Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Up to this morning no name has been mentioned anywhere except here. And that's the way it should be until the family have time to deal with situation.

Honestly this is the worst Galway hurling team I can remember(hard to judge with the lack of province but must be the worst since the 90s anyway).

How the mighty have fallen. Been sliding ever since we let slip that big lead against KK in the LF 2018.

We could have conceded 8-10 points here in the first 4 mins.

We don't look like we'll ever score a goal unless a long ball falls the right way. Outnumbered every time they drive a long ball in and it'll take a 40:60 ball win for us to score.

I can't see who's actually worse than us from the main contenders. Clare are down there and we have them to play so that will certainly set the barometer if we lose there as well.

Bookies were having a laugh putting us second favourites. We have 4-5 very good players but that's it, there's a huge drop after that.

Sad state when our best player is probably our full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Long round trip for such a septic performance. More intensity in a chess match. Maybe under the circumstances it was to be accepted. Cork had the freedom of the park for long periods.

Always worth taking a few positives. Killeen and Glennon I thought had decent games throughout and Tom Monaghan after taking a rattle in the second half sparked into life.

Good to see Darren Morrissey come on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Good win today but we seem far too open at the back, conceding too much. Need to tighten up for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Avon8

Excellent performances from Comer, Kelly and Conroy masking an all round sloppy display, shocking open at times at the back and attack was laubored at times in the first half. Offaly scores came far easier, generally from sloppy marking. Not sure if it was tactics or he was carrying a knock or something but Walsh wasn't even trying to get on the ball, never mind affect the game. He needs to accept that he'll have a man trying to block his run constantly from now on and we can't really go through games with our best player not touching the ball. Positives were some genuinely excellent scores from the 3 mentioned above, and flashes from Tierney & Finnerty

• Advertisement

Would have to agree. Two games running against Cork and Offaly now and they've been able to run at and open Galway up pretty easily. Even with all the progress very worrying as one of Mayo's strength is their hard running.

Gleeson was poor (horrendous mistake for second goal) along with Jack Glynn turned too easily (nice to see him back all the same) Heaney (on a lot if ball but wasted a lot of ball) McHugh (looked lost at midfield) PC was brilliant again but again I've said before him trying to make the hard yards defensively time and again takes away from his influence in an attacking sense.

Tierney took his scores well. Sweeney never got into it replaced early. Dessie never got going. Comer was brilliant in all aspects of his game today. Scoring, Target man, option for kickouts. Finnerty took scores well and his all round play much improved.

Shane was a weird one. Only management can explain. Could hear one selector say a few times 'Shane don't get involved". Don't get it. Although it did mean Offalys best player may as well of been sitting in the stands. Dempsey is a strong ball carrier so that element was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Didn't catch the second half. Did Eoin Finnerty do much when he came on?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

No don’t think he got a touch at all. This was a very odd game I thought, Galway were always going to win but some of the performances were shocking, Shane Walsh didn’t even kick a free today. Our set up was strange too, Dylan McHugh has been solid at wing back and had great games since the league started but was pushed out to midfield today. Gleeson surely won’t get any more chances in goal, his kick outs put his backs under pressure, his runs out the field are unnecessary and he doesn’t have the skills for it and today I thought it looked like his full back line don’t trust him, anytime a ball came in near him there was panic, the second goal was a mistake from him also. Sean Kelly going off injured was worrying, hopefully it’s not serious. Comer and Finnerty were our best today, along with Conroy.

Thanks. Did Kelly look bad??

Limped off. Didn't strike me as worrying but you can never be sure. Looked more a flesh injury than something internal

• Advertisement

The two Kelly's have came on some amount and are probably Galway's best two players now.

Sean was an ok player since he first came on the scene but has gone up a fair few levels since maybe 2021.

Both are probably underrated nationally but their profiles will grow if Galway start to play on the bigger days.

Sean is a star no doubt but Paul still has a fair bit of work to do to be rated higher than Shane Walsh, Paul Conroy or even Comer I’d have thought.

Agreed at the moment anyway. The encouraging thing with him though is his age, 21 I believe. He's definitely well ahead of where Sean was at that age, and Sean's gone on to become some player. They seem so similar, you'd have to hope Paul would follow a similar trajectory. Their handling and movement are top notch

Better balance. John Heaney plays the box to box very well from 12. Gallagher adds a bit more steel and hard running. Hopefully see a return to the solid defensive base of the first two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

A starting 15 that will be very close to what will start against Mayo next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Scrappy stuff 1-2 each, not great at all "in the home of Galway football", hoping for a better 2nd half (that wouldn't be hard)

Must have went about twenty mins without scoring.

No disrespect to Clare but they can't even challenge for Munster, need to be putting them away if you have any aspirations to compete.

Clare are always a difficult team to beat, no pushover for anyone.

A win is a win.

Anyone at the game know if Shane's injury looked bad?

True, they've established themselves as a solid 10-16 ranked team, but they wouldn't lay a glove on any of the top 6-8 teams so you need to be beating them if you want to win AIs.

Anyway they got it done in the end.

Two games left and one win needed, would be disappointing if they didn't finish it off now. Not sure did the draw today change things too much as no matter who won, you'd still likely need one win.

• Advertisement

Muscle injury. Still seemed disappointed to be taken (as in he wanted to stay on) off so hopefully not too bad.

They ran mayo very close in the qualifiers a couple of years ago, should have beaten them. Mayo beat them 2-22 to 2-18 in the div 2 fixture last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I was. I've seen him do this before when he's having a poor match tbh so not really sure if he's really injured. He was back to his frustrating worst with a straight forward point hit straight into the Clare keeper's arm.

A worrying performance overall. Conditions weren't as bad as I've seen reported. Lots of lazy handpassing and useless ball into the forwards. A better team than Clare would've beat us out the gate.

I will say though that the refereeing was woeful. Clare got a massive amount of soft frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i cant argue with the clare analysis , as gilberto has said we have never came close to challenging for munster nor beat a top 4 team in years , i taught we defended well enough but our decision making on the ball was awful and so was our shooting in front of goal, but in truth we have stalled and just pitched our tent in division 2 as a team , i would even go so far as to say there was a very amicable atmosphere around the place with the galway crowd , something i could never imagine in hurling even in a dead rubber game next week

i enjoyed watching galway , especially the corofin lads , malloy was excellent as was silke going forward , Conroy's point from the out side of his boot surrounded by two or 3 clare lads was a super score , both goals were taken well and johnny Heaney and mathew Tierney deserve huge credit for there use of the ball in setting up several scores

Derry are a very very fit team and Rory dosnt like to see his boys slack off ,it will be a tough ask up north but ye are in the driving seat at the moment

No RTÉ coverage of Galway again tonight but yet O’Rourke still offers his uneducated opinion that Galway have a lot of work to do to secure promotion even though they’re sitting at the top of the table and he hasn’t seen them play probably since the first round, if you’re not going to show the game then forget about the token analysis!

My exact thoughts, they have Galway written off this year v Mayo and couldn't be bothered covering them. It might be the sort of attitude that will come back to bite them. Time RTE put O Rourke out to grass.

there was definitely a tv camera in the terrace in tuam today , no county board in their right mind would have funded the yoke on the halfway line , tg4 tomorrow i suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Silke butchered a very scorable chance near the death and constantly struggles to replicate club form at county level. It's up to himself, push on now or cede his place to Jonny McGrath.

Unfortunately, Clare just as poor as all the the other Div. II teams, bar the top 3, really offered nothing going forward only hold possession and hope to get a lucky break. Molloy one of the home team's better players and I'd say there was a conscious effort to 'defend better' than in previous games from Galway. Game was over once Comer's goal went in. As the game evolved there was an element from the sideline of holding back until the big one next Sunday; Walsh, Gallagher, Comer all replaced. Sean Kelly held in reserve.

Cork ref. Conor Lane should never ref a game above Junior club level. Utterly clueless about how to let a game develop and flow, no idea about players fielding kick outs or tackling. Just made a poor game worse today.

lane reffed our game against derry also , he must like clare because he gave us several breaks that day too, clare strategy going forward is just one big figure 8 hand passing drill its getting predictable now , but it works against the poorer teams in the division and keeps us up every year....🙄

the game was over for that silke wide taught he tackled well , the half forward line for galway used the ball well , they should have showed the highlights tonight for that paul conroy point alone lovely strike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I was surprised Clare didn't play more direct ball into Tubridy (I think) when he was up against two unnatural fullbacks. Any ball in with the aid of that breeze was causing panic in our fullbackline and then Clare seemed to change to overcomplicating things once ye had the goal.

I was very impressed with the Clare kickout strategy. That one mistake didn't seem to phase the goalie too much which is the exact opposite of what would happen to a Galway goalie. Even against a strong gale he was finding O'Dea on the run.

Advertisement