Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

I wonder if putting everything in the open by the Yanks might have run its course now. I can't imagine the Chinese are delighted about it being made public in the way it has, could imagine them saying "Well **** yis then".

Can see this play out.

'OKAY, we won't supply arms to Russia. But, you cannot support Taiwan*.'

China sitting on the sidelines, Putin (the clown) doing their dirty work. The request for arms was way too in the open. It's like China has wound up everybody and watching it play out perfectly.

*China will use a different name.

Buy Chinese, get your children to learn Mandarin.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Yep. Not sure what he's doing in Turkey. Maybe just a wee holiday. It's been a bit stressful for him recently 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Cut the Chinese off. If they are arming Russia, it's time for us to really start putting our money where our mouth is, because if we don't, what is the point to any of this?

People are just going to have to get used to not being enslaved to the cheap plastic materialistic based culture that the likes of the Chinese and their corporatist benefactors have literally brainwashed nearly all of us in the West into. Too bad if that means some of ye can't get Nike runners or Burberry scarves for a few years, hardly the end of the world. Because, the other option is that it actually will be the end of our world, as long as everybody here is beholden to the likes of the Chinese, and their prison labour and concentration camps to go with it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I agree, but the blunt reality is thw west needs cheap labour, because without it, we will pay alot more for goods. Moving away from Chinese goods would take a generation, India is the only country that can match China for size but they're no where near geared up for that business. Other south east Asian countries that can manufacture are ultimately tiny by comparison.

I've seen it first hand in the industry I work in, Quality British made products coming up against garbage made in China, now, the British brand is made in China landed for less than half the price and not a patch on what it used to be. People like to blame "greedy companies" but the reality is its consumer driven

I absolutely agree, the west needs to diversify, be it major investment in countries like India, Brazil and Indonesia but its not a quick move. Its requires active policy change to which I would 100% endorse

• Advertisement

Hard to know what's going on behind the scenes, but I imagine the Chinese are embarrassed by Russia's farce of an invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

We can survive a few years with our existing mobiles and low value plastic tat until Western countries reorientate their supply chain away from China.

We in the west just need food and fuel to survive which we don't rely on China for.

Yes it will be tough for companies to re-adjust but China need to get the message loud and clear, support Russia in the war and sanctions and isolation are on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Based on how the US and NATO have behaved up until this point I can't imagine anything other than a large-scale and obviously Kremlin-ordered Russian attack on sovereign NATO soil could drag NATO any further into the conflict.

And even at that I suspect any response would be very precise and "proportional": i.e. they might target some sort of equipment belonging to the unit which was supposedly behind any attack; or in failing that they might target some infrastructure in Crimea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think it's beginning to dawn on them that they are up the creek, hence the desperation of threatening corporations.

On February 25th, there was a tender for crude announced on the St. Petersburg Merchantile Exchange (SPIMEX) with bids to be submitted by March 4th.

There were no bids placed, which means on the entire planet they couldn't find a single trader willing to do business with them.

ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited), a large Indian oil exploitation company also failed to get any bids for 700,000 barrels of Russian crude last week.

Those two outcomes are a serious kick in the balls for the Russian oil industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

If it does become Russia/China vs The West we must cut off the vast vast plastic/electronic imports.

Things become more difficult and much more expensive for us obviously, but if they create this them against us scenario, then we cannot do business with them.

Let them rot in their impending squalor without Western money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

We can definitely do without certain material luxuries like a new phone every year and all that kind of thing which is pretty hedonistic when you think about it, but is that all China makes? For example, back when Coronavirus first broke out, I remember stories about China ramping up production on face masks. That makes me ask what other medical sundries they make - things that are simple in design but are necessary - things like hypodermic needles for example.

From Encyclopaedia Britannica

The great bulk of China’s exports consists of manufactured goods, of which electrical and electronic machinery and equipment and clothing, textiles, and footwear are by far the most important. Agricultural products, chemicals, and fuels are also significant exports. The United States, Hong Kong, Japan, EU countries, and South Korea are the principal export destinations.

