Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

EDIT:

Replying to SafeSurfer's post "American award winning journalist Brent Renaud was tragically shot and killed near Irpin in Ukraine yesterday. This is a huge story reported on internationally..."

This post is simply Russian trolling, In My Opinion.

How do you know when Russian spokespersons are lying?

Their lips are moving....

Absolutely everything that comes from Russian media or Russian government outlets, including diplomatic sources, such as Ambassador Filatov in Dublin is untrustworthy. They are all, to a man cowardly liars. In My Opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

That’s fair enough. If, in a war situation you want to dismiss everything one side says as lies and accept what the other side says as gospel truth that is your prerogative.

Is there another source for who killed Brent other than the Ukrainian police chief?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

I'd say there's no Russians there at all, it's all just Ukrainians dressed as Russians, pretending to invade 🙄🙄

Someone just lived through a traumatic experience, possibly believing they may die, and posters think they should be giving detailed evidence of who did what. It's very obvious from watching the video, who the reporter says shot them. I can't see any reason to disbelieve him.

This is, in the words of the late John Hume MEP, nothing other than "whataboutery"

The journalist died as a direct result of the criminal and murderous war launched by the Russian state against an independent democracy. No one else is to blame, only the Russian military. No one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I must have missed your posts questioning the Russian versions of events on topics discussed on this thread. So do we assume you accept it as the truth or all of it are lies?

Can you not tell from the nature of replies to your posts anyone paying attention to your 'questioning' spots the exact same pattern and arent fooled by your 'both sides' charade.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

The link has a headline saying Russians shot his colleague. In the video he describes crossing a Ukrainian checkpoint when “they” started shooting and you have filled in the blanks.

So only the Ukrainian police chief has verified it was Russian forces who fired.

Can you provide any sources that verify the shooting was done by Russian forces other than the Ukrainian police chief?

I take that as a no, you have no other source other than the Ukrainian police chief.

Thank you Ody.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

In case you didn't get the memo, all deaths, injuries and property damage are the fault of the Russians. They invaded, they started this, nobody else. They are solely responsible regardless of who pulled the trigger. It wouldn't be happening except for the Russians starting it.

Now sod off with your whataboutery.

This analysis by a Chinese commentator, Hu Wei, provides an interesting, if rather sobering view of where the Russian attack on Ukraine may go next.

Essentially his view is that Putin's war aims have failed, and that the war is unwinnable for the Russian military.

More worryingly, he thinks that Putin could double down and escalate the war, causing conflict beyond Ukraine. This is at odds with the hopes being expressed by Ukrainian spokespeople that talks could result in moves to halt the invasion in the next few days.

• Advertisement

So no source from you either.

You don’t address the question, rant and accuse me of whataboutery?

Of course I do, as linked below - I find it rather inexplicable you couldn't have tried to find this out for yourself no, but that would have taken away an opportunity to for to "just ask a question" in the name of deflecting, denying, excusing Russian conduct in the war.

We won't hold our breath waiting for your condemnation of the shooting of unarmed civilians by Russian forces.

Or indeed any Russian conduct. No matter how many atrocities or war crimes they commit.

Now that your initial charade has been found out, what will your next excuse be for this Russian behaviour?

At this point we have ZERO reason to disbelieve the version of events below. ZERO. Come back to us when you do have something other than scurrilous nonsense.

Camilli told The Associated Press news agency that she was at the hospital when Arredondo arrived and that Arredondo himself had been wounded, hit in the lower back when stopped at a Russian checkpoint. He told Camilli that he and Renaud were filming refugees fleeing the area when they were shot at while in a car approaching a checkpoint. The driver turned around but the firing at them continued, Arredondo added.

Brent Renaud: US journalist killed in Ukraine | Russia-Ukraine war News | Al Jazeera

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

Gasparov is very critical of Putin, that's nice, but he is not highly exposed to do anything about it, in my opinion.

But what West/South Europe and non-European allies don't understand is that the issue is not Putin himself. The issue is Russian psyche and Russian system of government in general. Russia has almost no intelligentsia left, there's been at least 5 waves of emigrations over last 100 years. You are left with essentially serfs who are easy to control. This is almost 1984 like situation in real world.

Remove Putin and then what? Who will come next? The population is decimated, brainwashed and under mind control, plus vast majority have the messianic Russian ideas ingrained in them.

Could you point out where it says the Russians opened fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This is embarrassing, self back patting rubbish that needs to stop.

