Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I condemn Russian Nazis as strongly as I condemn Ukrainian Nazis.

Do you? Or do you approve of the good Nazis and disapprove of the bad Nazis?

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/02/neo-nazi-groups-recruit-britons-to-fight-in-ukraine

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are Ukraine the good guys? Can you confirm that is your opinion? Ukraine are fighting legitimately against an illegitimate Russian invasion? Yes or no? An illegitimate Russian invasion which is a war crime as an act of aggressive warfare? Yes or no?

Strange how your curiosity never extends on this thread to anything Pro Russian reported in the media, or made by their official representative or outlets. You are the one without perspective or balance -or at least that is how your posts are seen from what you have posted here. Your thoughts only ever run in one direction, or are allowed to. And that is only ever to question the Ukranian reports or Western media. Have you ever on this thread questioned a Russian version of events? Because apparently you don't just automatically assume they are lies... and yet none of those questions made it to this thread. So you say one thing, but your actions (posts) show a different pattern.

Nope, yet again you run away from any question directly put to them which in answering could be interpreted in any way as critical of Russia.

I refer to the previous questions which have been directly put to you about Russian lies and whether you accept or reject them.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@SafeSurfer - People seem to have lost perspective, believing everything they want to believe...

What an extremely accurate self-description.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Well its hard to disagree with your description of the situation, While i would question any information being put out by the Russian state (support in Russia for Putin, the war, 'the weather'), i have no doubt that propaganda works. And many Russians (perhaps a majority) do genuinely believe the official story. And yes the brain drain is real.

The fact is this is Russia's problem. We cannot fix it, only they can. The west will continue to offer the news, based on reality, and some of it will leak into Russia. The 20th century Russian, 'holding a radio to their ear to listen to the BBC Russian World Service', has been replaced by his 21st century counterpart. Using the TOR browser to access foreign news services and reports. Will it make a difference? I dont know. i hope so, but we wont know for some time

The other thing is the soldiers. Clearly the Russians will continue to downplay the seriousness of the conflict. 'Official casualties' will remain low, and the Putin Regime will continue to paint the war in glowing terms. But they have no control over what the average Russian soldier sees in the Ukraine. He is going to come home, with thousands (if not tens of thousands) of body bags. That will be a narrative, difficult to spin. They will talk, and some people will listen. And the horrors of this misadventure will become common knowledge, in stark contrast to the official narrative

Eric Bogle said it better than i ever could:

And so now every April, I sit on me porch

And I watch the parades pass before me

And I see my old comrades, how proudly they march

Reviving old dreams of past glories

And the old men march slowly, old bones stiff and sore

They're tired old heroes from a forgotten war

And the young people ask, "what are they marching for?"

And I ask myself the same question

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

• Advertisement

Of course I condemn the Russian invasion.

If people want an echo chamber or a safe space in which only one view is allowed and the thread becomes a nodding dog with analysis limited to how terrible the Russians are, which there are.

If everything is dismissed and posters are accused of being pro Russian or even Russian for pointing out facts like the presence of Neo Nazis in Ukrainian forces or that some Ukrainian reports are not 100% true then perhaps start a thread where only one view is allowed.

As for some other posters. If you cannot stand for your opinion to be queried or share a thread with people whose views differ from yours why do you engage in a “discussion” board.

Regarding uploading a photo of the lotto and eaten Taytos I think it doesn’t bode well for a United Ireland that posters are convinced that someone who doesn’t share their opinion simply cannot be Irish.

In any case I haven’t played the lotto since a quick pick was €2 and I am more of a Kings crisps fan than Tayto .

I am also unconvinced that fellow Boardsies would appreciate a photo of “eaten Taytos”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This is interesting. They really are tacking toward the centre in recent times. Pierce Doherty was on the Irish Times Politics podcast last week and at one stage of the conversation he referred to Sinn Fein as a "centre-left" party. My ears pricked up when I heard that. They always referred to themselves as a party of the "left". It was the first time I had ever heard them use the centre-left description.

To be honest, I'll take it if the alternative was for them to be Putin-apologists like PBP basically are with their both-sides-ing every time they spoken on the topic recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

That isn't a different view point though. It is a completely separate topic. Any neo nazis in Ukraine have no relevance to this war any more than what their murder rate is. I am sure there are many terrible people in the Ukraine. That does not justify this invasion and it isn't a reason it happened either. You are just repeating a propaganda piece.

This is something that I've been thinking about as well.

It does seem like a long shot though - a lot of things would need to happen to end up in a scenario where the Chinese are annexing sections of the far east of Russia. Putin is no Gorbachev. He wouldn't be one for a peaceful collapse so he'd have to be out of the way for one.

It may be rather self serving in a way. But there is precedent for all of this. Id compare it to Remingtons tweet last week

I saw this and commented on it in CA. Then i done some research (contacted someone with more knowledge RE military munitions. Seems that the above could only supply basic ammo which is widely available in Ukraine, and easier to source closer to the region. So its just PR.

The thing is @Pussyhands PR does matter. If it did not, the Russians would not bother with their current 'carpet bombing' of the global media with their false narrative. So i view the knighthood as positive. Its not going to help win the war, but its a salvo in the PR conflict. Do remember also that Russia has long history of handing buckets of medals, to itself, and its soldiers/generals. Plenty of jokes on this over the years

"Leonid is in surgery."

"His heart again?"

"No, chest expansion surgery, to make room for one more Gold Star medal."

@Pussyhands - Just in general. Iv been responding to you for a few days, Think you have replied a few times (Turning point, the drone etc) - I think we certainly have a different take on a few things, and maybe even on the war in general. iv questioned your tone a few times also. But there are others on the thread who are, in my view, trying to derail it. Repeatedly posting nonsensical Moscow-sourced-disinformation, dodging criticism, and in effect spamming the thread with irrelevant and/or easily falsified statements. Even in disagreeing with you on many things, i do not view your posts in the same light as the aforementioned. I think there is a big difference there, and i have personally noted it. Anyway, call it an olive branch if you want but.. happy to debate

• Advertisement

Yes the Russian invasion is wrong and I condemn it.

You want me to “confirm” that the Ukrainians are the “good guys”. They are defending their country and have every right to do it. This doesn’t mean that good guys are not capable of bad actions. However any even hint of the “good guys” being whiter than white, however true and verifiable is pounced on as evidence of someone being pro Russian or a Putin bot.

The USSR was invaded in WWII by the Nazis. It was clear who the “good guys” and the “bad guys” were. It doesn’t mean the Red Army was beyond the massacre of POWs and civilians and the rape of millions of women and girls.

So you can see that while it is tempting for us to see everything as good vs evil, good people can do bad things and bad people can do good things.

As regards Russian propaganda I don’t see any or watch any or quite frankly believe any. I was convinced Russia would not invade Ukraine, they said they would not and then did.

This does not mean that everything that is being reported by the Ukrainian side should be reported verbatim by the media of a country not involved in the conflict such as Ireland. Even though the overwhelming public opinion is entirely pro Ukrainian, truth still matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Cheers. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, but I hate people coming along and just shouting "comrade", "how many roubles you getting?", "you're a putin apologist" and also people choosing to ignore direct words I've said in favour of "tone", whatever that means.

I don't think we have that much a different view. I'm against the war, Russias fault etc but I don't see the west as being perfect and I'll call them out if I see fit, doesn't mean I support Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ok then.

Just to give you an idea of the level coming out of Russia.

"Attacks against their own nuclear facilities have become the signature of the current Ukrainian regime. The blame for this lies squarely with Kiev, the American masters of Vladimir Zelensky and US vassals in @NATO"

Perhaps you should be giving the benefit of the doubt to Ukranian versions of events unless you have something solid to question it, other than "doubts". And that in the fog of war, CSI level investigations are not possible. However we can reasonably draw conclusions from the available information - and available Russian disinformation.

And the available information shows a pattern of indiscrminate Russian attacks on civilian targets.

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1503319535356727301

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I think Sinn Fein are doing the right thing, I think many have been opposed to NATO for many years, and not without reason (North Atlantic Treaty Organization, operating in Afghanistan etc) - its complicated, and there were two sides to this - thats from my exp in college.

I think this is an attempt to build a 'cavity wall' between them, and PbP - i have a friend who compaigns for PbP, and they asked me what i thought. I felt i had to be stark and say, if it were me, i would disassociate from them. PbP are in a state of what i will call 'Moral Confusion', and willfully so, it seems. I voted for them in the past (not 1st prefs but certainly they were in the mix) - that will NOT be the case now

Im happy for any political party or politician to alter position. It means they are in touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

but when they criticise other political parties for not taking a hard enough stance against the Russians, it screams a tad hypocritical….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I haven't read all of the back and forth posts but your sentence about not having played the lotto since a quick pick was €2 and being more of a Kings crisps fan just reminds me so much of call centre employees desperately answering questions about what the weather is like where they are and where they live to try and convince me that they actually are based in Ireland.

I have no interest in where you actually are, that just leapt out and amused me.

Yes, PBP seem to be stuck in the 2003 mindset where it really was all the USA (and NATO)'s fault. They've been involved in places like Libya in more recent times (still a decade ago) where it wasn't so black and white but for the most part it's being about retreating from the messes that they got themselves into 20 years ago.

There's possibly some hang-up about criticising Russia from the hard-left as well since the Russian Federation is the main natural descendent of the Soviet Union which was the dominant power for hard-left politics in the 20th century.

In both cases they are living in the distant past. The irony is that modern Russia is the most fascist state in Europe by quite a large mile now. For hard left parties to be offering up milquetoast criticisms of them is just plain weird from an ideological point of view. Then again, unlike parties of the left in other countries, they oppose the property tax so they have a history of being ideologically messed up.

I think in one respect we are all so used to having certain views of USFP, and Western Policy making since 9/11. Many mistakes, missteps and willful misadventure. We are also all used to their being some balance to these conflicts. My uncle who i met at a wedding this weekend, stated that he is having great issues deciding on this.

'Liam, its being portrayed as the most black and white war since vietnam.' - its a valid point. The problem, as i see it, is the failings of the past 20+ years, means we all EXPECT balance. And are actively looking for it. But IMHO, its not present. This conflict is as black and white as its possible to get. Its the most black and white since world war 2 - imho

i think there is a willful 'moral confusion' in equating many of these previous crises with what we are witnessing in the current situation. One of my favorite authors Sam Harris talks frequently about 'Intention' as being vital to understanding the goals and judgement of a state or non-state actor. If we look at previous conflicts and ask the 'intention' question; it is very difficult. Iraq (topple Saddam, democratize, Oil, etc). Afghanistan (Topple the Taliban, democratize, natural resources etc)

The intention in this crisis,is fairly blunt. Russia is trying to conquer the Ukraine, either by destroying their government and replacing it with a puppet - or full scale annexation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

politics 101 - the world has changed. I expect all (most anyway) are re-evaluating their positions on many issues, from irish neutrality, to NATO, to EU Militarization. Name calling is politics 101 imho

I couldn't agree with you more. Two patterns ,may emerge from this situation.

One is in touch with reality. The world has changed. They are AWARE of this. There positions reflect this. Certainly old opinions will be weaponized and we can expect much name calling and hypocrisy being thrown around.

The other is NOT in touch with reality. Will continue to offer 'morally confused' positions on NATO Imperialism. and EU Aggression. Will also (imho) become very difficult to take seriously

• Advertisement

😄

Perhaps we could design a shibboleth to verify posters Irishness.

I think the thing that marks me out most as being Irish is spending 13 years learning the language and the only phrase I remember is asking permission to go to the loo!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

With regard to providing accommodation for refugees, I’m a little worried about the potential legal aspects of this. What if you eventually need them to leave or it simply doesn’t work out? Are they protected under tenancy law?

for anyone who doubts this particular footage - the aftermath of it has been documented on twitter, and there exists a video of what remains of the innocent civilians in that car. I will not post it hear. Its available, iv seen it, and was horrified and sickened. and yes, its criminal - its a war crime

"And the available information shows a pattern of indiscriminate Russian attacks on civilian targets."

The available information shows that Russia are attempting to limit collateral damage.

Anyone with knowledge of warfare knows what indiscriminate attacks on civilians from a large military looks like. In WW2 some bombings resulted in tens of thousands of civilian causalities in a single night. This is indiscriminate bombing.

In Iraq there was thousands of civilian deaths in the opening weeks of the invasion. Perhaps 4000 in the first 10 days. This is a Western-style invasion with an attempt to minimize collateral damage.

In Ukraine, United Nations reports 600 civilian causalities after 3 weeks. What does that more closely resemble - indiscrimate attacks on civilians or a Western-style attempt to limit collateral damage? This is not whataboutism, it is using numbers to get an unbiased idea of what is happening over there.

Russia have no shortage of high-altitude bombers and conventional (dumb) munitions. They could level Ukraine if they wanted, totally safe from manpads. We have not seen this. We have seen them use a significant proportion of their known stockpile of expensive precision munitions. We have seen their pilots fly low at great risk (from manpads) to more accurately deliver munitions. Many have been shot down in the process. This is a simple military observation: a side who intends to indiscriminately target civilians does not waste precision munitions, planes and pilots in this manner. They would bomb cities from 50,000 feet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They would not be tenants - They aren't paying rent , the agreement will be between the Red Cross (or other organisation) and the home-owner, not the actual Ukrainian refugee.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I believe anyone living in a property after 6 months is protected ,but if you are living with someone who invited by the owner occupier you to stay they are a licencee and can be kicked out at any time

The red cross said they will review the accommodations after 6 months , there will be issues going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@[Deleted User] - a side who intends to indiscriminately target civilians does not waste precision munitions, planes and pilots in this manner.

Regardless.

Whether it's one or 50,000 who die, they are dead directly as a result of a despot ordering an invasion and using weapons to kill.

Attempting to limit civilian casualties, when you know for sure that there are going to be casualties, is therefore still indiscriminate in my eyes.

We have not seen aerial bombings - YET.

What we have seen is an escalation of force, and deliberate targeting of civilian infrastructure - followed swiftly by outrageous statements that 'said buildings were occupied by NAZI/Nationalist troops'

Its not speculation to suggest that things will continue to escalate. We MAY YET SEE, more deliberate use of indiscriminate munitions. Another point of confusion, you mention 'precision munitions' - as to suggest Russia is using them. Well, they aren't very precise are they? Hospitals? Factories? Apartment blocks?

I wont touch the equivocation between Iraq and the Ukraine - trying to compare the two conflicts is pure confusion and false equivalency

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

It’s an interesting proposition, but not supported by the targeting of civilian buildings and infrastructure.

There is little doubt that Russia, by not carpet-bombing the whole of Ukraine from one end to the other, is exercising ‘restraint’.

But the clear and deliberate targeting of dense population centres away from military objectives is fully out of the Syrian playbook.

• Advertisement

I presume you didn’t accuse your uncle of being a Putin apologist or Russian bot for expressing a different opinion.

I presume you didn’t ignore your uncle and recommend everyone else do the same because his interpretation of events was different from yours.

Advertisement