Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@[Deleted User] Russia have no shortage of high-altitude bombers and conventional (dumb) munitions. They could level Ukraine if they wanted, totally safe from manpads. We have not seen this. We have seen them use a significant proportion of their known stockpile of expensive precision munitions. We have seen their pilots fly low at great risk (from manpads) to more accurately deliver munitions. Many have been shot down in the process. This is a simple military observation: .

Russia doesn't have a large long range bomber force ,they have limited numbers of bombers , more fighter jets than anything ,

We've seen Russian pilots fly low not to deliver dumb bombs accurately it's because they don't have the equipment to do high level precision bombing runs some of them are actually using pen and paper to find their targets , along with handheld gps.

Simple military observation no sorry just a claim that won't be backed up

"I wont touch the equivocation between Iraq and the Ukraine - trying to compare the two conflicts is pure confusion and false equivalency"

It is not an attempt to confuse, nor create an equivalency.

Most commentators clearly do not have an understanding of warfare. I am not an expert myself and don't paint myself as one. But I know enough about Russia's capabilities to know what indiscriminate targeting of civilians would look like if a force of that size and capability adopted such tactics.

I am not seeing that. In the first 11 days of the Iraq invasion - mostly precision airstrikes - there were 4,000 civilian casualities. In the first 16-17 days of the Ukraine invasion, United Nations reports 600 civilian casualties.

Western media is trying to paint a picture of Russians bombing hospitals, shelling nuclear power plants, driving tanks over cars like madmen. Rampaging and shooting wildly in ever direction like madmen because "Putin has brain cancer and wants to destroy the world." I have literally seen such claims on this site. The numbers simply do not support this. Even if the numbers were revised to be 10x larger we would still be in the realm of Western-style collateral damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,475 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Your figures are way off.

Civilian deaths in Mariupol alone are at 2500.

Millions of refugees had fled.

You are arguing against a strawman, that because Russia isn't throwing everything it has got in terms of munitions,theer are no such istances.

But there is a clear pattern of indiscriminate attacks on civilians.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mariupol-ukraine-worst-case-scenario-civilian-deaths-pass-2000-z866g9xjx

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This idea red cross will review accom in 6 months is a non runner. There isn't going to be more accomodation in 6 months. How can you turf a refugee out? People will be guilted into keeping them unfortunately.

According to the United Nations there are 596 civilian casualties as of 13 March. Perhaps they are Putin-bots or have not been watching the right tik-tok channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Well while i have questioned Putin's state as a rational actor - its ambiguous at the moment. His government is using 'Loud Speaker Diplomacy' on a grand scale these days. And its counter productive, as they have united the west against them. When Switzerland decides to sanction a state, said state should take notice.

RE the Western media painting Russia using indiscriminate tactics - i dont think they need to. I think it is fairly obvious that civilian infrastructure is being targeted. If Russia have not used Aerial bombings, or purely indiscriminate weapons. OK we can accept this. Seemingly what they have done, is use 'precision capable weapons' with the 'precision settings switched to ZERO'. This may have a lot to do with optics, and the perception they wish to convey both domestically and internationally. And it is subject to change, if the war continues and Ukraine maintains defiance to Moscow.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

From that link you provided there is a very large qualifier with that figure:

OHCHR believes that the actual figures are considerably higher, especially in Government-controlled territory and especially in recent days, as the receipt of information from some locations where intense hostilities have been going on has been delayed and many reports are still pending corroboration. This concerns, for example, Izium (Kharkiv region), and Mariupol and Volnovakha (Donetsk region) where there are allegations of hundreds of civilian casualties. These figures are being further corroborated and are not included in the above statistics.

Basically they don't have accurate numbers for the worst affected areas

• Registered Users Posts: 18,534 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes indeed, there has been several videos emerging recently of mass graves in Mariupol and clearly the people being buried were civilians, not Ukrainian soldiers.

Exactly - no figures will be known for quite some time. we will not be able to speculate on the true extent of civilian casualties but the figures will eventually be known.

And we can (of course) expect that Russia will label many such casualties as 'Combatants, nationalists, NAZI's and Brainwashed Fascists' - while also accusing 'Ukraino-Fascists' of killing them

And if they are revised 10x higher they are still in the range of the civilian casualties in the early phase of the Iraq invasion. The purpose is not to condone the invasion or make light of civilian casualties. I want to understand if the claims of indiscriminate targeting of civilians are true. The tik tok videos suggest it is true, the numbers suggest it is false.

• Advertisement

But after 6 months they will be entitled to full tenants rights, which will make it more difficult to deal with when things to tats up

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

What on earth sort of aberrant, drivelling nonsense is this????

Perhaps I am totally misreading your intention in the posts you made? If I am, then I apologise.

However, the posts read as a sort of quasi-justification for the Russian invasion, as if killing civilians as part of a criminal war is "acceptable" just so long as the numbers are kept to some (undefined) low level.

The posts read, In My Opinion, as nothing other than moral equivocation.

Shameful and disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Living with an owner occupier doesn't give you any rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

wtf is this nonsense? I can't tell if this supposed to be smart, funny, angry, clever or what 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Yes - there were several pregnant ladies injured in the attack. At least one is seemingly ok. Sky news carried a picture of the lady and her new born baby, and they were alive. Sadly this lady didnt make it, nor did her baby.

There has been much said by Russia in relation to this attack. I wont over use links and such, as most have been posted elsewhere. Rough summary of the Russian LIES would be

• Use of crisis actors - ladies wearing heavy make up
    • The hospital was Empty
    • The hospital was 'being used by Neo Nazi Paramilitary units' (lavrov)
    • 'We did not actually attack the hospital it was the Ukrainian nationalists' (Russian military)

Utterly despicable - a disgrace

I saw someone mention that 'If Russia tells you its raining, you should definitely check' - i would go as far as to say, if they tell you its raining, ASSUME A SUNNY CLOUDLESS DAY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

No different lady.

And to think it was Played down by some as a propaganda even suggesting the maternity hospital was a legitimate military target

• Advertisement

To be honest i took the russian claim about Crisis actors and make up - to be 'indiscriminate' - that is, a ridiculous claim that footage of 'pregnant ladies (plural)' were faked. Similar to claims from a week ago that missile strikes on civilian and civic infrastructure were 'Fake footage' - Again all i am aware of specifically is that one lady died, as did her baby - and another survived, as did her respective baby.

Not disagreement i think just crossed 'semantic' wires

Any good conspiracy theory usually has some nugget of truth in it. That allows the people trying to push the theory to point to that in order to try and "prove" that the whole thing is true.

In the case of the pregnant lady who survived the bombing: she really was an Instagram beauty influencer. This was the nugget of truth

The Russian propagandists then stated that she was clearing acting and showed split screen photos of her after the bombing alongside pictures of her from Instagram using her real name. The message being : Here's a woman who is an expert in makeup and here she is all made up to play this part.

This is basic enough disinformation - in that it's quite easy to prove that it's patently false. However in an environment where nobody's going to ask any questions (e.g. Russian TV) that doesn't matter.

Yes i have wondered whether some of the more ridiculous claims (actresses, make up, fake footage, 'Nazis using human shields') are aimed primarily at us. Or are more directed toward the Domestic Audience. Obviously the narrative facing inward needs to remain constant and unambiguous

• Russia fighting honorably during special military operation
    • Not targeting civilians who are Ukrainian innocents (and actually Russian in any case)
    • Ukraine NeoNazis using human shields
    • Neo Nazis 'staging attacks' on their own civilians
    • Citizens of Ukraine brainwashed
    • As a westerner, its beyond shambolic propaganda - easily falsified. As a Russian, it may be far more difficult to distinguish fact from fiction.
    • May indicate that some footage/extremes of the war, is filtering through to Russian population, Triggering pathetic denials and a counter narrative domestically

It's an amazing coincidence that the Russians attacked a building they thought contained Ukranian Nazis at the same time as the Ukranian Nazis were blowing it up in a false flag operation... This is the universe you will be if you simultaneously believe all the Russian lies at the same time.