Beyond the cheap tat, could be a lot of necessities in there that would make a sudden cut off in trade not necessarily impossible, but a disaster. It would have to be done over a period of time in order to maintain Western stability if it were to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats interesting context on why they cant drop Russian oil & gas immediately. But I have to say I think that is a big red mark against Angela Merkel during her 12 years as Chancellor. Like she saw Russia annex Georgia in 2008 then them repeat the same trick in Crimea in 2014. She knew well about the poisonings Putin had ordered twice on UK soil and the stacks of journalists he disappeared. Yet all that was ignored and Germany sat on their hands and allowed their economy to become overly dependent on Russian oil & gas.

Plus the NordStream 2 pipe line was only a few months away from being commissioned so Germany were actually going down the road of yet even more dependency on Russia. They had to be persuaded by the US, Britian and France to give up the second pipeline at the outbreak of war, they sat on the fence for a few days before finally cutting it loose which demonstrates how important it was to them.

It surprises me that Angela Merkel allowed that situation to develop as Id always seen her as a steady hand when it comes to foreign policy. But now it would seem that she actually drastically miscalculated and ignored the many signals of Russia as a potential aggressor and instead made things worse by seeking to source a majority of Germanys energy needs from Russia. Ive no doubt Putin would have been thinking if I can get Germany hooked on cheap Russian gas then he has leverage over them. Ultimately thats whats happened becasue now billions in German money is helping to pay for his war in Ukraine. In light of recent events the German economys over reliance on Russian oil & gas has to be seen as a huge error in their foreign policy. It actually really surprises me that Merkel has led them into this mess.

We used to manufacture our own things. If you're old enough to remember goods that said 'Made in England' 'Made in France' etc. Bring manufacturing back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This and the past few years have been bonkers. If the Chinese openly back and arm Russia, I'll be questioning everything. Do they see the west with a huge Achilles heel?

Take me back to mundane 2019 all is forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Had plenty of time for Merkel, but I'd agree, not the best decision.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not to mention how many other countries are there who are going to take the Chinese side in any sanction war because they are dependent on them financially or economically.

I wonder has anyone ever done a full analysis of just how many items in a household or hospital contain Chinese parts or materials

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Yes I remember the face masks and gowns supplied by China many of which had to be returned because of poor quality:

We might pay more for western manufactured products but they will be of far higher standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@riffmongous - I wonder has anyone ever done a full analysis of just how many items in a household or hospital contain Chinese parts or materials

My mates girlfriend was made in China. Mind you she is a blow-up doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

That's a fair point. Let's say Putin does push it too far and the Russian citizens finally decide they have had enough. China could eventually end up with a very western-friendly government on its border.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Incredible protest on Russia's Channel One news this evening (their equivalent of BBC1 or RTE1). Apparently not a fake either, some people have identified her as an editor at the channel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

But this is still where a lot of that kind of thing seems to be coming from at this point in time. I think people could accept something like a laptop computer becoming a much more serious purchase, because those of us old enough will remember that's what something like a computer used to be, and we could get 10 years out of it, with repairs, but all those sundry things, all the bits and bobs used in many fields of industry might prove more problematic. If their costs are higher, it threatens to make the cost of manufacturing higher and therefore the cost of living yet higher in general, and people are kicking off over that as it is.

I'm not not saying it would be impossible to cut off China, but it would need a more holistic approach than just that act to make it work.

The outsourcing/off-shoring of "dirty" work is one of the stupidest, most short-sighted movements in history. Aside from anything else, if we had to see first-hand the effects of heavy industries and plastics production in our day-to-day lives we'd be an awfully lot more green in pretty short order. At the same time there needs to be a balance, but the running down of manual/unskilled/semi-skilled (along with some "fully" skilled) jobs has a blot of people by now asking "but who would want to do a job that's physically hard?". The stupidity though has stepped up and up as automation means that wage costs wouldn't quadruple the price of a lot of things, it likely wouldn't even double it. As an example, I know a lad off in Taiwan (semi-conductor industry) and between his wages and expenses (let alone extra days off he gets) the company are paying out over a grand a day. And he's not the only one. It's not a low-wage economy by any means. If they can manage to do it in Taiwan there's no (financial) reason it can't be done in Europe. Except that then we'd get to see how the sausage is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

• Advertisement

You dont even need to go western, Taiwan Korea Japan offer a lot of high end stuff at superior quality to china. Think AMD cpu and graphics cards for example. Instead of buying a new 500 euro phone every cpl of years from the Chinese, buy a more expensive korean phone. it will last twice as long. most chinese products are a false economy..think iphones

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement