Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

war in Ukraine

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah come on Klaz, there are a few similarities.

Maybe it has something to do with dictatorship style leaderships.

Hitler had this mad dream about uniting all Geman peoples, Putin has the same excuse about uniting Russians.

Hitler sent troops back into the Rhineland in 1936, the Allies did nothing.

He did a little bit of a land grab in The Sudetenland in 1938 to test the waters, the Allies did nothing but effectively sold out the Czechs.

Putin tested the waters in 2008 with Georgia, the West did little.

Putin had bigger land grab in 2014 with Crimea and Donbas and the West did shag all.

He did everything bar ask for his Crimea corridor this time.

Hell by the looks of it he is even mimicking the Gleiwitz incident so that Belorus can enter the war.

Now of course there are major differences.

Hitler was head of a very united state, with a better prepared military with total buy in from almost everyone.

Putin has a military more like Uncle Joe's in 1940/1941 which is poorly led, badly equipped and low morale.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He’s invading a nation because it wants to join an organisation called NATO… who have been zero threat to Russia since their foundation in 1949… they are peacekeepers..

57 of the world’s 195 countries are NATO members, the Ukraine have never threatened Russia or any other country. Russia have never been threatened by NATO….

anybody out there suggesting that NATO, it’s members or the Ukraine are a threat to Russia are living in lala land, there is no proof of that…NATO hasn’t invaded anyone, Russia has and has threatened nuclear attacks on the back on Ukraine wanting to join NATO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

NATO is absolutely not a threat to Russia as NATO would never invade such a major nuclear power also there are no NATO countries that have serious claims to any part of Russia's sovereign territory. Well probably Finland would like to get Karelia back but they also know it's not realistic and currently Finland isn't even in NATO. And historically Kaliningrad oblast was Germany but all the Germans there were deported, it is now fully ethnic Russian and no German politician would seriously want that bit back.

But I wouldnt be so keen on calling NATO purely peacekeeping and ladeedaa happy days peace lovers. They do invade countries, it's mostly the US that invades countries. Think of Iraq, Lybia, Yemen etc.

But it invades poor countries in the Middle East that nobody really cares about at the end of the day. Yes that's really cruel to say and personally I do care about those countries but the politicians of NATO countries don't.

Invading a sovereign country that was doing quite well in reducing corruption and also is in Europe is really a step too far. Surely Ukraine has problems, yes there are nazis there (just like all over Eastern Europe) that doesn't mean they are all nazi though. The main issue is corruption, just like Russia itself is deeply corrupt to the core.

No, I get the similarities with Germany, and WW2. No issue there.

However, look back at the post/image that I objected to. Never forget. Never forget what? Will we never learn what?

There is this attitude of blowing the Ukrainian war out of proportion. That's what I'm objecting to.

NATO was created to counter Soviet/Russian influence in the Western Sphere, so the idea that they represented no threat to them is ridiculous. Threat doesn't have to manifest in direct action to be/remain a threat.. and having military installations of foreign powers who openly criticise your regime is going to be a threat. NATO is not a peacekeeping force. It's a force to maintain stability among western allied groups. The UN provides the core component for peacekeeping because supposedly it's impartial, whereas NATO would not be.

Out of curiosity, where did I suggest that NATO was a threat to Russia (although they definitely would be), or seek to justify Putins views? Why introduce that aspect, considering the content of my previous post?

However, I'm not seeking to defend Russia's stance, or behaviour. As I said the Jmayo above, this is about @fryup post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If nato ‘would’ be a threat to Russia, since their foundation in 1949 they've not done a hell of a lot to go about threatening them..Beginning in the early 1990s, just as the most of the former Soviet republics were establishing their independence, Russia became bloodily aggressive against the likes of Moldova and Georgia. Russia sided with separatists ( terrorists ) in the Abkhazian and South Ossetian regions of Georgia. Look at its record in Syria, diligently and deliberately attacking hospitals…

now the Ukrainian people, a sovereign and peaceful people, want to join the EU… Russian democratic response… ‘invade them’, ‘kill people’… destroy lives, infrastructure … it’s Hitler levels of evil, there is zero justification for it, their lies don’t hold up..

NATO = security while Russia right now and at times in the past = terrorism

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

There are multiple threads discussing this across several fora. We dont need another one in AH

Please discuss in the CA thread

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058195983/russia-threadbanned-users-in-op#latest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement