Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is oil type important when it comes to diesel cars? 😶

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes, very. Especially on newer ones.

The manufacturer will have a spec for the particular car, and once the oil meets that spec you should be fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 661 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Reminds me of my old Punto, it was seeping oil that I couldn't be bothered fixing. I poured all sorts of crap into 😂 Loved that car. Never gave me any trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Would the seeping oil not be classed as trouble?😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Only if you forgot to top it up.

My old punto took unnatural amounts of abuse when I had it, great little cars.

Head gasket was the only thing to go, but that's basically a consumable part in them.

A fox killed the engine in the end.

• Advertisement

in the owners manual it says 5W-40 but i have a container of 10W-40 in the garage can i chuck it in? its a 12 yr old citroen diesel 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's better to have your oil leaking than burning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

You can put that in.

I wouldn't recommend it but you can put it in.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

I can't get at the sump nut on my car(please don't ask)..so I'm just wondering can I drain the oil from the oil filter resivour ? even it meant jacking up the car from the driver side??😶

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You can get pumps that'll extract it via the dipstick hole or that.

May take a while though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You would only get a bit of it out from the filter. Why can't you get to sump bolt? Is it one of those cars that have panels. I know it's a pain but those panels can come off by removing a bunch of bolts or nuts.

Yep it's a panel☹️ can't get at all the fixings studs even when up on ramps

As Tazzimus said you can buy an extractor that you shove down the dipstick hole and extract the oil that way.

Does the car have a dipstick? Some cars don't.

As Tazzimus said, I'd jus get an oil extractor. I got a cheap one on Screwfix years ago and it has been very handy.

Can you get to filter easily enough?

Have you got a link to that screwfix one?

Anyone in the know on MK2 golf's. I didn't know the GTi was turbo charged back then, I thought they were all n/a. Looks to be coil on plugs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Looks like a 1.8 20v engine from a Mk4 or the likes.

Very clever painting the block, gearbox, alternator etc black, much easier than trying to keep up with all the oil leaks.

Makes sense. looked to be a modern engine alright especially with coil on plugs for the time.

I got this one but it was about half the price it is now so maybe shop around

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/oil-fluid-extractor-6ltr/21663

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 661 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I got a custom cover for my little classic and I was dubious it would fit but I tell ya what it fits like a glove! Was very surprised, I expected it to be a generic MX-5 one but nope.

• Advertisement

Where'd you get it?

Got it from the site below, I think they are based in Poland. As usual tried a few Irish sites and none got back to me.

https://www.cover-zone.eu/

Cheers, I'll give them a go. Need one for my Golf.

Well I managed to get a quicker 80-120 km/h time in 4th gear on Friday night. Went out testing the car for about 15 mins. Bare in mind it is a 3 pot one litre so pretty good considering. That chip was money well spent. My car is a bit like a diesel from 115-140hp in that it is not great from a dig(standing still launch) as in it bogs down and pulls timing and no way to switch off traction control. The diesels mentioned are no good 0-100 km/h either unless you got a more powerful performance model car but all that torque in diesels make them great at over taking in 3rd or 4th gear in speeds roughly 80-120 km/h. They can be the same times as DC2 and S2000(two cars I was always eying up over the years) when over taking in 4th gear. But the Honda's mentioned if leaving off the line from zero would shoot off in front of the diesel cars mentioned above but the lack of torque makes them over take in 4th gear the same times as those diesel cars and mine.

This is tested from a VBox Sport. So not some cheap OBDII socket device or an app that says it can test the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I changed the oil in my diesel car and within a day it turned jet black..is this normal?😶

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

Yes perfectly normal. No idea why it happens tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Had my old and now aulfellas 320d's intake carbon cleaned the other day using BG's Platinum Intake Service and am very happy with the results and how's it's driving since. Supposedly it's the next best thing to physically removing carbon from the valves by way of hand or walnut blasting. Also through in a tin of BG245 for the fuel and injectors side of things.

Pulling a lot better between 1700-3000rpm since as it was down a good 30 or so bhp on the dyno. Joe Power was the only person (after trying a couple of others) who was able to narrow down the issue for me to either fuel or air as he couldnt get it to smoke on the dyno. Happy out now 😀

Where would you find out what oil your car takes. It is not written in owners manual it just says check service documentation but I did not get that. And it's not written on oil filler or any where on car either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Advertisement