We don't need to see that. Everyone knows that the Russian forces are cowardly murderers, targeting hospitals, residential blocks, using thermobaric and cluster munitions, in their increasingly desperate efforts to occupy an independent state.

There can be no doubt that war crimes are being committed by the Russian armed forces in Ukraine.

No reasonable person doubts the criminal nature of the Russian invasion.

Except your good self, it appears...

They fled back to Ukranian side to receive treatment. If they were being fired at from the Ukranian side that would make no sense.

There is ZERO basis for the scurrilous smokescreen you throw up to deflect any Russian atrocity. Looking for some CSI level standard of evidence you never look for in relation to anything pro-Russian.

Are you even sure there is a war on in Russia? Oh wait, sorry, special military operation? How do we know the checkpoint was even a Russian checkpoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Money talks. India facing rising bills and are considering buying discounted Russia oil and gas. Similar with fertiliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's like the life of brian where brians execution is underway and everyone is walking up and patting him on the back and saying well done you and walking away and he there looking to be rescued!

Only a fool would take everything reported in wartime on face value.

People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt.

Otto Von Bismark

• Advertisement

Can you show us your previous posts where you debunked or queried a Russian lie?

Can you perhaps give us a summary of Russian versions of events you are satisfied were lies?

How about that the Ukranians were shelling themselves? Do you accept or reject this Russian lie?

Or that they staged the attack on the maternity hospital? Do you accept or reject this Russian lie?

How about that the Ukranian government is run by Nazis? Do you accept or reject this Russian lie?

Any neutral observer, of which you claim to be but are not, would reasonable conclude that the scale and extent of Russian lies in this campaign simply bears no comparison with the quality of information on the Ukranian side which may have inflated the extent of casualties inflicted \ received \ aircraft downed etc\ the performance of their armed forces.

Therefore, on the basis of the available information there are zero grounds at present for doubting that the reporter was killed by Russian forces.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

They aren't actually doing a U-turn.

They are just hiding what they previously said.For now, while it doesn't look good.They haven't actually come out and said "We take all that back and our new stance is now this".

There's a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

It fits the pattern, established from a myriad well-documented reports by now. Completely so.

Russians are either following orders to fire indiscriminately for terrorising the Ukrainian civil population.

Or they are absolutely terrified of getting ambushed and firing indiscriminately as a self-protecting measure.

Let me guess: where does it show this is a Russian BMP?

FFS 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I see the "Putin is terrible but" club is out in force on this thread. They'll never stop, some of these individuals hate the West more than Putin does. At least he doesn't carry out a pretense of being "objective". Good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,457 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes and not a peep out of him about all the Afghans killed in the months preceding the US pull out, hundreds in fact, in schools, Bazaars, etc. but these don't count because they were carried out by the Taliban / Isis.etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

Ignoring Clear Mod Instructions

@ODriscoll - Do not post in this thread again

I take everything BOTH sides say with a large pinch of salt. I don’t blindly accept everything the Ukrainians say because they are the good guys.

I don’t think you or many others on this thread can cast themselves in the role of a “neutral observer”.

You mentioned I never look for evidence in anything reported that is “pro Russian”.

Firstly I would if I could find anything reported that is pro Russian. I would question its veracity.

Secondly I think it’s instructive that you regard the tragic killing of a journalist as somehow pro Ukrainian.

People seem to have lost perspective, believing everything they want to believe without the remotest inkling of scepticism.

The Ukrainian police chief first reported that he was killed by Russian shelling at a checkpoint. I thought it was curious that the Russians would be shelling their own checkpoint.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/national-international/u-s-journalist-brent-renaud-killed-near-kyiv/2893829/?amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There is a poster on this thread and their entire schtick is:

1. Find some detail to query - always either attacking the Ukraine/NATO/Western narrative or directly in support of the Russian narrative, in a "Hey, I'm just asking questions?" way so they cannot be accused of trolling.
    2. Engage with it in a manner which shows that they weren't actually looking for an the answer to their question. In other words they were not asking the question in good faith. Instead they were setting up a "gotcha" trap in which they lure other posters into tedious back and forth exchanges.
    3. Since they always have to get the last post in these exchanges drag over multiple pages of the thread clogging it up with tedious arguments
    4. This is to the detriment of the entire thread

To everyone else: What that poster is trying to do will not work if people do not engage with them. Their questions are bait. Don't fall for it. They have already been banned from the Current Affairs Russia thread.

Advertisement