Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's rubbish from McGrath. Kicked right down the throat of Lowry for an easy mark.

The game is there for Leinster. Ulster have dropped their intensity and they aren't kicking as well as earlier.

But Leinster need to be more accurate in their own kicking game too.

And just as I say that we give away a silly penalty.

Jamie Osbornes left boot is such a benefit to Leinster. We're able to relieve pressure so effectively.

We should really be scoring from these prolonged periods of time in Ulsters 22. They're defending very well, but our handling has let us down also.

• Advertisement

Our half backs have been poor tonight. Neither McGrath or Ross Byrne have kicked well at the pivotal moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leavy? That looks horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Dooley actually. But looks ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Murphy realises if the ball goes backwards, it's not a knock on right?

This has been one messy second half.

I know the weather is ****, but kicking the ball away on your own ten metre line with three minutes left is something I will never understand. "Hoping for a mistake" isn't really forward thinking rugby.

• Advertisement

Ha! That's as not through the ruck as you can get.

I'm relatively content with that result even if we did lose. I thought we played better than Ulster overall, but lacked a cutting edge. On paper that Ulster team was far better. The fact they didn't blow us away as some predicted is a sign of progress. This was one of the better performances from the second string players this season.

Joe McCarthy looks better by the game. Showed a huge amount of grit in terrible conditions. Made lots of hard metres.

Not a bad game after all to round out the day, didn't think it would be that tight.

One area where I was disappointed though, was in the half backs. McGrath and Byrne kicked poorly. We could have put Ulster under much more pressure in those awful conditions, but the kicks were so poor that we never stressed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Our injury list is really adding up. Losing Porter and now Ryan is devastating. Add in Connors and it's getting to be where I check the updated injury list on Tuesdays.

It's good to see so many young lads play up in the Kingspan! Maloney. Clarkson and McCarthy. Great experience for them.

Maloney is a good player. I hope one of the provinces pick him up!

Felt immensely sorry for Ryan watching him go off yesterday. Looked equal parts dejected and dazed.

What a ridiculous challenge though, you could have the jaw of a prize fighter and that would have been lights out. Really was the last thing he needed but hopefully he recovers without issue.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I thought the kicks were pretty decent tbh, you found grass quite a few times and I'd say won the majority of the kick tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Joe McCarthy playing his way into the 23 for Europe last few weeks.

If Ryan's out, I'd be starting him and Molony, with Baird on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I dont know i thought Baird was decent when played 80 minutes v Italy and will most likely start on the bench v Scotland?

I think I'd start Molony and Baird with maybe Mccarthy or josh murphy on the bench.

Thats only If Ryan is out. He has a full month to recover before Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think it's quite possible McCarthy would complement Baird better than Ryan does, thus potentially improving Baird's chances of starting ahead of Molony.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Baird now out with a back injury, anybody hear how bad it is? Injury list growing for the Connacht game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This is great for McCarthy but I'd imagine he's been called up in the same way Jamie Osborne was called up, i.e. literally there to make up numbers in training.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Most likely - You'd assume that for example if Kleyn wasn't in South Africa with Munster that he'd be a more likely call up.

As you say , great for McCarthy but he's not making the match day 23.

Moloney probably will though and I hope he gets a run as he deserves the honour and has been particularly good this season.

Most likely - You'd assume that for example if Kleyn wasn't in South Africa with Munster that he'd be a more likely call up.

I don't see why. He's an incredibly limited rugby player. His skills are really poor. You couldn't find a lock less suited to the way Ireland play. Wycherley would have been called up before him and Niall Murray too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Don't think Molony is making the 23 vs Scotland, I'm assuming Henderson and Beirne start with Treadwell on the bench, unless I've missed an injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Molony will be 24th man I’d say, McCarthy making up numbers as an introduction to the set up.

• Advertisement

Clipped this last night as it arose out of a conversation about Nadolo and his twitter antics, since I was putting it on the sub, figured I'd throw it here too. Throwback to 2018's group game against Montpellier.

https://streamable.com/3wdg6j

Advertisement