Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I would disagree in terms of the acreage now under its production - indeed its even worse in the US with 40% of the corn crop now going to ethanol production, criminal when you think about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

@Birdnuts

Are you counting the acreage wasted growing grass for AD plants in those figures as well? Not to mention the massive extra diesel usage in chopping it down to 5mm in length. A brutally inefficient way of producing energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Thoroughly agree about suspending biofuel production. The Maghreb and Levant are totally dependent on cheap Black Sea grains. I think that GASC (Egyptian grain buying board) suspended the last wheat tender because of price. If this price trend continues it will get very serious in these regions.

On the other hand the EU, US and Brazil only have energy on their mind right now and there won’t be any food shortages in these countries so…

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Lakelands - 18-6-12 (No sulpher) - 985euro

Homeland - Any local stores I rang don't have any in stock and no idea if or when they will......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

Kerry have suspended all fertiliser sales for 1 week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Bio - ethanol production uses about the same amount of energy( fuel,sprays fert , transport) as it produces ,

So the pump price in the states around harvest will affect what happens to that corn in a huge way , a huge amount of it could end up being diverted into the feed industry - infrastructure could be key ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭ginger22

The share of incomes spent on staples is about to jump everywhere. ( The Economist )

In October 1914 the Ottoman Empire, having just joined the first world war, blockaded the Dardanelles Strait, the only route for Russian wheat to travel to Britain and France. The world had entered the conflict with wheat stocks 12% above the five-year average, but losing over 20% of the global traded supply of the crop overnight set food markets ablaze. Having risen by a fifth since June 1914, wheat prices in Chicago, the international benchmark, leapt by another 45% over the following quarter.

Today Russia and Ukraine, respectively the largest and fifth-largest wheat exporters, together account for 29% of international annual sales. And after several poor harvests, frantic buying during the pandemic and supply-chain issues, global stocks are 31% below the five-year average. But this time it is the threat of embargoes from the West that has lit a bonfire—and the flames are higher than even during the Great War. Wheat prices, which were already 49% above their 2017-21 average in mid-February, have risen by another 30% since the invasion of Ukraine started on February 24th. Uncertainty is sky-high: indicators of price volatility compiled by IFPI, a think-tank, are flashing bright red.

Rabobank, a Dutch lender, reckons wheat prices could climb by another third. But the damage to global food supply will extend far beyond the grain—and last longer than the war itself. Together Russia and Ukraine export 12% of the calories traded worldwide. They rank among the top five exporters of many oilseeds and cereals, from barley and corn to sunflowers, consumed by humans and animals. Russia alone is the biggest supplier of key ingredients in the making of fertilisers, without which crops falter or lose nutrients.

In February, even before the war started, a food-price index compiled by the un Food and Agriculture Organisation had reached an all-time high; the number of people deemed food-insecure, at 800m, was at its highest for a decade. Many more could soon join them. Higher food prices will also stoke inflation, adding to the price pressures generated by dearer energy.

The fallout from the war will be felt in three ways: disruption to current grain shipments, low or inaccessible future harvests in Ukraine and Russia, and withered production in other parts of the world. Start with shipments. In normal times wheat and barley crops are harvested in the summer and exported in the autumn; by February most ships are gone. But these are not normal times: with global stocks low, big importers of Black Sea wheat, chiefly in the Middle East and North Africa, are anxious to secure more supplies. They are not getting them. Ukrainian ports are shut. Some have been bombed. Inland routes, via the north of Ukraine and onwards through Poland, are too great a diversion to be practical. Vessels trying to pick up grain from Russia have been hit by missiles in the Black Sea. Most cannot get insurance.

Alternative sources are unaffordable. Last week Egypt cancelled its second wheat tender in a row after receiving only three offers—at a stomach-churning price—down from 20 a fortnight before. More concerning still, exports of corn, of which Ukraine accounts for nearly 13% of global exports, usually take place through the spring until the early summer. Much of it is normally shipped from the port of Odessa, which is bracing for a Russian assault.

