Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The episodes were all filmed before the announced givernments retrofit scheme yet all qualified for a €25k grant ,so was the retrofit announcement false in that the grant was in place already?

What misinformation did I post? Everything I posted is verifiable should you wish to search yourself or point out what you reckon is misinformation and I'll happily clarify for you

Bringing a bit of humor to the conversation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Already been detailed and debunked

Btw you still haven't answered the question asked.

Whats been detailed and debunked? You haven't made that clear. You are accusing me of posting misinformation yet won't outline what that is. Gas.

I guess its safe to conclude that there is no misinformation as you are unable to outline what the issue is.

• Advertisement

"We'd love to do something about the climate change issue, just now is not the right time"

OK I'll take it you are being deliberately perverse. As stated all the misinformation you posted was debunked here

Again bizarrely you refuse to answer the question at the heart of this discussion. .

"If natural gas is indeed recognised as an essential transition fuel - why would the greens here try to prevent the country using those resources"?

Bizarrely you attempted to claim that question somehow was "misrepresenting the facts"? You making a generalised throwaway claim with no back up whatsoever does not help your argument

The facts are that the greens here are preventing the future use of our own natural gas resources and being able to avail of a stable source of LNG gas imports to Europe. Unless you can give a logical explanation for that bizarre stance, the green policy on renewable energy generation in this country is simply a busted flush and no amount of posturing will fix that.

eh, lol, sorry, but your opinion is not a debunking. If you wish to debunk something you need to post evidence showing that. A wall of text from you means nothing more than a wall of text from me.

WRT to your question, there are a number of new gas plants being added to the grid, so your premise doesn't stack up.

As for LNG terminals, we simply have no need for them as our gas is already piped in. It would literally be a waste of money as we'll have reduced our gas consumption to minimal levels by the time any LNG terminal would be built. Current pipelines supply all gas needed therefore a LNG terminal would be a redundant piece of infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

100% true

now we have the newest great white hope….gas 🤦‍♂️

When a country with the biggest supply of gas is moving to 100% renewal

Lol. I'll give it to you - you are a master of beating around the bush and being deliberately perverse.

Not my opinion. I've provided relevant sources to those points already. Something you might wish to employ btw.

As to my question. You still haven't answered it

"If natural gas is indeed recognised as an essential transition fuel - why would the greens here try to prevent the country using those resources"?

Here are the greens rubber stamping and gloating about putting an end to future use and exploration of all of our natural gas resources

https://web.archive.org/web/20210202155316/https://www.greenparty.ie/green-party-welcomes-immediate-ban-on-new-oil-and-natural-gas-exploration/

Here are greens trying to stop LNG imports using their mandate for government to railroad these changes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/law-proposed-that-would-see-liquefied-natural-gas-terminals-banned-1.4806106

And laughably here you are trying to claim that natural gas is essential to a proper transition to a renewable energy policy.

With whats going on in Europe, Ireland faces being the last country looking down a very expensive and much reduced pipeline for the new gas generation stations which are planned to be built here.

The greens policy of stopping Ireland using its own resources and or importing a reliable source of LNG is simply the greens stamping their proverbial size 12 boots in the peoples of Irelands faces, because thats what it amounts to.

Edit: The irrelevant link you included for the new gas fired power plants here. I know this is going to be a bit of a shock for you. But these use gas - they don't produce it.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Advertisement

I answered your question as I interpreted it i.e. energy generation using gas. If you wanted a specific answer regarding exploration, you should have asked that question.

To answer it, don't know, I've little interest or knowledge of offshore gas/oil resources so I can't offer a take on it but I will say I agree with their stance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Everyone should just boycott this tread and leave the swivel eyed warriors cling on to there lost cause and be done with it, your wasting your own time arguing against fake news, false claims and ignorance. 🥱🥾

Nah, I don't mind. Its usually just FUD and other silliness and little in the way of actual facts coming from the dino juice obsessed folks. Makes it easy to refute. Sometimes it's a challenge, but usually not

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have no doubt you do not get the irony, but I found it amusing that a supporter of a policy aimed at turning both our economy and countryside into wastelands, while expecting ordinary Joe and Josephine soaps to shell out eye watering amounts on retro fitting and heat pumps etc. is now lecturing on the economic viability of turf as an energy source.

The economic viability of any product is directly related to the price of similar competing products. Even if Irish greens cannot understand that the Finns do.

But then the world of Irish greens must be becoming evermore bewildering for even them. According to some the country that was held up as a shining example as to how this green agenda should be followed, Germany, is now nothing more than a place ran by Healy Rae`s due to them biting the bullet and expanding their terminals for the importation of LNG.

Has it not got through to you yet that the agenda has left us with a major energy problem that bad and all is it is would have been even worse if this had happened next year with Tatbert shut, or two years later with Moneypoint also gone. This agenda has left us with an overdependence on gas as a stopgap to fill the hole of wind generation. We saw where this was going to leave us last Winter if just one gas burning plant was off-line,.And that was after eight warnings in the prior few months that even then we had skirted very close to the line of supply filling demand.

Yet here we are, a looming shortage of natural gas worldwide, a Green Party and their supporters in denial, refusing to countenance LNG, turf, nuclear or any other source. Even to the extent of not wishing to know if we have natural gas deposits in our own territorial waters.

It`s the closest I have yet to see of the true meaning behind the quote " the lunatics have taken over the asylum"

If they agreed with setting up LNG tomorrow, it would still be close to 2030 by the time it would be ready, by which time 80% of our energy production would be coming from renewables making any LNG facility pointless

A look at how one of the biggest fossil fuel producers in the EU is transitioning away from it. Not only that they have stopped all licensing for further exploration and set a deadline of 2050 for the permanent shutdown of all remaining producing facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

lng is natural gas liquified, you understand that don't you?

therefore, liquified natural gas is subject to the same natural gas shortage and price rises, and by the time you liquify and degassify it there is an even greater cost that has to be factered in, + we already receive our expensive gas via pipe anyway.

by the time we would get lng up and running it would be redundant.

as for nuclear, the costs don't add up, even the highest price possible gas would be a fraction of the cost and be delivered, even in liquified form and all of the infrastructure required, in a fraction of the time.

there isn't much turf left for us to extract, at an industrial, economically viable level so that won't help, and we can safely say there aren't much indiginous gas resources here given if there was any small bit of evidence that there were there would have been large scale explorations years ago.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Yet more nonsense. Nuclear power plants have been built in less time than that.

Who have you in mind to build a LNG facility where it would take that long, one man and his dog ?

The New Fortress Energy terminal would cost 500m, and in April 2021 their CEO was confident it could be constructed and on line by the second half of 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Mr. Gibbons is a contributor to a smear site and for hire in Irish media whenever they need someone to spout on about the apocalypse.

As a counter to his twit: Wrong Again: 50 Years of Failed Eco-pocalyptic Predictions

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Oil falling back, never actually past €2 up here anyway,expect it to level off at €1.70ish until the rebate ends, Pascal won't want it falling until then

• Advertisement

Yet more nonsense. Nuclear power plants have been built in less time than that.

Not in any Western nation, they haven't.

In autocratic states, sure, its a doddle, but here we place a little more value on rights and environmental protections.

The New Fortress Energy terminal would cost 500m, and in April 2021 their CEO was confident it could be constructed and on line by the second half of 2022.

This is the LNG plant that has already had one planning application shot down in the courts? That one?

This is the LNG plant that was first granted planning permission in 2006 but failed to get off the ground so the original owner ended up selling it after pouring 67 million into it only to not see a penny in profit? that one?

The one that is with ABP since last year for approval which they have deferred to Sept this year and are likely to defer again if past experience is anything to go by? That one?

The one that has zero support from govt? that one?

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar told the Dáil in January the Government was not supporting that project “because we believe the future is in renewable energy and hydrogen, but we are not going to block it either”.

This is the one, that may get approval from ABP, but then be open to years of challenges and appeals, for example where FIE took the govt to the EU CJEU and won over their incorrect granting of permission for this exact LNG plant.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is under any illusions as to how quickly something like this could be up and running

I'm sorry but how difficult was it to understand a question pertaining to Irelands natural gas resources and future exploration for same?

But no matter. You also seem to be under the mistaken belief that all Irelands current supplies of gas are already "piped in" . News for you - that's incorrect.

Currently Ireland has three sources of gas supply: The Corrib gas field supplies around 60% of Ireland’s annual demand with further 35% imported from the UK and the remaining 5% coming from the Kinsale gas field.