Another point of view is that it's not about being logically consistent at all. The burden of proof to tell a coherent story isn't there. Instead the whole purpose of this propaganda is to muddy the waters to such an extent that the consumer no longer trusts anything at all.

They will make this sound like a virtue: "Trust nobody, question everything" but really it's utterly utterly cynical.

If nothing is true then everything can be true. In that universe there is no accountability. No whistle blowing. No investigative journalism. No speaking truth to power. They can trample the weak, safe in the knowledge that they will never be called out for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Nordner

I read in the papers over the weekend that on Saturday March 12, 2022, Saudi Arabia conducted its largest mass execution in its modern history, of 81 convicts. They were reportedly members of Al-Qaeda, the Islamic State, and various Houthi groups, and were of Syrian, Saudi, and Yemeni nationality.

There was no detail on the method of execution used, however, they mainly favour beheading. Although, admittedly, they do also conduct stongings, hangings and crucifixion as well just to mix things up a little and depending on the crimes committed by the condemned. 

On top of this, well over 100,000 people are estimated to have died in Yemen since 2014. Mostly due to the U.S and U.K backed Saudi coallition bombing campaign against the Shia minority in Southern Yemen. Millions more are facing famine. 

Furthermore, it is now widely accepted that Saudi Government agents murdered the U.S based Saudi journalist Kamal Kashogghi at their Embassey in Istanbul in October 2018, where he had gone to receive a marriage licence. 

It is assumed that we will all be upping our intake of Saudi Oil over the coming months to make up for the shortfalls resulting from the Sanctions on Putin's Russia due to their criminal invasion of Ukraine. 

How come we aren't demanding that MBS and Saudi Arabia face similar sanctions over their equally abhorrent crimes against humanity that they are currently perpetrating? 

Are we simply picking and choosing which victims are more worthy of our support based on economic imperatives? 

Surely there needs to be some consistency here lads, no?

Somebody started a separate thread in this forum for this abhorrent story - (although most of the posts so far are more focused on comparing it to Ukraine then discussing Saudi Arabia)

Yes, the Saudis should be shunned. All the more reason to pivot away from oil & gas and toward renewables.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We've seen quite a bit of this kind of stuff going on globally recently. Maybe it's been going on a while but only been more obvious. But basically pushing a load of different narratives about a single incident to "drown out" the truth and make people skeptical about whether they will ever know what really happened.

• No building was attacked
    • Ukraine attacked its own hospital
    • It wasn't a hospital and we attacked it because it was harbouring terrorists
    • It was empty
    • Nobody was injured
    • The people who survived are crisis actors

Like you say, when someone is down the rabbit hole of giving any credence to what the Russians are saying, then they find themselves completely disbelieving everything that everyone is saying because they don't just have two conflicting narratives, they have ten.

Unfortunately its a different Geopolitical reality RE Saudi Arabia.

• Yes absolutely abhorrent behavior
    • Going on for many years
    • Effectively a theocracy on Sunni (Arguably Wahhabi) Islam
    • Severe treatment of Women, LGBTQ (punishable by death penalty if memory serves)
    • NonBelievers and Atheists also risk death and are therefore in hiding
    • However - Saudi Arabia does have one important friend (Forget the name, but i recall its just north of Mexico, and south of Canada)
    • Very difficult to see a resolution RE the domestic situation in Saudi Arabia. Domestically abhorrent but in the International system, officially plays its cards correct. US troops present 'by invitation' - also aligned with US and other states in the region AGAINST IRAN -

• Advertisement

@Brussels Sprout @seamus

Yeah they don't seem to care enough about presenting an alternative truth to get their lies straight, to even tell the same lie. It's just deliberate muddying of the waters.

Advertisement