Future crops are an even bigger worry. In Ukraine, the war may result in lower yields and area planted. Winter crops such as wheat and barley, which are sown in October, could be smaller because of a lack of fertiliser and pesticides. Spring crops such as corn and sunflowers, the planting of which would normally start imminently, may not get sown at all. Leonid Tsentilo, whose farm in central Ukraine grows 7,000 tonnes of wheat a year, says local prices for diesel and plant-protection products have risen by 50% in two weeks. Some of his workers have been shipped off to war.

In Russia, the risk is not curtailed production but blockaded exports. Although food sales are not yet subject to sanctions, Western banks are reluctant to lend to traders. Fear of being fined by governments in the West or shamed by its press is keeping merchants at bay. While Ukraine is “unreachable”, Russia is “untouchable”, says Michael Magdovitz of Rabobank.

Most alarming will be the conflict’s impact on agriculture worldwide. The region is a big supplier of critical fertiliser components, including natural gas and potash. Fertiliser prices had already doubled or tripled, depending on the type, even before the war, owing to rising energy and transport costs and sanctions imposed in 2021 on Belarus, which produces 18% of the world’s potash, as it cracked down on dissidents. As Russia, which accounts for 20% of global output, finds it harder to export its own potash, prices are sure to rise further. Since four-fifths of the world’s potash is traded internationally, the impact of price spikes will be felt in every agricultural region in the world, warns Humphrey Knight of cru, a consultancy.

As a result of all this, a much greater share of income will soon be spent on food (see chart). This will be felt most acutely in the Middle East, Africa and parts of Asia, where some 800m people depend heavily on Black Sea wheat. That includes Turkey, which supplies much of the southern Mediterranean with flour. Egypt usually buys 70% of its wheat from Russia and Ukraine. The latter alone accounts for half of Lebanon’s wheat imports. Many others can hardly do without Ukraine’s corn, soybeans and vegetable oil.

Meanwhile, higher fertiliser and energy costs will crimp farmers’ margins everywhere. Brazil, a huge producer of meat and agricultural products, imports 46% of its potash from either Russia or Belarus, says Cristiano Veloso of Verde AgriTech, a Brazilian startup. Eventually, some of the costs will be passed on to the consumer.

Protectionism may pour more fuel on the fire. National restrictions on fertiliser exports increased last year and could accelerate. Limits on food exports, or panic-buying by importers, could trigger a price spike of the kind that sparked riots in dozens of countries in 2007-08. On March 8th and 9th, respectively, Russia and Ukraine banned wheat exports. Argentina, Hungary, Indonesia and Turkey have announced food-export restrictions in recent days.

There is no easy fix. Some of the 160m tonnes of wheat used as animal feed every year could be diverted for human consumption, but substitution may export inflation to other staples. Increasing production in Europe and America and drawing on India’s vast strategic stockpile may yield 10-15m tonnes—a substantial quantity, but less than a third of Ukraine’s and Russia’s combined annual exports. Some could come from farther afield but there are bottlenecks: efforts to export more of Australia’s bumper winter-wheat crop have clogged the supply chains between its farms and ports. With corn, governments may resort to appropriating some of the 148m tonnes used as bioethanol feed to help plug this year’s likely shortfall of 35m tonnes. Fertiliser shortages are even harder to cover: new potash mines take 5-10 years to build.

The war in Ukraine is already a tragedy. As it ravages the world’s breadbasket, a calamity looms. 

Source: Economist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

anyone know of anywhere with stock of glosphate, cant seem to be got

considering growing a bit of barley to take our pressure off concentrates later in the year

was considering setting without but tillage lads think it would be a disaster....going in on ground which hasnt been reseeded in 15yr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

There was issues with supply chain problems with glyphosphate before the war started. Dairygold might have some. Last I heard it was 45 an acre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Local merchant here had a few drums when I was in their last week 265 a drum for 20 litres of a 360 generic , Anthony Maher clonaslee Laois...