Both the Corrib and Kinsale gas fields are known to have a limited lifespan. And when these natural gas resources run out in the near future - there will be no more Irish natural gas as the greens in their stupidity have decided that natural gas exploration for new gas fields in Ireland is finished, despite the fact that natural gas is designated as green energy source by the EU.

So our own natural gas resources will in effect remain locked away, whilst our greens tell us we should instead import natural gas from other countries - leaving Ireland at the mercy of an increasingly scarce and expensive natural resource in Europe.

The fact is that we need our own natural gas resources in order to stabilise the peaks and troughs of renewable energy generation. We cannot be completely dependent on other countries or the vagaries of war and market forces.

The greens in this country need a good kick up the arse if they they fail to understand those simple facts. Eitherway I reckon their time in government is limited.

You really are clueless as to what is going on as regards Europe and natural gas at present.

Do you even know there is a war going on in Ukraine and what consequences that is having for natural gas into Europe via pipelines ?

Natural gas is liquified because otherwise due to its low density it is difficult to transport by sea. Liquified it is as easy to transport by sea as petrol or diesel. If the Green Party and their supporters were to cut out the bulls**t we could have a LNG terminal up and running in 18 months and not have to depend on a pipeline coming via a none E.U. country and be able to source our own supply.

We do not know what indigenous gas resources we may have, or how economically viable pockets would be nowadays when the search was for large fields before this because the greens are determined to ensure there is no exploration to find out, while like nuclear, having no problem using both from other countries. It`s the height of hypocrisy.

What difference does it make what amount of turf we have left to extract. Would you stop your car and get out to walk during a storm on the basis that your fuel tank was showing quarter full.?

What has all that to do with the fact you have now twice in the same day been caught our spoofing on the support for the greens agenda in Norway and how long it would take to construct a LNG terminal ?

Do me a favour, go off and look at the timelines around the Corrib gas field, and then apply those timelines to any gas field you want to start pulling from around Ireland. Simply put, you won't get the gas into the network faster than the switch to renewables.

we could have a LNG terminal up and running in 18 months 

Nope, we couldn't, see my previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you would not have a lng terminal up and running within 18 months, it would be years based on other similar projects in the western world because of the requirements and the build time.

to liquify and regassify lng brings an extra cost meaning it is less viable then just piping it, even with the current war and high prices.

we have a fair idea of what indiginous resources we have, realistically small pockets aren't going to be economically viable to extract unless the state decides to do it itself which is not going to happen, greens or no greens.

we can just about use nuclear from other countries because while it is expensive, the cost of importing another country's excess even with it's expensivity is nothing near the cost of building, operating and producing indiginous nuclear power which would bankrupt the state.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

When bringing that climate nazi into topic I think you've lost the argument.

For someone who thought we got our natural gas "piped in" - you suddenly seem to have morphed into an expert on the subject of natural gas.

We currently use natural gas to generate a significant amount of our electricity requirements and to help stabilise the peaks and troughs of Renewable energy generation. It's not a case of one or the other. We need a constant, secure and price stable supply of natural gas alongside our renewable energy sources

Atm we have a decent proportion of Natural gas from Irish resources and we need to continue that. Otherwise we risk being subject to massive inflation of energy costs caused by escalating prices and demand in Europe and the possibility of shortages or no gas supplies from at all. If needs be a combination of indigenous offshore gas and LNG imports will offer a competitive supply scenario and address Ireland’s security of supply concerns.

We need a continuation of Irish natural gas resources. Not to have them locked away by a small number of eegits who think growing lettuces in window boxes will make a difference.

Do you even read your own posts?

Your high increasingly doubtful figure for renewables by 2030 is 80%. Even on that highly questionable figure what is going to make up the extra 20% and what is going to fill in for the drop in supply due to unreliable wind. The Green`s one and only answer has been gas, so isn`t it past time for them to stop acting the clown and get the finger out as to what gas resources we may have by issuing exploration licences and put a stop to the messing should there be a source off-shore regarding pipelines.

You could also stop acting the eejit and wasting peoples time yourself on such claims as Norway`s great love for the green agenda and the utter nonsense that it would take 8 years to build a LNG terminal.

• Advertisement

Thankfully the decision makers disagree and are instead plowing ahead with massive expansion of renewable energy generation

Advertisement