Took me some time to explore abit to find the lift (i cant remember the route now), so you are not alone ha.

spoiler spoiler:

you have 2 medallions to use heh

Ops, i thought @Cordell beat the bosses and asking where to go next ha (sorry pal lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's the door that says "Sealed by <someone I don't remember now>" or something, it was late and I was tired :)

Ya man reading back to your post, yes, it is not about 'git gud' for ER - I totally agreed. I think I enjoyed ER so much on the exploring and the world, the enemies are ok (some of them are so **** annoying and 'unfair' to deal with) - DS3's gameplay/bosses actually are better designed imo and more of them from DS3 are memorable. And ER soundtracks are also less impressive/memorable for me - the main theme is the best that's it.

Can't wait to start new game this week though 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Like in all souls games, I'm not. I'll worry about it in a next playthrough after watching some vaati videos. It's too hard to keep track of.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Yeah, for the last gauntlet of bosses I decided to not even try to learn them solo. I'll probably try to learn their 1v1 mechanics on another playthrough, but I was pretty fatigued by trying to do it up til then which is what I was getting at with the lack of satisfaction I have with beating stuff in Elden Ring. I don't want to just complete the content and stuff, I want to feel the back and forth in fights. But some of the encounters ask a lot of you in terms of how much time it takes to even understand what's going on

I just made the one exception for the secret boss I posted about earlier, cause I knew it was going to be the showcase of the game's mechanics and wanted to kinda do that one before burning myself out.

I think the middle ground isn't there with Elden Ring where if you aren't super skilled you might have this feeling with it, or you lack patience to grind fights for hours and hours. Overtime tho I could see Elden Ring becoming my preferred game for ng+, cause there's still a shitload to figure out on replay while Dark Souls is kinda one and done in that regard. So I think I will like the game better the 2nd time through.

Gonna go for fist weapons this time, they seem fun lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

No I've thorough explored Liurnia, Caelid, the peninsula, many of the towers and mini dungeons, obviosuly there's a big piece missing for later! when I started the game I basically followed the coastline around to the east and kept going whilst also doing bits and pieces in Limgrave and the peninsula. Went back and finished stormveil last night. Great fight with Godrick and a caster summon. Then found out about ashes and trying to figure all that sh1t out now.

Anyone else lol when they found Jarburg?

Advertisement