• Advertisement

Have they fertilizer in stock their not going to sell our have they noting to actually sell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭alps

Wonder if the lads who took that video of the stocks of fertiliser in Bellview earlier in the year have found where they moved the stash to?

I'd love to see q present day video, for comparison to just gauge how bad the fertilizer situation is

supposed to be loads of fertilizer in Grasslands Limerick

I'd say it's accounted for, their getting huge issues organising transport, I had to get the brother to get a load from their meath depot, back 3 weeks ago they weren't able to organise transport, and was getting twitchy here it could go missing if left up their, this load was ordered in late January for early February delivery with them doing transport

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Say that the yard is the fullest it has ever been.

It's still only a drop in the ocean for what is missing out of the system in Ireland.

Ireland is a small market, in the small European market and every where is short globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

There is, all accounted for tho, I was in for a load of can last week and lad on forklift said it's scarce enough, the previous week id to go to grasslands yard in kilkenny as they couldn't fill the clients order, yards may be full but its a fraction of what's needed, some left it too late and are starting to panic while others were buying away what they needed a couple of ton at a time, there'll be a slow down for a few weeks while everyone wants it the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

Hope it's well guarded, this could be the new copper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭kk.man

Much harder to take in any great quantities and more visible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

''there'll be a slow down for a few weeks while everyone wants it the same time''

This has been indicated to lads since early January. A lot of lads were acting silly buggers with merchants expecting that there Mexican standoff tactics would result in a significant drop it nnprice in March.

No urgency was shown until late last week now there is limited supply and new product is getting more expensive.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I've it said a couple times on here that lads need to be buying what they need, I'm going into Gouldings, Grasslands, Nitrofert on a weekly basis and they all have the same story, supply is limited and lads need to buy, I was in clare with a load of feed yesterday and people are still trying to haggle and can't understand why they can't get fertiliser at October prices because "that's when it was made" they'll be struggling now while anyone with a bit of sense has it bought knowing there's no point crying over something outside their control, farming is changing and those that won't change will be left behind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭alps

Ordered what we need for the rest of the year last friday week, but honestly very nervous that it won't turn up. Supplier had plenty bought, but again logistics means they wont get around to delivering for a few weeks.

Following the withdrawal from the market last week, some kind of duscussion ongoing about how to distribute a little more fairly (loaves and fishes job) and a feeling some retailers had sold more than they had secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

That's what was happening. I was in my local branch last week and a lad rang in an order for 15 pallets of can and ten cut sward. Panic buying definitely. More rang in and it was put in the "book". No wonder business are try to calm things down. No bother to be handing out millions of credit at today's prices

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Similar here - I'm half nervous it won't arrive now for another week, even though it's paid for!

On another point: did it make sense for the state agency to advise farmers to buy only what's needed now? Maybe if farmers bought what was needed for the year and emptied the merchant's yard, then the merchant's yard might be full again now?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

One of these fine days, not soon, lads will figure out the best policy is to do what suits themselves, not what they're teat fed by Teagasc et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Have my fertiliser for year got and in yard …big bill but I have it …was buying on/off since Saturday …didn’t want to over commit early in year when gas price dropping and all signals were fertiliser would be cheaper by April /may but once trouble mooted in Ukraine just went for it …got last of what I needed about 10 days ago …..def bit of a panic last week or so when penny finally dropped with lads on the fence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I think that’s a fair assessment of it. Hindsight is 20:20. If fert was bought last October and it fell then farmers would be said to have panicked by then.

I’ve bought about 60% of normal years but but planning to reduce a little to accommodate. no easy win for anyone here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

My uncle said years ago, "You'd want to do the opposite of what them fellas tell you". I thought he was being a bit cynical, but now I'm not so sure. I suppose we need to remember their objective is to support Government policy and drive production. Sometimes this aligns with what's best for the farmer, but not always...

Related question: did Teagasc follow their own advice and buy just what they need now for their own demo/research farms?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement