Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Football League Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And the GAA have capped it. Colm O'Rourke made a good point is 3-4 sessions a week the tops a student or a full-time worker should be doing.

Managers would have players doing session between gym and training sessions seven days a week.....and that is at club level not to mind county.

It's up to players to take a collective decision. This is like 10+ years ago where managers started enforcing the single code rule. We had Davy Fitz it seems insisting in Wexford that only hurler's have access to the center of excellence. How come the hurling panel did not stand up for there fellow county panel.

Again I will explain it to you so you can understand.

The GAA can only set parameters it's up to players to insist on these parameters being adhered to.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Treble double

Th

You want the players to do it all, play, train, bring the crowds in, generate the revenue, so that management teams and pundits alike can be handsomely paid.

These same players, that it is argued, by said pundits, shouldn't be entitled to compensation for the expenses they incurr for every session they attend.

And on top of that you want the players countrywide to get together and agree go enforce parameters set by the GAA.

How do they organise this big nationwide get together when they are foot to the floor trying to compete against each other every week and in doing so keeping the revenue flooding in.

Scully should have never got a black card the same as Hampsey should have never gotten a 2nd yellow. Players go down too easy these days

Straight red for a shoulder that Costello made a meal of. Will you ever give over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

love the way colm o'rourke spend the first half of league Sunday preaching about the amature gaa and the fact players should be happy to do it for nothing

but at the end of the show he describes cavans bullshit agreement to move a game form corrigan park to a bigger venue which could take a crowd of nearly 15000 as a great idea?

if the game was amature and local tough **** ....i taught!

• Advertisement

We will look at it another way. These payments are coming from central funds. Most counties at this stage will have four team, adult hurling and football, ladies football and hurling.

What will unlimited session cost. The milage rate is 65c/ km. At 50 km average travel to training both the ways for three session for 30 weeks of the year it's 5.8/ year. 30 players per panel( some are hitting nearly 40) for 4 adult teams is for every county. It's nearly 22.5 million. That fir three sessions a week. For 5 sessions it's 35 million. The 18 million surplus that the GAA made last year that was distributed to counties and clubs is gone.

The GAA found it nearly impossible to enforce collective training band last year during COVID hie the hell can it monitor and manage the number of training sessions.

I agree the situation regarding coaches, managers and health and nutrition supports are gone crazy at county level and even club level.

If players feel they are out of pocket then the GPA should bring in a ban on unpaid sessions. But as I said Evey player and team is looking for an edge to win a Celtic cross.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Surely you realise there's a massive difference between hitting a player with a shoulder on the field of play and hitting a player with a shoulder while he's standing out on the terrace???

'cos if you don't...

What Hampsey did was crazy, he could have avoided Costello. If the boot was on the other four and Tyrone was 5-6 points up he do exactly what Costello did. Every players makes a meal of these incidents these days whether to stop the clock if it suits or to get an opposition player booked. What he did was dangerous play the yellow was the minimum.

It was on concrete Costello landed on his backside. If he slipped and wen down the wrong way and hit his head on a hoarding/barrier or on the concrete it could have been much more serious. Stupid of Hampsey he was on a card already. A straight red would not have been incorrect either.

Slava Ukrainii

Most lads do not understand half the GAA codes. This fall under the endangering another player. Thagh Morley got a straight red last year for a challenge in wet conditions in a league match A few team supporters were on about what could he do. As I said very little but it was a borderline straight red a the same.

It exactly the same here What Hampsey did was reckless if it Costello went down the wrong way. He did not but that didn't make what he did any less dangerous.

Slava Ukrainii

Costello knew what he was at.Went down like a big fanny. It's not like Hampsey ran 20 yards and hit him a shoulder.Do you think the likes of Barr,O'Se or McGeeney etc would have went down like that years ago.Not a chance

• Advertisement

Look at the video again. Costello was off balance. He fell backwards. Nobody and I mean nobody fall backwards onto concrete deliberately. Cop yourself on it was stupid. Ya when he went down he stayed down every player dose nowadays.

Hampsey was lucky it was not a straight red or that Costello did not go down harder. It was stupid of Hampsey. It was even more stupid because he was carded already.

What part of stupid do you not understand relating to this incident.

Slava Ukrainii

Costello wasn't off balance,had his right hand on the gate.Take off your blue tinted glasses and look at the video again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hampsey followed Costello off the field and hit him while both were well off the field.

It's not as if his momentum of following Costello made him make contact with Costello, he jogged up to Costello and made sure he hit him.

A stupid move for a player already on a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's a surprising take by Wolly. I'm shocked he thinks the Dublin player was in the wrong, shocked I tells ya.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove by showing the clip but it doesn't look any better from Hampsey. Beyond daft to do that on a concrete path. That looks like a genuine fall from Costello as well. You can see his hands come up and foot slide out. Why you think anyone would take a dive on concrete is beyond me?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Another lad with there blue tinted glasses on.Would you be saying same thing if it was the other way round

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

I would actually. The pitch is plenty big for hitting lads shoulders. Doing it off the ball, and off the pitch on concrete is bloody dangerous and I don't care who does it.

What about the box Fenton got yesterday off the ball? Any thought son that or is it just a one way street here?

The Small incident was done to death last year. McLoughlin was given a hospital ball of a pass and Small lined him up for a shoulder. It was a very unfortunate outcome for him but it wasn't thuggery or anything of the sort. That was a split second incident where the ball was there to be won and unfortunately for McLoughlin he was in an exposed position when he got hit. Nobody likes to see what happened to McLoughlin but acting as though Small went to do him is just plain wrong.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Ye man should have got the line for the box on Fenton and i agree with you on that. Anyway I won't say anymore on the Small incident,the chap has history. So we will leave it like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

That's a very kind interpretation Gael. I could think of a few less courteous ones myself.

The video on his Twitter is slowed down as well dose not show the real effect.

I am a neutral and watched the game live. When I saw it happen I was of the opinion that it was a red card offence for reckless behaviour. Costello head could have hit the ground first. Anybody that thinks different is not considering what happens in freak incidents. This had the potential to go seriously wrong and end up as a head injury

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He was shouldered into the chest with force while just standing on a concrete surface with studs…

why did Hampsey go near Costello ? 5 meters off the pitch, on concrete, he runs over to him, smack…he wasn’t trying to retrieve the ball, just attacking the player while the ball wasn’t in play and he was on a concrete surface… Costello never motioned to get near him, he was motionless.. one hand on the gate for his balance…studs on concrete..

if I’m a teammate of Hampsey or I’m Logan I’d be giving him a severe bollôcking for that, if it cost Tyrone the match we’ll never know but it certainly made life 1000 times more difficult for his teammates, gigantic idiocy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

I think something similar happened in league Clare and Tipp. Clare player collided accidently with a Tipp selector as was trying to retrieve ball and Tipp man banged his head and was taken to hospital. Freak accidents do happen and lucky no damage to Costello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah it seems it is only a vocal minority of Tyrone fans defending this. Those of a certain ‘mindset’.

All right thinking football fans, would be raging if a fella from their own team did that. Letting down a team through pointless stupidity.

Hampsey was not on the field of play. There was no sense to what he did. Just frustration and misplaced machismo. Not to mention the danger on hard concrete.

If Hampsey did not get sent off I would say Tyrone would have caught Dublin and got the two points. He let his teammates down and management team - simple as that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tyrone had the momentum then , not sure they’d have comeback as Dublin were savvy in the manner that they protected the lead, minded the ball in the later stages and were the better team but Tyrone they had a chance…which was markedly lessened by a stupid moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

I don't really agree that he wasted his potential or that he lacks in effort. He just about fulfilled his realistic potential imo - which is that he's a good player but not a great one and that the type of player he is had a shelf life and is sort of gone out of fashion now. I think a lot of expectations where heaped on him due to his minor years, but there are more players who don't kick on from their younger years than do and Aidan did better than most who have promising underage form.

Aidan's problem imo is that the game moved on from the type of player he is from about 2015. His natural position, where he is most comfortable, is midfield and he had his best years for Mayo in that position. I believe when the game started to steadily move towards more athletic pacey types in that position, he had difficulty adapting. I don't think that's for lack of trying btw. I do believe he tries hard, but he doesn't have natural pace and his natural body type wouldn't be particularly athletic (the body type is something I know for a fact he has worked very hard on but it's one of those things that can only be changed so much). He was never going to have a Brian Fenton-like physique or movement but that's the sort of midfielder people want now and that tends to flourish in the game. Aidan just isn't that type. They tried to mold him into a full forward but he isn't comfortable there clearly and doesn't have the pace for it anyway.

I think he's one of those players who sort of got lost in the evolution of the game a bit. I still think he has plenty to offer though off the bench though. As I said, the sheer physical presence of the man is great to bring on later in a game, and he's a great tackler and ball winner.

• Advertisement

It is hard to say if that is backing up my point or going against it. As it is a ‘what is rare is wonderful type of argument.’ Almost surprise from Moyles.

At the very least I do think sub is AO’S best role. Because I have seen him go completely absent in a lot of games I have seen him in the past. In particular live no movement looking ‘lost’ not involved. I can’t have been imagining all those occasions surely? There seems to be attempt to talk up a ‘new look’ AO’S. Finally trying?

Jury is still out for me I will be watching him in crunch games closely to see if he finally really can be a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭quidel7

Hmmmm, I thought he had no real influence on the game myself except for the last few minutes.

I’d agree with O’Rourke. 3-4 sessions is surely enough and anymore than that the GPA should be arguing against if they advocate against player burnout and are aiming to promote player wellbeing.

Have to laugh at the GPA... Players are training and playing matches like professionals, matches on Sky Sports and all.

And they've getting screwed out of mileage when they should be pushing for proper pay.

Fair play to the GAA though, must be the only sports operating at a professional level that's managed to keep the players amatuer.

How many dressing rooms and pitches could an organisation need?(and let's be honest they apply for Government funding left, right and centre to cover a lot of that). Running concerts and big events and every player is charged membership...biggest scam ever.

In general I think the GAA is one of best run sports organisations in the world. The fact still running so well while others in Ireland FAI, and worldwide Barcelona FC flounder. It stands up great and is unique.

OK some of the rule changes are daft, and they are slow to revamp some competitions past their purpose. But the fact that Gaelic Games are still flying and integral in many a community speaks volumes.

All this in the face of professional sports and against a well run IRFU. The GAA seems to be taken for granted by many. But in my view it has been the biggest constant sporting achievement in the history of anywhere on the island of Ireland or further afield.

If professionalism ever came into the GAA ‘officially’ it would kill the games. Like the way it has slowly killed Irish soccer.

The main reason the IRFU survived so well is because they were well heeled to start with and had business backing - and acumen. Developed their own systems for success.

The GAA has found it’s own way - in general lead by very capable people at the right times. In my view because of this they will never go that Irish soccer has.

The GAA is in many ways a phenomenon. And the envy of other sporting organisations in Ireland.

A push for professionalism in Gaelic football as some seem to be nudging towards, will kill the game fairly sharpish.

I notice the GPA are slow to mention the benefits being a high profile football / hurling player gives them. A ‘name’ so given a job because of that profile etc. Handy sales jobs or a high profile of their own business because of GAA.

Bernard Brogan, Paidi O’Se, Andy Moran. To name but three all did well because of their GAA profile in their livelihoods off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I am against professionalism but it would not kill the GAA as it did soccer because there would not be a glut of bigger foreign markets for players to leave for.

Also the IRFU lucked it's way into popular culture despite itself. The IRFU were big time against professionalism and at various levels actively discouraged wider participation. We were lucky to have a golden generation just as professionalism kicked off and in a sport where we will always be close to the top unlike soccer.

I don't think professionalism will kill the GAA but it will certainly kill the intercounty game for all but the top 10 in either code and probably ruin a few of the likes of Kilkenny, Cavan or Roscommon to name a few who would have a lot of history but maybe not the population to keep the money coming in.

English rugby union, league and also the Aussie rules are good examples of what would happen.

• Advertisement

Professionalism would kill the GAA. I hope it never happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,914 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Same. We'd be touching on potential franchising of teams etc then and an ugly amount of sponsorship/advertising on top of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'd imagine most rank and file GPA members would be either ambivalent or against the GAA turning professional. While obviously the big names get attention, the bulk of GPA members are from middling to weak counties. With professionalism would come a freedom to work/transfer system, and these players would be dropped in favour of the surplus from stronger counties. A solid club hurler in Galway might be nowhere near the Galway team but would be the best player on the Leitrim team for example.

Now you could say that if professionalism does come in they'll keep an amateur competition too for weak counties, but that'll just be an even less prestigious competition than what they currently play in. There's nothing in it for them if the GAA goes professional so I can see them either not caring or being against it.

This is before we even get to the huge obstacles regarding funding, what teams would play, whether fans would support it, player access etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Professionalism would never work in the GAA.

The market in Ireland is too small to support two indigenous sports.

If you had professional football it would probably only be able to support six teams

Dublin and one other in Leinster

One in Ulster

One in Connacht

Kerry and one other in Munster.

It's a non starter.

And anyway I don't think anyone is advocating full professionalism.

No and neither was I in the guise it's being mentioned when I said it earlier.

I was thinking of pay for play more than just expenses.

My own take it would have to be done on a similar level to that, maybe at best you are paid more for more games paid but flat fees and across the board with no transfers or any of that malarkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Could run into legal issues there though. If the GAA are explicitly paying players to play, they can't just exempt themselves from the laws on freedom to work/ do business which would inevitably bring about a transfer system. There's a reason they're very insistent on all current payments being "expenses" and "grants", because it means the game remains amateur and recreational and it falls outside the realm of employment and contract law, allowing them to restrict who plays for whom.

One potential way around this would be for the GAA to centrally contract every player, and keep them within their county as a term of their contract. This would mean that there's technically no restrictions on transfers or freedom to work, but there'd be no alternative employer so the players would be stuck where they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Good win for Tyrone and an important 2 points.

Mayo down 5 at ht and playing with the wind in second half. Closed the deficit pretty quickly but Tyrone went into defensive mode for the last quarter of an hour and Mayos attack in that last 20 minutes was woefully inept.

Mayo made poor work of several good chances both against and with the wind. They continue to lack a clinical nature in attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

In fairness they've 2 of the best forwards in the country out injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Couldn't get over the low quality and amount of basic errors of that match tonight, at least Mayo have the excuse of missing half of their championship team but what's Tyrone excuse?

They made little impact in years after winning the All-Ireland in 2004,2006 and 2009 so history may well repeat itself this year.

Tommy Conroy may be one of Mayos best forwards but let's be honest hes not one of the best forwards in country.

If that's your opinion, thats fine. It's my opinion that he is 👍

You wouldn’t need to be one of the best forwards in the country to finish off some of the chances they left after them.

Entitled to your opinion but for me the best forwards in the country are the likes Conor McManus, Con O'Callaghan, Kieran Kilkenny, Michael Murphy, Shane Walsh, Sean O'Shea, David Clifford etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement