Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Stunning, love that colour, very, very classy. Finally a premium electric car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

I think bmw will get plenty lads like me in the current 4gc to trade into the i4, and plenty of those company 520d/530e driven around the m50 and in the city with one person in the car.

it’s a winner imho. I honestly couldn’t care less about it not being a ground up BEV. it doesn’t affect the car in any way imho.

for my driving needs, I’d still choose the base tesla €49k m3, but in the €65k range I’d have the i4 40 msport all day long versus a m3 LR. 100 times out of 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So, can anyone confirm, the m-sport adds nothing but fake leather seats (instead of cloth) and a leather steering wheel, different (same 18" size) wheels and a better choice of colours? Nothing to do with an upgraded suspension system or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Think the guy in the i4 was looking in his rear view thinking the same thing. 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

pretty much yep. you need to tick MSport ‘plus’ for the big pack of extras.

I ticked it on my ICE 4gc because you got meaningful upgrades like the 8-speed ZF (immaterial to EV), performance brakes (immaterial to EV), upgraded stereo and widescreen infoT (standard on EV) - soI think I’d pass on it this time, as it seems to be adaptive suspension, upgraded lights and a few other bits that don’t really enhance the experience enough imho. The normal version of each option all looks fine in normal mSport form, and it’s a €3-4k pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

But it does impact it unfortunately, less usable interior space and no frunk for a start.

I had a glc and one of the reasons I went for an Etron over the eqc was the fact the etron was a dedicated ev and the eqc was compromised.

Haha

im with you fitz that grey would not be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭creedp

Some new dedicated EVs dont have funks either. The much heralded dedicated EV platform used by VW including the premium Q4 etron has no funk. Even the frunk in the Ioniq 5 and EQ6 are very limited when compared to the Tesla or Mustang Mach E

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

So today is officially launch day for the i4, and not a single customer car in the country :)

Yeah, but you dont have a package that designed to hold a giant straight 6 engine and drivetrain where that space is being used for SFA. Also the cabin has been raised to make room for the batteries making it a high off the ground car, I was quite surprised by that...its small SUV height rather than low like a M4 or 4 series GC. I honestly thought it was a X4. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but compromises have been made for the sake of getting it to market quick.

Frunks are mostly pointless but they serve one important function, holding charging cables and that frees up space in the boot. They are bulky and really do occupy space in the boot that you need for bags and practical everyday stuff. And you carry them all the time but use them infrequently.

• Advertisement

As fitz said frunk is useful for charging cables and that kind of paraphernalia and that’s the lesser issue compared to the way they have had to package the car because of the ice configuration.

wont matter to everyone but it’s a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I wouldn't be arsed using the frunk for anything but the granny cable. I'd charge in work etc. so would use the AC cable regulars enough so having it in the frunk would be annoying as it usually gets quite dirty in there. Most EVs have an area under the boot to keep it out of the way and tidy. Hopefully no more of the ugly bags that the Leaf's and Zoe's came with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

the 'frunk' would be of very little use to me. Rarely would I ever even have the boot full - apart from maybe going on holidays loaded with suitcases and that is just to the airport. When I did a couple of weeks away in the 330e last summer (which has practically no boot) I had a roof box and no issue with a family of four on the road for space.

Wouldn’t have minded a frunk on the i4 given the HK subwoofer takes up the majority of the space in the under compartment in the boot

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pjackson

Drove I4 40 M Sport from Frank Keane Blackrock this PM. Never driven EV so my experience may not be of much value. However for what it's worth my impressions are. Loads of poke but need to be careful with accelerator, I was only driving 9mbthe local roads under 50 limit. Drive train did not feel totally smooth mainly due to the level of what I would have called engine braking when lifting off. I am guessing there are options to modulate this. Ride firm but plush enough. Interior is good quality but fake leather is a bit of a let down. Sat in back and was OK for me at 5 foot 11 but person in middle seat would be a real squash. Good boot - looks bit enough to easily take full size golf bag. I am looking at Feb 23 and was told that they would expect to meet this with a deposit down. In reality who knows. I will be having a think but as an ICE petrol fan I'm not sure whether I want to sign up to the EV experience yet. Decisions decisions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’m in this exact boat.

Currently thinking of selling the Model S Performance. Getting fantastic trade in from Tesla that can’t be matched privately so making it hard to move from Tesla.

I have an M3 LR on order for August delivery but I was looking at the i4 but it doesn’t do enough for me EV wise.

I think the M3 LR has more range, better performance and more space.

The ground up EV matters especially in the back with that transmission tunnel!

I currently have a 520d and 530e in the garden so have access to the bmw “premium” car as mentioned above 🤣 if required and that’s after a long list of V8 and 6 pot BMW’s over the years.

Was told today I should have my i4 by next week. It’s sat in Zeebrugge at the moment due on a ship to Dublin this week. Travel time, clearance in Dublin, transport to & PDI at the dealers all on top Thursday/Friday days off hoping for Wednesday week collection.

Frunks are very little use when you dont have one, they are handy enough when you do.

You’ll be the envy of all with a premium EV like that. When did you order it?

The 5 of us went on holidays in the car and we brought the dog too. Without the massive frunk we would have needed a roofbox, no thanks. Mind most of the year I don't use the frunk at all.

• Advertisement

Lol, I expect Taycan, eTron GT, EQS owners might disagree with you. Ordered last summer.

At the very least he won’t have to worry about the crap quality of bmw timing chains or the fire starting egr 😂

At least it won’t look like a generic hatch or saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anyone a rough idea of lease costs per month on an I4?

Nope, just a grill with 4 wheels.

im actaully due to test drive this weekend in duffys. Should be interesting.

Post edited by Gumbo on

I think we need a ‘don’t fed the troll’ sign around here….

Indeed, I completely agree, your new car is much much more than a grill with four wheels and nothing has ever fell off my BMW, the very best of luck with your new car.

Completely agree.

best of luck with the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Went for a test drive today in the 40edrive. Was amazed at how quite it was, very little road noise. Got an ear bashing from wife for not warning her before I floored the accelerator! 😂

Heads up display crystal clear in bright sunshine.

Extremely comfy drive in comfort mode, cushions bumps well.

I found the auto braking very weird and made the drive a little jerky, purely down to not been used to it.

Acceleration was unreal coming from a 204hp A6. The M50 must feel brutal when flooring it.

Can’t wait for delivery of ours, was due in April but still no date. Sales guy said they are still not getting dates from bmw for the 40s…Ukraine war really messed up components.

Mentioned a lot of customers starting to complain. Not much bmw can do in fairness to them.

• Advertisement

Acceleration in even a 12 year old Leaf is unreal when you're coming from a diesel Audi 😂

Hope you get your car soon though. I'd say you will be delighted with it.

Advertisement